• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I already designed a moveset to prove that wrong
I already played a game called Super Smash Brothers that would prove that wrong. Sakurai doesn't give people their own move sets because they CAN'T have their own or they CAN. I can design a move set for Toon Link, Ninten, Lucas, Roy, Luigi, Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Pichu. But, that's not how it works, partner.

Starfy, who would he be a clone of???
try reading that post again.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't really see the need to have another Kirby rep. I think that the three that we have now already do a good job representing the series as it is. Perhaps if the Bandanna Dee had a few more appearances that would change my opinion, but eh. I'm mostly indifferent to Bandanna Dee, much like I am with Toad.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Did you know Little Mac can be a clone of Marth?

Neutral B: Same as Marth, but he uses his fist instead of a sword.
Forward B: Rapidly punches just like Marth rapidly slashes
Downward B: Counter Punches
Upward B: Upper Cuts with his fist instead of a sword.

?????????????

Smash Master

With Ganondorf, I think we've seen that anyone could be a clone of anybody.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Well sure, if you are only going for Special Attacks. Most of Mac's basic attacks could work differently, not to mention his Final Smash. Even then, if you had tried putting extra thought into it, you could make his Special Attacks Different enough.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I already played a game called Super Smash Brothers that would prove that wrong. Sakurai doesn't give people their own move sets because they CAN'T have their own or they CAN. I can design a move set for Toon Link, Ninten, Lucas, Roy, Luigi, Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Pichu. But, that's not how it works, partner.
Do yourself a favor and don't talk down to me kid. Galacta Knight has more than enough differences to be his own character. Also, do you have any other proof than a basic pattern that is nowhere near set in stone? No? Thought so. Also, where in the hell did you get the idea that if Dark Samus got in, which would be a slap in the face, that she'd be a clone of Samus in any way/shape/form? Sakurai creates clones because they're similar to other characters. Young Link/Link (Same person) , Pichu/Pikachu (Same pokemon family), Lucas/Ness. (Same overall role in games), Marth/Roy (Fire Emblem games at said time were very basic and used alot of the same mechanics), Captain Falcon/Ganondorf (Time constraints and around the same body structure...or he just got lazy, who knows?). The only thing Samus and Dark Samus share is their name, nothing more, and Dark Samus isn't even really a clone of Samus, it's Metroid Prime modified by the remains of Samus' DNA that was in a Phazon puddle.

Am I to also instantly assume that Toon Zelda would be like Normal Zelda? No, of course not. Lastly, Dark Pit will just be a color scheme and Ninten has no chance.

Even Paper Mario. :troll:
My GOD that hurt....:(

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

His attacks may be simple, but there's still plenty from Punch Out to draw from to spice them up. Such as a Star Meter mechanic to increase the power/knockback of his Star Uppercut, or having a counter attack that causes the opponent to fall into a dizzy state.

Also Doc Louis. Nuff said.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking of Ganondorf, let's say he got a weapon this time around. Which would you guys prefer? The sword(s) or the trident? I'd like to see the sword myself as he's had them in most of his modern incarnations and whatnot. I feel it would work better with a heavy hitter type of character. But the trident would be more unique I suppose. Having a bunch of pokes that can work for a character that relies on spacing, changing quite a bit.

Espio264

Smash Ace
The roster should be a collection of all stars. Some iconic characters are similar enough to other allstars that we can understand their movesets reflecting one another. Ganondorf and Falco deserve to be in one way or another. Dixie can slide with a similar moveset to Diddy and I can honestly get behind DK Jr, but the inclusion of most of these characters, some of which I've never heard of, for the sake of bulking up the roster because cloning is an easy out at the end of production is a stupid way to anticipate what they're giving us. I'd prefer they hold the game to 2015 and give us a roster with proven all stars with permissible movesets.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Doesn't mean that they have to be a clone.
The only character that would be a clone out of the ones you listed you would be Dry Bowser. Every other character can have their own unique moveset.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I was thinking more along the lines of a Mario semi-clone with Mr. Game & Watch's flatness filter and jittery animations, but that'd work too.

I imagine he'd be an original character but original or not, I fully expect Paper Mario would keep Mario's Up-B and Back Throw.
So basically you'd be adding in Jumpman from the Game & Watch Donkey Kong?

Also...for Paper Mario's moveset:

While I admire the idea of keeping some of Normal Mario's signature abilities, I personally think it'd be better to make him diverse in pretty much every way you can.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I already designed a moveset to prove that wrong

Wow now, not a non-cameo appearance since 2000? Dark Matter was a boss in Kirby Mass Attack in 2009, and even if it was a minigame of sorts, that's not a cameo, that's an actual boss, the final boss at that. And I don't need to argue for Zero due to they're all a part of him, asking for Samurai Dark Matter is fine as at the core it's still Zero although not directly.

And to be honest, in the kirby series, where they cycle through big main bosses faster than a pair of shoes, yes, being a boss of multiple games DOES mean something, especially considering it's not something Kirby games have. There's Marx, Nightmare, Daroach, Magolor, and so many more that are just one time shots while Dark Matter is one that kept coming back. Not to mention Dark Matter is the most recurring final boss if you don't count sequels. This isn't Mario, Metroid or Zelda, who continue to have the same major villain come back over and over again, and no, Dedede is not a real major villain.

And okay, I accept your views on Bandanna Dee getting in, but all I'm saying is Dark Matter shouldn't just be a character cast aside.
Minigame. A minigame. In a collection of minigames. Not in the actual story. Not canon. Cameo. Please don't use being the final part of one of many optional minigames as part of why you're arguing for a character in Smash Bros. The technicality you're trying to use still makes them apply as a species. If you're trying to convince me and not just yourself, this isn't the logic to do so.

Dedede is a real major antagonist, with games not featuring some sort of battle with him being a minority to the series. If Dark Matter kept coming back in unrelated Kirby games and not just an arc (since DL2/DL3/64 were all made by a different director from Sakurai), then I could see the validness of that as I would Vaati in the Zelda series. However, the circumstances being, Dark Matter is officially only in 3 Kirby games much how Dark Samus is only in 2 (three if we count the best ending of Prime 1) and how Fawful appears in 3 of the 4 M&L games, being a major antagonist in two of them. Dark Matter was a major antagonist in a few Kirby games. He doesn't represent the series to the same extent Dedede and Meta Knight do. Or how Ridley does for Metroid. Or how Toad does for Mario. Or how Vaati does for Zelda. These are fair comparisons, regardless of the scale of the series compared to Kirby.

In a perfect and over-saturated world where Kirby would get 5 characters, yes, I would completely agree to Dark Matter, but I just don't think as it currently stands that Dark Matter should be considered as a character when Waddle Dee is doing a much better job having a presence in the Kirby series. In the already shoddy chance of a fourth Kirby character, Dark Matter doesn't seem the highest priority in terms of representation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we're talking clones and semi-clones here, am I the only one who has this gut feeling that Falcondorf stays?
I don't want it, but...

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
We don't jump man we have jump 'n' shoot man already.
You deserve a cookie for that. :D

Oh you know, just being bored...
You have the balls to keep Ridley even with all that's going on with Sakurai practically dangling keys in front of our face. I like that, I approve. :D Not sure on Bubble's chances though.

Oh, speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find a reference video of Shin Ogashima? I wanted to design a moveset of Donbe and Hikari.

If we're talking clones and semi-clones here, am I the only one who has this gut feeling that Falcondorf stays?
I don't want it, but...
Now, to be honest, at some point, I was thinking this was going to happen, but after seeing the changes they're making to Bowser and how he's much more like the Bowser we know and love from Mario, I don't really have any worries about Ganondorf being changed for the better. Maybe he'll keep a couple of moves, like the Flame Choke and his final smash, but I can see Ganondorf being finally being the Ganondorf we always wanted in Smash Bros.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Every other character can have their own unique moveset.
Starpy and Leif have their own move sets???

Do yourself a favor and don't talk down to me kid.
Uhhhhh.............whos' talking down to you??? Calling someone "kid" is talking down to. Also how is that doing myself a favor? Wouldn't that just be doing you a favor?

Also, do you have any other proof than a basic pattern that is nowhere near set in stone? No? Thought so.
Don't we usually base things off patterns? Isn't Sakurai doing something 10 times to characters that fit the same criteria enough to assume he'd do it again. That's pretty "set in stone" to me! Or are you just deciding on your own that it doesn't count again? You should also wait for people to respond before assuming they have no response.

Also, where in the hell did you get the idea that if Dark Samus got in, which would be a slap in the face, that she'd be a clone of Samus in any way/shape/form?
Because she can do everything Samus does and has many physical similarities to Samus. That's usually how a character becomes a clone.

Sakurai creates clones because they're similar to other characters.
Isn't that what I just said? Galacta Knight is similar to Meta Knight even if he has differences, he still has similarities.

Pichu/Pikachu (Same pokemon family)
Meta Knight/Galacta Knight (both are round, masked, winged knights that are dopplegangers of each other.) Samus/Dark Samus (both are the same body shape and dopplegangers of each other)

The only thing Samus and Dark Samus share is their name, nothing more
:joyful:(you know Dark Samus has beams and missles right. That's only 2 of countless similarities they have...)

Dark Pit will just be a color scheme and Ninten has no chance.
Why are we talking about Dark Pit being a playable character? Everyone knows that isn't happening. And you are quick to assume Ninten has no chance. That's not true at all. If Ninten didn't wear a hat he'd be a completely different conversation. Ninten could easily be the Wolf of the trio and considering he is the first protagonist he does deserve the spot. Lucas got PK Freeze so why can't we assume that Ninten can get PK Brain Shock & PK Beam? Designing him to look different wouldn't be very hard either.

So fill me in: Where is the tension coming from, again?
Doesn't mean that they have to be a clone.
No it doesn't. It means they very likely will be. Any character CAN have their own moves, it doesn't mean they will.

Even Paper Mario. :troll:
Well, that's not as unexpected as Ganondorf (well maybe it is). But Paper Mario like I said is more in the area of ZS Samus & Sheik, the difference being that he is a seperate character. He has 3 of Mario's specials, but he doesn't really share any physical similarities to Mario other than the fact that he is a drawing resembling Mario. He's a 2D peice of paper. He could very well be a clone of Mario, but it's highly unlikely and would almost defeat the purpose of having him over say other power ups of Mario or Dr. Mario. It's a long shot.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Paper Mario has his hammer, helpers, pixls, stickers, and paper abilities at his disposal.
Mario has none of these except a hammer, but not in Smash.
All points invalid. Paper Mario would become an extremely unique character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So basically you'd be adding in Jumpman from the Game & Watch Donkey Kong?

Also...for Paper Mario's moveset:

While I admire the idea of keeping some of Normal Mario's signature abilities, I personally think it'd be better to make him diverse in pretty much every way you can.
The Ultimate Paper Mario Move Set

Special Animations:

Entrance: Unfolds
Jump: Normal jump animation
Mid-Air Dodge: Bow
Rolling Animation: Vivian. Takes Mario underground and comes back up where his roll animation would end.
Swimming: Sushie OR Paper Boat
Sheild: Bow
Duck: Folds himself
Holding Item: Paper Mario is the first character to hold an item above his head in traditional video game fashion.
Grab: Uses the Pixl; Thoreu. This is a long range grab.
Holding Jump in Mid-air: This turns Paper Mario into an Airplane.

Actual Moves:

A: Punch
AA: Punch, Punch
AAA: Punch, Punch, Hammer
F-tilt: Flip Flop Sticker
D-tilt: Tanooki Tail Sticker
U-tilt: Spiny Hat Sticker
U-throw: Uses Thoreu to throw character upwards.
D-throw: Throws character down and rolls up into a tube form, then proceeds to grind back and forth on the character.
F-throw: Hits the character sideways with a hammer.
N-air: Crumples up into ball just like Wolf & Sonic's N-Air attack.
U-air: Boomer. This Pixl explodes
F-air: Watt. Mario Holds out Watt and he shocks characters obviously
D-air: Spinning Ground Pound
Running attack: Trips and falls. (Same animation used when entering a battle in the first Paper Mario)

U-smash: Fire Flower Sticker. Charge it and Fireballs spit out the top of the flower.
D-smash: Bombette. The longer you charge, the further Bombette walks.
F-smash: Slap Hammer, charging this makes Mario do a spin attack with his hammer.

Neutral Special: Hammer. You charge this attack, if you charge it too long, the head falls off causing only 1% damage. The head can be picked up and thrown as an item.

Forward Sepcial: HurlHammer (BaaHammer, BurnHammer, ChillHammer) A different Hammer is thrown each time, the BaaHammer making you fall asleep, The ChillHammer freezes you, and the BurnHammer burns you.

Downward Special: Kooper/Koops. Works as it does in game. You kick the shell and it comes back to you, Like the game it does not fall of cliffs and it can pick up items.

Upward Special: Parakarry

U-Taunt: Kersti
D-Taunt: Focus
F-Taunt: Appeal
Special Taunt: Goombette comes out and does an analysis of the opponent just like Fox, Falco, and Snake.

FINAL SMASH: Star Beam

You may applaud me now Embarrass

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What new franchises are possibly going to be repped in the next Smash?
This is a topic that interests me a lot, as there are tons of possibilities.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Paper Mario has his hammer, helpers, pixls, stickers, and paper abilities at his disposal.
Mario has none of these except a hammer, but not in Smash.
All points invalid. Paper Mario would become an extremely unique character.
He SHOULD be, and to be honest, he'd probably be really easy to create considering he's a flat character with not very much animations to design. Heck, did you know his walk cycle in Sticker star was just two frames?

Mmmhmm, uh-huh yeah, I see I see..........IHLC

Louie G.

Smash Hero
He SHOULD be, and to be honest, he'd probably be really easy to create considering he's a flat character with not very much animations to design. Heck, did you know his walk cycle in Sticker star was just two frames?

Mmmhmm, uh-huh yeah, I see I see..........IHLC
I didn't, and that's very interesting.
I've watched your video before, but I'm not going to now because I'm in a room with other people and no headphones, so you could have similar ideas, I just forget.
But am I the only one who is against Paper Mario using his partners?
He can easily fight on his own.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The Ultimate Paper Mario Move Set

Special Animations:

Entrance: Unfolds
Jump: Normal jump animation
Mid-Air Dodge: Bow
Rolling Animation: Vivian. Takes Mario underground and comes back up where his roll animation would end.
Swimming: Sushie OR Paper Boat
Sheild: Bow
Duck: Folds himself
Holding Item: Paper Mario is the first character to hold an item above his head in traditional video game fashion.
Grab: Uses the Pixl; Thoreu. This is a long range grab.
Holding Jump in Mid-air: This turns Paper Mario into an Airplane.

Actual Moves:

A: Punch
AA: Punch, Punch
AAA: Punch, Punch, Hammer
F-tilt: Flip Flop Sticker
D-tilt: Tanooki Tail Sticker
U-tilt: Spiny Hat Sticker
U-throw: Uses Thoreu to throw character upwards.
D-throw: Throws character down and rolls up into a tube form, then proceeds to grind back and forth on the character.
F-throw: Hits the character sideways with a hammer.
N-air: Crumples up into ball just like Wolf & Sonic's N-Air attack.
U-air: Boomer. This Pixl explodes
F-air: Watt. Mario Holds out Watt and he shocks characters obviously
D-air: Spinning Ground Pound
Running attack: Trips and falls. (Same animation used when entering a battle in the first Paper Mario)

U-smash: Fire Flower Sticker. Charge it and Fireballs spit out the top of the flower.
D-smash: Bombette. The longer you charge, the further Bombette walks.
F-smash: Slap Hammer, charging this makes Mario do a spin attack with his hammer.

Neutral Special: Hammer. You charge this attack, if you charge it too long, the head falls off causing only 1% damage. The head can be picked up and thrown as an item.

Forward Sepcial: HurlHammer (BaaHammer, BurnHammer, ChillHammer) A different Hammer is thrown each time, the BaaHammer making you fall asleep, The ChillHammer freezes you, and the BurnHammer burns you.

Downward Special: Kooper/Koops. Works as it does in game. You kick the shell and it comes back to you, Like the game it does not fall of cliffs and it can pick up items.

Upward Special: Parakarry

U-Taunt: Kersti
D-Taunt: Focus
F-Taunt: Appeal
Special Taunt: Goombette comes out and does an analysis of the opponent just like Fox, Falco, and Snake.

FINAL SMASH: Star Beam

You may applaud me now Embarrass
Eh...Paper Mario shouldn't really ever have to punch, just make his neutral A your normal Overworld hammer attack, a single strike.

I didn't, and that's very interesting.
I've watched your video before, but I'm not going to now because I'm in a room with other people and no headphones, so you could have similar ideas, I just forget.
But am I the only one who is against Paper Mario using his partners?
He can easily fight on his own.
He doesn't HAVE to, but it's a nice way to show that Paper Mario pulls out abilities from all four titles in the franchise, so using different partners is a good way to do so. To be honest, alot of his diversity comes from the use of his partners, if not, he'd be stuck with mainly different hammer attacks.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Do you guys think Paper Mario should rep his own franchise or Mario?
They are different enough to separate them.
I was thinking this a few months ago around the time of initially starting designs for Smash Bros characters, and with that, I say possibly, but most likely not. If he did, that would be great as it'd open up more opportunities for the fantastic characters the franchise has to offer, including the likes of Dimentio, but sadly I don't think that's the case, it's still Mario after all, and will probably be affiliated with the Mario franchise.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wonder Red is not in, so don't try to pretend he is. Even if I do like the idea...
Yea. The fact of the matter is that particular strings would have to be pulled for him to be in, but depending on if Wonderful 101 does any better than now, he could always wind up as DLC if it ends up happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom