• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Who is that between Ness & Samus?
^Someone who is way too big for the Roster.

Vul: Oh brother!

Frankly, this is pretty much how I feel whenever people make that "Ridley is too big" statement. If people could just look at Bowser's size history, they'd know that size is an irrelevant excuse for not making certain characters playable.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Frankly, this is pretty much how I feel whenever people make that "Ridley is too big" statement. If people could just look at Bowser's size history, they'd know that size is an irrelevant excuse for not making certain characters playable.

Hey guess what, maybe it's called, I don't know, A JOKE?

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127

Vul: Oh brother!

Should have added the trollface to my post.
Thought that "Ridley is too big" is already a meme like Sakurai: *laughs*

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
^Someone who is way too big for the Roster.
Oww ****t my bad ya'll...i dunno i was looking at the pic wrong...sounds weird i really dont know how to explain it...i thought it was Weavel but just asking to make sure lol...****...its Ridley...yh hes way too big..theres rumors going around that if you select him you experience another loading screen.

Because only the insane dream high. (And yes, 6 StarFox dudes without Krystal. Come at me bro)

Dunno who Leon is but he looks sick/cool.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is so big, there's no longer "Yo Momma" joke, but "Yo Ridley" jokes.

Yo Ridley is so big, he casts a shadow....on himself. :awesome:

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Dunno who Leon is but he looks sick/cool.
I don't know him either since I never played any of the Star Fox games (shame on me), but he is one of Wolf's helpers and Falco's rival.

Edit: I'll post my less lunatic roster here soon.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's finally time people see the SSB4 roster the way it's suppose to be. This is a REALISTIC Roster that follows the rules of SSB.

1. Must be a Nintendo Character
2. Must be able to fight with a sufficient move set and not look stupid while doing it.
3. 4 characters per universe (CURRENTLY)
4. They must be MAIN characters, not obscure ones (Ex: Geno, C. Syrup, or lie....the Ninten's Dog from Mother 1.
5. Sonic Snake are iconic characters that have a huge history Nintendo. They're appearance does not enable ANYBODY WHO APPEARS ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE, like Dillion and Pushmo.

Alas, Here it is MY SUPER SMASH BROS. UNIVERSE ROSTER. PLEASE COMMENT AND DISCUSS.

D

Deleted member

@Noah: 1st Row: Perfect.

2nd Row: Already we've hit a problem. Why would Ninten be on the roster? He's not very unique from Ness or Lucas and barely anyone is asking for him. Starfy also follows under one of the characters that Sakurai ruled out as during Brawl, he did not consider anyone after Pikmin to lend a playable character and this includes Starfy. Drop both of them.

3rd Row: Eirika needs to go. Her time to get in has passed and barely anyone has asked for her. I'd suggest replacing her with Roy, who is highly requested to return and was planned to return in Brawl. Sheriff I also doubt but your mileage may vary there.

4th Row: I'd suggest replacing Matthew with Isaac since Isaac is more important to his series overall and is much more highly requested. Karis is not getting in. Lucario also needs to return since he's been heavily promoted by the Pokémon Company, so I doubt they will want Lucario to leave. Palutena should also be added due to being highly requested and being incredibly important to her series (especially with Uprising).

5th Row: As much as I love Ray, he's not getting in since not many people are asking for him, so he needs to go. Bomberman sadly has to be dropped as well since his franchise is dead and there's no reason to believe that it'll be brought back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@Noah: 1st Row: Perfect.

You seem to think The SSB4 roster is SOLELY what fans want and NOTHING else. If that was the case we'd have silly characters like Geno, Master Cheif, Mr. L and all that.

If you HAD watched the actually video you'd be aware of the following things

1. Ninten has various PSI moves (Teleport, Beam, Ground, Hypnosis) And can easily be redesigned
2. Leaf was the original choice appose to Eirika BOTH of which are clones of Marth. They are just as likely as Roy if not more.
3. There are tons of alternate choices I had that you missed.
4. Don't base your roster on what is REQUESTED. Base it on what NINTENDO will do.

IMPORTANT: Once we have Mewthree, there will be NO reason to have Lucario. he was in it because that was the most recent Pok'emon at the time. Which is why almost no fan roster STILL has him. MewThree is guranteed. So that's like having Young Link AND Toon Link. Even if we don't have Mewtree he STILL won't be in it. Nor do I think Paulatena will. Also she was NEVER planned for brawl.

What is YOUR roster?
Hi guys, I'm new here. Here is my roster:

Please enough with Wolf Link. We don't need a real wolf on Super Smash Bros. What about Skull Kid, huh? I like that you have Raichu, he's one of my MOST wanted reps, but since there's like 700 pok'emon, they may not have him. I really protest Paulatena because I just don't see it. Same with Ridley. Also Where is Chrome by the way. And if we have 3 Star Fox characters with the same moves that implies we are not gonna have more even if she doesn't have the same moves, it's unbalanced. You also have no X & Y reps. You're also missing a lot of likely characters. Issac/Matthew, Mewthree, Chrome, Ray, Takamru, Starfy, and Ninten (and just saying because everyone's being an idiot by not even considering the tons of different PSI moves he can use and with modern technology you can actually program a character to look different from another character! Isn't that amazing! :D)

My current roster prediction picture (the same one I'll use in Toise's bet -- when we actually get another deadline, so it's been made with his restrictions in mind)

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are still included, even though they don't have pictures.

Last edited 05/08/13 (roster change - hopefully the last before E3)
No point in having Toon Zelda if we have Toon Link, it's excessive. Like having Paper Mario & Paper Luigi. Same applies for having Lucario AND Mewtwo, just get rid of both and have Mewthree from X & Y. You have no rep from recent pokemon games and you also dont have chrome. Pac-Man is DEAD. Nobody plays Pac Man anymore. Pauletena and Ridley I appose. and other than that your fine.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Please enough with Wolf Link. We don't need a real wolf on Super Smash Bros. What about Skull Kid, huh? I like that you have Raichu, he's one of my MOST wanted reps, but since there's like 700 pok'emon, they may not have him. I really protest Paulatena because I just don't see it. Same with Ridley. Also Where is Chrome by the way. And if we have 3 Star Fox characters with the same moves that implies we are not gonna have more even if she doesn't have the same moves, it's unbalanced. You also have no X & Y reps. You're also missing a lot of likely characters. Issac/Matthew, Mewthree, Chrome, Ray, Takamru, Starfy, and Ninten (and just saying because everyone's being an idiot by not even considering the tons of different PSI moves he can use and with modern technology you can actually program a character to look different from another character! Isn't that amazing! :D)
You don't even have Shulk on your list so........................................... you don't really have the right to criticise these peoples roster. Also, Palutena is the #1 most likely newcomer.
There won't be 4 FE reps either. And what SSBF said.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
No point in having Toon Zelda if we have Toon Link, it's excessive. Like having Paper Mario & Paper Luigi. Same applies for having Lucario AND Mewtwo, just get rid of both and have Mewthree from X & Y. You have no rep from recent pokemon games and you also dont have chrome. Pac-Man is DEAD. Nobody plays Pac Man anymore. Pauletena and Ridley I appose. and other than that your fine.
A few things.

1. You posted in the wrong thread. Lol

2. There's no Mewthree. It's still Mewtwo.

3. Saying what you did about Pac-Man is completely wrong and a terrible reason to remove him from a roster. Just because you don't see people talking about Pac-Man anymore doesn't mean that nobody plays his games. There's people that still play freaking Atari 2600 games for god's sake. This should tell you that your argument against Pac-Man is very faulty.

D

Deleted member

Did not realize I was on the Roster Prediction Display Thread.
Noah J. Linderer said:
You seem to think The SSB4 roster is SOLELY what fans want and NOTHING else. If that was the case we'd have silly characters like Geno, Master Cheif, Mr. L and all that.
I consider a variety of factors when it comes to characters aside from popularity; the most important including importance, uniqueness, if the character can fit in, if the character has potential to appeal to people regardless of its popularity and Sakurai's own bias as well.

Your generalization of me assuming that popularity was the only thing I considered is also untrue, especially since I also hit on importance hard when it came to your choices.
Noah J. LInderer said:
1. Ninten has various PSI moves (Teleport, Beam, Ground, Hypnosis) And can easily be redesigned
Okay, but it still doesn't cover two major issues with Ninten; that he doesn't appeal to other people and that he missed his chance of getting in. While popularity isn't everything, it does play a role. Ninten was never a highly requested character and the quality of his game wasn't considered as good as the two successive games. He might have been the first character in his series, but that didn't get him into previous games and it won't now.
Noah J. Linderer said:
2. Leaf was the original choice appose to Eirika BOTH of which are clones of Marth. They are just as likely as Roy if not more.
That's questionable at best, considering that it came out of cednym, who was banned from NeoGAF for failing to prove what he was talking about. At best take it with a grain of salt.
Noah J. Linderer said:
3. There are tons of alternate choices I had that you missed.
And most of them will not be getting in this game because they have too much going against them to be serious contenders. Saki and Dixie Kong are the only two alternate characters with a realistic shot of getting in.
Noah J. Linderer said:
4. Don't base your roster on what is REQUESTED. Base it on what NINTENDO will do.
It's Sakurai that for the most part, decides the roster.
IMPORTANT: Once we have Mewthree, there will be NO reason to have Lucario. he was in it because that was the most recent Pok'emon at the time. Which is why almost no fan roster STILL has him. MewThree is guranteed. So that's like having Young Link AND Toon Link. Even if we don't have Mewtree he STILL won't be in it. Nor do I think Paulatena will. Also she was NEVER planned for brawl.
I heavily doubt Lucario was added just for recentness as recentness is not indicative of what the character is and just that the character has made recent appearance. Being the mascot of the 4th gen along with being incredibly popular is what got him in.

And who's to say that Lucario and Mewtwo (not Mewthree) can't co-exist? They were going to do so in Brawl as Sakurai planned for them to return. Lucario also remains important to Pokémon thanks to being heavily advertised and still being very popular. I doubt the Pokémon Company will want Lucario to go.

And comparing Lucario and Mewtwo to Young Link and Toon Link is dumb. Lucario and Mewtwo are completely unique from each other whereas Young Link and Toon Link are just two different Link's.

And why is Palutena not being planned for Brawl an issue, especially when she became much more important after Kid Icarus: Uprising?
Noah J. Linderer said:
What is YOUR roster?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Actually, I rather prefer to point out Olimar.

Pikmin is set in a post apocaliptic-earth apparently, and throughout Pikmin 1 you can find Coca-Cola (or was it pepsi?) bottle caps and these are actually bigger in size than Olimar. When compared to someone like Mario who is supposed to be average short person, Olimar should be smaller than his boot... yet, we can clearly see he is still playable, despite his actual cannon size. (Also, Duracell batteries that are 4 times as high as Olimar).

Could someone be so kind as to point to me how I can make one of these rosters? I am rather bad at photoshop or copy pasting in paint. Is there an online website that helps me with that? :)

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm fine with Ridley being re-sized but the olimar argument doesn't really work. The thing that makes Ridley problematic is Samus. Ridley's size is relative to samus because they both exist in the same game. Samus has a realistic human structure so her size needs to be similar to other realistic humans in smash. Olimar's size is not relative to anyone else's in his game that exists in smash, so in brawl he can be scaled.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This man apposes Ridley and Palutena?

Why not just slap me in the face and shoot Ivysaur why don't ya?

D

Deleted member

I think I know who he is actually.....he's not going to redeem himself. He's a guy from YouTube named XxSilverSaturnX. I can tell you from what I've seen from him that he won't be redeemable.
The dumbass that thinks Baby Yoshi should be a playable clone because they're "cute"?

Yeah, redemption is not going to happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok. *punches you and shoots venasaur*

It's his choice though.
At least you knocked me unconscious so I didn't have to witness that terrible event.

Actually, I rather prefer to point out Olimar.

Pikmin is set in a post apocaliptic-earth apparently, and throughout Pikmin 1 you can find Coca-Cola (or was it pepsi?) bottle caps and these are actually bigger in size than Olimar. When compared to someone like Mario who is supposed to be average short person, Olimar should be smaller than his boot... yet, we can clearly see he is still playable, despite his actual cannon size. (Also, Duracell batteries that are 4 times as high as Olimar).

Could someone be so kind as to point to me how I can make one of these rosters? I am rather bad at photoshop or copy pasting in paint. Is there an online website that helps me with that? :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-5-0.336761/#post-15542782

Here ya go!

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'd refer you to http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-5-0.336761/

I downloaded it and tested it with no problems. However, every time you open it, you will likely get a warning with a subheading of "Bad Image" that tells you it either isn't designed to work on windows or contains an error. I ignored it when I downloaded version 3 of this program, and neither did it damage my computer at all, nor was there any noticeable/major missing functions. It's up to you if you wanna use it. It's just my personal recommendation.

I'm fine with Ridley being re-sized but the olimar argument doesn't really work. The thing that makes Ridley problematic is Samus. Ridley's size is relative to samus because they both exist in the same game. Samus has a realistic human structure so her size needs to be similar to other realistic humans in smash. Olimar's size is not relative to anyone else's in his game that exists in smash, so in brawl he can be scaled.
Ridley's size isn't consistent in the Metroid games, either. That being said, there is no issue with resizing him.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Well, its hard to argue against that because you claim its the size proportion to characters from your own series and you also state that because of Samus' human shape she must remain at her current size to fit in. Still, looking at the other series of this kind, we've got Zelda, which I just looked for pictures and is actually quite exactly as it is in Twilight Princess, the proportions are actually almost exactly the same (Ganon to Link).

So I will have to resort to the already mentioned Bowser, even though Bowser has many different incarnations, in most of these said incarnations, Bowser is at least 3 times as big as Mario, yet in Smash, Bowser isn't even 2ce as big. (He isn't even as big as Ganondorf, and quite honestly he should be)

Yes, the difference isn't as big as Samus' and Ridley and yes, it can be claimed that said Bowser incarnation is one from the portable games or from the more current games (he seems to be getting smaller with each game IMO), but still it is noted that a big character can be re-sized in a way that still makes him look bigger but makes him fit nicely.

Edit: Actually looking at screens from Super Metroid (hadn't played it in a long time) and some of the portable games, Ridley to Samus proportion is actually very close to the Mario to Bowser proportions we can see in Galaxy and Mario 64, if not smaller. So, I actually don't see where the too big argument comes from.

Thanks!

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ridley's size isn't consistent in the Metroid games, either. That being said, there is no issue with resizing him.
You could consider the most recent installments as "up to date". Also the original metroid was limited due the hardware at the time (and when it was redone Ridley was much bigger). I'm almost positive he'll be in smash4 but the size is defiantly a problem we'll have to overlook.

His average size at least, is going to be much bigger than he will be in smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No offense to that one kids roster but...ugh.

Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth. What I meant to say was, it is incredibly questionable, and I would hardly call that realistic.

D

Deleted member

Oh ****, not a size argument again....

Olimar is given a specific size of being the same size as a US quarter (which is less than an inch). Next example of height is Kirby at 8 inches.
Regardless of being from different series, logic dictates that by their established units of measure, Kirby, while quite small, is still larger than Olimar by far.
Yet, Olimar is actually taller than Kirby in Brawl.

Then there's the fact you can pick up a detached head of a R.O.B. in Pikmin 2 as a treasure (there's your in-game example).
Olimar is smaller than one of the R.O.B.'s eyes. Yet Olimar stands at chest level with R.O.B. in Brawl.

And one I can't confirm presently is that one of the games had a size comparison between Mario and Olimar in the instruction manual, with Olimar pretty much being nothing more than an ant to the mustachioed plumber.

EDIT: As for a non-Olimar example, just look at Pikachu and Charizard. (I've already addressed the glaring inconsistency between the two a while back).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
There's also the fact that the size of the Ridley in the Melee intro is the perfect size for him if he appears as a playable in Smash.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Oh ****, not a size argument again....

Olimar is given a specific size of being the same size as a US quarter (which is less than an inch). Next example of height is Kirby at 8 inches.
Regardless of being from different series, logic dictates that by their established units of measure, Kirby, while quite small, is still larger than Olimar by far.
Yet, Olimar is actually taller than Kirby in Brawl.

Then there's the fact you can pick up a detached head of a R.O.B. in Pikmin 2 as a treasure (there's your in-game example).
Olimar is smaller than one of the R.O.B.'s eyes. Yet Olimar stands at chest level with R.O.B. in Brawl.

And one I can't confirm presently is that one of the games had a size comparison between Mario and Olimar in the instruction manual, with Olimar pretty much being nothing more than an ant to the mustachioed plumber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6PNIjgjU_o
There's your giant rob for ya. Size relativity still a thing.

Besides an easter egg isn't as important to be scaled properly as a hero and a villain are.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Ok to end this, and move on. Why don't we all look at the melee trailer. Honestly I love the Metroid games, but I am not a "hard-core fan" so I don't want to answer my own question, so this question is to everyone who considers themselves a real Metroid hard-core fan. Does Ridley look ridiculous in the melee trailer? Or those he look okay?

In my own opinion he looks quite nice and very cool, and yet, he has a size that would fit the game just perfectly. So if it can be done in a trailer, why can't it be done in game?

Edit:

There's also the fact that the size of the Ridley in the Melee intro is the perfect size for him if he appears as a playable in Smash.

Dude, you read my mind, lol.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ok to end this, and move on. Why don't we all look at the melee trailer. Honestly I love the Metroid games, but I am not a "hard-core fan" so I don't want to answer my own question, so this question is to everyone who considers themselves a real Metroid hard-core fan. Does Ridley look ridiculous in the melee trailer? Or those he look okay?

In my own opinion he looks quite nice and very cool, and yet, he has a size that would fit the game just perfectly. So if it can be done in a trailer, why can't it be done in game?

Edit:

Dude, you read my mind, lol.
Because......derp. I agree that the size from the Melee intro is perfect.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we're talking about size, how about Olimar compared to Captain Falcon? In the cut scene in SSE when they join Donkey Kong and Diddy, Olimar is clearly up to Captain Falcon's waist. He is essentially the size of an average man.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A few things.

1. You posted in the wrong thread. Lol

2. There's no Mewthree. It's still Mewtwo.

3. Saying what you did about Pac-Man is completely wrong and a terrible reason to remove him from a roster. Just because you don't see people talking about Pac-Man anymore doesn't mean that nobody plays his games. There's people that still play freaking Atari 2600 games for god's sake. This should tell you that your argument against Pac-Man is very faulty.
Whatever his name is doesn't matter and it hasn't been confirmed that it is STILL Mewtwo, but in a different form.

Also My argument of Pac-Man is not faulty. Why would Nintendo want to waste a GUEST SLOT on PAC-MAN!?!?!? What would Pac-Man even do anyway? When I say people don't play his games, I think you took that literally. People play Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde don't they? And it is actually A GOOD reason to remove him whether you agree or not. I'm just saying it is a REALLY dumb choice and Nintendo would never put Pac-Man in SSB. People can finally see that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom