• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
BTW has anyone seen the Sonic: Lost World Trailer? I think this game looks pretty good. I might have to finally buy this one.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Not sure if I've posted here, so I shall do so now. Two things to say about the roster itself:

1. Mewtwo also has the sixth generation transformation​
2. Chrom is exchangeable with any Awakening character that is most deserving/most fun (basically he is an Awakening placeholder)​
As for the separate bottom row, those are examples of alternations that can be used to customized some of the above characters: Mario, Bowser, Diddy, Pichu, Samus, Pit, Ridley, Claus, Mega Man, and Marth respectively. There could be many, many more, but I went with just one row to illustrate the concept that has been discussed for SSB4 that I have always been an advocate of.

I'd add DLC characters like the OP did, but there'd be so many because at that point I'd just be adding a bunch that I'd enjoy playing. :laugh:

Now that I've posted the best roster that anyone could ever come up with, I guess this thread is all about wrapped up, huh?

D

Deleted member

So it's Super Sonic Galaxy? :troll:
Huh.
Guess this confirms my suspicion that Eggman won't be around for a while until he figures out how to get out of "nothing". This may be the first time in a main series game that Eggman plays no role as a villain whatsoever, since it doesn't look like these "Deadly Six" have any sort of affiliation to the good doctor.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Going back to the rob discussion, I think the possibility still stands that he could get cut, but if it did it would have nothing to do with his popularity. Has anybody really wondered why he was added to brawl? I think it was because he was a character with no background and not a rep from any series, so he worked well as a character added 100 % for the story. Basically Rob is a smash original character (I know he has had his cameos and stuff but smash is the first time he has actually had a story). So really what it boils down to is if rob makes sense in the story again, and if sakurai thinks that it's the right thing to do. If he doesn't fit in the story, sakurai could still put him in in an awkward way and I don't think anyone would mind. But I still think the possibility stands and it has nothing to do with his popularity, just like adding him had nothing to do with popularity.

I think Mii's are in a similar boat. If sakurai wants to do something with them he will, regardless of their popularity. Not being a specific series rep changes things.

Don't get me wrong I like rob and would not be sad or anything if he was included, I just think saying someone is dead wrong when they don't have rob is thinking with clouded judgement. I would say that the guy was on to something if the rest of his roster wasn't utter bull****.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Noler_Mass
I'm itching to take your argument the extremes. :p (It's joke with a hint of truth, so don't take it too seriously.)

AS you mention that R.O.B played a big role in SSE, you forget that Game & Watch also had an important background role, being a source of the Shadow Bugs. So he could be cut for similar reasons, amirite? :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Going back to the rob discussion, I think the possibility still stands that he could get cut, but if it did it would have nothing to do with his popularity. Has anybody really wondered why he was added to brawl? I think it was because he was a character with no background and not a rep from any series, so he worked well as a character added 100 % for the story. Basically Rob is a smash original character (I know he has had his cameos and stuff but smash is the first time he has actually had a story). So really what it boils down to is if rob makes sense in the story again, and if sakurai thinks that it's the right thing to do. If he doesn't fit in the story, sakurai could still put him in in an awkward way and I don't think anyone would mind. But I still think the possibility stands and it has nothing to do with his popularity, just like adding him had nothing to do with popularity.

I think Mii's are in a similar boat. If sakurai wants to do something with them he will, regardless of their popularity. Not being a specific series rep changes things.

Don't get me wrong I like rob and would not be sad or anything if he was included, I just think saying someone is dead wrong when they don't have rob is thinking with clouded judgement. I would say that the guy was on to something if the rest of his roster wasn't utter bull****.
The story is built around the characters, the characters aren't built around the story, and ROB is hardly a Smash-original character, even if Smash gave him the biggest exposure since the mid-80s. ROB was added for significance to Nintendo, like already said. And him being cut is fairly unlikely. Reminds me of when people thought G&W would get cut in Brawl...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
The story is built around the characters, the characters aren't built around the story, and ROB is hardly a Smash-original character, even if Smash gave him the biggest exposure since the mid-80s. ROB was added for significance to Nintendo, like already said. And him being cut is fairly unlikely. Reminds me of when people thought G&W would get cut in Brawl...
I would say that's true for everyone's case except ROB. I'm not saying I know for sure but since he has significance within the story and really the specific ROB that you do get is a smash original character, ancient minister, he is simply in a different boat popularity-wise. I doubt he was simply added for his significance to Nintendo because (you can show me I'm wrong here) but I was of the impression that the whole ROB toy thing was not very well received and kind of sucked in general, which has led to the toy being so rare now which in itself has given it quite a following. It seems to me that they would have added him because he fit the role of the ancient minster well. It would've felt awkward if they used a series specific character as the ancient minister, so instead they chose ROB. so in the next game the ancient minister will probably not be involved, so they may decide to drop ROB. I'm not saying its likely that he will get dropped I'm just saying its possible. And as far as I can tell, game and watch represents the game and watch games, so that's completely different.

If you can find a source that says that ROB was added before the story, and not to fit the role of ancient minister, I will believe you.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If you can find a source that says that ROB was added before the story, and not to fit the role of ancient minister, I will believe you.
I strongly believe the burden of proof lies upon you, since it was YOU who claimed that ROB was added because of the SSE.

Regardless, I suggest you to check ROB's dojo page.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
It's very easy to simply take another character as the ancient minister. Bringing in ROB for the sake of the story would be like saying Wario was brought in so he could be a villain, or G&W was brought in so Flat Zone could be a stage. All of them are significant in their own way. ROB came at a difficult time for video games and contributed to saving the industry itself. He's a great surprise pick, and Sakurai would have wanted a retro. There's been absolutely no evidence to the fact that ROB was put in because Sakurai was incapable of putting anyone except an obscure toy robot into the position of the mysterious villain-turned-hero.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I strongly believe the burden of proof lies upon you, since it was YOU who claimed that ROB was added because of the SSE.

Regardless, I suggest you to check ROB's dojo page.
I'm merely suggesting that it could be the case.

I checked out his dojo page and I don't see what it has to do with it, if you are suggesting that "his playfulness" is the reason that he was added, it could be likely that its just a cover for him being added for the ancient minister role. Remember this was released before the game came out so saying that ROB is the ancient minister would be a pretty huge spoiler.

All I'm arguing is that he has a chance, be it a small one, that ROB could get cut, since he it COULD be the case that he was added to play the role of ancient minister. Saying that ROB has a 100% guarantee to make it and mocking whoever says so just proves ignorance. Don't get me wrong I don't care morally or anything, mock away I agree that his roster was bull****, but cutting ROB is a possibility. Don't pretend to know sakurais motives. And don't say that I'm acting like I know his motives which I know you will, I'm saying that it could be this way. I could be wrong but we won't know until we get word from sakurai himself.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would say that's true for everyone's case except ROB. I'm not saying I know for sure but since he has significance within the story and really the specific ROB that you do get is a smash original character, ancient minister, he is simply in a different boat popularity-wise. I doubt he was simply added for his significance to Nintendo because (you can show me I'm wrong here) but I was of the impression that the whole ROB toy thing was not very well received and kind of sucked in general, which has led to the toy being so rare now which in itself has given it quite a following. It seems to me that they would have added him because he fit the role of the ancient minster well. It would've felt awkward if they used a series specific character as the ancient minister, so instead they chose ROB. so in the next game the ancient minister will probably not be involved, so they may decide to drop ROB. I'm not saying its likely that he will get dropped I'm just saying its possible. And as far as I can tell, game and watch represents the game and watch games, so that's completely different.

Sakurai has said in the past the characters are one of the first things decided upon when developing Smash, so, like FalKoopa said, if you disagree with what has already been established, it's up to you to prove so.

And the actual toy ROB itself wasn't great, that much is true, but it managed to get the NES on store shelves and into peoples' homes, as it helped assure retailers and consumers the NES wasn't purely a video game system (whether that's true or not). Once the NES picked up steam and people embraced the gaming aspect of it, Nintendo felt comfortable in dropping ROB, that's why his production was limited. What ROB managed to accomplish is a large part of Nintendo's history, and is a turning point in the company itself, so his inclusion is justified, he had a larger impact on Nintendo than many other characters in the roster.

And if Sakurai really wanted a series-neutral character to be the Ancient Minister, he simply could've made the character original to Smash, like Tabuu, the Hands, and really almost all the SSE enemies. But the story was created with the roster in mind, and was built around the characters. Sakurai said as much.
Sakurai talking about the writing process of the SSE said:
I didn’t ask him to write everything from scratch though. I explained the world of Smash Bros. and its characters and then asked for his help
The adventure mode was built around the characters, which were decided first.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
It's very easy to simply take another character as the ancient minister. Bringing in ROB for the sake of the story would be like saying Wario was brought in so he could be a villain, or G&W was brought in so Flat Zone could be a stage. All of them are significant in their own way. ROB came at a difficult time for video games and contributed to saving the industry itself. He's a great surprise pick, and Sakurai would have wanted a retro. There's been absolutely no evidence to the fact that ROB was put in because Sakurai was incapable of putting anyone except an obscure toy robot into the position of the mysterious villain-turned-hero.
The thing is, think about how awkward it would have been if ancient minister was a series specific character. It's kind of hard to put it into words but its kind of like since the ancient minister is an original character in the Nintendo crossover, the character behind the mask would've had to be someone who can represent Nintendo as a whole, not just a specific series. And I'm not saying he is incapable. Did I ever say he is incapable? Sakurai is a god. He could've have made it work. I'm saying that this could have been his train of thought.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm merely suggesting that it could be the case.

I checked out his dojo page and I don't see what it has to do with it, if you are suggesting that "his playfulness" is the reason that he was added, it could be likely that its just a cover for him being added for the ancient minister role. Remember this was released before the game came out so saying that ROB is the ancient minister would be a pretty huge spoiler.

All I'm arguing is that he has a chance, be it a small one, that ROB could get cut, since he it COULD be the case that he was added to play the role of ancient minister. Saying that ROB has a 100% guarantee to make it and mocking whoever says so just proves ignorance. Don't get me wrong I don't care morally or anything, mock away I agree that his roster was bull****, but cutting ROB is a possibility. Don't pretend to know sakurais motives. And don't say that I'm acting like I know his motives which I know you will, I'm saying that it could be this way. I could be wrong but we won't know until we get word from sakurai himself.
No one has been mocking anyone. And no one has a 100% guarantee of getting in, just really, really close. Mario COULD be cut because Sakurai thinks he is too bland and that smaller series need the representation more than he does. I COULD someday grow eyes out of the back of my head. Just because the chance is near infinitesimally small does not mean it doesn't exist. But that also doesn't mean you need to bring it up.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Sakurai has said in the past the characters are one of the first things decided upon when developing Smash, so, like FalKoopa said, if you disagree with what has already been established, it's up to you to prove so.

And the actual toy ROB itself wasn't great, that much is true, but it managed to get the NES on store shelves and into peoples' homes, as it helped assure retailers and consumers the NES wasn't purely a video game system (whether that's true or not). Once the NES picked up steam and people embraced the gaming aspect of it, Nintendo felt comfortable in dropping ROB, that's why his production was limited. What ROB managed to accomplish is a large part of Nintendo's history, and is a turning point in the company itself, so his inclusion is justified, he had a larger impact on Nintendo than many other characters in the roster.

And if Sakurai really wanted a series-neutral character to be the Ancient Minister, he simply could've made the character original to Smash, like Tabuu, the Hands, and really almost all the SSE enemies. But the story was created with the roster in mind, and was built around the characters. Sakurai said as much.

The adventure mode was built around the characters, which were decided first.
That actually is a pretty convincing tidbit at the end, could I see the whole article.

Well I'm actually going to say that you have me mainly convinced you are right now. You obviously are not one of the ignorant ones who think ROB is a shoo-in, you have evidence and I can respect that. While it still could be the case that they picked ROB for out of the ordinary reasons, you basically have me convinced otherwise. Good debate, you win. :)

No one has been mocking anyone. And no one has a 100% guarantee of getting in, just really, really close. Mario COULD be cut because Sakurai thinks he is too bland and that smaller series need the representation more than he does. I COULD someday grow eyes out of the back of my head. Just because the chance is near infinitesimally small does not mean it doesn't exist. But that also doesn't mean you need to bring it up.
^^^^^^^^^ prime example of mocking. Also look one page back to where they are talking about ROB and look in the dictionary at the definition of mocking. You will see some similarities.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That actually is a pretty convincing tidbit at the end, could I see the whole article.
It's part of the Iwata Asks.

Well I'm actually going to say that you have me mainly convinced you are right now. You obviously are not one of the ignorant ones who think ROB is a shoo-in, you have evidence and I can respect that. While it still could be the case that they picked ROB for out of the ordinary reasons, you basically have me convinced otherwise.
No, I don't think ROB is a shoo-in to return, but I would say chances are very very likely he'll be back, unless Sakurai is doing some significant roster trimming, which I doubt.

Good debate, you win. :)
[collapse=Hurray!]
[/collapse]
Haha, just kidding, it's not really about "winning", I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind why some more seemingly questionable characters were chosen in hopes that if something similar happens with SSB4, people will understand why, and so they can better understand Sakurai's trends, because he's a crafty little guy. ;)

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^^^^^ prime example of mocking. Also look one page back to where they are talking about ROB and look in the dictionary at the definition of mocking. You will see some similarities.
I'm not mocking you, I'm demonstrating the fallacies of an argument. I have no ill will towards you, and am seriously considering your argument. Of course, this is the Internet. I can see how one who thinks that I'm hostile towards you would say that is mocking.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The roster is quite good. I would only disagree on cutting Lucario and Ike, and on adding Micaiah. The rest is good.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Same here as far as what shinpichu said. Although, i'd rather have Lloyd than Pac-Man.

Pretty decent roster.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
It's pretty good. Only things I'd disagree with are cutting Lucario and Ike, and the addition of Masked Man and Micaiah.
Thanks. I cut Lucario because he's no more significant than the second or third gen pokemon. We got our Jhoto pokemon in Melee, and it got cut by the next installment. It's not hard to assume Lucario will suffer the same fate.

Cutting Ike was painful, but I refuse to have three sword-wielders to represent Fire Emblem. It misrepresents the series, imo. I added Micaiah since she was the other main character of Radiant Dawn and is a spellcaster.

I added Masked Man to complete the Mother series representation. I can be said that Mother doesn't "deserve" a third rep, but the roster is still balanced, so I don't see a problem with it. Thanks for the feedback :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My main qualm is the cutting of Lucario and Ike. Micaiah is also a questionable addition. I'm okay with Masked Man though. And the rest is great.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Same here as far as what shinpichu said. Although, i'd rather have Lloyd than Pac-Man.

Pretty decent roster.
I've actually been considering Lloyd Irving, but I ultimately decided against him since the other 3 companies have their mascot. Thanks for the feedback

My main qualm is the cutting of Lucario and Ike. Micaiah is also a questionable addition. I'm okay with Masked Man though. And the rest is great.
"Thanks. I cut Lucario because he's no more significant than the second or third gen pokemon. We got our Jhoto pokemon in Melee, and it got cut by the next installment. It's not hard to assume Lucario will suffer the same fate.

Cutting Ike was painful, but I refuse to have three sword-wielders to represent Fire Emblem. It misrepresents the series, imo. I added Micaiah since she was the other main character of Radiant Dawn and is a spellcaster."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Thanks. I cut Lucario because he's no more significant than the second or third gen pokemon. We got our Jhoto pokemon in Melee, and it got cut by the next installment. It's not hard to assume Lucario will suffer the same fate.
Lucario was(and still is) far more popular than Pichu ever was/is. Game Freak still uses him for promotion, while Pichu has been all but forgotten.

Not gonna comment on your FE justification because it's very personal. Personally I would have kept Ike and had Robin(the Avatar) if you wanted a mage.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Cutting Ike was painful, but I refuse to have three sword-wielders to represent Fire Emblem. It misrepresents the series, imo. I added Micaiah since she was the other main character of Radiant Dawn and is a spellcaster.

I added Masked Man to complete the Mother series representation. I can be said that Mother doesn't "deserve" a third rep, but the roster is still balanced, so I don't see a problem with it. Thanks for the feedback :)
EVERYBODYS HERE! TODAY'S A VERY AWESOME DAY!!!!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, G0ld3n L0tus, as a tip: don't double post. If you have something else to say, just edit your previous post.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Huh.
Guess this confirms my suspicion that Eggman won't be around for a while until he figures out how to get out of "nothing". This may be the first time in a main series game that Eggman plays no role as a villain whatsoever, since it doesn't look like these "Deadly Six" have any sort of affiliation to the good doctor.
Gonna disagree with you there.

Sonic is fighting badnicks in the trailer. Eggman is involved somehow.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
"Thanks. I cut Lucario because he's no more significant than the second or third gen pokemon. We got our Jhoto pokemon in Melee, and it got cut by the next installment. It's not hard to assume Lucario will suffer the same fate.

Cutting Ike was painful, but I refuse to have three sword-wielders to represent Fire Emblem. It misrepresents the series, imo. I added Micaiah since she was the other main character of Radiant Dawn and is a spellcaster."
Yes, replacing Ike was painful. :( Anyways, Nintendo still uses Lucario like for Promotion for the Pokemon Rumble U, replaced Zoroark as the mascot of Pokemon Smash, etc. Also Pichu had much more of a reason to go than Lucario does.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yes, replacing Ike was painful. :( Anyways, Nintendo still uses Lucario like for Promotion for the Pokemon Rumble U, replaced Zoroark as the mascot of Pokemon Smash, etc. Also Pichu had much more of a reason to go than Lucario does.
Pichu was also a clone and a (deliberately) bad character, so that was also going against him.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

Spells and tactics. Can't fill in the gaps of representation better than that. ;)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
That's true, but I highly doubt that it's enough to give him more priority than Mewtwo. I only have 4 reps, which is all we really need. I don't think there's anything missing in terms of representation.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Why do you think there can only be 4 reps? Melee had 5 Mario characters, so I don't see the problem with going over 4 characters per franchise.
I never said there could only be for reps. In fact, I took Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon down to 4 fairly recently. What I did say, however, is that I don't think a fifth rep is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom