• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I find your logic regarding Bomberman and Pac-Man to be faulty. Bomberman is pretty much just as bad as Pac-Man in regards to the quality of his games - every worthwhile Bomberman game is simply an extension of the original Bomberman 'bombs-and-blocks in a grid' formula, just as every worthwhile Pac-Man game is just an extension of the dots-in-a-maze formula. If you don't want Pac-Man, that's fine, but arguing that Bomberman is somehow more deserving seems like a dead-end argument to me - Pac-Man is both more popular among Smash fans (check the polls), more popular worldwide and although the quality of their games is subjective, every widely considered 'good' game from both characters is simply an update on the original Pac-Man/Bomberman concepts.

tl;dr Pac-Man is twice as deserving to be in as Bomberman, even if Pac-Man is considered a bad idea (whether or not he is, is another debate altogether).
You said they are both equal in game quality, but Bomberman has more titles on more consoles and is just as popular as both classic AND modern where as Pac-Man is more popular just as classic. So Bomberman is more popular because he appeals to both classic and Modern gamers while having more hit games than Pac-Man who mostly is just popular for being an unforgettable arcade title.

Not only that, but Bomberman works better as a Smash Fighter anyway. Better moves and he fits the game better. Pac-Man just doesn't seem like the kind of character that would get into smash. Most people care more about the game Pac-Man than they do about the actual character Pac-Man.

I wouldn't use Smash Polls to say which character is more deserving either, because then you're saying Sora & Prof. Layton are more deserving.

Ask anybody, ANYBODY, in the world who isn't a video gamer to tell you what video game characters they know about.. chances are Pacman will be on the list, along with Mario and Sonic. Bomberman never will. Not in the past, not in the present, not in the future. It is YOU who is overstating Bomberman's legacy.[/quote]

Again do research before your statements. You clearly don't research the recognition or popularity of EarthBound, Fire Emblem, and clearly not Bomberman.

Also where is your proof regarding that statement. Am I just suppose to take your word for it, because if asked people what characters they recognize they'd sure as hell recognize Bomberman. You're simply lying to discredit Bomberman because you have nothing to discredit him with.

Also Sakurai isn't marketing this game to NON GAMERS. He's not just going to add characters that the non gamers recognize or we'd have a roster of 5 characters.

I mean, in terms of legacy,
Dude, your legacy probably won't be very important to Sakurai if your whole legacy revolves around ONE game. Sakurai adds characters with bigger legacies that have more variety like Sonic The Hedgehog

Bomberman, Snake, and Sonic work as Classic AND Modern legacies. The game "Pac-Man" continues to get re-releases, but Pac-Man himself is washed up.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Yes, I'm in so much denial that Pac-man will get in, despite people being pessimistic towards the idea and third party characters are an extremely picky process. It doesn't mean jack if Nacmo is involved with Super Smash Bros., it doesn't matter if Pac-man is riding on the arcade game of the same name as his only note worthy appearance, and it doesn't matter if a vocal minority want a washed up character who doesn't offer anything special. If the only reason why Pac-man is even being bright is because of Namco, that is depressing.
Bomberman is a washed-up character with a ****ty legacy with NOTHING to offer to the gameplay of Smash, not with a moveset, or his music, or his stages, or anything else. Pacman DOES. Besides that, Pacman's fanbase is much bigger than you think. Or, is it because of your anti-Pacman views that whenever some evidence shows up in favor of Pacman, you ignore it, but when there is bad evidence (even if there isn't), you jump on it.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman is a washed-up character with a ****ty legacy with NOTHING to offer to the gameplay of Smash, not with a moveset, or his music, or his stages, or anything else. Pacman DOES. Besides that, Pacman's fanbase is much bigger than you think. Or, is it because of your anti-Pacman views that whenever some evidence shows up in favor of Pacman, you ignore it, but when there is bad evidence (even if there isn't), you jump on it.
Bomberman has more to offer than Goldeen...

Khoru

Smash Champion
Bomberman is a washed-up character with a ****ty legacy with NOTHING to offer to the gameplay of Smash, not with a moveset, or his music, or his stages, or anything else. Pacman DOES.
got a little bias here, "earthbound is unnecessary and irrelevant to gaming"?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I honestly stopped giving a **** about what people think of me on this forum since the day I joined. I'll take care of my own shovel, but I'm not the one whose going to be buried.
You remind me of when I used to be an ***hole my first week on this site. :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
You said they are both equal in game quality, but Bomberman has more titles on more consoles and is just as popular as both classic AND modern where as Pac-Man is more popular just as classic. So Bomberman is more popular because he appeals to both classic and Modern gamers while having more hit games than Pac-Man who mostly is just popular for being an unforgettable arcade title.
Sources on Bomberman appealing "to both classic and modern gamers"? Again, both Bomberman and Pac-Man have a timeless gameplay foundation - classic and modern be damned. Pac-Man has had his fair share of hits too, and if you're looking for a Pac title that "appeals to both classic and modern", which isn't quantifiable anyway, I'd ask you to look at Pac-Man Championship Edition and Championship Edition DX, which were widely considered to be not just good but great games by nearly every reviewer who touched them, and weren't afraid to take the classic Pac-Man formula into the modern day. Also, quantity of games doesn't really say much for a characters inclusion.

Not only that, but Bomberman works better as a Smash Fighter anyway. Better moves and he fits the game better. Pac-Man just doesn't seem like the kind of character that would get into smash. Most people care more about the game Pac-Man than they do about the actual character Pac-Man.
And that is what we call an opinion. Works better as a fighter? Last I recall, people argue that Pac-Man would only have biting moves (which is incorrect). I could turn that shoddy logic around and suggest Bomberman would only have bombs - hardly a creative moveset or an interesting Smash fighter.

Again, I'm not saying Pac-Man is likely - but you've done nothing so far aside from dressing up your own opinions as reasons why Bomberman would be more likely and/or a better choice.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've NEVER EVER EVEEEERRR SAID Namco is getting special treatment. I SAID that Pacman would have a better chance because of his legacy and what he means to the franchise. Namco being there helps, no doubt, but still, if Pacman got in, its because he deserves it. Same logic with Megaman being in the game - yes, Namco is there, but Megaman has his worth, and so does Pacman.
Doesn't matter if there is a legacy going on, this isn't M.U.G.E.N., this is Super Smash Bros. By heart it's a Nintendo crossover, and any character that breaks that mold must be a special occasion. For example, both Mega Man and Sonic weren't included because of legacies, they were included because of the raw amount of popularity (understatement) surpassing everyone else. In other words, people REALLY wanted those characters. I mean, it should be rather obvious that despite Namco Bandai being involved with Super Smash Bros., we got MEGA MAN first and foremost, there are pessimistic attitudes towards Namco characters, and Namco characters are not going to be treated as anything special.

So, in other words, Pac-man is simply not going to show up because of some legacy, that means jack if people don't really care or want him. A third party character needs to be something more special then simply harboring on some sort of short lived legacy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, by the way, welcome to...here, haha. Must've forgotten to mention it.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Nothing to do with the discussion.

In other words, people REALLY wanted those characters. I mean, it should be rather obvious that despite Namco Bandai being involved with Super Smash Bros., we got MEGA MAN first and foremost, there are pessimistic attitudes towards Namco characters, and Namco characters are not going to be treated as anything special.
AGAIN, I've NEVER SAID Namco was getting SPECIAL TREATMENT. I SAID it would HELP, but ULTIMATELY it is NOT THE SOLE REASON!!!!! Pacman DESERVES his placement because of the same reasons as Megaman. THAT'S ALL I SAID!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter if there is a legacy going on, this isn't M.U.G.E.N., this is Super Smash Bros. By heart it's a Nintendo crossover, and any character that breaks that mold must be a special occasion. For example, both Mega Man and Sonic weren't included because of legacies, they were included because of the raw amount of popularity (understatement) surpassing everyone else. In other words, people REALLY wanted those characters. I mean, it should be rather obvious that despite Namco Bandai being involved with Super Smash Bros., we got MEGA MAN first and foremost, there are pessimistic attitudes towards Namco characters, and Namco characters are not going to be treated as anything special.

So, in other words, Pac-man is simply not going to show up because of some legacy, that means jack if people don't really care or want him. A third party character needs to be something more special then simply harboring on some sort of short lived legacy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Yuji Naka say in an interview with the Australian version of Edge magazine that he specifically requested Sonic to be in Melee (just like Snake), and just like Snake he couldn't be included due to time restraints? That's what the internet would suggest anyway, though I can't seem to re-find the interview now - but it's something to keep in perspective (if it is in fact true), for those who state Sonic got in on popularity alone.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
AGAIN, I've NEVER SAID Namco was getting SPECIAL TREATMENT. I SAID it would HELP, but ULTIMATELY it is NOT THE SOLE REASON!!!!! Pacman DESERVES his placement because of the same reasons as Megaman. THAT'S ALL I SAID!
Actually, by saying they're getting a better chance because they're working on the game, it does imply that they are getting special treatment. Namco has as much as a chance as say, Square. But since Namco is more iconic, that will help them. That's all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice going, Swamp. Three posts in and she already has people thinking she's a guy. :laugh: :troll:

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to do with the discussion.
She does hold a point, you clearly hold character bias that has shown repeatively. Your absence of solid evidence to defend your claims also lacks you citing relevancy to your statements all together. Your volition seems to simply be to spate terms in favor of characters without much solid base (keep note that I said "without much" instead of "no") and you bear little grasp of seeing through others ideals and logic behind as to why they support their characters.

As strange as this sounds, I support every character into Smash Bros, including ones that aren't even Japanese (Rayman, Odd and Ulrich [French characters] for Smash!) just so long as they can be solidly held. This is why I'm between MM and Pokey for the yes-no support, just to give you an example.

It indeed has everything to do with the discussion because of your comment bias driving said discussion-therefore relevant. Just calm down and think a little more with the thought in mind that everyone has a chance. Especially amongst fan bias generated games.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
L........O...............L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are digging a whole so deep it's going through the earth's surface. You claim Bomberman's legacy is ****ty where as Pac-Man's ENTIRE legacy is based off one Arcade game from the 80's. Then you claim he has no moves.

• Ability to Throw, kick, grow, and spawn Bombs as well as different types of Bombs & items from various installments including mines, Ice Bombs, Rubber Bombs, Poison Bomb, Thunder Bomb. (theres a whole list of Bombs, Power Ups, and Items on Bomberman Wiki.)
  • He has other tools such as a Rocket, Helicopter, Jetpack, Sword, a frikin Blaster.
  • Louie, his rabbit that he rides.
  • Boxing Gloves which would be great for Smash Attacks
  • The Guardian Armor makes a great Final Smash
YOU'RE COMPARING THIS TO A GUY WHO EATS TIC-TACS!

Here's some awesome Music from Bomberman Games:

If ANYTHING you are 100% Anti-Bomberman. His fan base is WAY bigger than you think. And since when did the character "Pac-Man" have a fan base. I know his game probably does, but i'm not aware of a very big Pac-Man fan base outside of Super Smash Brothers. Also I'm not ignoring Pac-Man's pros, if anything I acknowledge them. They're just simply not as great in number or great as Bomberman's.

(It's also worth mentioning that the Bomberman series has a bigger variety of characters, Music and content to offer.)

CalumG

Smash Lord

Here it is. It's low quality and it doesn't prove anything one way or the other, but the fact that Sonic was intended to be in Melee according to Naka, just like Snake was, surely implies on some level that Sonic did not get in on popularity polls alone. In fact, although some people mistakenly voted for third-parties on the pre-Melee polls, even Chocobo got a higher amount of votes than Sonic did at the time. So was Sonic put in Brawl purely out of popularity, or was it a combination of popularity, Sega/Nintendo's newfound borderline-sexual partnership, and cutting-room-floor ideas from Melee? Just stirring the pot here of course, but I think it throws into question the concept of popularity being a major factor for third-party inclusions.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Welcome to the threads. But just a slight warning. We've already gotten into the Genesect debate a day or two ago (a little heated). And just as a rule. Never. Bring up Impa. That is just an argument waiting to happen.
She said she's been lurking for the past 100 or so pages. I think she knows. :laugh:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Welcome to the threads. But just a slight warning. We've already gotten into the Genesect debate a day or two ago (a little heated). And just as a rule. Never. Bring up Impa. That is just an argument waiting to happen.
oh, i know.

hence my suggestions!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Whoa. This thread got hostile pretty quickly. Glad it's over with for now.

Here's an interesting hypothetical. Say there is zero criteria that a 3rd-party has to be on a Nintendo console... Who would get in based on what they've pioneered in the gaming industry and how popular they are?

Yes, I'm legitimately asking what you guys would think about Cloud or Master Chief being characters. I support neither. Don't look at me in that tone of voice.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well to be fair, someone shouldn't care what other people think of them. Espically some random person on the internet they don't even know irl. :p
I agree. No one should care what other people think of them. Still, I don't really understand why he's here. He's dismissive and doesn't give a **** about anyone. But I digress.

Anyways, Genesect. Umm, I like him. And he is one of the hotter Pokemon right now. But I still feel someone like Mewtwo should get in before him. Granted, Genesect has a decent chance.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whoa. This thread got hostile pretty quickly. Glad it's over with for now.

Here's an interesting hypothetical. Say there is zero criteria that a 3rd-party has to be on a Nintendo console... Who would get in based on what they've pioneered in the gaming industry and how popular they are?

Yes, I'm legitimately asking what you guys would think about Cloud or Master Chief being characters. I support neither. Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
Not gonna lie.

Both would be interesting characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom