• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I haven't played Chibi-Robo before, but all I know is that recency will not be something to keep him out.

Aside from physical attacks, what abilities does he have that could work in a moveset?
He has a toothbrush, blaster, propeller, mug shield, and various suits.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
With every smart person you meet, an idiot is soon to follow. Nowadays, that phrase shows immensely, as I run into more morons in real life now. Shame.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
you act a lot like this other guy thats new something Divine
Don't even start bring up the name. He'll be summoned onto the thread, and this discussion will go to absolute ****.

Anyways, you guys, until next Friday I wont be on the threads. Ill be watching them MAYBE but I'm not gonna have time to do anything that huge.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
****. My entire response to Lucina vs. Chrom just got deleted because my laptop hates me. Let me try again.

If it comes down to an Awakening rep, i'm telling you right now it isn't going to be the Avatar. Being customizable is the entire reason the character is in the game. To be YOU. If that is taken away from it, then the character doesn't really have a purpose. At least in Awakening.

We're now down to Lucina and Chrom. Chrom is without a doubt the main character. We have NEVER seen a series get a character besides the main character. It would be like Luigi getting in before Mario if you will. It wouldn't make any sense.

Okay. So they put Lucina on the cover of a Soundtrack. That's nice. However, in the gaming industry, what gets more attention? A game soundtrack, or a game advertisment? Chrom is the front and center Fire Emblem character when it comes to Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Not even MARTH, the first Lord and familiar face to fans across the world. Marth is considered a major face of Fire Emblem (or at least in Smash), and not even he is getting into advertisements. But Chrom is.

Compare Chrom to Lucina. As others have said before me, Lucina is an expendable unit. Her major purpose is to deliver a message to move the plot forward, and nothing much else that that. I guess you could say she is similar to Geno's role in SMRPG. Lucina shows up and decides to join Chrom, just as Geno shows up and joins Mario. He comes and has his relevance to the story, but after that, he is optional to have, and while he is important, he is not MOST important. This can be applied to Lucina. She is important, yes. But certainly not MOST important. Chrom on the other hand, is the leader of his Halidom. He is a unit who cannot be killed without having to restart, and he is a character that cannot be switched out. While some may find him "boring" or "has no potential to be unique", those are bull**** arguments. Chrom has just as much potential as everyone else. Not to mention that I don't think you could name me one character who got in based off of their personality or character traits.

Now we're down to Chrom and Roy. Roy's game was released years ago. Honestly at this point, I only see him coming back if Sakurai decides to keep him. Really think about this. If we take away his Smash appearance, what is special about Roy? He is essentially just another lord with nothing to make him stand out besides fire. Not to burst anyones bubble, but we've never seen an out of the blue character from any established series in Smash at this point. No Skull Kid. No LYN even. No Wart. Nothing like that thus far, and I certainly don't see any reason for Sakurai to start with that now.

I see only one of two things happening. It's down to Roy and Chrom. It's either Roy AND Chrom, or Roy OR Chrom. I wish we could see the former, but i'm willing to bet the latter will happen, as unfortunate as that is.

Chrom represents more than just a blue guy with a fancy sword. He is the main character of the most successful installment in a suffering franchise. He defeated the looming power of a god to save his world, and metaphorically, his own series from damnation.

Okay. So Chrom may not have actually done that. The game did. But who would represent the game, and has the popularity to boot? Chrom.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
He has a toothbrush, blaster, propeller, mug shield, and various suits.
So the propeller could be his recovery, and the blaster could be a N-special. I guess the toothbrush could be used for normal moves, unless it actually does something special. Not sure about the rest though.

Reznor

work in progress
Don't even start bring up the name. He'll be summoned onto the thread, and this discussion will go to absolute ****.

Anyways, you guys, until next Friday I wont be on the threads. Ill be watching them MAYBE but I'm not gonna have time to do anything that huge.
you shall be missed (I think :awesome: )

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You have a fair point. However, with the Animal Crossing Villager, you don't directly get to choose their appearance. You can customize clothing, furniture, all kinds of things.

The Avatar in Fire Emblem Awakening is much more in depth in character customization. You can pick the voice, the hair style, the hair color, the types of attacks it does, the character it has a relationship with, etc...

(Yes I know they have Shampoodle and such in Animal Crossing, but basically my point is that the Avatar would be pointless as a hooded character. It completely throws the character itself out the window. The Villager has a moveset that reflects the game as a whole.)

Although I think a feature that allows you to upload your custom villager or avatar would be awesome.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So the propeller could be his recovery, and the blaster could be a N-special. I guess the toothbrush could be used for normal moves, unless it actually does something special. Not sure about the rest though.
The mug can reflect projectiles and the toothbrush is used for cleaning. He could make a part of the floor super slippery and make opponents trip on the spot.

Just some brainstorming.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Considering the original creator has unfortunately passed on since then (insert general Sakamoto ruined everything rant here), it could just as likely be different vision for the character as the situation demands. I'm not gonna pretend I know what their original vision was (though I acknowledge technical limitations being the reason behind a lot of things, such as being little being part of Mac from Punch-Out!!!'s gimmick) but I imagine they scale him up more than down most of the time, to make the boss (es) fights seem (literally) larger than life, and epic.

Ridley's (allegedly canon) first encounter with young Samus in the manga. Considering she grows up to be 6'+ amazon status not even counting the suit, I'd say they were intended to be more 'rival/nemesis size' status (think Ganondorf and Link, Bowser and Mario (in Smash), etc.) than the "towering evil giant vs going-against-the-odds-hero" (I think Mother Brain/the Metroid Queen fit that role better than Ridley, personally)

I also really doubt anyone would argue technical limitations when it comes to this (rather infamous) size comparison.

All in all I don't think what has been the case in the past should matter as much as what could be (potentially awesome).
I was never aware of that piece of information, that's sad to hear.
But yes I agree, with the rival status the two have. After all, Samus is the only being that has successfully defeated Ridley. I would of course imagine holding personal grudge over Samus because of that.
You know. We got a lot of new people here.

I'm curious...

What do you new people think about my roster?
View attachment 1833

K.Rool can be switched for Dixie.
Jr. can be switched for Toad.
Roy can be switched for Chrom.
I'd say this is the best case scenario for the roster (imo).
I'd probably switch out Mii or reorganize the way it's presented.

The roster is fine for the most part.
My largest gripe with it is how you're putting in Lucina over Ike. I've got high doubts that he would intentionally be replaced in the first place, but for Lucina? Sure she can be made different from Marth, but here entire design has Marth in mind. Chrom, appearing in every single cutscene but one in the game, is pretty much the game's posterboy. He's also probably the most requested new lord from Fire Emblem. If you are going to replace Ike, it would probably be in favor for Chrom in the end.

But I don't think Ike would be getting the boot unless it was for time constraints.

---

Also, have you guys heard?
Reggie is open to being in Smash Brothers.
This might not mean much in the long run, but at least he was willing to comment.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The mug can reflect projectiles and the toothbrush is used for cleaning. He could make a part of the floor super slippery and make opponents trip on the spot.

Just some brainstorming.
I like both these ideas.

Would the Toothbrush give the effect of an icy floor in adition to tripping? Or is that a bit much?

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Alright I got a new topic

Who do you want more as a playable character: Palutena, Medusa, or Magnus?

Yeeeaaah, take a wild guess on who I want.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright I got a new topic

Who do you want more as a playable character: Palutena, Medusa, or Magnus?

I used to want Medusa, because she's a badass villain. And we don't have female villains yet.

But I admit Palutena has grown on me. (And I've always been a sucker for green-haired ladies in videogames).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ike pretty much makes up for Magnus. I would like to see Medusa as a Dark clone of Palutena, but Palutena is cooler and prettier.

They'd probably even have the same Final Smash, Overworld Army/Underworld Army. After all she is the Dark alter of Palutena.

To note though, I think every character should have their own Final Smash, even if they are a semi-clone. But, that might not work.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ike pretty much makes up for Magnus. I would like to see Medusa as a Dark clone of Palutena, but Palutena is cooler and prettier.

They'd probably even have the same Final Smash, Overworld Army/Underworld Army. After all she is the Dark alter of Palutena.

To note though, I think every character should have their own Final Smash, even if they are a semi-clone. But, that might not work.
What would happen to Pit's Final Smash then? Or would Palutena's be different from his?

Side note: Falco needs an Arwing, nuff said.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Palutena, a beautiful goddess with kick *** magic powers. And that awesome scepter and outfit.

Is THIS the beauty you want?
Zombie.png

:joyful:

What would happen to Pit's Final Smash then? Or would Palutena's be different from his?

Palutena could take Pit's Final Smash and Pit's new one could be the Three Sacred Treasures or the Great Sacred Treasure (You'd have to play Kid Icarus: Uprising to know)

D

Deleted member

@Opossum:
"When has someone other than the main character been chosen over the main character?"
It's actually happened before:
-Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Pichu were all included before we got any Pokémon Trainer.
-On technicality, Professor Hector is the main character of Gyromite and Stack-Up. R.O.B. was a peripheral for those games.
-Your Mii is the main character of Wii Fit. Wii Fit Trainer is just the Mii's personal trainer, and not only that, is one of two options for their trainer (the other being a male).

As for Lucina, she's one of three main protagonists not unlike FE7 having Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn. While yes, the game can continue if she's taken out, bear in mind that she will not die (she retreats in Classic Mode), and instead continues to be a major part of the story.
The reason why the game can continue with her defeat and not Chrom's or The Avatar's is very simple. Chrom is the leader of the army; taking him out is essentially a "checkmate". The Avatar is the battle strategist and, in meta example, is the one "playing" the game (for obvious reasons); without them, there is no one controlling the fight.

Lucina instead of Chrom is just as reasonable as Lyn instead of Eliwood, despite both Chrom and Eliwood being the "main" protagonists of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom