• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think the hate for Eevee is getting your head. By the way, what playable Pokemon from Smash has ever been important to the plot?
All of them except Pokemon Trainer. And it's not that we hate Eevee, she deserves to represent Pokemon in smash someway, but dude..............Genesect & Mewtwo.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I think the hate for Eevee is getting your head. By the way, what playable Pokemon from Smash has ever been important to the plot?
Mewtwo... Maybe. Well all of the pokemon that were playable from smash were important to the anime plot, and in that respect I really don't think Eevee compares to the likes of Lucario at his height or Jiggs at her height :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Pokémon Trainer Red.
Pikachu's only important in Yellow, which Eevee could be considered equally important in as it is your rival's main pokemon, Mewtwo's story has nothing to do with the main story of the original games, and Red himself is not the playable character, you play as the three original starters.

Mewtwo... Maybe. Well all of the pokemon that were playable from smash were important to the anime plot, and in that respect I really don't think Eevee compares to the likes of Lucario at his height or Jiggs at her height :p
Eevee is easily more popular/important than that of Lucario/Jigglypuff overall, it only depends if Sakurai cares more about importance to the franchise than importance to Smash Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu's only important in Yellow, which Eevee could be considered equally important in as it is your rival's main pokemon, Mewtwo's story has nothing to do with the main story of the original games, and Red himself is not the playable character, you play as the three original starters.
Without Red, the original starters wouldn't be in Smash... because let's be honest... why would one starter get in Smash over the other two if they are all equally important? Why would we get a standalone Fire starter without a Grass starter nor a Water starter? This is why Pokémon Trainer Red was a creative way to get all three starters in Smash as equals.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd remove JigglyPuff if she wasn't a fairy Pokemon, then again she's a smash classic, but that doesn't override the others. Then again it overrides Mewtwo in Brawl.

Without Red, the original starters wouldn't be in Smash... because let's be honest... why would one starter get in Smash over the other two if they are all equally important? Why would we get a standalone Fire starter without a Grass starter nor a Water starter? This is why Pokémon Trainer Red was a creative way to get all three starters in Smash as equals.
That's what makes Pokemon Trainer such an INCREDIBLE idea for a character. 3 Pokemon in one. Not only that, but ones that wouldn't be playable by any other means. This is why removing Pokemon Trainer is a ******** thing move.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
While this sounds incredibly biased...it's probably because we couldn't have Charizard any other way so Sakurai chose this character. :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You don't think the Pokemon Company wouldn't be happy with having all gens repped? o.o
Like he said, I think that's the least important thing to them. I think the most important thing for the Pokemon company (besides Mewtwo) is Genesect.

While this sounds incredibly biased...it's probably because we couldn't have Charizard any other way so Sakurai chose this character. :p
When are you gonna drop that dumb "Pokemon Trainer was only in because of Charizard" theory?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I think that theory holds some weight. But less in a sense of "He got in so we could have Charizard." And more in a sense of, "He got in so we could have the generation 1 starters."

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have to disagree, we probably could have had just charizard if Sakurai wanted to do that. He is the most popular Pokemon in the world, so they would have probably been fine with just Charizard by himself. lol

Reznor

work in progress
All of them except Pokemon Trainer. And it's not that we hate Eevee, she deserves to represent Pokemon in smash someway, but dude..............Genesect & Mewtwo.
I think having 2 legendary pokemon is a bad idea

I have to disagree, we probably could have had just charizard if Sakurai wanted to do that. He is the most popular Pokemon in the world, so they would have probably been fine with just Charizard by himself. lol
I keep hearing he is the most popular pokemon in the world but how do we know this was there voting or something
he might have been the most popular but now days I think its Pikachu or Lucario

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I have to disagree. It's the case of starters, you can't have one without the others as it's unfair to the others. It's not as if people back then were like "Oh, I always wanted to play as Squirtle and Ivysaur!" No, it was "I wanna play as a Charizard!" Of course, that's probably not the case, but as of NOW, that's what it feels like with the Pokemon Trainer possibly returning.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Eevee is easily more popular/important than that of Lucario/Jigglypuff overall, it only depends if Sakurai cares more about importance to the franchise than importance to Smash Bros.
Call me biased all you want but I'm still not hooked on this importance to the franchise stuff in my eyes Eevee is constantly on the level of... Sort of important. To me I see a pokmeon that has been given somewhat special treatment in the games and occasionally having a presence in the anime. Again, Eevee hasn't been given a second thought by Sakurai riding off of more or less the same importance. Eevee's treatment in X/Y due to Sylveon. Eevee's OVERALL importance may be more then Jiggs or Lucario but Eevee's consistent stream of importance is in my eyes quite a bit below Lucario's height of importance and slightly beaten out by Jigglypuff's height of importance/popularity and whatever. But right now Eevee's sylveon boost doesn't even beat genesect as far as anime roles go and is only used as an introduction to that said new type which in my eyes the pokemon team are sort of underplaying.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I keep hearing he is the most popular pokemon in the world but how do we know this was there voting or something
he might have been the most popular but now days I think its Pikachu or Lucario
In fact there was, http://www.ign.com/top/pokemon/1. IGN did a huge vote on it. And most other places you go that do a best X number of Pokemon charizard is almost always number one. Pika and Lucario are popular, but not Charizard popular. Charizard is literally the most popular Pokemon in the world, even to this day.

Reznor

work in progress
I think having LESS than 2 legendary pokemon is a bad idea :troll:

Why on earth do you hate all legendary pokemon?
because almost all of them look awful

In fact there was, http://www.ign.com/top/pokemon/1. IGN did a huge vote on it. And most other places you go that do a best X number of Pokemon charizard is almost always number one. Pika and Lucario are popular, but not Charizard popular. Charizard is literally the most popular Pokemon in the world, even to this day.
2 things first one IGN is never a good source for this kind of thing (they think the Joker is the best villain case and point) whos to say they didn't change the votes (its IGN come on)
but the other website voting is a good point however I do not think this is the best method of deciding the most popular pokemon mostly because a lot of little kids probably did not vote on any of these polls and like it or not there are more Pokemon fans that are kids than adults

Charzard is the most popular pokemon with adults but what about kids

Because GoldenYuiitsuin's profile pic is Entei? :awesome:
because Entei looks awesome :love:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
(they think the Joker is the best villain case and point)
Are you saying he's not? Because he is.

He's popular with adults because they were kids when Charizard was the ****. But, Sakurai doesn't market the game to kids, limiting characters to the ones they recognize. That means he's not gonna remove Sheik because of this. Also I agree with you, IGN users are not equal to the amount of every Pokemon Fan in the universe.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Because GoldenYuiitsuin's profile pic is Entei? :awesome:

Why not? Also how is it unfair if you just said nobody really wanted Squirtle or Ivysaur?
Because starter pokemon are that special occasion where they're always announced together, they're always portrayed/advertised together, they're always seen as pokemon that are equal on every aspect so that nobody assumes those at Gamefreak are picking favorites. It's one of the main reasons why in the anime Ash always has one of each starter. Also, that was a figure of speech, I'm sure there were SOME that wanted to play as a Squirtle or an Ivysaur, but it was easily overshadowed by those wanting Charizard, which isn't surprising as it is the most popular pokemon in the world.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
2 things first one IGN is never a good source for this kind of thing (they think the Joker is the best villain case and point) whos to say they didn't change the votes (its IGN come on)
but the other website voting is a good point however I do not think this is the best method of deciding the most popular pokemon mostly because a lot of little kids probably did not vote on any of these polls and like it or not there are more Pokemon fans that are kids than adults

To be fair Charizard would probably be JUST as popular with the kids if he was promoted consistently like 90% of the people who love charizard remember it fondly from when they first played pokemon. But seriously this age would think charizard is awesome too it's the same idiotic coolness that keeps coming up ERMAGERD IT'S FIRE POWAH THEREFORE IT'S COOL! Jesus I'm surprised there aren't that many arsonists around. Fire it self is overrated :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
To be fair Charizard would probably be JUST as popular with the kids if he was promoted consistently like 90% of the people who love charizard remember it fondly from when they first played pokemon. But seriously this age would think charizard is awesome too it's the same idiotic coolness that keeps coming up ERMAGERD IT'S FIRE POWAH THEREFORE IT'S COOL! Jesus I'm surprised there aren't that many arsonists around. Fire it self is overrated :p
I personally don't understand why Charizard is considered that great anymore. It was great back in the day, but to me it feels like it's lost some serious luster. Sure, it's a dragon, but so are pokemon like Garchomp, Hydreigon, Haxorus and Salamence, and Charizard's not even that good of a pokemon in the first place anymore. Sure, when the special stat was combined, Charizard was a great pokemon, but now...he's just overrated. Ever since Generation 4, Charizard's worthiness seemed to die with the huge buff in Rock types.

Reznor

work in progress
Are you saying he's not? Because he is.
Joker is a horrible villain one of the worst to be honest

He's popular with adults because they were kids when Charizard was the ****. But, Sakurai doesn't market the game to kids, limiting characters to the ones they recognize. That means he's not gonna remove Sheik because of this. Also I agree with you, IGN users are not equal to the amount of every Pokemon Fan in the universe.
well duh to the first part not sure about the Sakurai marketing to mostly adults though

my point is he isn't promoted that much to kids these days so thats why its possible hes no the most popular pokemon ever and ya sadly Charzard would probably still be popular this day and age with kids

mimgrim

Smash Hero

The problem is that there isn't really any evidence to support your statement, while there is evidence to support Charizard being the most popular Pokemon in the worl, all you have to do is do a little search on it. In polls Charizard has consitintly gotten first place many times, and at the very least top 10 (which doesn't happen nearly oftern as first place). Tryingn to say otherwise when the results say one thing just isn't right.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I personally don't understand why Charizard is considered that great anymore. It was great back in the day, but to me it feels like it's lost some serious luster. Sure, it's a dragon, but so are pokemon like Garchomp, Hydreigon, Haxorus and Salamence, and Charizard's not even that good of a pokemon in the first place anymore. Sure, when the special stat was combined, Charizard was a great pokemon, but now...he's just overrated. Ever since Generation 4, Charizard's worthiness seemed to die with the huge buff in Rock types.
BUT IT'S A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON... Oh wait every other dragon does that. OK I got nothing. To me, fire types generally don't feel creative to me, often times their design can basically be summed up with -insert random animal covered in flames- And thus some of the most creative designs the type has produced are easily some of the least popular ones, like Camerupt for example.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It's not really too much for Kid Icarus, StarFox got 3.
Star Fox is arguably one of Nintendo's most beloved franchises and one of it's more larger ones in comparison to others. Not to mention the only reason why we got a second one in Melee was to buff up the roster and because Falco fit the same body type as Fox.
You're also adding in two extra character for Kid Icarus, which isn't a franchise that can be comparable to the likes of Super Mario Brothers, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and Fire Emblem. Franchises that did earn 2-3 characters in one game, because they are just much larger and popular franchises in comparison to others.

I'm not suggesting that the franchise isn't capable of getting another character other than Palutena in the future, but it certainly won't get more than her and Pit for this game because the franchise still isn't big enough to have more characters than just those two.
And Sonic is likely to return, I'm just skeptical of third-parties being veterans.
But what is the point of adding in the most requested character for Smash Brothers of all time if you're just going to remove him in the next game? That'll lead fans to demand Sonic to return. Sonic still fits the criteria for being a third party character in Smash Brothers, so why bother removing him if Sega has chosen to give Sonic to Nintendo for his next three titles?

And most fans would not be pleased with all veteran Pokemon.
What makes you say that? Is there some sort of poll or something, because I'm pretty sure this is something you would be disappointed to be seeing and you're just putting words into the mouths of other people.
From what I've seen, the majority of fans want to see Mewtwo comeback without the expense of another character.
That is commonly referred to as the best case scenario.

Genesect is already getting this stuff.
Genesect is not a mascot though.
Lucario is more of a mascot than Genesect is, especially because the only reason why Genesect is so advertisement friendly now is because of it's movie and the fact that it's basically the Arceus of Gen 5.
When we find out what the new last Pokemon in the Pokedex is Genesect will just be replaced by that thing, you're giving it a lot more credit than it actually deserves.
Why not? Also how is it unfair if you just said nobody really wanted Squirtle or Ivysaur?
Because if Sakurai created the Pokemon Trainer for the purpose of just having Charizard there would have been no point to have added in Squirtle, Ivysaur, and even the Pokemon Trainer himself in the first place.
It would just been Charizard.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That moment when you realize that Charizard isn't even a Dragon.... type.... :troll:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
my point is he isn't promoted that much to kids these days so thats why its possible hes no the most popular pokemon ever and ya sadly Charzard would probably still be popular this day and age with kids
Actually if I'm not mistake Charizard is still being shown in the anime, which is probably watched mostly by little kids now due to most Pokemon fans being sick at how downhill the anime has gone.

Reznor

work in progress
Actually if I'm not mistake Charizard is still being shown in the anime, which is probably watched mostly by little kids now due to most Pokemon fans being sick at how downhill the anime has gone.
good point ok now I can see charzard as the most popular pokemon

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
BUT IT'S A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON... Oh wait every other dragon does that. OK I got nothing. To me, fire types generally don't feel creative to me, often times their design can basically be summed up with -insert random animal covered in flames- And thus some of the most creative designs the type has produced are easily some of the least popular ones, like Camerupt for example.
Might I also mention that Charizard's design is really freaking boring? It's a big orange dragon...that's not even a dragon...that has wings...that couldn't fly for three generations...:p It's not like Hydreigon, who's based on the freaking Yamato No Orochi, it's just...boring...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom