• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'd like to start a new topic:

If we have Pikachu, JigglyPuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo this means all of our Pokemon are veterans. (even though Mewtwo has his new form he is still Mewtwo.) I don't see that very likely at all. How should we fix this? There needs to be at least one Pokemon that hasn't been in Smash in some way or form
Kyurem for Pokemon Boss.

Speaking of Rosters...

Total Roster: 49
Newcomers: 15
Cut: Possibly One (Whichever you like more, put in the spot of Pokemon. Jiggs of Lucario, up to you)
Newcomer List: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Bowser Jr., Impa, Ridley, Takamaru, Little Mac, Galacta Knight, Shulk, Palutena, King K.Rool, Eevee, Mewtwo, Chrom

Locked Characters: Luigi, Ganondorf, Impa, Toon Link, Ridley, Galacta Knight, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Palutena, R.O.B., King K.Rool, Jigglypuff/Lucario, Eevee, Mewtwo, Marth, Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man.

DLC Choices: Roy, Pichu, Dark Samus, T.Zelda/Tetra

Meh, I was bored.
Galacta Knight should be replaced by somebody more worthy of tht spot.
Looking at your roster, I suggest Isaac.
Also even though it's DLC I don't know about having Pichu return, I'd rather see Lucario or Jigglypuff be deemed the last DLC slot in your roster.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Put in skull kid and give him an ability to change other players into different characters mid fight and you've got the most original fighting style ever. Plus it's a great way to force players to use all the hellish characters were requesting.

Skull kid for ssb4!

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Also, on another note, why is Genesect held in such regard, exactly? Being an event-legendary to have starred in a movie isn't exactly unique, considering plenty of Pokemon have done that generations before, Deoxys and Darkrai being more similar to Genesect in being the immensely popular-for-a-while humanoid legendaries of their generations. I honestly don't see why Genesect is considered as a playable character for Smash Bros. when it will, without a hint of doubt, no longer be popular when Generation 6 is in the middle of its run. At that point, the only thing it'd have over Deoxys and Darkrai is recency, and we all know how shallow a reason that is to include a Pokemon character.
As a proponent of Genesect I'll try to balance my observations:
+Great design (imho)
+Actually created with villainous intent (as opposed to Mewtwo who was just a sour ****)
+Different from other humanoid Pokemon due to its cannon and its multiple attack types
+Uber tier (which might grant him longevity within the competitive Pokemon community)

-Still a flavor of the month humanoid pokemon
-No real exploration into its origin within the game.
-Mewtwo is more iconic, popular, and now a Gen 6 rep

Most of my support for Genesect comes from the fact that I think he could become one of the most interesting fighters in the game (and hopefully that's what people will look for in character selection). I think Deoxys and Darkrai were overlooked because they'd just act like psychic-y fighters reminiscent of Mewtwo, that is, attacking through mental might or supernatural force. Genesect is different in this regard, he has claws with which to physically hurt his foes, and his staple canon which just opens up a world of possibilities. Like Mega Man he could base his moveset on a melange of attack types all revolving around his Techno Blast: Fire balls, ice beams, lighting jolts, cyber waves, etc...

Would I be ecstatic if he makes it into the game? You betcha, but only if they take advantage of his potential.

CalumG

Smash Lord
+Great design (imho)
+Actually created with villainous intent (as opposed to Mewtwo who was just a sour ****)
+Different from other humanoid Pokemon due to its cannon and its multiple attack types
+Uber tier (which might grant him longevity within the competitive Pokemon community)

Most of my support for Genesect comes from the fact that I think he could become one of the most interesting fighters in the game (and hopefully that's what people will look for in character selection). I think Deoxys and Darkrai were overlooked because they'd just act like psychic-y fighters reminiscent of Mewtwo, that is, attacking through mental might or supernatural force. Genesect is different in this regard, he has claws with which to physically hurt his foes, and his staple canon which just opens up a world of possibilities. Like Mega Man he could base his moveset on a melange of attack types all revolving around his Techno Blast: Fire balls, ice beams, lighting jolts, cyber waves, etc...

Would I be ecstatic if he makes it into the game? You betcha, but only if they take advantage of his potential.
Wow... Smashboards censors the word 'puss'? They really need to update the archaic censors on this site. Puss is not a swear word or otherwise offensive word, and for some of us fag means this:

Sort it out, Smashboards. xD

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
+Great design (imho)

Do be aware, however, that Deoxys and Darkrai both have access to Ice Beam and Thunderbolt themselves, as well as a wide variety of other moves in the movepool, being the Uber-tied Pokemon that they are. Deoxys' Attack forme has extremely high attack, which would indicate that being whipped or stabbed by its tentacle arms would be quite powerful and not at all limited to psychic-power. Not only that, but between Deoxys' use of multiple formes with extremely different strengths and weaknesses, as well as Darkrai's own neutral-evil sleep-inducing powers, Genesect does not have a talent that makes him stand out miles from the other two. Given, terminator roach does have a more unique fighting style than the shared mind powers of Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Darkrai, but having a unique fighting-style itself in Pokemon isn't enough warrant to be in Smash Bros., because there are countless types of movesets that could be made with Pokemon (to the point where I can confidently say that SSB4's entire roster could be replaced with Pokemon and still have extremely similar movesets). When it comes to Pokemon, popularity and longevity are the key factors in who is included.

That said, your dream of Genesect being in Smash Bros. is very much like my own of seeing Deoxys be in Smash Bros. Alas, each are equally unlikely considering they're only passing phases of legendaries, merely in a queue for seeing who the next big-shot is after them. Once Generation 6 and its event-legendaries are revealed, Genesect will be out of the limelight, with Deoxys and Darkrai there to give it a pat on the back.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Do be aware, however, that Deoxys and Darkrai both have access to Ice Beam and Thunderbolt themselves, as well as a wide variety of other moves in the movepool, being the Uber-tied Pokemon that they are. Deoxys' Attack forme has extremely high attack, which would indicate that being whipped or stabbed by its tentacle arms would be quite powerful and not at all limited to psychic-power. Not only that, but between Deoxys' use of multiple formes with extremely different strengths and weaknesses, as well as Darkrai's own neutral-evil sleep-inducing powers, Genesect does not have a talent that makes him stand out miles from the other two. Given, terminator roach does have a more unique fighting style than the shared mind powers of Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Darkrai, but having a unique fighting-style itself in Pokemon isn't enough warrant to be in Smash Bros., because there are countless types of movesets that could be made with Pokemon (to the point where I can confidently say that SSB4's entire roster could be replaced with Pokemon and still have extremely similar movesets). When it comes to Pokemon, popularity and longevity are the key factors in who is included.

That said, your dream of Genesect being in Smash Bros. is very much like my own of seeing Deoxys be in Smash Bros. Alas, each are equally unlikely considering they're only passing phases of legendaries, merely in a queue for seeing who the next big-shot is after them. Once Generation 6 and its event-legendaries are revealed, Genesect will be out of the limelight, with Deoxys and Darkrai there to give it a pat on the back.
True, true.
I'm not one to fool myself into believing that the robo bug is a shoe in, his chances are decent at most.
However out of all the flavors of the month characters, he's my favorite (tastes like chicken, surprisingly) so there's that.

Also, WFT has invigorated in me a want for unorthodox characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer Red, Meowth, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff as playable Pokémon in Smash? My dream come true!!! I wish this was the case... especially for Meowth. :awesome:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Nothing really makes Lyn, or any other lord besides Chrom and Roy stand out. Chrom because he is the latest protagonist, and Roy because of his appearance in Smash already. (Not saying Chrom is only going to get in because of recentness, but it would definitely get him noticed.)
Lucina has IS putting her on everything now that the game is out, like the Knights of Iris and the CD cover, which is kind of odd, you'd think they'd put Chrom or Chrom and Lucina, not just Lucina.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lucina has IS putting her on everything now that the game is out, like the Knights of Iris and the CD cover, which is kind of odd, you'd think they'd put Chrom or Chrom and Lucina, not just Lucina.
Lucina is totally going to replace Marth in SSB4.... all Sakurai has to do is keep Marth's model and rename him "Lucina". :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Male Lucina > Girl Marth.

Also waiting for that jaytalks guy to come in and say "NO MALE LUCINA AND GIRL MARTH ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS SHUT UP YOUR STUPID"

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nope genesect is going to stay as the most likly I looked at all Japanese pokemon movie release all pokemon movies get release in July every 1 year but USA random and sakurai lives in Japan so no new movie till July in Japan so there's no way any other 6 gen pokemon unless ssb4 gets release after July 2014 or a trailer gets reveil and he might add genesect before then anyway

Gune

Smash Lord
I really dont see genesect being all that likely though this movie may have been a boost to its chances but we have to remeber, this movie is Mewtwo's hes the star and the focus is his form not genesect and not to mention by this christmas gen 6 will be out makeing the only reason for his inclusion is because he co stared in that movie. that's the main reason I think mewtwo is getting in while we keep our current reps.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Honestly if the roster for Pokemon ends up being Pike, Jiggs, PT, Lucario, and Newtwo I will be very dissapointed as that would be a very lacklust roster, espically since each Smash game had 2 new Pokemon (new for Smash) in it (64 had Jigs and Pika starting it out, Melee then added Pichu and Mewtwo, and Brawl took out Pichu and Mewtwo and put put in PT and Lucario) and so I am expecting Smash 4 to be the same. Mewtwo can count as a newcomer if it gets in as it's awakened form, meaning we just need another one.

Along with Newtwo the other likely newcomers seem to be;

Zoroak
2nd PT
Eevee

:/

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honestly if the roster for Pokemon ends up being Pike, Jiggs, PT, Lucario, and Newtwo I will be very dissapointed as that would be a very lacklust roster, espically since each Smash game had 2 new Pokemon (new for Smash) in it (64 had Jigs and Pika starting it out, Melee then added Pichu and Mewtwo, and Brawl took out Pichu and Mewtwo and put put in PT and Lucario) and so I am expecting Smash 4 to be the same. Mewtwo can count as a newcomer if it gets in as it's awakened form, meaning we just need another one.

Along with Newtwo the other likely newcomers seem to be;

Zoroak
2nd PT
Eevee

:/
And Genesect. He's likely as well. More likely than a second Pokemon Trainer and Eevee.

So, we got a picture of Wii Fit Trainer using her grab. She's literally lifting Donkey Kong all the way up. Wow.
daily.jpg

mimgrim

Smash Hero
And Genesect. He's likely as well. More likely than a second Pokemon Trainer and Eevee.

So, we got a picture of Wii Fit Trainer using her grab. She's literally lifting Donkey Kong all the way up. Wow.
View attachment 1773
Eh I have my doubts about Genesect, as the move he was in Metwo was more important so imo Mewtwon gobbles up Genesect's chances.

As for that pic, I actually wonder if it is a grab or just a cleverly done picture by Sakurai. lol

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Let's be honest, Genesect is pretty much on his way to becoming the new Lucario. I know Lucario is popular and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Genesect got prioritzed over him.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Let's be honest, Genesect is pretty much on his way to becoming the new Lucario. I know Lucario is popular and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Genesect got prioritzed over him.

Well, I'm not sure on that. I'd love for Genesect to get in but Lucario had massive popularity going out of the movie, tons of merchandise following it and still makes appearances to this day. As of right now, Genesect's popularity has been split between Mewtwo due to how the movie's being played and most fans preferring his return over the newcomer and from what I understand the movie has been rather controversial (though admittedly mostly due to the Mewtwo issue) compared to Lucario's much better received one. It may turn out different depending on how GF decides to market but right now Lucario is in a better standing position.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, I'm not sure on that. I'd love for Genesect to get in but Lucario had massive popularity going out of the movie, tons of merchandise following it and still makes appearances to this day. As of right now, Genesect's popularity has been split between Mewtwo due to how the movie's being played and most fans preferring his return over the newcomer and from what I understand the movie has been rather controversial (though admittedly mostly due to the Mewtwo issue) compared to Lucario's much better received one. It may turn out different depending on how GF decides to market but right now Lucario is in a better standing position.
Currently Lucario is. I said Genesect is on his way to achieving equal popularity in game and Anime, so it makes more sense to have Genesect.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Currently Lucario is. I said Genesect is on his way to achieving equal popularity in game and Anime, so it makes more sense to have Genesect.

Following the trend set it may, but it has a much harder hill to climb then Lucario by comparison. It has to differentiate itself from Mewtwo, fight through the negative opinions of the movie and deal with being an event pokemon and thus not making too many appearances. If it can make it, then I say it deserves its spot, but for now, it's a long road ahead of it.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
What? how is genesect becoming the new Lucario?
Lucario had a prominent role in a movie and then was heavily promoted for a time. Genesect is currently having a similar role of theatrical prominence and promotion :p simple really. And I will say that if Lucario wasn't in brawl he sure as hell wouldn't be in the next smash (but his veteran status boosts him quite a bit)

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Wasn't Zoroark the new Lucario? Or did he/she failed at it? lol

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Well Zoroark got a movie but that's been out for a while. If the next smash was around Gen 5's release Zoroark would be the new Lucario but Genesect is currently the one filling that role if you don't count newtwo

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah pretty much. first revealed pokemon of the gen, had a movie to promote her, had a psuedo legendary status like Lucario. she was just never as popular. i like her though. i think she'd be a cool addition to smash

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Lucario was the first 4th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was one of the first known 4th Generation Pokemon. It is rare in-game Generation 4.
Zoroark was the first 5th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was one of the first known 5th Generation Pokemon. It is rare in-game Generation 5.
Genesect was the last 5th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was the last known 5th Generation Pokemon. It is an event legendary.

Yeah guys, Genesect is clearly the new Lucario. The similarities are just everywhere.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
yeah pretty much. first revealed pokemon of the gen, had a movie to promote her, had a psuedo legendary status like Lucario. she was just never as popular. i like her though. i think she'd be a cool addition to smash
I think Zoroark was reasonably popular, probably didn't take off as well as lucario but still popular :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
NEW ROSTER UPDATE: VERSION 4.5!!!! ( I decided to re-post this with a slightly different change, I sadly replaced Lyndis with Medusa.)

Full Roster 4.5.png

Noticeable differences:

Matthew - Most people have Issac, as he appears in all the titles. I have Matthew because it seems he has replaced Issac's role and is mostly a reboot of him. This will be a more relevant way of representing Golden Sun. But both are very likely, but I go with Matthew.

Starfy - Starfy is one of the most likely, he's had 3 GBA installments, a 4th on DS, and a fifth western release on DS. He has become a pretty big Nintendo All-Star and has a lot of Move Set Potential. I suggest others add him.

Sheriff - He was the first Nintendo game (not counting Computer Othello.) as well as an international arcade title, he can represent the arcade and his status of recognition is similar to that of Ice Climbers.

Newtwo - since Newtwo should be able to do every thing Mewtwo can, there's really no point in implementing the transformation, once you become the upgraded form there is no reason to switch back to the original form. It's easier to just have him as his own character so that's what I did.

NEW! Genesect - My newest addition. I didn't add Genesect because he's a new Pokemon, I added him because we need a Pokemon that hasn't already been playable. Genesect fits the description Sakurai gave on how he adds Pokemon characters. Genesect being in SSB seems very likely and has so much potential.

NEW! Medusa - If Sakurai brings us the Goddess of Light, it's likely he might want to add the Goddess of Darkness as a semi-clone. It seems like a likely thing to do. StarFox got 3 reps so I don't see it too unlikely for Kid Icarus to. Sakurai seemed to really want to push Kid Icarus in the Smash 4 Trailer.

Paper Mario - Bowser Jr is very likely to be the 5th Mario rep, but I see Paper Mario to be more preferred and unique. It just seems like the more logical choice.

Bomberman - Konami has recently acquired one of the most popular/iconic third-party characters from the deceased Hudson Soft. Bomberman has had as much affiliation with Nintendo as any of the third-parties if not more and has had games on practically every game machine since NES. It hasn't been confirmed that third-party characters will return and Sakurai and Konami may want to make use of this character.

Sonic & Snake - Most games that have guest characters usually only have them once. If any game does that it should be Smash Bros. I'm sure Sakurai may want to prioritize Nintendo Characters in a Nintendo fighting game, and not have too many Third-Parties. We could have Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man, and though it's hard to imagine SSB without Sonic, there is the possibility either 3 will be too many and Sakurai may want a second third-party to have a chance. I just don't see third-parties as veterans. (I know Snake was added as a favor, but it was a request for him to make an appearance, not be a veteran for life. That'd be a pretty huge favor)

Mii - I think it's obvious he will use moves from Wii Sports, Wii Party, StreetPass Quest, and maybe even Pilot Wings Resort.

Costumes:

Villagette - I predict half of Villagers colors will be Boy, and the other half will be girl.

Dry Bowser - Either 1 costume or a second set like Wario & Villager.

If you have opinions or constructive Criticism, please give suggestions below.

(Credit to Ariand/AEM for making the Backgrounds of Mewtwo and Sheriff)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lucario was the first 4th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was one of the first known 4th Generation Pokemon. It is rare in-game Generation 4.
Zoroark was the first 5th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was one of the first known 5th Generation Pokemon. It is rare in-game Generation 5.
Genesect was the last 5th Generation Pokemon to have a starring role in a movie. It was the last known 5th Generation Pokemon. It is an event legendary.

Yeah guys, Genesect is clearly the new Lucario. The similarities are just everywhere.
But are you seriously sure Game Freak would recommend Genesect in a heartbeat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom