• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Because we need to shut up the horny furries.
........Ouch.......:(

Don't even get me started on what the Sonic fanbase will do.
I think it's actually bad either way. If you take em out, I lose my main and many fans lose their minds. If you leave em in, you're stuck with an endless flood of "We shuld ad Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Silver, Blaze, Rouge, etc." which is almost as bad as people requesting anime characters. I know the Sonic franchise has alot of good characters, but c'mon people!

....On that note, I want a Metal Sonic alt costume. :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Miyamoto in an interview pretty much said Starfox isn't a priority along with F-Zero so most people are taking this info as "Starfox and F-Zero are dead"
here is the link
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero

just because I'm using a link from IGN doesn't mean I like them just saying :bubblebobble:
Not a current priority =/= dead. Like I said if Starfox doesn't get another game in like 2 years then I'll consider it dead. Priorities can change in like 2 years you know. e_e

Reznor

work in progress
Yeah, finding a Retro character that isn't Little Mac or Takamaru (Samurai Warriors 3), is tough.

Mach Rider is my default option. :p
Balloon Fight guy is the best Retro character he should be playable or the Excite Bike guy
also cool info Excite Bike guy was one of the characters considered for being playable in Melee

Morbi

Scavenger
Balloon Fight guy is the best Retro character he should be playable or the Excite Bike guy
also cool info Excite Bike guy was one of the characters considered for being playable in Melee
Excite Bike guy gets my vote. Not only was he considered for Melee... but he was an assist trophy in Brawl. Not to mention the fact that Villager doesn't have a motorcycle move yet. :troll:

Gune

Smash Lord
Just to add onto this train of thought with why Mewtwo is such a good character for a spot this time:

I think Sakurai would be wise to avoid "flavor of the month" characters this time around. Ike and Lucario are in a tough spot where they could be cut for more relevant reps BUT then we loose their movesets and people became attached to these characters in smash. It's a better Idea to rep characters that will always be the "face" of the franchise and not just who's popular at the moment. Mewtwo can accomplish both being current and being a recognizable face of the franchise. FE I keep mentioning has a huge issue here due to, similar to pokemon, the game series changes who the current "face" of the series is and thus it's hard to keep just adding who's current, over reping or having to cut old characters while smash fans become attached to the character and moveset.

my suggestion is cutting lucario for mewtwo while we have this chance at being "current" and just getting pokemon reps to be the original starters(pkmn trainer) the face of the franchise (pikachu) japans favorite (jigglypuff) and the original legendary ultimate pokemon (mewtwo).

To fix fire emblem I suggest obviously keeping Marth, keeping Ike due to smash fans liking him, and bringing Roy back due to smash fans REALLY wanting him back and then NOT adding anyone new this time so that doesnt become the tradition but taking the opportunity to give marth an alternate costume as lucina (masked as marth) that way reping awakening and the current series without over reping FE and dooming us to forever over rep FE in smash. Hopefully sakurai thinks up a similar solution here.
Why is it that Ike is the only who get's to stay because people like him while Lucario doesent? People like him too, matter of fact just add mewtwo and chrom or lucina and call it day I dont see why Lucario is the only one getting singled out everytime.

Reznor

work in progress
Not a current priority =/= dead. Like I said if Starfox doesn't get another game in like 2 years then I'll consider it dead. Priorities can change in like 2 years you know. e_e
there hasn't been a new star fox game in 9 years and there is no talk about a new one its pretty much dead man which sucks I liked Star Fox Assault :c (only VS mode though)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Excitebiker could be really interesting. The ramps could provide recovery and could help offset his lack of good jumps.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why is it that Ike is the only who get's to stay because people like him while Lucario doesent? People like him too, matter of fact just add mewtwo and chrom or lucina and call it day I dont see why Lucario is the only one getting singled out everytime.
Yeah. Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike always get the short end of the stick. Toon Link is understandable. Lucario and Ike? Not so much. Lucario was one of the only newcomers I liked playing as. I honestly don't see why PKMN Trainer isn't at the top of everyone cut list. Cutting him is like cutting 3 (maybe 4) characters. Sacrifice one veteran for the sake of many others....

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I think my sig is the perfect description of this thread. xD
I think Habanero's fits better.

Prince Sable is a personal 1# option for a retro rep.
Is that affected by the early fake leaks featuring Prince Sable at all? Also, wouldn't his fighting style be kind of...odd? I mean, most of the combat in that game was featured around dustcloud battling after all. I wouldn't mind Prince Sable, he's an interesting choice, but I think there are others that fit better than he does. Namely Takamaru, Little Mac and Sukapon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No, I watched the whole playthrough, then play some of it on my own, I find the game really satisfying.
Also you can make dustclouds a special move, while using his forms for attacks.
Thats what makes him unique.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Habanero's fits better.

Is that affected by the early fake leaks featuring Prince Sable at all? Also, wouldn't his fighting style be kind of...odd? I mean, most of the combat in that game was featured around dustcloud battling after all. I wouldn't mind Prince Sable, he's an interesting choice, but I think there are others that fit better than he does. Namely Takamaru, Little Mac and Sukapon.
I think it is based on his avatar. :awesome:

I agree though. Takamaru, Little Mac, and Sukapon would be better.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yeah. Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike always get the short end of the stick. Toon Link is understandable. Lucario and Ike? Not so much. Lucario was one of the only newcomers I liked playing as. I honestly don't see why PKMN Trainer isn't at the top of everyone cut list. Cutting him is like cutting 3 (maybe 4) characters. Sacrifice one veteran for the sake of many others....
I cut Lucario cause Zoroak can replace him and add a new gimmick. It just makes sense to me for Zoroak to replace Lucario.

Morbi

Scavenger
I cut Lucario cause Zoroak can replace him and add a new gimmick. It just makes sense to me for Zoroak to replace Lucario.
No doubt. I mean I wouldn't mind it if that was the case. I just don't like when he gets cut for no apparent reason. Zoroark's gimmick would certainly be interesting to see in Smash.

Reznor

work in progress
but why will we get a 5th gen rep when 6th gen is all the rage I mean we did skip 3rd gen so we probably will skip 5th

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I personally blame the Pokemon Trainer and the overrated Charizard. I mean seriously, I like Charizard too, but to keep him so important to the franchise...when he really isn't...is kind of strange in its own sense. I know the idea behind the Pokemon Trainer is to represent the huge amount of people who played, and still play, Pokemon, but I just feel now that there's no real need for the Pokemon Trainer anymore aside from not wanting to piss off the Charizard fans. If they got rid of the Pokemon Trainer, I would love Lucario to return, but Lucario seems to be getting the short end of the stick.

I-I was only gone for a few hours. What happened?
Noah happened. Don't worry, it's normal. :)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
My best guess is that both Lucario and Ike unfairly get the "flavor of the month" tag and thus most people see them as more expendable. Really though, it's not like either went quietly into the night when their generation/story was over, Lucario still gets advertisements, Ike got a legacy character in Awakening and both remain popular so the tag never fit to begin with.

Also, PT kind of gets a pass for the reasons Hotfeet stated.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
but why will we get a 5th gen rep when 6th gen is all the rage I mean we did skip 3rd gen so we probably will skip 5th
*sigh* again, you mis interpet what I mean. -_-

I do not have Zoroak there as a rep for gen 5 even though his inclusion reps it no matter what. Zoroak can replace Lucario as a spiritual succesor and add a new gimmick. Where did I state in my post that it was so he could rep gen 5? Sheesh, I hate it when people put words into my mouth.

Morbi

Scavenger

I do not have Zoroak there as a rep for gen 5 even though his inclusion reps it no matter what. Zorok can replace Zoroak as a spiritual succesor and add a new gimmick. Where did I state in my post that it was so he could rep gen 5? Sheesh, I hate it when people put words into my mouth.
This is a good notion to consider.... why does everyone think that a Pokemon needs to represent a generation? When did this become logic? That is what I would like to know.

Reznor

work in progress

I do not have Zoroak there as a rep for gen 5 even though his inclusion reps it no matter what. Zoroak can replace Lucario as a spiritual succesor and add a new gimmick. Where did I state in my post that it was so he could rep gen 5? Sheesh, I hate it when people put words into my mouth.
I didn't say you put him as a gen 5 rep I was just saying a gen 5 pokemon isn't likely

*sigh* way to go totally over what I meant. Go back quite a few pages to where Jaytalks said what he considered Retro as, I think that sums it up nicely. e_e
wasn't here when he typed that i'll check it out to see what you mean

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
My best guess is that both Lucario and Ike unfairly get the "flavor of the month" tag and thus most people see them as more expendable. Really though, it's not like either went quietly into the night when their generation/story was over, Lucario still gets advertisements, Ike got a legacy character in Awakening and both remain popular so the tag never fit to begin with.

Also, PT kind of gets a pass for the reasons Hotfeet stated.
I think with Ike it's a little different than that. The way I usually see Fire Emblem being repped in every game they've appeared in is that you have the main mascot of the series (Marth) and a recent, or soon to be, protagonist. (Roy and Ike) It's basically wanting to keep the balance between the more modern characters and the classic characters, which has always been apparent with Fire Emblem in Smash Bros. It's for these reasons I can see Ike going, but it depends on whether or not Sakurai would give three spots to Fire Emblem when I'm sure he knows that there are series' that need representation more than Fire Emblem does.

As for Lucario...all I can say is that Pokemon is always changing, never before have we had more than two of the same characters from Pokemon in each game, which were the veterans who appeared first in the original Smash Bros. Who knows, we may not see Pokemon Trainer OR Lucario to always keep bringing in something new, that way you could have say Mewtwo, Genesect AND Sylveon, either way, Pokemon is a tricky franchise to handle, but going off of what's been done before, we may be getting three new reps if they decide to go up to five per huge franchise. It's all speculation, but I'm sure that no matter what happens, people will definitely be happy with it.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Well I updated my roster based on everyone's opinions. As for the retro character, I decided to add Excitebiker instead of Takamaru only because I personally think he would make an interesting addition to say the least. Anyway, here's my new roster:

Any improvement?​

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I updated my roster based on everyone's opinions. As for the retro character, I decided to add Excitebiker instead of Takamaru only because I personally think he would make an interesting addition to say the least. Anyway, here's my new roster:

Any improvement?
No Pokemon Trainer or Toon Link? They should be back. Toon Link possibly replacing Ghirahim.

That's really all I have to say about the roster. Everything else is cool.

Reznor

work in progress

Any improvement?
I'd say only have 3 Star Fox characters and lose 1 FE character 4 is too many
every thing else is cool love the Excite Bike guy

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Any improvement?​
There is definitely some improvement, but I personally feel as if Mario and Pokemon should be even in reps. They're the biggest franchises in the world, by far, and with that knowledge they should be evenly represented. I'm not sure whether or not Zelda needs to match, but it should always be the second biggest repped franchise if not tied for the biggest with Mario and Pokemon. Also, four newcomers for Fire Emblem is a bit much, the same with Starfox.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
This thread contains my ideas and general ramblings about SSB4, so feel free to comment below. Alright, I have changed a lot of my thinking from my previous roster. This one is a lot more realistic.

Mario
- Mario's Down B should remain the F.L.U.D.D.'s squirt nozzle, but should instantly release water without the need for charging, but have a cool down. The F.L.U.D.D.'s squirt nozzle should also do damage and have a decent knock back, which would make it great for instant separation. If used in the air Mario should squirt water downward, resulting in a meteor smash.
- Mario's Up B should be the F.L.U.D.D.'s rocket nozzle, which would be great for vertical recovery. The F.L.U.D.D.'s rocket nozzle should also be cancel-able at any time much like Snake's Cypher.
- I also think it would be neat if before doing Mario Finale (His Final Smash) Mario ate a mushroom. It would just be a neat little feature.

Luigi
- Luigi's Down B, the Luigi Cyclone should be moved to his down air, much like Mario's, and his new Down B should utilize the Poltergust 3000, from Luigi's Mansion, which could suck in anything (items, enemies, ect.) in the direction Luigi was facing. It could suck in Samus's Charge Shot for example, and then whenever the user presses Down B again it would shoot it back out. This would also be great if you sucked in a bob-omb for example and then shot it back out, if it hit a wall or a player it would explode on impact, making Luigi very versatile.
- Luigi's Forward Smash (Palm Poke) should replace his Forward Aerial (Karate Chop) and his new Forward Smash should be his flashlight also from Luigi's Mansion. The flashlight could stun opponents by making them blind if they were in medium rangeor he could smash them on the head with it if they were in close range.
- Upon activating Luigi's Final Smash, the other players would turn into different colored ghosts and Luigi would have a limited time to suck them into his Poltergust 3000 with Down B. At the end of the time given, Luigi would should the ghosts he caught upward, resulting in KO's for players over 70%. This would replace the Negative Zone entirely.

Peach
- Peach should have an alternate outfit from Mario Strikers Charged much like Wario's original and WarioWare outfits.
Her Outfit from Mario Strikers Charged:

<Veggi> - [Peach] should be able to grab the edge backwards while she is floating with her parasol...
- Peach should have a normal second jump.
- Peach's Down B (Vegetable Pluck) should be replaced by a ground pound, which Peach will jump up and then slam back down. This can be used as a recovery, but a risky one, because if you don't grab the ledge, then you have no chance of getting back on the stage. If Peach preforms this move in the air, she will launch herself straight down, and if it connects with an opponent, it will be a meteor smash.
- Peach's Side B should consist of only her golf club and frying pan, in favor of Waluigi and his tennis racket. Her golf club could have more range, but less damage and knock back, while the frying pan could have less range, but more damage and knock back.
- Peach's Neutral B attack should consist of her pulling out a flaming soccer ball and then kicking it in the direction she is facing.
- Instead of Peach's Final Smash putting the opponents to sleep, it should freeze time as well as spawning peaches. This will allow Peach to attack at will without the opponents being able to defend for a limited time. These peaches are only edible by Princess Peach, and heal 5%- 10%.

Bowser
- Sakurai has confirmed that he is making Bowser stand up straighter and move a little bit faster.
- Bowser's new Forward Smash is now a dropkick.
- Bowser is getting a new dash attack, where he kicks in the direction in which he was running.
- Bowser's Up B (Whirling Fortress) should have better vertical recovery.
- When an opponent attacks from behind, his shell could either block some damage, or return some of the physical damage given to him (he does have spikes on his shell.)

Hey guys, I've only done the Mario Franchise so far (it's a lot of typing.) Please leave feedback below.
If anyone knows how to get spoilers to work, please PM me.

D

Deleted member

While it's only relevant to the first few posts of this page, Excitebiker was never "considered".
He was just on a list of various NES stars that went through process of elimination to decide which one would be in Melee.
Excitebiker was just one of the four Sakurai mentioned by name and used him as an example of how eliminations were administered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom