• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh really? A game mechanic functioning exactly like an Assist Trophy is not common sense enough to believe it's an Assist Trophy?
That is being much too ambiguous, what game mechanics are you specifically alluding to? The position of her hands? Dat mechanic. In any event, we do not necessarily know what her assist pose is going to look like as we have no confirmation on that. So I could just as easily assert that this is the position for her new mechanic. It doesn't get us anywhere, we need something definitive.

Personally, it is less about her pose, and more about the reveal. No elaboration (as he usually asserts with assist trophies), no moves show-cased on her character reveal page (as every other character has), the first "assist trophy" pose (as not shown with any other character), a succeeding instance of the very same pose (unprecedented), and the utterly ridiculous start-up animation that has the assist actually attack prior to her 15 second animation ending (you have already stated that Sakurai MAY have edited this).

However, why would Sakurai edit this? The intent is somewhat important. If his intent has a direct correlation with inciting discussion, that would only prove that this is not a common-sense ordeal and that there are two perspectives for a reason.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's my point.

I don't personally consider her a one-off like Ghirahim/Midna, because she is an extension of a central character and represents a race that appears in several Zelda games. But if you still hold her to the same standards as Ghirahim then you can't say Ghirahim won't happen because he's one-shot. That's a double-standard.

Also, yes I know Isaac's in all three games, but I was certain he's the main character in only one, but I guess that doesn't count, so pretend I said every Fire Emblem character ever.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
That's my point.

I don't personally consider her a one-off like Ghirahim/Midna, because she is an extension of a central character and represents a race that appears in several Zelda games. But if you still hold her to the same standards as Ghirahim then you can't say Ghirahim won't happen because he's one-shot. That's a double-standard.

Also, yes I know Isaac's in all three games, but I was certain he's the main character in only one, but I guess that doesn't count, so pretend I said every Fire Emblem character ever.
Exactly why chrom shouldn't be in

Morbi

Scavenger
That's my point.

Guess who isn't a one-shot character? Zelda.

Sheik is Zelda

:troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That is being much too ambiguous, what game mechanics are you specifically alluding to? The position of her hands? Dat mechanic.
No, the mechanic of a non playable character from the Zelda series walking around and attacking characters on a non Zelda stage.

I could just as easily assert that this is the position for her new mechanic.
Then why does she make the pose when there is no Phantom Zelda?

Personally, it is less about her pose, and more about the reveal. No elaboration (as he usually asserts with assist trophies)
Yeah, well he usually does a lot of things, but he usually doesn't as well.

no moves show-cased on her character reveal page (as every other character has)
Isn't the more reason to confirm that it is NOT part of her move set?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Hey, look! Roster! Roast it and move on from useless Phantom Dicussion!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
No, the mechanic of a non playable character from the Zelda series walking around and attacking characters on a non Zelda stage.

Then why does she make the pose when there is no Phantom Zelda?

Yeah, well he usually does a lot of things, but he usually doesn't as well.

Isn't the more reason to confirm that it is NOT part of her move set?
Do you have proof that Phantom isn't being controlled by Zelda? I was imagining something akin to Snake's side-special, possibly similar to Luma (obviously Zelda isn't attacking at the same time, but it could be an extension of that).

Phantom Zelda could easily be off-screen or just fading or just about to make an entrance.

Agreed.

No, Phantom is the only plausible photograph that could pertain to her move-set.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was just joking around, but Sheik isn't an extension of Zelda. Sheik is Zelda. They are the same person, thus it is inherently impossible for her to be a one-shot.
That's what I meant by "extension" of Zelda. Meaning, she is an alter-ego of Zelda. Said alter-ego only officially appears in one game. However, the race she is an representation of appears in several games, so either way, she's not a "one-shot" character.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I took a walk, so I'm late on this.

I was just joking around, but Sheik isn't an extension of Zelda. Sheik is Zelda. They are the same person, thus it is inherently impossible for her to be a one-shot.
Zelda only has the Sheik persona in one game though, so she actually is a one-shot.

Edit: Ninja'd

I always assumed that "Toon Sheik" was a code name. Even then, that data is mostly unfinished, so it's not like it got very far.
Thoughts on Toon Sheik replacing tetra as a transformation for Toon Zelda, (and Toon Sheik in general) and Impa replacing Sheik as a transformation for regular Zelda:

Untitled-1.png

They're abominations beyond hope of salvation.

----

Morbi

Scavenger
Are we really doing this?
We don't have to do it, I was just responding to you as the other discussions going on are boring.

That's what I meant by "extension" of Zelda. Meaning, she is an alter-ego of Zelda. Said alter-ego only officially appears in one game. However, the race she is an representation of appears in several games, so either way, she's not a "one-shot" character.
Yes, I am just being overly literal, hence the troll-face. :rolleyes:

Right?? I can't believe anybody is still thinking that Phantom is part of Zelda.

edit: In this game, anyway.
We shall see. Generic enemy assist trophy from a series with a plethora of options and another Legend of Zelda assist reveal a few weeks prior (Skullkid)... or something else. Phantom closely pertains to the character Zelda, so it isn't exactly absurd to see the possibility in the correlation.

D

Deleted member

I still stand by Vaati being the next best choice for our next Zelda character, I have still yet to see a good argument against him. Now if you can create a good one against him, then go ahead and try.
Uhm.... hasn't had enough spotlight in recent years. His best shot was Brawl tbh.

Don;t get me wrong, I'd love to see Vaati, but imo, as it stands, Impa seems to be the most likely choice if we get a newcomer for Zelda.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Uhm.... hasn't had enough spotlight in recent years. His best shot was Brawl tbh.

Don;t get me wrong, I'd love to see Vaati, but imo, as it stands, Impa seems to be the most likely choice if we get a newcomer for Zelda.
But nobody outside of Smashboards even knows who Impa is.

edit: though the Zelda fanbase is very large.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Besides debating over characters,isn't there one character we can all agree on? Seriously? I mean,everybody but Saturn does not want Tabuu,and everybody but Saturn wants Muddy Mole.

D

Deleted member

Besides debating over characters,isn't there one character we can all agree on? Seriously? I mean,everybody but Saturn does not want Tabuu,and everybody but Saturn wants Muddy Mole.
I don't want Muddy Mole... quit putting words in my mouth *****. ;)

josh bones

Smash Lord
Not at all, Not hate is not the same thing as want.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well, and I'm just popping in to say hai since there's nothing really going on, it looks like there won't be anything interesting going on for a while, so I'll just sit back and relax and watch some Danzahkiin Daily as you guys talk about whatever.

Also, BigAxle, your roster is nice, but I still disagree with the inclusion of Bandana Dee. And whatever you do, DON'T replace Shulk/Isaac with Samurai Goroh.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But nobody outside of Smashboards even knows who Impa is.

edit: though the Zelda fanbase is very large.
Not large engough. Some people may be confused on which Impa,they may either think of the one from Between Worlds,OoT,Awakening,etc. And I'm pretty sure you guys are basing off of Skyward Sword.

andimidna

Smash Master
Are you skipping over the conversation, or do you not understand? Pseudo = False. Pseudo clone, false clone. The average Joe, at first glace, thinks Ike is a clone of Marth, Wolf a clone of Fox, and Lucas a clone of Ness. They aren't clones, but ignorant people call them clones, hence Pseudo clone. I just mentioned that they do in fact share a few moves, final smashes included, Lucas shares six moves with Ness, Wolf shares five moves with Fox, Ike shares one move with Marth. Most blokes just take one look at them and say "blue haired swordsmen, must be clones." This is why I use the false clone term. Again:

Clone: Shares most of a moveset with another, might have a few different moves. - Young Link, Dr. Mario, Roy
Semi Clone: Shares roughly half a moveset with another, mostly different enough, probably Luigified. - Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf
Pseudo Clone: Only called a clone by association/looks, might share a few moves but otherwise completely different. - Lucas, Wolf, Lucario
Original: Not a clone of anyone else, this character might share a move with several other characters, but that's to be expected. - Bowser, Pit, Miss Fit
Unique: Fairly different from what the other characters do, ranging from very different normals to having another character tacked on. - Olimar, Snake, Rosalina
Wouldn't Lucas be a semi clone? Is Lucas really more unique than Luigi?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Here are some things about the Phantom that could pertain to being part Zelda's moveset:

First off, the detailed design.
I know Toon Link was more detailed in Brawl compared to his games, but the detail was toned down for SSB4.

Here it's like they tried to make the Phantom more detailed in order to fit the Twlight Princess style and match up with TP Zelda more...

Second, the note the color of the Phantom. The only Phantom in the series with that desaturated pink/brown coloration is the Phantom that Zelda controls in Spirit Tracks, and it has the same shield design.

There's a pink Phantom in PT, but it's a more saturated pink, and it has a different shield design.

What does this mean? Well, if the Phantom is an Assist Trophy, then it could be Toon Zelda in the Phantom armor, but that's be a bit unusual.

If it's meant to be a generic Phantom, then wouldn't it make more sense for it to have a different coloration and shield design?

Put that **** in a spoiler box. I don't want to scroll down on all that.
Oh please, it's not THAT long.

----

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think topics should be more about what characters will get in and not as much what characters most people want to get in. But everyone seems to think that because somebody discusses or defends a character that they obviously must like them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here are some things about the Phantom that could pertain to being part Zelda's moveset:

First off, the detailed design.
I know Toon Link was more detailed in Brawl compared to his games, but the detail was toned down for SSB4.

Here it's like they tried to make the Phantom more detailed in order to fit the Twlight Princess style and match up with TP Zelda more...

Second, the note the color of the Phantom. The only Phantom in the series with that desaturated pink/brown coloration is the Phantom that Zelda controls in Spirit Tracks, and it has the same shield design.

There's a pink Phantom in PT, but it's a more saturated pink, and it has a different shield design.

What does this mean? Well, if the Phantom is an Assist Trophy, then it could be Toon Zelda in the Phantom armor, but that's be a bit unusual.

If it's meant to be a generic Phantom, then wouldn't it make more sense for it to have a different coloration and shield design?
Put that **** in a spoiler box. I don't want to scroll down on all that.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Impa is certainly an important cast member of the Zelda series. But, sometimes being important doesn't matter in circumstances where you are redundant. Otherwise we would still have Dr. Mario and most likely Ninten as a separate character.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

There have been plenty of characters that haven't seen the spotlight for a while but have made it into Smash or are very requested for it.(and no, I'm not talking about retros)

Already gave you multiple. There's no point, you're just stubborn.
Last I remember, I counterargued your counterargument.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

This is my ideal roster
My main beef with this roster is Snake not being there, and having Dark Samus instead of Ridley.

Quite frankly, Snake can't be "cut" like everybody likes to think, unless Sakurai planned on it being a one time thing. There is plenty of reasons for him to come back. But I can save my rants for later.

While Dark Samus could be put in there for the sake of the Prime series, but it's pretty clear that Sakurai is placing a major focus on Other M. So with that in mind, I feel that Dark Samus's chances are slim to none.

I do like the no cuts roster, but the only character I wouldn't add is Impa, because I'm not a fan of her. But that is my personal bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom