• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Last I checked, that Phantom was "To Be Determined". We have nowhere near enough information to make proper judgement. I agree in that I think it's an assist, but it isn't set it just yet.
Unless there is a new game mechanic then it's still a common sense situation. Like Wario being playable. We can't confirm it, but do we really need to?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Do you have a source? Every time someone brings up Sakurai's intent, I attempt to search for any relevant articles that assert that he isn't planning on cutting anyone, as you may have suspected, I have been quite unsuccessful.
I do remember reading an article a while ago... But I don't know where it is, sorry.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I'm just gonna give my reasoning for impa
1.She is more important to the series as a whole appearing in many of the games like OoT/3D, SS and ALBW
2.She is actually a sheikah and would represent the concept better plus she was the one who gave zelda the ability to become a sheikah and disguise herself
3.Sheik is just a disguise for zelda she uses in one game and doesn't even fight in
4.People only like sheik for her moveset, so why not just take that and give it to a more important character, they did it with toon link and debatebly lucario
5.She adds another female (sheik is debateable)
6. I think Sheik is bringing zelda down more than helping her because they had to be opposites leaving zelda with the obvious worse side being slow and because she all magicy and stuff I guess she had to be floaty letting her getting knocked around like a ragdoll
7.the magic gameplay should be what makes her unique not a transformation that is technically making her worse
8.Not many people actually use both so you might as well split them up and buff them both

Those are my reasons agree, disagree I don't really care but I'm gonna stick with Impa until proven wrong, I never said it was likely it's just what I think should happen

I have but I don't think that snake fits with SSB4 due to it being brighter and more cheery and stuff and with ridley I just don't see it happening I think if sakurai wanted ridley in he would have done it in melee or brawl
I guess I would be cool with Impa. The reason I don't like cuts is because a whole unique moveset is gone, but if Impa has a similar moveset, plus giving Zelda a new down b and herself, I would be cool with it. I'd rather get a character cut and still have his moveset then just cutting a character altogether.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why do you act so surprised, he's the centerpiece of my signature.

And he was not the underlying villain, sure, but he stirred up alot of trouble, was the face of the villains, was heavily advertised before the release of the game (Demise and Imprisoned don't have promotional artwork), was way, way more significant and popular than Zant in Twilight Princess, and unlike Zant, who explicitly died, and Skull Kid, who was reformed and lost his iconic traits, and Midna, who's story was cleanly closed up in her one game, Ghirahim's backstory and such is left very ambiguous, meaning he could return if we asked nicely/they find a use for him. If we get a one-time Zelda character, it will be Ghirahim. Or maybe Midna.

Don't use the one-time argument here, I'll just completely ignore it.
The humorous thing about the one-time argument, is that it is really the only argument that effectively opposes him. Otherwise, he would be a real contender.

I don't believe the art style will really affect Snake much if at all. A similar thing was said against Toon Link in Brawl but yet he made it in just fine.
That response didn't really refute anything. In fact, one might assert that you supported his argument. You should of gone for a more grotesque example, like Ganon.

josh bones

Smash Lord
1.She is more important to the series as a whole appearing in many of the games like OoT/3D, SS and ALBW
2.She is actually a sheikah and would represent the concept better plus she was the one who gave zelda the ability to become a sheikah and disguise herself
3.Sheik is just a disguise for zelda she uses in one game and doesn't even fight in
4.People only like sheik for her moveset, so why not just take that and give it to a more important character, they did it with toon link and debatebly lucario
6. I think Sheik is bringing zelda down more than helping her because they had to be opposites leaving zelda with the obvious worse side being slow and because she all magicy and stuff I guess she had to be floaty letting her getting knocked around like a ragdoll
7.the magic gameplay should be what makes her unique not a transformation that is technically making her worse
8.Not many people actually use both so you might as well split them up and buff them both

Those are my reasons agree, disagree I don't really care but I'm gonna stick with Impa until proven wrong, I never said it was likely it's just what I think should happen

I have but I don't think that snake fits with SSB4 due to it being brighter and more cheery and stuff and with ridley I just don't see it happening I think if sakurai wanted ridley in he would have done it in melee or brawl
Metalk Gear is more cheery than Metroid first of all, and not being in earlier is horrible reasoning.
We could have gotten Dedede in Melee.
Megaman and Brawl, and so on.

josh bones

Smash Lord

Metalk Gear is more cheery than Metroid first of all, and not being in earlier is horrible reasoning.

Ricky Winterborn

Smash Rookie

NEWCOMER: Mach Rider (Mach Rider: Unchained)
Unlockable Costume: Excitebike Outfit
Mach Rider is a strong and yet underestimated retro revival contender because most people don''t even know what this franchise is or what it is capable of. Basically it featured a guy on a motorcycle outfitted with many different high tech weapons like chain guns and other explosives. If he were to get killed he would reform back to his human state sort of like the T-1000 from Terminator 2. His story was a vague revenge mission (according to SSBM's trophy info) out to destroy an alien threat while also trying to liberate neighboring cities and regions under the alien's control. Anybody remember that reboot announcement, Mach Rider Unchained? This game was announced a year or two ago but since then not a peep has come out about the project, hell it could of been cancelled or never existed in the first place.
Imagine an open world exploration game with just a man and his motorcycle equipped with a powerful armored suit of unknown origin and abilities looking for parts and upgrades to make his life easier. Suddenly an alien invasion strikes Earth lead by a new extra terrestrial villian vowing to harvest Earth's resources etc. Mach Rider's family is killed in the beginning and so starts his ultimate quest to do what ever he can to save others maybe even build up his own team of fellow outsiders/travellers, who knows! Boss battles on foot and on motorcycles it can't get anymore epic than this!!

NEWCOMER: Ray (Custom Robo Games)
Unlockable Costumes: Other Ray models
Ray is Nintendo's only japanese looking "mecha" hero recurring in 5 or 6 Custom Robo games making him the most recurring robo fighter with Chibi Robo closely behind. He is a solid addition to add to the roster and holds a plethora of potential. His default appearance should be his 01 version utilized in the Nintendo Gamecube's version because this was the first Custom Robo game released internationally & in western markets. In game he should stand at the height of Toon Link or Olimar and come equipped with special jumping manuevers not applicable to any other fighter.

Even if you never played a Custom Robo game wouldn't you get a little hyped up just seeing this guy playable? I don't know if there are any Custom Robo fans on this board, but imagine a giant arena based multiplayer game with tons of customizable options, DLC, enviroments, different physics etc, all shown in glorious HD, the possibilities with this franchise are endless. The Holosseum would also make an awesome stage for Smash Bros.

NEWCOMER: Ricky Winterborn (1080 Snowboarding & Wave Race games)

Unlockable Costumes: Panda Man & Ice Man Suits
C'mon you can't get anymore unique/nostalgic than this, seeing an elemental snowboard warrior representing both franchises: 1080 Snowboarding and the Wave Race games (Blue Storm). Ricky Winterborn according to the fans is the most popular character from the franchise and I think he would be a better choice over Ryota from Wave Race, because a snowboarder would offer a much more unique moveset (Winterborn was a playable character in Blue Storm) . Snowboard boomerang? Frost Knuckles, snowboard tricks, ice surfing? Ricky Winterborn is the closest thing to seeing a playable Rundas (Metroid Prime 3). Where the hell are the next gen 1080/Wave Race games at anyway? Wii U Wave Race...with us?
Also keep in mind Smash Bros does not feature many 1st party "modern" looking characters. Snake & Samus were the closest but Winterborn could fill the void of a modern looking teenage guy with an mp3 headset, vest and other winter gear probably appealing to more of the casual players and other hardcore sport oriented fans etc.

Mac & Saac (Punch-Out & Golden Sun)

Unlockable Costumes: Classic Mac (hair) & Jogger Outfit / Dark Dawn Isaac (older more grizzled) & Mathew's Outfit
Perhaps the most likeliest and strongest duo to enter the fray of Smash Bros, Little Mac is long over due and Isaac would lay waste to the field of battle with his unparalleled adept abilites and sword attacks. Lots of buzz going around on the internet about these two but I think it is almost obvious they both will be included. I just wish people did not forget about the other worthy franchises that could make a comeback via smash bros like the the first 3 characters shown here on the list. Maybe they won't appear in this installment, but there will always be another... I hope.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If I may ask real quick, who's more important Zero or Protoman? I'm making my Assist Trophies and I'm not sure who is the more important out of the 2.
I'm absolutely certain it's going to be a Classic series character, and my bets are on Protoman. That said, it could be some crazy choice like Roll or Gutsman. I, for one, would absolutely love to see Roll show up and start beating the **** out of everybody with a broom.

The humorous thing about the one-time argument, is that it is really the only argument that effectively opposes him. Otherwise, he would be a real contender.
No, it doesn't. Just because Brawl didn't have a one-time character doesn't mean it will never happen. It would not bother me if people weren't so dismissive about it.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
no but sakurai gave reasons for dedede and with mega man he was kinda dead at that point, ridley has always been an important character but what did he do he made him a boss and now probably a stage hazard (Lets not get into that) I just think sakurai sees ridley as more of a boss character

No, it doesn't. Just because Brawl didn't have a one-time character doesn't mean it will never happen. It would not bother me if people weren't so dismissive about it.[/quote]

I don't think hes just gonna throw in characters because they are popular then we would have geno in brawl but the argument stands he's just nowhere near important enough, I guess the same could be said for rosalina but she was in galaxy one of the most popular mario games and that led to her being playable in mario games then eventually smash, while ghirahim and skyward sword...[/quote]

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That response didn't really refute anything. In fact, one might assert that you supported his argument. You should of gone for a more grotesque example, like Ganon.
Back during Brawl, people argued that Toon Link couldn't make it in due to said game's art style being of a more realistic and detailed direction. Of course we later found out that said game's art style was no real obstacle for Toon Link at all as Sakurai managed to make him playable just fine.

Now, some people are using this same argument on Snake, except it's the other way round, instead of the art style being realistic and detailed, it's because it looks more bright and colorful.

If Brawl realistic art direction didn't stop Toon Link from making it into that game, I don't see why Smash U and 3D's brighter look would be any issue for Snake, and like you said, there is also Ganondorf and a few other more detailed looking characters too who will most likely return anyway, regardless of this games art direction.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
What about the other 9 rules?
Rule 2. Do not overestimate Impa's Chances. There ARE obstacles.
Rule 3. Don't be a fake supporter.
Rule 4. Don't start Flame Wars.
Rule 5-10. Don't be that guy.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I don't think they would do that and we do know what his

no but sakurai gave reasons for dedede and with mega man he was kinda dead at that point, ridley has always been an important character but what did he do he made him a boss and now probably a stage hazard (Lets not get into that) I just think sakurai sees ridley as more of a boss character
Do you honestly think we're getting dynablade again? Ridley is probably one of the most deserving characters there. Sakurai's going for uniqueness here, so there's no way we're getting dark samus.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think they would do that and we do know what his
His what? I have no idea what to take from that sentence.

Mach Rider is a strong and yet underestimated retro revival contender because most people don''t even know what this franchise is or what it is capable of. Basically it featured a guy on a motorcycle outfitted with many different high tech weapons like chain guns and other explosives. If he were to get killed he would reform back to his human state sort of like the T-1000 from Terminator 2. His story was a vague revenge mission (according to SSBM's trophy info) out to destroy an alien threat while also trying to liberate neighboring cities and regions under the alien's control. Anybody remember that reboot announcement, Mach Rider Unchained? This game was announced a year or two ago but since then not a peep has come out about the project, hell it could of been cancelled or never existed in the first place.

Imagine an open world exploration game with just a man and his motorcycle equipped with a powerful armored suit of unknown origin and abilities looking for parts and upgrades to make his life easier. Suddenly an alien invasion strikes Earth lead by a new extra terrestrial villian vowing to harvest Earth's resources etc. Mach Rider's family is killed in the beginning and so starts his ultimate quest to do what ever he can to save others maybe even build up his own team of fellow outsiders/travellers, who knows! Boss battles on foot and on motorcycles it can't get anymore epic than this!!

Ray is Nintendo's only japanese looking "mecha" hero recurring in 5 or 6 Custom Robo games making him the most recurring robo fighter with Chibi Robo closely behind. He is a solid addition to add to the roster and holds a plethora of potential. His default appearance should be his 01 version utilized in the Nintendo Gamecube's version because this was the first Custom Robo game released internationally & in western markets. In game he should stand at the height of Toon Link or Olimar and come equipped with special jumping manuevers not applicable to any other fighter.

Even if you never played a Custom Robo game wouldn't you get a little hyped up just seeing this guy playable? I don't know if there are any Custom Robo fans on this board, but imagine a giant arena based multiplayer game with tons of customizable options, DLC, enviroments, different physics etc, all shown in glorious HD, the possibilities with this franchise are endless. The Holosseum would also make an awesome stage for Smash Bros.

C'mon you can't get anymore unique/nostalgic than this, seeing an elemental snowboard warrior representing both franchises: 1080 Snowboarding and the Wave Race games (Blue Storm). Ricky Winterborn according to the fans is the most popular character from the franchise and I think he would be a better choice over Ryota from Wave Race, because a snowboarder would offer a much more unique moveset (Winterborn was a playable character in Blue Storm) . Snowboard boomerang? Frost Knuckles, snowboard tricks, ice surfing? Ricky Winterborn is the closest thing to seeing a playable Rundas (Metroid Prime 3). Where the hell are the next gen 1080/Wave Race games at anyway? Wii U Wave Race...with us?
Also keep in mind Smash Bros does not feature many 1st party "modern" looking characters. Snake & Samus were the closest but Winterborn could fill the void of a modern looking teenage guy with an mp3 headset, vest and other winter gear probably appealing to more of the casual players and other hardcore sport oriented fans etc.

Unlockable Costumes: Classic Mac (hair) & Jogger Outfit / Dark Dawn Isaac (older more grizzled) & Mathew's Outfit
Perhaps the most likeliest and strongest duo to enter the fray of Smash Bros, Little Mac is long over due and Isaac would lay waste to the field of battle with his unparalleled adept abilites and sword attacks. Lots of buzz going around on the internet about these two but I think it is almost obvious they both will be included. I just wish people did not forget about the other worthy franchises that could make a comeback via smash bros like the the first 3 characters shown here on the list. Maybe they won't appear in this installment, but there will always be another... I hope.
I AM OVERWHELMED BY THE MAGNITUDE OF THIS POST

Morbi

Scavenger
Back during Brawl, people argued that Toon Link couldn't make it in due to said game's art style being of a more realistic and detailed direction. Of course we later found out that said game's art style was no real obstacle for Toon Link at all as Sakurai managed to make him playable just fine.

Now, some people are using this same argument on Snake, except it's the other way round, instead of the art style being realistic and detailed, it's because it looks more bright and colorful.

If Brawl realistic art direction didn't stop Toon Link from making it into that game, I don't see why Smash U and 3D would be any issue for Snake, and like you said, there is also Ganondorf and a few other more detailed looking characters too who will most likely return anyway.
I apologize, as inferred by my join date, I wasn't really around pre-Brawl. Obviously that argument has since been refuted as you never see something so blatantly biased.

I'm absolutely certain it's going to be a Classic series character, and my bets are on Protoman. That said, it could be some crazy choice like Roll or Gutsman. I, for one, would absolutely love to see Roll show up and start beating the **** out of everybody with a broom.

No, it doesn't. Just because Brawl didn't have a one-time character doesn't mean it will never happen. It would not bother me if people weren't so dismissive about it.
It is really that argument in conjunction with the argument of precedent applied to Smash relevance. Tingle, for instance, has a staggering amount of Smash relevance for a character that isn't entirely important. Prevalent, yes. Important, no. He has his spin-off series to mitigate this notion though. Toon Zelda has an implied intent going for her.

Ghirahim just fits the criteria. So in addition for being a one-shot character, he is also one of the least important/likely Legend of Zelda characters offered.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I come here and we're talking about Impa, replacements, and Phantom Zelda being a MOVE!?!?......eh, I didn't expect much better.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Holy Fish Paste! Use some spoiler tags!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I come here and we're talking about Impa, replacements, and Phantom Zelda being a MOVE!?!?......eh, I didn't expect much better.
We're talking about what an Impa supporter SHOULDN'T DO.
KingShadow is just being that guy.
Phantom Zelda? As a move? Pshhh.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
His what? I have no idea what to take from that sentence.
Sorry I accidentally posted that I think I actually replied in another comment, Found it.

I don't think hes just gonna throw in characters because they are popular then we would have geno in brawl but the argument stands he's just nowhere near important enough, I guess the same could be said for rosalina but she was in galaxy one of the most popular mario games and that led to her being playable in mario games then eventually smash, while ghirahim and skyward sword...

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you wish to actually prove that Phantom is an assist trophy as opposed to a move? I will tell you, it is impossible. You can take a stab at it if you want. There is a staggering amount of evidence to prove that it is a move or a new mechanic, and there is just as much support to prove that it is an assist trophy.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
but little mac only had the 2 old games and he didn't have that boost till the 3rd game same with issac, saki and some others
Little Mac had 4 games, 5 if you count Punch-out Featuring Mr. Dream. Two of his games were in the arcade. He was definitely more established than Pit or the Ice Climbers, yet they got in before him. Doesn't make him any less likely.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think the Phantom Knight was there for us to keep us crazy and guessing on what its role will be till release. :laugh:
So I think we should expect more Diddimpa for months to come.
Sakurai IS that guy. Wouldn't be surprised.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you wish to actually prove that Phantom is an assist trophy as opposed to a move? I will tell you, it is impossible. You can take a stab at it if you want. There is a staggering amount of evidence to prove that it is a move or a new mechanic, and there is just as much support to prove that it is an assist trophy.
Oh, no I can't prove Yoshi is in the game! Like I need proof to know that. All evidence that suggest it's a move is complete bull ****. There is no REAL evidence suggesting it.

Common sense however proves it's an Assist Trophy. There is a non playable Zelda character are on a non Zelda stage. We've already confirmed that the pose Zelda makes has nothing to do with Phantom Zelda. So what evidence suggests something so stupid as it being a move?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sorry I accidentally posted that I think I actually replied in another comment, Found it.

I don't think hes just gonna throw in characters because they are popular then we would have geno in brawl but the argument stands he's just nowhere near important enough, I guess the same could be said for rosalina but she was in galaxy one of the most popular mario games and that led to her being playable in mario games then eventually smash, while ghirahim and skyward sword...
He had more of a role in his one game than Tingle and Impa had in any of their roles, though.

And Geno might have had a chance if he wasn't owned by Square Enix, who are extremely protective of their material.

The closest analogue to Ghirahim was Midna, who became extremely popular after Twilight Princess came out, but that was a year-and-a-half after Brawl's roster was decided.

Characters like Shulk, Isaac, Saki and many other characters gets lots of support but only appear in one game. If none of them appear at all in this game for that specific reason, them maybe you guys are most certainly right.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
What if that Phantom Knight was thrown by Zelda like Dedede's Waddle Dee Throw? :awesome:
GENIUS!!! (Totally not sarcasm)

He had more of a role in his one game than Tingle and Impa had in any of their roles, though.

And Geno might have had a chance if he wasn't owned by Square Enix, who are extremely protective of their material.

The closest analogue to Ghirahim was Midna, who became extremely popular after Twilight Princess came out, but that was a year-and-a-half after Brawl's roster was decided.

Characters like Shulk, Isaac, Saki and many other characters gets lots of support but only appear in one game. If none of them appear at all in this game for that specific reason, them maybe you guys are most certainly right.
No I think impa has been more important to the series as a whole and tingle had his own games so no

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, no I can't prove Yoshi is in the game! Like I need proof to know that. All evidence that suggest it's a move is complete bull ****. There is no REAL evidence suggesting it.

Common sense however proves it's an Assist Trophy. There is a non playable Zelda character are on a non Zelda stage. We've already confirmed that the pose Zelda makes has nothing to do with Phantom Zelda. So what evidence suggests something so stupid as it being a move?
No, there is a difference between proving something and confirming something. It is entirely possible to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt or by a preponderance of the evidence) that Phantom is an assist without an official confirmation. This specific instance is impossible as there is a staggering amount of evidence that would suggest a new mechanic or move as opposed to an assist.

It isn't common sense. That is your perspective and that is that. If you could somehow prove it is common sense, more power to you. But I guarantee that you can't.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

I'm not a big Golden Sun fan but I think Isaac appears in more than one game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It isn't common sense. That is your perspective and that is that. If you could somehow prove it is common sense, more power to you. But I guarantee that you can't.
Oh really? A game mechanic functioning exactly like an Assist Trophy is not common sense enough to believe it's an Assist Trophy?

Issac appears as the protagonist of the first two games and as Matthew's dad in the 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom