• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There, that is an even BETTER idea. Why isn't this a thing? I just don't understand the point of having it in the game if he isn't going to use it to its fullest extent. Even then (if they actually gave spray nozzle some damage), I think the water should probably have slightly more knock-back.
I would agree that some more knockback would likely be needed too. But from the Gameplay footage, I would say it LOOKS like it already got buffed in knockback. The move seems more powerful just by looking at it.

But if F.L.U.D.D did damage it would have to be like Fox's blaster. Not making the enemy flinch. That is, if F.L.U.D.D is still a gimping tool of sorts.

I was thinking more along the lines of:
Up special stays the same.
Down special doesn't charge like in Brawl, but instead insta charges on the ground (like ROB's laser).
When you use the down special on the ground, it functions as normal, when used in the air, it switches to the hover nozzle and helps Mario recover.
Side special works the same, but if you hold down the button for a bit longer it'll swing into a glide, Mario could even slam into the ground to stun enemies.

@SaturnGamer64

You just lost a lot of credibility with my by calling Lucas a clone, his specials are similar yes, but functionally different. All of his regulars are completely different besides the stick. Even Wolf isn't a clone, none of his moves are similar to Fox besides his marginally different specials (and dat Landmaster).

Would Krystal's specials resemble Fox's specials? Yeah, it can form a barrier like Fox's reflector, it can perform a boost like Fox's recovery, it fires blasts like Fox's lasers, she'd probably get a different side special. All of her regular attacks would be completely different though, just like Wolf.
Ok. You know what's up. Good sir I think you need to be a developer for this game.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Another good idea, I like the idea of FLUDD being like ROB's laser. I mean with this idea, you lose nothing, but gain everything...

Anyways, yeah. Lucas isn't a clone, he is in the same vein as Wolf. Even most of his specials function differently like the ice or the PK fire just does knock-back damage (which is horrible compared to the version Ness procures. His up and down specials are the only real copy and paste. Even then, if I recall correctly, the up-special for Lucas is slightly faster. I could be wrong. The normals, smash attacks, and aerials are all pretty much different. His side smash is comparable, but again, they function differently.
His up special goes through enemies doing small continual damage while Ness' hits them and disappears, causing a larger hit. His down special is pretty much the same, but when used in conjunction with his side special, it can actually do a quick boost horizontally in the air, aiding recovery. Wolf's side special is a pretty lazy excuse of a difference, but his blaster and up special are fairly different enough, and there's not much to be done with his reflector.

Oh, whatever! clone, semi-clone, quarter clone, can you people come up with a single term that refers to "Character that shares many moves with another character"? I'm getting kind of tired of the specific terminology.
Lucas shares just five moves (not counting the final smash) with Ness, two of which function completely differently while only one is almost the exact same.

No, I'm trying to find a term that refers to any character that shares a lot of moves with another.

Pseudo Clone would refer to someone who is visually a clone, but not actually.
That is exactly the term you're looking for then, Wolf and Lucas are clones only in looks and very few moves.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
No... it was always Marth because of FE1 and FE3. Anna has never been a main lord.
Fire Emblem didn't really have a mascot. It still doesn't really. Marth got in because he was a popular choice in Japan. (Which may have correlated with the two our of four games in the series he appeared in.) Marth is like the the unofficial face of Fire Emblem, if you will. He's the thing that most people would immediately associate with the series, but I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong, please) he's been officially acknowledged as the mascot. At least not before Melee he wasn't.
Anna kind of serves as the mascot internally. Eh, I don't really know how to put it.
She's the character that kind of brings all of the games together (minus one) since she's been in all of them.

Oh, whatever! clone, semi-clone, quarter clone, can you people come up with a single term that refers to "Character that shares many moves with another character"? I'm getting kind of tired of the specific terminology.
Character That Shares Moves With Another: a CTSMWA
Pronounced like cuts-mwah (mwah as in "mwahahaha.")
:awesome:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This is how I see the clone scale:

Clone as ****: Almost entirely the same moveset as another character - Ex. Young Link, Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy
Semi Clone: Shares roughly half a moveset, may have been Luigified - Ex. Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf
Psuedo Clone: Might look similar and share a couple moves, but otherwise completely different - Ex. Lucas, Wolf, Lucario, Ike, Jigglypuff
Not a clone: Completely original - Ex. Mario, Bowser, Samus/Zamus, Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Miss Fit, Yoshi, Sonic, Dedede, Wario, Pit, DK, Diddy, R.O.B.
Woah das unique: Something far from what anyone else does - Ex. Rosalina, Ice Climbers, Snake, Olimar, Mega Man, Pokemon Trainer
But, I can't use that to refer to Dr. Mario
Because Doc is completely a clone.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Psuedo Clone: Might look similar and share a couple moves, but otherwise completely different - Ex. Lucas, Wolf, Lucario, Ike, Jigglypuff
I can't say I agree with Lucario's and Ike's placement there. They share one or two moves with another character, in which case you might as well throw in examples like Samus/Mewtwo. Personally, I'd just put them into "Not a Clone" since they don't draw from a base character like the other three examples.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can't say I agree with Lucario's and Ike's placement there. They share one or two moves with another character, in which case you might as well throw in examples like Samus/Mewtwo. Personally, I'd just put them into "Not a Clone" since they don't draw from a base character.
Might look similar and share a couple moves, but otherwise completely different.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Might look similar and share a couple moves, but otherwise completely different.
I can't say I agree with that definition, it's a bit broad for what it's trying to do. Again, we have examples like Samus/Mewtwo who share two moves and similar body types (in the sense that they're humanoids) but are completely different otherwise and yet are not thrown into this category. I think that needs to be reworded a bit.

The issue I have with the termology used is that pseudo implies that in some respects they're clones, which neither of the two are. With the other three, they do draw from their previous analogues somewhat so "pseudo" works for them, Lucario and Ike's similarities end at those one-two moves and neither draw from another base character. Plus, the niche that they're built for completely differs from the ones they're compared to, so essentially in no respects are they clones.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
So the week is over, and I'm now ready to post my latest roster update~
I really like this roster. First of all, this roster is really different from other ones, and I like the disposition of the characters.
Secondly, you did choose plausible characters, and you added reps where we need them (DK, Fire Emblem, Metroid, KI and not Mario, Kirby or Starfox).

I really like the fact that you included Robin as she/he is my most wanted newcomer, but truth be told, I don't think we can see her/him without Chrom playable.

I would fill the last slot with a new IP character (TW101, Miyamoto's new IP or original smash character) and this roster would be near perfect for me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can't say I agree with that definition, it's a bit broad for what it's trying to do. Again, we have examples like Samus/Mewtwo who share two moves and similar body types (in the sense that they're humanoids) but are completely different otherwise and yet are not thrown into this category. I think that needs to be reworded a bit.

The issue I have with the termology used is that pseudo implies that in some respects they're clones, which neither of the two are. With the other three, they do draw from their previous analogues somewhat so "pseudo" works for them, Lucario and Ike's similarities end at those one-two moves and neither draw from another base character. Plus, the niche that they're built for completely differs from the ones they're compared to, so essentially in no respects are they clones.
Mewtwo and Samus are not from the same series. Pseudo clone refers to two characters from the same series that look similar enough and share at least one move, not a bunch of moves. They aren't actually clones, I'm just using the term on characters that people always say are clones because they don't actually try them. Lucario, Ike, Wolf, and Lucas aren't clones, but some people call them clones just by taking a glance at them, hence Pseudo (false) clone.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Clone as ****: Almost entirely the same moveset as another character - Ex. Young Link, Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy
Semi Clone: Shares roughly half a moveset, may have been Luigified - Ex. Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf
Not a clone: Completely original - Ex. Mario, Bowser, Samus/Zamus, Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Miss Fit, Yoshi, Sonic, Dedede, Wario, Pit, DK, Diddy, R.O.B.
Woah das unique: Something far from what anyone else does - Ex. Rosalina, Ice Climbers, Snake, Olimar, Mega Man, Pokemon Trainer

Toon Link is at least a semi clone if not a pseudo clone, but he sure as hell is not a clone as **** like Young Link is.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace

Lucario and Ike aren't pseudo-clones. Of who is Ike a clone exactly?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lucario and Ike aren't pseudo-clones. Of who is Ike a clone exactly?
Ike shares a similarity of Roy,because of their swords having the ability of pyrokenesis. AKA Fire Sword.

Lucario shares a similarity to Mewtwo because of their Neutral B.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Ike shares a similarity of Roy,because of their swords having the ability of pyrokenesis. AKA Fire Sword.

Lucario shares a similarity to Mewtwo because of their Neutral B.
But Ike's play style is different from Roy's. And Lucario's Aura Sphere power depends on how much damage he has. In other words, completely different.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But Ike's play style is different from Roy's. And Lucario's Aura Sphere power depends on how much damage he has. In other words, completely different.
But the moves "might look similar"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, but the look does not mean anything. As an example, Lucas's and Ness's down tilts look different but function the same way.
Fine,say what you want,I just want to eat my Coffee Cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom