• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
1. Well, wikipedia told me he used to work for Konami.....one of us is wrong (probably me)
2.Just because some rumors say that's what happened doesn't mean it's true. and, even if that's the case, sonic didn't replace them. Ike replaced roy as the second fire emblem character, even if he wasn't planned to. Lucario replaced mewtwo, even if he wasn't planned to. And Dr. Mario........no-one cares about that clone as far as I've seen. All sonic did was push out those three, not replace.
Yeah, you're using a really bad source of information there.

It isn't a rumour, the game was delayed because of Sonic and several characters were dropped. The three Melee vets that didn't make it were alongside Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda, which obviously were new characters he was working on, random leftovers from Melee wouldn't be there. Ike and Lucario never replaced their respective counterparts, they were planned to be in the game alongside each other. Where the hell have you been that you haven't seen people wanting the Doc?

Interesting point you have there. I'll be honest, I don't really have an idea why. I just feel like if guys like Dr. Mario were intended, that they would have put more data into them before scraping if they were really going to use them. I mean Mario and Marth are so much similar to Roy and Doc that I don't see why they would of had time constraints for them. Back in Melee Sakurai said he could make clones faster than King Dedede, I think that would have applied to Sonic.
The reason he went for clones in Melee was to pad the roster, something he didn't need to do with Brawl. And the reason Sonic got in at all was because of massive fan demand, which was why Sonic took priority over the dropped characters.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
1. Well, wikipedia told me he used to work for Konami.....one of us is wrong (probably me)
Kojima productions is a subsidiary of konami, and every mgs game has been published by them, while being made up of devs from konami. Pretty sure they own the character and series. I can't remember if brawl credited konami or Kojima productions though in the game.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever played a Metal Gear Solid game?This lack of reality gives Snake a sense of belonging in this series, and to be honest, Metal Gear, in my opinion, makes a better fit into this series than Castlevania, as while both are more mature overall, Metal Gear Solid is a little less serious, as it doesn't take itself seriously sometimes.

No, I haven't , and I haven't played Castlevania either....so I can't give my opinion on that.

Yeah, you're using a really bad source of information there.

It isn't a rumour, the game was delayed because of Sonic and several characters were dropped. The three Melee vets that didn't make it were alongside Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda, which obviously were new characters he was working on, random leftovers from Melee wouldn't be there. Ike and Lucario never replaced their respective counterparts, they were planned to be in the game alongside each other. Where the hell have you been that you haven't seen people wanting the Doc?
Just because you say it isn't a rumor doesn't mean it isn't. Also, you forgot Plusle & Minun in the forbidden seven (though they're debatable) And even though they were planned to be alongside each other, they ultimately replaced each other. Also, you have no proof that they were planned to be alongside each other. They could have been added after Mewtwo and Roy were scrapped.

Last edited by a moderator:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
The problem I have mostly with Krystal is that she reminds me of what happened to Dinosaur Planet and by extension the end of Rare's golden age.

I was seriously hyped for Dinosaur Planet and followed previews for it in my Game Informer subscription. Rare's answer to Zelda??? Something that was possibly going to be better than OoT?!? HECK YES! Then the buyout happened, development got muddled and rushed, the game was quickly ported to the gamecube, Starfox was shoved in, Krystal went from main protagonist to oversexed damsel-in-distress, etc. I'd prefer her to stay away from the Starfox series in general.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Just because you say it isn't a rumor doesn't mean it isn't. Also, you forgot Plusle & Minun in the forbidden seven (though they're debatable) And even though they were planned to be alongside each other, they ultimately replaced each other. Also, you have no proof that they were planned to be alongside each other. They could have been added after Mewtwo and Roy were scrapped.
Replace means take one out and put something else in it's place, if you get fired, does your coworker replace you? it's not a rumor, rumor means can't be proven.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
..."Because I say"

No, the data is right there in Brawl, it's actually there. The only made up part is Plusle and Minun (which is why I didn't mention that in the first place), the actual data says Pra_Mai, and no one knows for sure what that means. They were planned to be in together, Roy and Mewtwo were only scrapped after Sonic got added near the end of development after the rest of the roster (minus Wolf) was finished. And do you understand how replacing something works? Replacing is "let's get rid of this and put this in it's place" not "well we were going to have both, but only had time to finish one."

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Interesting point you have there. I'll be honest, I don't really have an idea why. I just feel like if guys like Dr. Mario were intended, that they would have put more data into them before scraping if they were really going to use them. I mean Mario and Marth are so much similar to Roy and Doc that I don't see why they would of had time constraints for them. Back in Melee Sakurai said he could make clones faster than King Dedede, I think that would have applied to Sonic.
Well, remember, Sonic also comes with a new series as well. So "Sonic's" development also referrers to putting in everything associated with Sonic. So the stage, music, trophies, codec conversation, the cutscene in the SSE, stickers, etc. all have to included as well. Introducing one new character, while still pretty demanding on development, is not as demanding as a brand new franchise. So it's more understandable if a lot had to be dedicated to Sonic.

2.Just because some rumors say that's what happened doesn't mean it's true. and, even if that's the case, sonic didn't replace them. Ike replaced roy as the second fire emblem character, even if he wasn't planned to. Lucario replaced mewtwo, even if he wasn't planned to. And Dr. Mario........no-one cares about that clone as far as I've seen. All sonic did was push out those three, not replace.
Replace =/= one got in while the other didn't. You're using the wrong word if you're trying to imply that. Replace means to substitute with something equal. Course, you seem to understand this since you say that "Sonic didn't replace them," so I don't understand.
I care about Dr. Mario...

Morbi

Scavenger
Replace means take one out and put something else in it's place, if you get fired, does your coworker replace you? it's not a rumor, rumor means can't be proven.
Technically Ike did replace Roy, by definition. The intent is irrelevant, as one was taken out, and another was put in the roster slot.

Morbi

Scavenger
But they were both supposed to be in the game, did pokemon trainer replace pichu then?
One is in the game, the other isn't. So yes, the aspect of intent isn't significant as the situation pertains to the definition. I see what you are getting at with a practical application of the definition, but you cannot assert that someone is erroneously using the term as you don't agree with the diction applied to the situation.

josh bones

Smash Lord
One is in the game, the other isn't. So yes, the aspect of intent isn't significant as the situation pertains to the definition. I see what you are getting at with a practical application of the definition, but you cannot assert that someone is erroneously using the term as you don't agree with the diction applied to the situation.
.....Too many words.:troll:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Well, he's on equal grounds with Ghirahim and Zant if we're talking about Zelda games made by Nintendo.:joyful:
Um, no? Just because 2 of his games were co-developed by Capcom doesn't mean they weren't made by Nintendo.
No, I would not consider him the 2nd most wanted Zelda character. That simply isn't true. I even mentioned a recent poll where he got 13th or something. But I know Ghirahim and Toon Zelda are more requested. I've seen more requests for Midna, Young/ALBW Link, and Tingle over him as well.

Last year he was the 2nd most wanted, and he was the 3rd most wanted character in 2011, when Sakurai was deciding the roster, so really, I should have put him at #3.
"Vaati hasn't appeared in a long time, he shouldn't be in the next Smash!
Neither has K.Rool or Marth in Melee. Also so you know, Marth isn't considered the mascot of FE in Japan either. Megaman also hasn't appeared in a long time yet, he has made it into SSB4, so being recent doesn't mean much. Even if you argue against them, Vaati has been in Minish Caps anniversary edition and Four Swords 3DS ambassador."
K Rool... so what? I disagree with K Rool's inclusion as well. Weak. Marth in Melee, not the face of FE... hm.... how? You're going to need to explain this.During Melee's time, Fire Emblem really didn't have a set mascot, and I believe at the time Anna was considered the closest to being it due to being in all the FE games. And understand the difference between choosing a character to represent a whole new series/ a third party series VS the continuation of a series that already has 4 representatives. Let's take a look at the actual newcomers in this Smash Bros to see if recency doesn't mean much. Hm... HALF of the characters announced so far have debuted in 2007 and had a game in 2013. Actually, 3 of them had a game in 2013, yet you just talk about Megaman, an iconic 3rd party character. Also made by Capcom ;)

Not sure what that has to do with anything.
"He's most likely won't ever be seen again!
Vaati actually has a large chance of reappearing again thanks to his large timeline influence, and being known by Ganondorf. Also, every time the 4-Sword is pulled out, this releases Vaati, so he could very well appear again.
In the official time-line there is a big gap between 4-swords and 4-swords adventures which means he could reappear in that timeline again. He also could appear in the other 2 timelines, as he was not defeated in those timelines yet, which leads me to believe that Vaati could be in Zelda U, which may be multiplayer, and Vaati fits a very good role for that game, especially if they use 4 Link's again. He could also be in Hyrule Warriors as his artstyle seems like it would fit pretty well in the game and he could be used as a boss in it too, probably even the final boss if Ganondorf doesn't appear in it.
"
I'm not sure if I stated why I didn't think he'd ever appear again. Well I doubt it, when Nintendo made a game with this character, it sold the worst in the series. Aonuma doesn't usually return villains. Look at what happened to Vaati, he appeared not twice, but 3 times. Like, ever. I find it much more plausible Midna will return in Zelda U. Even though it's probably not going to happen, due to Midna breaking the mirror. There are actually rumors of Zelda U being a sequel to Twilight Princess, with some pretty good chances. And I don't see a Twilight Princess sequel happening without the Twilight Princess. Anyways, I think it would be cool to see Vaati and Twinrova return as villain in Zelda U, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. There are rumors and reasons backing up Midna's return. Rumors should hold almost no argument, as most of them are fake. Whereas you just made up a cute little scenario. Aside from the rumors you may or may not have seen, TP Link and TP Armogohma are in the Zelda U tech demo, and TP Link and TP Zelda are in SSB Wii U/3ds.Tech demo was a tech demo, and didn't even look like Twilight Princess, just another generic Zelda moment. Plus, (might have been Aonuma, not sure) even said that if enough voices call out for the return of Midna, how could they not return her?I need some sauce with that please. Her return would actually be special, and I'm hoping to see Midna's true form weild the Twilight Sword in Hyrule Warriors. The timeline doesn't help or hurt Vaati. And I doubt Zelda U will take place in the Fallen Hero timeline or the Adult Timeline. You know the child timeline is where the huge gap is, right? They've been getting a bunch of games recently, it's time for the Child Timeline. And no, it won't be a sequel to FSA or something like that. The only game less likely to get a sequel than FSA is Link's Awakening. Hyrule Warriors artstyle isn't all pixel-y, I don't see how this can remind you of any of Vaati's appearances. It's pretty cartoony, like Vaati's games. He'd fit right in. Sure, he COULD be added in HWs, but there is no reason to think one way or the other until we get more info.
"He has never fought in his normal form!
We may have never seen Vaati fight in his normal form, but he shows that he can when he teleports and pushes opponents away with his magic. Most of his moves in his other forms can also be easily incorporated into his human form and it wouldn't look awkward, especially most of his moves from the Vaati reborn form, which looks almost just like his normal form, only taller and more features on him."
Yea, this isn't a point against him. I don't see why this matters. Somewhat agreement here.

"Impa and Tingle would be better character than Vaati! These 2 characters are probably the biggest threat to Vaati, however Impa hasn't appeared as an actual person who could fight very often and wasn't that important in very many either besides from her usual starting you on your quest. The only games where she could actually pull some important potential is in OoT, which Sheik was actually a bigger character in, and Skyward Sword which is probably the only version of Impa that is actually important to the story as a whole and could actually fight, at least in her younger form.
Now compare this with Vaati. In all of the games Vaati has been in, he was very important. He was either the main villian or the secondary villian only to Ganon himself. Vaati's importance was also in 3 games, unlike Impa who was only majorly important in one and was overshadowed by Sheik in the other, while not having very important roles in the other few Zelda games she's been in. Impa would also probably fight alot like Sheik but Vaati is almost impossible to make a clone."

Haha, no. Impa is not a threat to Vaati at all. I agree with your Impa points. Except for Impa was overshadowed by Sheik, She kinda was, Sheik being the most prominent Sheikah. she's not that important in OoT because she's part of a group, the sages, and that's her only importance. OoT Impa can't get in w/o everybody else getting in. It'd be like adding just one Koopaling. I agree Vaati wouldn't be a clone.
"Tingle doesn't have too much importance to the Legend of Zelda and about half of his appearances are as cameos. In the games he is important in he either only sells you maps or fuse kinstones. Tingle makes most of his importance in his spin-off games and if we were to count those, than Tingle would be counted as a spin-off character than an actual Zelda character."
Thank you. This basically restates all of my points against Tingle in a few short sentences. People just look up Tingle and see his been in so many games, and then they think he's important. But like Impa, he's only really important in one game and is somewhat important in another. In the rest, they are like any other NPC. I'd definitely prefer Vaati be added over Tingle.

"Nintendo doesn't seem to like him, as his games were also co-created with Capcom.
If Nintendo didn't like Vaati, wouldn't it seem weird that they used Minish Cap as a 3DS ambassador and gave 4-Swords an anniversary edition? Also, Four Swords Adventures wasn't made by Capcom, yet Vaati was in it.
"

Them making the anniversary edition has no correlation to Vaati. Absolutely none. It's the game, the game itself. Also, your title is very misleading.
FSA: Nintendo only
FS: Nintendo and Capcom. The only one co-created.
MC: Capcom only. Nintendo published it but was not a part of the development or choices made, and it is Vaati's biggest appearance.

"Vaati's games aren't well liked and weren't very advertized!
Vaati's games are actually well liked by the public, being very highly acclaimed. Four Swords Adventures was ranked the 48th best game ever made on a Nintendo system by Nintendo power and received an 86 out of 100 from Metacritic. It was also the 3rd best selling game of June 2004 in North America, with 155,000 units and has since sold 250,000 copies and sold 127,000 units in Japan. Minish Cap was also very highly acclaimed. It was named the 20th best GBA game in an IGN feature, and was selected as the 2005 GBA game of the year by Gamespot."

Basically every Zelda game has a better record. There is no major failure of a Zelda game besides the CD-i ones. However, these 3 have achieved the LEAST. Alongside Zelda II and Spirit Tracks. You already saw the data I posted earlier... probably. And you probably saw that I said it doesn't mean much.

You skipped over the real reason Vaati won't be added. He made no appearance in Brawl. Out of the SEVEN HUNDRED stickers that got made, making one for Vaati was overlooked or decided against for some reason.
Now that the character has lost
1) Popularity
2) Relevance
All he has left is old importance. It's kind of like King K Rool, except K Rool is way more asked to return, is way more popular, and is the main villain of his series. Yet I still wouldn't call K Rool likely at all.

There are 700 characters (minus a few, some are of the same character, and some might not be of characters) that took priority over Vaati back when he made sense. I would have made Vaati and Midna playable in Brawl if it was up to me, but no, we got Toon Link instead. Vaati can't really be playable without Toon Link, it's like Bowser without Mario.
And don't forget the 544 trophies of characters that are not Vaati too. Seeing how all the trophies were WW and TP, he couldn't be a trophy. And I'm curious, of the 258 songs in Brawl, were any from these 3 games?

3 new games > 1 anniversary edition.
He was more justifiable then and got nothing.
1 anniversary edition< 1 new home console game
1 anniversary edition< or = 1 full remake, and the other full remake.
1 anniversary edition< 1 new handheld game, and the other new handheld game.

Priority was never in his favor, but it's far from it in 2014.
The rest simply doesn't matter because of this. You can title him "2nd most important villain in the series". Sure. But it won't change that almost everybody got prioritized over Vaati in Brawl in many ways. And he hasn't regained what he had then, just one little anniversary edition that I somehow never heard of until recently, maybe I couldn't hear it over the OoT3d and SS hype? And what is a "3ds ambassador", you keep on saying it, but... what does that even mean and why should anybody care? If you can show me whatever it is sold well, then that's a point, but if it's insignificant, it's insignificant.

Also, are you speculating Vaati, or just hoping. You should be able to tell by now. I'm telling you why it's poor speculation, but, by all means, keep hoping all the way to release!
Responses in Red and write smaller please.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
..."Because I say"

No, the data is right there in Brawl, it's actually there. The only made up part is Plusle and Minun (which is why I didn't mention that in the first place), the actual data says Pra_Mai, and no one knows for sure what that means. They were planned to be in together, Roy and Mewtwo were only scrapped after Sonic got added near the end of development after the rest of the roster (minus Wolf) was finished. And do you understand how replacing something works? Replacing is "let's get rid of this and put this in it's place" not "well we were going to have both, but only had time to finish one."
I was saying you have no proof about the replacing. I new about the fobidden seven, as I MENTIONED it in the last post. And that's why I said Plusle and Minun was debatable, because it might not actually be them. Ok, I give you the fact that they were scrapped after Lucario and Ike were added, but
replaced definition: take the place of.
even though they were planned to be alongside them, in the end, Ike took the place of 2nd Fire Emblem Rep from Roy and Lucario took the place of "Solitary-Pokemon-who-charges-up-dark-power-ball-attacks-and-then-releases-them-forward-like-a-street-fighter-hadouken"

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Good point, actually. I must concede. (Even that wasn't directed towards me, but I was on the same side
I'm actually a little interested if the definition of "replace" implies that there must be intention behind it or not
I must do reeeesearch.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I was saying you have no proof about the replacing. I new about the fobidden seven, as I MENTIONED it in the last post. And that's why I said Plusle and Minun was debatable, because it might not actually be them. Ok, I give you the fact that they were scrapped after Lucario and Ike were added, but
even though they were planned to be alongside them, in the end, Ike took the place of 2nd Fire Emblem Rep from Roy and Lucario took the place of "Solitary-Pokemon-who-charges-up-dark-power-ball-attacks-and-then-releases-them-forward-like-a-street-fighter-hadouken"
So you're saying Mew2 is samus clone?:troll:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
even though they were planned to be alongside them, in the end, Ike took the place of 2nd Fire Emblem Rep from Roy and Lucario took the place of "Pokemon-who-charges-up-dark-power-ball-attacks-and-then-releases-them-forward-like-a-street-fighter-hadouken"
That's not how replacement works. If Worker A and Worker B were contracted to work on a project, then Worker A was kicked off in the middle of the project, Worker B did not replace A because he had his own place to fill. In the same sense, Lucario/PT and Ike were intended to be playable with their companions in their own slots but after Sonic's inclusion resources were diverted away and neither were finished. They did not take Mewtwo or Roy's place because they were never meant to do so nor were they made with the others sacking in mind.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah, Mewtwo and Lucario only have one move.

Let me make this clear for you, they did not take the place of the melee veterans.

Replace = switch this for that. They were not switched, one did not get finished and the other did.

If you make two sandwiches and plan on eating them both, but find that you can't eat the second one, did the first one replace the second one?
Sorry for the random example, just trying to get you to understand what replacing means.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Mewtwo and Lucario only have one move.

Let me make this clear for you, they did not take the place of the melee veterans.

Replace = switch this for that. They were not switched, one did not get finished and the other did.

If you make two sandwiches and plan on eating them both, but find that you can't eat the second one, did the first one replace the second one?
Sorry for the random example, just trying to get you to understand what replacing means.
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess the dictionary I read was a liar?

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
You know what I find funny... if you showed somebody today's Pic of the Day and put it next to one of the leaked pictures of Palutena and asked them which one they thought was fake, I bet they'd say today's pic of the day (the Alfonzo one). People try to point out all of these crazy flaws in the Palutena pics, but these flaws exist in many of the 3ds screens and even some Wii U ones. Is this the longest a Smash Bros rumor has ever lasted?... feels like they all get deconfirmed within the hour usually. The pic of Viridi could suggest Sakurai knew about the leak, and apparently Sakurai has claimed certain rumors he's found out about before as fake in the past. But nothing has been said on this one by him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai didn't replace Mewtwo with Lucario. Sakurai didn't switch Mewtwo with Lucario. But the Pokemon characters did switch from Pikachu, Jiggs, Pichu, and Mewtwo to Pikachu, Jiggs, PKMN Trainer, and Lucario. So take that for what it's worth.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess the dictionary I read was a liar?

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
:facepalm:
re·place(rĭ-plās′)
tr.v. re·placed, re·plac·ing, re·plac·es
To put back into a former position or place.
2. To take or fill the place of.
3. To be or provide a substitute for.
4. To pay back or return; refund.

Ike did not replace Roy, Lucario did not replace Mewtwo.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Lucario did not replace Mewtwo, they were both planned. Mewtwo was just lower priority than Lucario, they both had their own spots to take, but Mewtwo was unable take it's own.

That's not how replacement works.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Can't we all get along? Why do we have to argue about the definition of replace and wether muddy mole is relevant or not? We're all Nintendo fans. More specifically, We're all smash fans. Can't we all unite against one cause? To storm Nintendo's headquarters and force them to add all our favourite characters to smash!

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
@ Arcanir Arcanir
@ josh bones josh bones
@ shrooby shrooby
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
@ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫
@ Morbi Morbi
@ RankoChan RankoChan
@ Louie G. Louie G.
@ KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms
@ andimidna andimidna
@ Chandeelure Chandeelure
@ N3ON N3ON
@SaturnGamer64
@Theguydownthestreet
@everyone else

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Can't we all get along? Why do we have to argue about the definition of replace and wether muddy mole is relevant or not? We're all Nintendo fans. More specifically, We're all smash fans. Can't we all unite against one cause? To storm Nintendo's headquarters and force them to add all our favourite characters to smash!
How about @No.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
:facepalm:
re·place(rĭ-plās′)
tr.v. re·placed, re·plac·ing, re·plac·es
To put back into a former position or place.
2. To take or fill the place of.
3. To be or provide a substitute for.
4. To pay back or return; refund.

Ike did not replace Roy, Lucario did not replace Mewtwo.
Please direct your attention to definition 2

Please remember that Roy was the. 2nd fire emblem rep. Ike came along, and in brawl- you know what?

This will go on forever, and we'll end up hating each other. We're entitled to our own opinions so let's not try to force other people to change theirs. Peace?
*puts out virtual hand*

P.s. I like the animations in your sig

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
That's not how replacement works. If Worker A and Worker B were contracted to work on a project, then Worker A was kicked off in the middle of the project, Worker B did not replace A because he had his own place to fill. In the same sense, Lucario/PT and Ike were intended to be playable with their companions in their own slots but after Sonic's inclusion resources were diverted away and neither were finished. They did not take Mewtwo or Roy's place because they were never meant to do so nor were they made with the others sacking in mind.
Weeeell, for my bit of digging, I went to the most official English dictionary I could think of: Oxford. (Either that or Webster. But Oxford comes first alphabetically. :awesome:)
This definition stuck out the most:
"To take the place of, become a substitute for (a person or thing)."
Now, one could argue that the other definitions that I didn't list don't imply intent either, but this one seemed less debatable.
This definition seems (correct me if I'm wrong English majors) to imply a situation of the form "things happened which resulted in this becoming a substitute for..." because this person or thing "[became] a substitute." IE It wasn't always the plan.
Those "things" could be due to someones intention...or not. The events only played out in such a way that this is there and this is not.

So, yes, one could say that Pokemon Trainer replaced Pichu and they would be correct. Whether or not there was an intention behind the replacement is irrelevant. If they then go out and say that that was the intention, well...then we could debate, but all this definition implies is that the current situation present a case where one thing is present and the other isn't.
This is all very ambiguous, honestly. I'm gonna go do math. Much less ambiguity.

We'll be the biggest storm they've ever seen! Even bigger than Ridley!
But, really, it all comes down to people having a natural want to half people that match their thoughts One can satisfy that from either simply conforming, or convincing others of their thoughts. It really all comes down to how you present yourself and being able to understand other people's views...and being able to know when to stop arguing.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Please direct your attention to definition 2

Please remember that Roy was the. 2nd fire emblem rep. Ike came along, and in brawl- you know what?

This will go on forever, and we'll end up hating each other. We're entitled to our own opinions so let's not try to force other people to change theirs. Peace?
*puts out virtual hand*
This is not an opinion, you are pointing out exactly why you're wrong. "To take or fill the place of." Ike didn't do that, he's the third Fire Emblem character, not the "new second." Roy was unfortunate enough to miss the party, but he got an invitation, he wasn't left out on purpose, Ike wasn't purposely chosen over him as the second "rep." Ike was finished first, Roy was still being worked on, possibly even decloned for all we know, but then Sonic tripped him while he was on his way and he never made it in time. If you want an example of someone actually getting replaced, look no further than Young Link and Toon Link. Toon Link was specifically made to replace Young Link, an entirely different situation from Ike and Roy. Ike doesn't even look or play anything like Roy, he just isn't a replacement.

Well if you want to stop, that's fine. There went that conversation I suppose.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Weeeell, for my bit of digging, I went to the most official English dictionary I could think of: Oxford. (Either that or Webster. But Oxford comes first alphabetically. :awesome:)
This definition stuck out the most:
"To take the place of, become a substitute for (a person or thing)."
Now, one could argue that the other definitions that I didn't list don't imply intent either, but this one seemed less debatable.
This definition seems (correct me if I'm wrong English majors) to imply a situation of the form "things happened which resulted in this becoming a substitute for..." because this person or thing "[became] a substitute." IE It wasn't always the plan.
Those "things" could be due to someones intention...or not. The events only played out in such a way that this is there and this is not.

So, yes, one could say that Pokemon Trainer replaced Pichu and they would be correct. Whether or not there was an intention behind the replacement is irrelevant. If they then go out and say that that was the intention, well...then we could debate, but all this definition implies is that the current situation present a case where one thing is present and the other isn't.
This is all very ambiguous, honestly. I'm gonna go do math. Much less ambiguity.
Except I was never arguing about Pichu, I was talking about Mewtwo and Roy.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Now let's discuss the most likely Kid Icarus newcomers!

Palutena
Magnus
Dark Pit
Medusa
Hades
Viridi
I haven't actually played a Kid Icarus game before (except for the 30 sec Brawl demo) so are there any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom