• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't find that 2 WarioWare characters are entirely likely. I am not precisly sure if Waluigi even counts as a WarioWare character. Other than that, it is certainly an over-looked series and Wario predominately utilizes his WarioWare look, so a second representative is much more likely than people give it credit for. I just don't know about 2 newcomers from that particular series.

Chrom over Ike honestly disheartens me. Ike isn't going anywhere. So if anything, Chrom should be on your undetermined list or whatever (IMO).

Another Mario representative is highly unlikely in the event that we get 2 WarioWare characters. I think you could fix this by making Waluigi your new Mario representative as Daisy's chances are next to none (aside from alt costume/pallet swap Peach). Toad is pretty much de-confirmed at this point, I say this with a heavy heart as I was a Toad supporter prior to the dark dark day... the second dark dark day. As for Paper Mario, most believe he will represent his own series.

Waddle Dee is the only plausible Kirby representative in my opinion. Dark Matter is probably his only real competition.

If you aren't going to blatantly cut Lucario, you might as well keep him on your roster for the time being. He has no reason to go.

I know nothing of Mike Jones or Muddy Mole, but based on what I read here, the Mole is the more valid candidate.

Magnus as the second Kid Icarus representative is fine. Personally I prefer Hades for a plethora of reasons. The most prevalent notion is that he represents more than just Nintendo, Kid Icarus, or his character. He is recognizable to players that have never played a Nintendo game before. His role in the game was more important as well. Magnus screams assist trophy to me. However, I do see a potential second character from Kid Icarus. If he is your pick, more power to you. But you should consider what he offers over characters like Medusa.

Samurai Goroh... nice.

Bomberman over Snake... honestly, this is one thing that will actually make me regurgitate all over my poor cat.

Saki... never mind, two things that will make me puke all over my cat.

Krystal over Wolf... I take it back. Apparently a lot of things will make me throw up on my cat.

Monkey D. Luffy. Nice. Lets prove that anime characters can get into Smash.
(I am just joking around, Andy is cool).

Ghirahim over Tingle and Toon Zelda. I might need to know the reason. If it is solely based on preference, that is fine, but if we are talking about precedent and Smash relevance in conjunction with importance to the series.... he just pales in comparison.

Anyways, thanks for this fun roster. I get tired of all of the emulated rosters.
- Ridley
- Little Mac
- Palutena
- K. Rool/Dixie
- Shulk/Isaac
- Takamaru
- Chrom/Roy
Chrom seems likely to replace Ike, as he did to Roy. But, I think we might get a third rep for Fire Emblem. Awakening is an extremely popular game, and Chrom is an extremely popular character. I agree that Paper Mario would probably be his own series, but I couldn't fit him in the initial roster, so I squished him into the Mario characters section. I only have Kirby : Mass attack, so I wouldn't really know. I just thought Fluff would be really unique, and I'd rather him than Yarn Kirby. I don't know who Dyna Blade or Galacta Knight are, but they looked cool. Mike has barely any chance, but if we get characters from Japan-only games (Marth, Roy, Lucas), why doesn't Japan get Europe/America only characters? Oh, yeah, I forgot (sarcasm) . Nintendo is based in Japan, so it's Biased. :mad: ......did you see Palutena? I was choosing between Magnus, Medusa and Hades, but I chose Magnus because he seems to be very popular and because just look at that sword ;) I removed snake because he doesn't fit at all. Here, it the Smash Bros. Universe, you have cute characters like these: :popo::diddy::toonlink::pikachu2::kirby2::yoshi2::squirtle: and along comes :snake: with bombs, mines, rocket launchers, guns, grenades, grenade launchers, and the ability to strangle people......... one of Sakurai's rules is that the character has to fit. This one doesn't (In my opinion). Bobmerman, however, is happy, fun, cartoony, and even his bombs, are cartoonish and fun. I think he fits easily. For Saki, I chose him because he seems popular. I actually have not played any Sin & Punishment games. For the Krystal thing, Wolf was a clone of Fox and Falco, and Krystal has the staff and dinosars. She could be unique. Also, SSB needs more females. And I think I was a little biased by choosing Ghirahim, because Skyward Sword is one of the only two Zelda games I have (The other is OOT3D) Thanks for the feedback

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What's going on guys? Any major topics? Last I checked in we were talking about Mach Rider.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People still think Krystal's staff is gonna be a thing? As an Assist Trophy sure, but as a playable character that wouldn't make any sense.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Chrom seems likely to replace Ike, as he did to Roy. But, I think we might get a third rep for Fire Emblem. I removed snake because he doesn't fit at all. Here, it the Smash Bros. Universe, you have cute characters like these: :popo::diddy::toonlink::pikachu2::kirby2::yoshi2::squirtle: and along comes :snake: with bombs, mines, rocket launchers, guns, grenades, grenade launchers, and the ability to strangle people......... one of Sakurai's rules is that the character has to fit.
Oh boy.

So Sakurai broke his own rule? I seem to recall Snake being in Brawl.

And @Hotfeet444

Are you friends with the mods or something? I had an avi that was way less revealing than yours and I got a warning for it. :urg:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy.

So Sakurai broke his own rule? I seem to recall Snake being in Brawl.

And @Hotfeet444

Are you friends with the mods or something? I had an avi that was way less revealing than yours and I got a warning for it. :urg:
I remember Sakurai stating that he's stepping up the newcomer-process or something. Anyway, Snake got in because of a request by Konami, but now Metal Gear is drifting away from Nintendo and to Sony. It's unlikely that he'll be in the next Smash.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I remember Sakurai stating that he's stepping up the newcomer-process or something. Anyway, Snake got in because of a request by Konami, but now Metal Gear is drifting away from Nintendo and to Sony. It's unlikely that he'll be in the next Smash.
Kojima (not Konami) asked Sakurai to add Snake, since they are good friends, Sakurai went through the trouble of doing it. I don't see a friend taking his friend's character out, particularly after he already went through the trouble of adding him in the first place. Also, Snake is in the exact same situation he was in pre-Brawl.

And in regards to the first thing, Ike didn't replace Roy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai said he added Snake because Kojima requested it

Conclusion: Literally the ONLY reason why he added Snake.

andimidna

Smash Master
"Counter Arguments Towards Vaati
Why should Vaati be in before the likes of Ghirahim or Zant?
Vaati should be in before them as he has not been a one-time only villian, like the above have been. Vaati has appeared in 3 games being the major villian in Minish Cap and Four Swords and 2nd only to Ganon in Four Swords Adventures. He also still has a good amount of popularity left in him, being the 2nd most wanted Zelda character.
"

Well, he's on equal grounds with Ghirahim and Zant if we're talking about Zelda games made by Nintendo.:joyful:
No, I would not consider him the 2nd most wanted Zelda character. That simply isn't true. I even mentioned a recent poll where he got 13th or something. But I know Ghirahim and Toon Zelda are more requested. I've seen more requests for Midna, Young/ALBW Link, and Tingle over him as well.

"Vaati hasn't appeared in a long time, he shouldn't be in the next Smash!
Neither has K.Rool or Marth in Melee. Also so you know, Marth isn't considered the mascot of FE in Japan either. Megaman also hasn't appeared in a long time yet, he has made it into SSB4, so being recent doesn't mean much. Even if you argue against them, Vaati has been in Minish Caps anniversary edition and Four Swords 3DS ambassador."

K Rool... so what? I disagree with K Rool's inclusion as well. Weak. Marth in Melee, not the face of FE... hm.... how? You're going to need to explain this. And understand the difference between choosing a character to represent a whole new series/ a third party series VS the continuation of a series that already has 4 representatives. Let's take a look at the actual newcomers in this Smash Bros to see if recency doesn't mean much. Hm... HALF of the characters announced so far have debuted in 2007 and had a game in 2013. Actually, 3 of them had a game in 2013, yet you just talk about Megaman, an iconic 3rd party character. Also made by Capcom ;)

"He's most likely won't ever be seen again!
Vaati actually has a large chance of reappearing again thanks to his large timeline influence, and being known by Ganondorf. Also, every time the 4-Sword is pulled out, this releases Vaati, so he could very well appear again.
In the official time-line there is a big gap between 4-swords and 4-swords adventures which means he could reappear in that timeline again. He also could appear in the other 2 timelines, as he was not defeated in those timelines yet, which leads me to believe that Vaati could be in Zelda U, which may be multiplayer, and Vaati fits a very good role for that game, especially if they use 4 Link's again. He could also be in Hyrule Warriors as his artstyle seems like it would fit pretty well in the game and he could be used as a boss in it too, probably even the final boss if Ganondorf doesn't appear in it.
"

I'm not sure if I stated why I didn't think he'd ever appear again. Well I doubt it, when Nintendo made a game with this character, it sold the worst in the series. Aonuma doesn't usually return villains. Like, ever. I find it much more plausible Midna will return in Zelda U. There are actually rumors of Zelda U being a sequel to Twilight Princess, with some pretty good chances. And I don't see a Twilight Princess sequel happening without the Twilight Princess. Anyways, I think it would be cool to see Vaati and Twinrova return as villain in Zelda U, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. There are rumors and reasons backing up Midna's return. Whereas you just made up a cute little scenario. Aside from the rumors you may or may not have seen, TP Link and TP Armogohma are in the Zelda U tech demo, and TP Link and TP Zelda are in SSB Wii U/3ds. Plus, (might have been Aonuma, not sure) even said that if enough voices call out for the return of Midna, how could they not return her? Her return would actually be special, and I'm hoping to see Midna's true form weild the Twilight Sword in Hyrule Warriors. The timeline doesn't help or hurt Vaati. And I doubt Zelda U will take place in the Fallen Hero timeline or the Adult Timeline. They've been getting a bunch of games recently, it's time for the Child Timeline. And no, it won't be a sequel to FSA or something like that. The only game less likely to get a sequel than FSA is Link's Awakening. Hyrule Warriors artstyle isn't all pixel-y, I don't see how this can remind you of any of Vaati's appearances. Sure, he COULD be added in HWs, but there is no reason to think one way or the other until we get more info.

"He has never fought in his normal form!
We may have never seen Vaati fight in his normal form, but he shows that he can when he teleports and pushes opponents away with his magic. Most of his moves in his other forms can also be easily incorporated into his human form and it wouldn't look awkward, especially most of his moves from the Vaati reborn form, which looks almost just like his normal form, only taller and more features on him."
Yea, this isn't a point against him. I don't see why this matters. Somewhat agreement here.

"Impa and Tingle would be better character than Vaati!
These 2 characters are probably the biggest threat to Vaati, however Impa hasn't appeared as an actual person who could fight very often and wasn't that important in very many either besides from her usual starting you on your quest. The only games where she could actually pull some important potential is in OoT, which Sheik was actually a bigger character in, and Skyward Sword which is probably the only version of Impa that is actually important to the story as a whole and could actually fight, at least in her younger form.
Now compare this with Vaati. In all of the games Vaati has been in, he was very important. He was either the main villian or the secondary villian only to Ganon himself. Vaati's importance was also in 3 games, unlike Impa who was only majorly important in one and was overshadowed by Sheik in the other, while not having very important roles in the other few Zelda games she's been in. Impa would also probably fight alot like Sheik but Vaati is almost impossible to make a clone."

Haha, no. Impa is not a threat to Vaati at all. I agree with your Impa points. Except for Impa was overshadowed by Sheik, she's not that important in OoT because she's part of a group, the sages, and that's her only importance. OoT Impa can't get in w/o everybody else getting in. It'd be like adding just one Koopaling. I agree Vaati wouldn't be a clone.
"Tingle doesn't have too much importance to the Legend of Zelda and about half of his appearances are as cameos. In the games he is important in he either only sells you maps or fuse kinstones. Tingle makes most of his importance in his spin-off games and if we were to count those, than Tingle would be counted as a spin-off character than an actual Zelda character."

Thank you. This basically restates all of my points against Tingle in a few short sentences. People just look up Tingle and see his been in so many games, and then they think he's important. But like Impa, he's only really important in one game and is somewhat important in another. In the rest, they are like any other NPC. I'd definitely prefer Vaati be added over Tingle.

"Nintendo doesn't seem to like him, as his games were also co-created with Capcom.
If Nintendo didn't like Vaati, wouldn't it seem weird that they used Minish Cap as a 3DS ambassador and gave 4-Swords an anniversary edition? Also, Four Swords Adventures wasn't made by Capcom, yet Vaati was in it.
"

Them making the anniversary edition has no correlation to Vaati. Absolutely none. It's the game, the game itself. Also, your title is very misleading.
FSA: Nintendo only
FS: Nintendo and Capcom. The only one co-created.
MC: Capcom only. Nintendo published it but was not a part of the development or choices made, and it is Vaati's biggest appearance.

"Vaati's games aren't well liked and weren't very advertized!
Vaati's games are actually well liked by the public, being very highly acclaimed. Four Swords Adventures was ranked the 48th best game ever made on a Nintendo system by Nintendo power and received an 86 out of 100 from Metacritic. It was also the 3rd best selling game of June 2004 in North America, with 155,000 units and has since sold 250,000 copies and sold 127,000 units in Japan. Minish Cap was also very highly acclaimed. It was named the 20th best GBA game in an IGN feature, and was selected as the 2005 GBA game of the year by Gamespot."

Basically every Zelda game has a better record. There is no major failure of a Zelda game besides the CD-i ones. However, these 3 have achieved the LEAST. Alongside Zelda II and Spirit Tracks. You already saw the data I posted earlier... probably.

You skipped over the real reason Vaati won't be added. He made no appearance in Brawl. Out of the SEVEN HUNDRED stickers that got made, making one for Vaati was overlooked or decided against for some reason.
Now that the character has lost
1) Popularity
2) Relevance
All he has left is old importance. It's kind of like King K Rool, except K Rool is way more asked to return, is way more popular, and is the main villain of his series. Yet I still wouldn't call K Rool likely at all.

There are 700 characters (minus a few, some are of the same character, and some might not be of characters) that took priority over Vaati back when he made sense. I would have made Vaati and Midna playable in Brawl if it was up to me, but no, we got Toon Link instead.
And don't forget the 544 trophies of characters that are not Vaati too. And I'm curious, of the 258 songs in Brawl, were any from these 3 games?

3 new games > 1 anniversary edition.
He was more justifiable then and got nothing.
1 anniversary edition< 1 new home console game
1 anniversary edition< or = 1 full remake, and the other full remake.
1 anniversary edition< 1 new handheld game, and the other new handheld game.

Priority was never in his favor, but it's far from it in 2014.
The rest simply doesn't matter because of this. You can title him "2nd most important villain in the series". Sure. But it won't change that almost everybody got prioritized over Vaati in Brawl in many ways. And he hasn't regained what he had then, just one little anniversary edition that I somehow never heard of until recently, maybe I couldn't hear it over the OoT3d and SS hype? And what is a "3ds ambassador", you keep on saying it, but... what does that even mean and why should anybody care? If you can show me whatever it is sold well, then that's a point, but if it's insignificant, it's insignificant.

Also, are you speculating Vaati, or just hoping. I'm telling you why it's poor speculation, but, by all means, keep hoping all the way to release!

Your dreams:smash:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Kojima (not Konami) asked Sakurai to add Snake, since they are good friends, Sakurai went through the trouble of doing it. I don't see a good friend taking his friend's character out, particularly after he already went through the trouble of adding him in the first place. Also, Snake is in the exact same situation he was in pre-Brawl.

Kojima, who worked for konami at the time. I'm not saying the whole of Konami asked, but I'm saying that someone from Konami asked. Also, in Melee, 2 Fire Emblem characters, Marth and Roy. In Brawl, 2 Fire Emblem characters, Marth and Ike. REPLACED

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't see why Krystal using her staff if she was playable wouldn't make anymore sense than if was an Assist. That has no real logic to it. That'd be like saying Charizard shouldn't use Flamethrower as a playable character, but it's ok for him to do it as a Pokeball summon.

If she was ever playable, she would likely use the weapon(s) she known for using. Which would be the staff. Also maybe that Gatling Gun from Star Fox Assault. She used it early on in Starfox Adventures, then Fox borrowed her weapon for the majority of the game. She could easily use Fox's extra skills with the staff along with her own to comprise most of her moveset. It would still make more sense than Zelda randomly using different versions of Link's Ocarina of Time Magic. Since she did not use those specific attacks herself in any game.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Here's a better one. Explain to me why Krystal using her staff in Smash makes sense.
Now this one just makes me laugh.

Why wouldn't it make sense? she's a native of Cerinia, and she uses her staff and has powers of telepathy. Why do you think she'll be another clone? Fox and Falco make sense because they were brought up under the same training, and wolf is a renegade pilot, so similarities would make sense. Krystal did not have the training that Fox and Falco had so it would make sense that she'd use a staff, not a blaster or G-diffuser reflector. Command is non-canon in case you bring that up.

I know you want to do a back and forth argument cause your bored, but i'm not gonna give it you ya.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Kojima (not Konami) asked Sakurai to add Snake, since they are good friends, Sakurai went through the trouble of doing it. I don't see a friend taking his friend's character out, particularly after he already went through the trouble of adding him in the first place. Also, Snake is in the exact same situation he was in pre-Brawl.

Roy was only in for promotional reasons, as I think his game wasn't out until after SSBM came out. The 6 characters that have any shot I think personally to have a slot in the new one are: Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Micaiah, and Sothe

On a assist note, I think they should make Henry an assist and remove manaphy, allow Henry to swap characters bodies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see why Krystal using her staff if she was playable wouldn't make anymore sense than if was an Assist. That has no real logic to it. That'd be like saying Charizard shouldn't use Flamethrower as a playable character, but it's ok for him to do it as a Pokeball summon.

If she was ever playable, she would likely use the weapon(s) she known for using. Which would be the staff. Also maybe that Gatling Gun from Star Fox Assault. She used it early on in Starfox Adventures, then Fox borrowed her weapon for the majority of the game. She could easily use Fox's extra skills with the staff along with her own to comprise most of her moveset. It would still make more sense than Zelda randomly using different versions of Link's Ocarina of Time Magic. Since she did not use those specific attacks herself in any game.
Yes, I don't think Sakurai would disregard the relevant source material that is pertinent to reason she is even requested/wanted in general.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Smash Bros. Universe, you have cute characters like these: :popo::diddy::toonlink::pikachu2::kirby2::yoshi2::squirtle: and along comes :snake: with bombs, mines, rocket launchers, guns, grenades, grenade launchers, and the ability to strangle people......... one of Sakurai's rules is that the character has to fit. This one doesn't (In my opinion). Bobmerman, however, is happy, fun, cartoony, and even his bombs, are cartoonish and fun.
Oh look, its this again.

Seriously snake fit surprisingly well with the other characters, and if anything his differences make him fit even more since this is a crossover and these characters come from series of all shapes and sizes. His codecs added some much needed contrasting humor, and he brings far more with him then most third party characters could in just assets alone.

There is no way in hell konami would put forth bomberman (who is neglected at this point) in before snake, who would be returning as he rightly should being konami's biggest character.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
There's more to it than just being friends with Sakurai that brought Snake into Smash Bros. Allow me to give it to you straight without pulling a Noah and being totally sarcastic/demeaning, and the fact is that Sakurai saw something in Snake, something that would work with the Smash Bros series. I'm sure that if he thought Snake wasn't a good choice, he would have declined the offer for Snake's inclusion. Sure, Kojima is his friend, and from what I've heard a very good friend, but I'm sure it was more than just the friendship, although that is what sparked the request. Sure, it was a character from a more Sony-based series, and it always has been, but even though that's the case doesn't mean Snake hasn't made some appearances on Nintendo consoles. His major appearances on Nintendo consoles may have been remakes, but it's just as much the case now as it was at the time of Brawl's release, and that still makes Snake a character that has appeared on Nintendo consoles, which is what Sakurai was looking for. Is it too much to believe that Sakurai chose Snake for more reasons than being "Just a character from my friend's request"?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a better one. Explain to me why Krystal using her staff in Smash makes sense.
Huh? Because Krystal used it first? I thought you played as Krystal briefly at the beginning of the game before she got crystallized... I mean, it is the same reasoning why Rosalina is in SSB4 with a moveset based off Galaxy games even though they were originally Mario's... because it makes sense for Rosalina to use Lumas, Launch Stars, and Star Spins as part of her moveset... so even if Fox was the one using the staff most of the time, it still doesn't take away the fact that Krystal had the staff first... just like Rosalina had the Lumas first.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Kojima, who worked for konami at the time. I'm not saying the whole of Konami asked, but I'm saying that someone from Konami asked. Also, in Melee, 2 Fire Emblem characters, Marth and Roy. In Brawl, 2 Fire Emblem characters, Marth and Ike. REPLACED
He still works for Konami you know. Regardless, Snake is his character, and Konami pretty much doesn't **** with him or Snake after the whole NES MGS/Snake's Revenge fiasco. Snake got in majorly because Kojima asked Sakurai to add him, Konami had no part in that other than the fact that Kojima works for them.

You need to do your research, Ike didn't replace Roy, Sonic did. Yep, Sonic. He replaced Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. Those three were planned to be in the game and still have unfinished data, we would have gotten Marth, Ike, and Roy.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
He still works for Konami you know. Regardless, Snake is his character, and Konami pretty much doesn't **** with him or Snake after the whole NES MGS/Snake's Revenge fiasco. Snake got in majorly because Kojima asked Sakurai to add him, Konami had no part in that other than the fact that Kojima works for them.

You need to do your research, Ike didn't replace Roy, Sonic did. Yep, Sonic. He replaced Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. Those three were planned to be in the game and still have unfinished data, we would have gotten Marth, Ike, and Roy.
I disagree with the argument that Roy and Dr. Mario were planned, because you could still argue that there data were only imported for data to go off of. The only one I believe for certain was planned is Mewtwo because he has a large amount of data compared to the rest.

andimidna

Smash Master
Roy was only in for promotional reasons, as I think his game wasn't out until after SSBM came out. The 6 characters that have any shot I think personally to have a slot in the new one are: Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Micaiah, and Sothe

On a assist note, I think they should make Henry an assist and remove manaphy, allow Henry to swap characters bodies.
I think Lyn would get in over Sothe, but I agree with the other 5.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@ Haydossy Haydossy

It's not a Third-Party's job to have some sort of major tie with Nintendo. As long as you are popular, unique, requested, and Sakurai can get the rights to it, that is enough for a third party.

Last time I checked Snake is all of these things. Also Sakurai already stated that he hasn't cut anybody yet and he doesn't WANT to cut anybody.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I HAVE BEEN IN MY BED WATCHING NASTOLGIA CRTIC FOR HOURS SINCE I WAS LAST ONLINE!!!!
I NEED CIVILIZATION!!!!!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Snake doesn't stand out that much when you consider a couple things.

1) He fits in well when compared to characters like Captain Falcon, Samus, Link, Zelda, Ganon, Ike and so on. Since those characters are semi-realistic, like Snake.

2) If you played any Metal Gear games, you'd know that it has it's fair share of goofy, and surreal stuff in it despite the normally serious tone.

3) It's a damn crossover, characters of varying styles come together a lot in crossovers. Look at Marvel vs Capcom. You don't hear people complain when Mega Man fights with Venom or Spider-Man with Vewitiful Joe. Or even the X-men fighting Phoenix Wright.

4) He's still a gaming icon, so it's not completely jarring to see him with other icons. Solid Snake isn't just "Bald Space Marine #298", now that would suck.

I HAVE BEEN IN MY BED WATCHING NASTOLGIA CRTIC FOR HOURS SINCE I WAS LAST ONLINE!!!!
I NEED CIVILIZATION!!!!!
Go back from whence you came. Never to be seen again by mortal eyes. Not until the next War of Kings begins.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, its this again.

Seriously snake fit surprisingly well with the other characters, and if anything his differences make him fit even more since this is a crossover and these characters come from series of all shapes and sizes. His codecs added some much needed contrasting humor, and he brings far more with him then most third party characters could in just assets alone.

There is no way in hell konami would put forth bomberman (who is neglected at this point) in before snake, who would be returning as he rightly should being konami's biggest character.
Well, it's my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own. I believed he didn't fit at all.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I disagree with the argument that Roy and Dr. Mario were planned, because you could still argue that there data were only imported for data to go off of. The only one I believe for certain was planned is Mewtwo because he has a large amount of data compared to the rest.
Then why were Pichu and Young Link nowhere to be found? Roy and Mewtwo both have unused fanfares (for when they win) as well.

Well, it's my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own. I believed he didn't fit at all.
Why exactly didn't he fit? Too serious for Smash? He breaks the fourth wall multiple times in his series and it's generally over the top in everything it does.
Metroid is more serious than MGS.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Snake doesn't stand out that much when you consider a couple things.

1) He fits in well when compared to characters like Captain Falcon, Samus, Link, Zelda, Ganon, Ike and so on. Since those characters are semi-realistic, like Snake.

2) If you played any Metal Gear games, you'd know that it has it's fair share of goofy, and surreal stuff in it despite the normally serious tone.

3) It's a damn crossover, characters of varying styles come together a lot in crossovers look at Marvel vs Capcom. You don't hear people complain when Mega Man fights with Venom or Spider-Man with Vewitiful Joe.

4) He's still a gaming icon, so it's not completely jarring to see him with other icons. Solid Snake isn't just "Bald Space Marine #298", now that would suck.

Go back from whence you came. Never to be seen again by mortal eyes. Not until the next War of Kings begins.
HIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

*crawls back into darkness lit only by the small glaring light of my iPad Mini's screen*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Then why were Pichu and Young Link nowhere to be found? Roy and Mewtwo both have unused fanfares (for when they win) as well.

Why exactly didn't he fit? Too serious for Smash? He breaks the fourth wall multiple times in his series and it's generally over the top in everything it does.
Well, after Metroid Dread Other M, I don't think anyone is taking Metroid seriously now. :troll:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman

1. Well, wikipedia told me he used to work for Konami.....one of us is wrong (probably me)
2.Just because some rumors say that's what happened doesn't mean it's true. and, even if that's the case, sonic didn't replace them. Ike replaced roy as the second fire emblem character, even if he wasn't planned to. Lucario replaced mewtwo, even if he wasn't planned to. And Dr. Mario........no-one cares about that clone as far as I've seen. All sonic did was push out those three, not replace.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Have you ever played a Metal Gear Solid game? They can be very zany and whacky, deviating from reality quite alot with all sorts of either little easter eggs, hidden messages, or sometimes just part of the main game (Naked Raiden cartwheels anyone?). This lack of reality gives Snake a sense of belonging in this series, and to be honest, Metal Gear, in my opinion, makes a better fit into this series than Castlevania, as while both are more mature overall, Metal Gear Solid is a little less serious, as it doesn't take itself seriously sometimes.

@ Haydossy Haydossy

It's not a Third-Party's job to have some sort of major tie with Nintendo.
You say this, yet every third party with a character in Smash Bros DOES have a major tie with Nintendo. Konami has a long history with Nintendo, starting many of their major franchises, especially Castlevania, on the Nintendo consoles. Capcom has had a long history with Nintendo with Mega Man's long running Nintendo history and more, SEGA has a long history with Nintendo as they were their rivals and are now their best friends, Sonic being all over Nintendo consoles. And if Pac-Man gets in, Namco-Bandai is a company that not only has a long history with Nintendo, but are very good friends with them as well.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Interesting point you have there. I'll be honest, I don't really have an idea why. I just feel like if guys like Dr. Mario were intended, that they would have put more data into them before scraping if they were really going to use them. I mean Mario and Marth are so much similar to Roy and Doc that I don't see why they would of had time constraints for them. Back in Melee Sakurai said he could make clones faster than King Dedede, I think that would have applied to Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom