• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't like it either. I like my costumes to keep my gender identity thank you very much.

In all seriousness though, I don't like the thought of alts in Smash Bros for different genders or characters.
Wario made sense since his classic look is iconic.

Similarly, "Red" is an iconic look for a Pokemon Trainers, and all subsequent Male Trainers take cues from that design.

Whereas the female Trainer is much less iconic, and their designs are way different each game. So naturally, they chose Red's look.
Well I mentioned a reasoning for why it fits for these characters to have different gender alternates in my previous post (because I completely forgot to refer to the first part of your message).
So if you've always seen a female trainer as the one exploring, why shouldn't there be an option for the trainer to be female. You hear the trainer when you switch Pokémon, during their Final Smash, at the beginning of every match, and every time you lose a stock. You're always able to see the trainer and the trainer is always with it's Pokémon at the end of every match. It's not like that let you forget the trainer is there in the background either, several stages have platforms specifically made for the trainer so you can see them in the background. You know, like in the Pokémon games and anime.
It's no surprise that the trainer their self has little interaction with the battle other than switching and commanding Pokémon, but that's the Trainer acting they way he or she does in the game. So a female trainer alternate would make perfect sense still, if you're accustomed to seeing Pokémon being guided by a female (Like how you may be accustomed to having a Male or Female Trainer in Wii Fit).
As for iconic appearance, I suppose I can agree with you when it comes to the Pokémon Trainers. Since Red was the only choice in the original games, Female characters tend to be more experimental in design. I do, however, still stand by that a female trainer alternate is likely with the Wii Fit Trainers being interchangeable. Same would go to Villager, since the entire game could be seen differently by choosing the gender of your main character, and maybe Robin if he / she got into Smash (however a hooded Robin with a voice that could be either Male or Female may work just as well).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
:facepalm:

I don't think many people understand why costumes are included in any given game.
You're missing my point. There are not costumes in Smash Bros, Wario is an exception.

Sakurai chose the most iconic look for the Trainer. Alternate costumes would be an afterthought. Why make a female version a priority under these circumstances, especially considering the character in question is rarely seen?

andimidna

Smash Master
Oh look!
We are talking about the Pale Tuna leak!

I may be wrong, but didn't the leaker state that Pale Tuna is an assist?
She is standing off to the back, and it doesn't really look like she is on the same Y Axis as Mario where she is standing, and it looks like she is standing off to the side where an assist could stand.

Also, quick question, I had an idea today and before I do it, I wanna ask this.
How many people here would sign a petition to Nintendo saying to bring old cancelled games to Virtual Console?
Games like Earthbound 64, aura Zelda, Starfox 2, Kirby Tilt n' Tumble 2, and other games like that.
Assists don't have taunts and idle animations. Stop trying so hard. PS, it's Ura Zelda.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Really, whoever is the trainer is probably not gonna alter gameplay, given how he just stands there and gives commands.

The Pokemon Trainer itself is the less important character of the group, as the Pokemons are the ones that fight, and henceforth, the ones you control in-game. So who gives a damn if they change the dude's design or swap it for a girl, or give it multiple alts. That's not gonna mean jack and will only serve as an aesthetic change. IN THE BACKGROUND.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
honestly I was pissed that nowhere in brawl was he referred to as Red. just bugged the hell outta me.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I love Pikmin and Alph is pretty cool as a character.

I don't want to see his face in Smash Bros.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts on Alph joining the brawl?
I don't see it, sorry. Pikmin's protagonists are very similar, to the point where keeping track of who was who on the 3DS might be too difficult to allow this to work. I think your roster could use another pokerep, but other than that it's fine. (I also think it's too big, but I also tend to make my rosters VERY conservatively. )

On the whole, looks pretty decent. I'd be happy with it.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

I do like Alph, but I hate how people peg every single captain/leader as an Olimar clone. The other characters have other things that could make a unique moveset. For example, Alph could use Rock and Winged Pikmin, but not lead them like Olimar does. Since he's an engineer, he can use technology-based attacks. Brittany is a botanist, so plant(and fruit) attacks. Louie can use various creatures from PNF-404. Heck, even the President could use treasures and Poko attacks. The only character I can't think of something for is Charlie, since he's basically just a captain.

/end rant

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I do like Alph, but I hate how people peg every single captain/leader as an Olimar clone. The other characters have other things that could make a unique moveset. For example, Alph could use Rock and Winged Pikmin, but not lead them like Olimar does. Since he's an engineer, he can use technology-based attacks. Brittany is a botanist, so plant(and fruit) attacks. Louie can use various creatures from PNF-404. Heck, even the President could use treasures and Poko attacks. The only character I can't think of something for is Charlie, since he's basically just a captain.

/end rant
I wasn't claiming that he would act the same, I was simply pointing out that he would, visually, look very similarly to Olimar. Unless they had some sort of very clever way to allow one to be permanently distinguishable as one or the other, I could see people getting confused in the chaos of a fight as to who was who. It's not too hard to come up with unique movesets for characters that initially seem similar to other characters, after all.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I wasn't claiming that he would act the same, I was simply pointing out that he would, visually, look very similarly to Olimar. Unless they had some sort of very clever way to allow one to be permanently distinguishable as one or the other, I could see people getting confused in the chaos of a fight as to who was who. It's not too hard to come up with unique movesets for characters that initially seem similar to other characters, after all.
I wasn't referring to you, but it's brought up every time a captain character is mentioned.

I don't think the similarities would be confusing, since Mario and Luigi are quite similar, yet can be distinguished. Olimar and Alph look different enough to be distinguished from each other, in my opinion(Suit and light color, face, etc.)

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I've never really understood why Takamaru is a popular choice for Roster predictions. Does Sakurai just like Nazo no Murasame Jo or is there something to him that people find really cool?

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't referring to you, but it's brought up every time a captain character is mentioned.

I don't think the similarities would be confusing, since Mario and Luigi are quite similar, yet can be distinguished. Olimar and Alph look different enough to be distinguished from each other, in my opinion(Suit and light color, face, etc.)
Hmm. It's a tricky argument to debate. I would argue their silhouettes are too similar, which is to say if you were to remove all colours and only have a black outline, it would be hard to tell them apart. Luigi and Mario suffer from this only slightly, as Luigi is noticeably taller and thinner. Because alternate costumes are a thing it could get very tricky to sort out what colour is what in a random battle. On a reasonably sized television screen this is a minor issue at best but I can see it becoming quite problematic on a 3DS screen. Certainly there are fixes (animations with obvious and exaggerated differences, vibrant, bright differences in colour, differences in size/shape if you picked someone like Brittany or Charlie, etc etc. I think it's a neat idea and certainly there is more that could be done with the Pikmin franchise, but given the amount of workarounds and odd decisions that would need to be made in order for it to function well, I place it as an unlikely occurrence.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've never really understood why Takamaru is a popular choice for Roster predictions. Does Sakurai just like Nazo no Murasame Jo or is there something to him that people find really cool?
I hear he's supposedly Japan's version of Pit (requested-wise).

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
My updated roster:

As for the undetermined characters:

Hope this roster is better than the last one! Oops I forgot to scrap Kamek...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My updated roster:

As for the undetermined characters:

Hope this roster is better than the last one! Oops I forgot to scrap Kamek...
LOL, with half the people on your roster, Kamek is the one you're concerned about?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well this is my new roster:

.n_n.
hey haven't seen you in a while face of evil. (chandulure ref) maybe cause your in the SECRET THING.

anyway. 8/10 I just don't like tingle sorry, or chrom. but by most roster's i've seen, its pretty much what most people would assume. sans tingle.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
hey haven't seen you in a while face of evil. (chandulure ref) maybe cause your in the SECRET THING.

anyway. 8/10 I just don't like tingle sorry, or chrom. but by most roster's i've seen, its pretty much what most people would assume. sans tingle.
Yeah for the most part I have been lurking the forums, yeah I can see Tingle and Chrom as a mayor let down but those two characters have much going for them that is a hunch that they will be playable.

Zhadgon? Using some of my character slots???

I-i'm ho-honored...
Can I ask why? I´m really curious now.

.n_n.

andimidna

Smash Master

Pic of the day. This is definitely not a friendly girls night out…

(We saw what Viridi does on this stage a while back, but never got to see her! Zelda, Rosalina, and Viridi are probably all in my top ten favorite videogame characters.... this picture makes me happy :3)

Edit: Image URL change. Do not use the daily pic link, as the image for that link changes with each update.

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
This is a pretty great roster! I disagree with King K Rool and Miis, but they do have a chance. (King K Rool because we haven't seen him in DK in a while, and miis because I want them in a separate mode with full customization, not fighting against realistic characters like Ganondorf and Snake, I think that might look a bit odd) I think that maybe you should even out Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon though. Is Pokemon really bigger than Zelda? I agree with all of those pokemon returning, and since we have Rosalina, I think you should consider a Zelda newcomer.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well, no news on the "leak" (of which I'm quite skeptic about), but at least it's Kid Icarus related. :awesome:
He probably wouldnt have addressed it anyway, each newcomer seems to get their own full CG trailer so it would be a waste to not show it a direct and just throw it up on a random day. Time will tell though

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If there is a leak, game developers tend not to acknowledge it publicly to look like professionals. You don't want your team to appear conflicted with each other in public.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think that all starters are pretty good. Bite me.

Though my faves gotta be Sceptile, Infernape and Feraligator.
This guy. This guy has excellent taste. As if that wasn't obvious from his Medli Avatar(no stache though? What's it from?)

Thoughts? Keep in mind I like Anna more than Robin and can flip flop at the drop of a hat. I just like Robin's chances more.
Impa, eh? Controversial! Rest is very standard affair with Robin, Shulk and Dixie as widely acceptable and interchangeable characters with Roy/Chrom/Lucina/Anna/Lyn, Isaac and K. Rool respectively.

A friend of mine see's him as quite likely, but very few people seem to support the idea on Smashboards. Personally I'd be fine with him as long as he offers something Olimar can't. Admittedly I'd prefer Louie and the bugs.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
If Super Smash Bros. ever get's a spinoff, Super Bash Sisters is where it's at:

Yes, I know some choices are terrible, but there are only SO many female characters to choose from.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Yes, I know some choices are terrible, but there are only SO many female characters to choose from.
I think I missed something vital here: Shy Guy's a girl?!?

Also Pokemon Trainer probably should of used one of the many female avatars for this. If there's a female Mii too it'd look better.

Overall good but disappointed by the lack of Captain Syrup. You need all the female villains you can get on here.

Tekken_Guy

Smash Apprentice

I have a few suggestions:

Replace Shy Guy with Birdo.

Use a female trainer icon.

Replace Pikachu and Lucario with Jigglypuff and Gardevoir.

Use a female Mii.

Replace Isabelle with someone more meaningful like Barbara or Alex Roivas.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

>Super Bash Sisters
>Shy Guy

I don't even.

In addition, I suggest replacing Pokémon Trainer with May.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman

More a dream roster than a realistic one, especially since I doubt anyone on that bottom has a real shot with being in nor do I think the real roster would have more than 45 slots. That said, I think this would be quite to a perfect roster imo, one can only hope. Will put a another roster up when I got the time to look up better pics and decide on some replacements.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

More a dream roster than a realistic one, especially since I doubt anyone on that bottom has a real shot with being in nor do I think the real roster would have more than 45 slots. That said, I think this would be quite to a perfect roster imo, one can only hope. Will put a another roster up when I got the time to look up better pics and decide on some replacements.
The bottom row? There's quite a few popular choices in there actually:

Little Mac is one of the wests most wanted, Isaac and Shulk both have large fanbases(although sometimes are for some reason seen as competing characters) and Pac-Man is the most likely third party character to appear(aside from Snake). Pac-Man has a lot of hatebase here, but err...ignore them. Pac-Man's still the most likely 3rd Party and the only other one considered a legendary mascot.

Both K. Rool and Dixie could happen, but many will view it as either or. Both have fanbases, both have merits, both are popular. Cranky is slowly gathering some support too due to his inclusion in Tropical Freeze.

In fact you've included the top five Smashboards choices of Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena and Little Mac so most would be happy with a roster like this.

Tingle, Roy and Jr. are popular choices, but the first two have equally big hatebases(usually in Roy's case due to support for other Fire Emblem characters) and Jr is seen as unlikely on the whole due to 6 Mario characters seemingly being overrepresentation.

Smashboards as a whole will have some problems with this roster;
- 6 Mario slots are usually frowned upon, most seeing Mario complete for Smash 4 now.
- Mentioning Krystal is seen as a sin here, some say it's because Starfox doesn't require four characters, some say it's due to her fanbase or the furry fans that she receives such hate.
- I don't see many mention Dark Samus. Smashboards is mostly all pro Ridley, so they may frown upon the inclusion of a potential rival like Dark Samus.
- Dillon, Ray, Chibi-Robo and Wonder Red are seen mostly as dark horse long shot characters; they definitely have their fanbases, but most are presuming AT at best for the first three seeing as none are any more popular than Starfy. Wonder Red is seen as an unlikely long shot due to his game flopping.
- Many consider Balloon Fighter a lost cause due to Villager taking his balloons.
- Blaziken will be frowned upon by most. Nearly everyone is behind Brawl + Mewtwo for Pokemon reps.

That said, I personally applaud the inclusion of Blaziken; he's actually my second choice for a newcomer Pokemon(Mewtwo isn't a newcomer) and Dillon is a very cool choice that many like, but see as unlikely. It contains a lot of surprise choices which I personally find a lot more interesting than 'Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena, no cuts, Takamaru' rosters that plague this thread.

Very nice for a first post and a first roster. I respect people who include dream characters outside the norm.

OH! And welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom