• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Unova is awesome but the starters suck
I hate the 4th gen starters also but they aren't as bad
I didn't even use a 6th gen starter :awesome:
I don't care much for the 4th gen starters, but it is my favorite overall.
Unova is a mixed bag in terms of the actual Pokemon, but the games are good, and BW2 alleviates this by giving you older gen Pokes including freaking Lucario right off the bat.

I thought 6th was going to have the best starters until they revealed their second forms...poor, poor, Chespin.

Of course then it was okay because this mother:

652Chesnaught.png

Seriously he looks like he was made for Fire Emblem.
So awesome. If we get a Kalos Trainer, screw Greninja. This is where it's at.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sadly,I must depar-screw the dramatic goodbye. I'm going to stuff my face with Doritos.

aaaaaa.gif

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't care much for the 4th gen starters, but it is my favorite overall.
Unova is a mixed bag in terms of the actual Pokemon, but the games are good, and BW2 alleviates this by giving you older gen Pokes including freaking Lucario right off the bat.

I thought 6th was going to have the best starters until they revealed their second forms...poor, poor, Chespin.

Of course then it was okay because this mother:

View attachment 7030
Seriously he looks like he was made for Fire Emblem.
So awesome. If we get a Kalos Trainer, screw Greninja. This is where it's at.
I love Chesnaught, but sadly overall it's the worst competitive 6th Gen starter...too many Talonflames. :p

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Pokemon Trainer's name, it's kinda weird they didn't call him Red in Brawl. I know he's re-nameable in the games but so are Link, T. Link, and Ness and I don't see them being called "Hero of Time", "Hero of Wind", or "Psychic Boy".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Pokemon Trainer's name, it's kinda weird they didn't call him Red in Brawl. I know he's re-nameable in the games but so are Link, T. Link, and Ness and I don't see them being called "Hero of Time", "Hero of Wind", or "Psychic Boy".
Because he isn't there to represent the player character - he's there to represent the Pokemon and the Trainer.

I'd change Squirtle and Ivysaur to Blastoise and Venusaur to better represent PT's canon pokemon, remove the stamina and elemental weakness gimmicks, and add a female alternate costume.
Why give an alternate costume to someone that stands in the background?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Makes me wonder if it might have been planned that you could switch him to the female trainer. Like Wii Fit Trainer, Pokémon Trainer is more like a title / profession, so switching the character out for another one (or gender swapping in Wii Fit Trainer's and Villager's case) would be a lot easier to do and would still allow you to call the character the same name.

That's just my theory though.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I'm willing to bet charizard and squirtle were chosen because of them being on ash's team. Then sakurai thought **** it might as well make ivysaur the 3rd one for
This game. Now we have base stage and 1st and 2nd stages. But the other starters what makes us do sure it'll be the same?

(Blaziken and Greninja for Smash
No I happen to hate blaziken so it isnt biased fanboyism)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So? Why let people pick their gender in Pokémon in the first place? It's not like they're on screen during the action anyways, right?

Just another form of customization, maybe girls would prefer playing as girls, who knows??

josh bones

Smash Lord
The same reason we give him alternate colors?

I'm willing to bet charizard and squirtle were chosen because of them being on ash's team. Then sakurai thought **** it might as well make ivysaur the 3rd one for
This game. Now we have base stage and 1st and 2nd stages. But the other starters what makes us do sure it'll be the same?

(Blaziken and Greninja for Smash
No I happen to hate blaziken so it isnt biased fanboyism)
Charizard and squirtle are popular, that's why they were chosen. Ivysaur just made sense so all stages were equal.

Last edited by a moderator:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Because he isn't there to represent the player character - he's there to represent the Pokemon and the Trainer.
Not to sound rude, but you could say the same thing about the characters I gave as an example:
"Link" isn't there to represent the player character - he's there to represent the Zelda series and the Hero of Time.
Just for fun and to add a bit of variety to the character. It's not a necessity though.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
No, because of the games, do you know how much the anime is hated?
Hated or not, squirtle and charizard are well known to this day because of the anime and nothing else. Ask someone who is a nongamer about volcarona and squirtle and see which they know. Bet its squitrle and bet it was cause of ash

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Not to sound rude, but you could say the same thing about the characters I gave as an example:
"Link" isn't there to represent the player character - he's there to represent the Zelda series and the Hero of Time.

Just for fun and to add a bit of variety to the character. It's not a necessity though.
I think he meant that Pokémon Trainer represents the trainer, and the Trainers Pokemon. Not Pokemon themselves.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hated or not, squirtle and charizard are well known to this day because of the anime and nothing else. Ask someone who is a nongamer about volcarona and squirtle and see which they know. Bet its squitrle and bet it was cause of ash
um, shouldn't a starter be well known anyways? sorry to burst your bubble.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So? Why let people pick their gender in Pokémon in the first place? It's not like they're on screen during the action anyways, right?

Just another form of customization, maybe girls would prefer playing as girls, who knows??
But the Pokemon games put a major emphasis on the player character too. You spend a lot more time exploring as your player in Pokemon than you do battling.

You never control the Trainer in Brawl. In some stages he is practically invisible. Giving him a Leaf costume would be a waste of effort unless his actual Pokemon got costumes too.

I, for one, don't expect any alternate costumes in this game.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Yes obviously but not on the same level as charizard and squirtle and you cannot even deny it.

ask About delphox or squirtle then

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I think he meant that Pokémon Trainer represents the trainer, and the Trainers Pokemon. Not Pokemon themselves.
Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that the Pokemon Trainer represents the trainer that has the canon name Red. Just like the TP Link represents the hero that has the canon name Link.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Well, if you want to put Red in your roster you can use this roster icon I made.
Nah, I don't really mind him being called Pokemon Trainer. That name makes more sense if we get alternate costumes. I was just pointing out that I found his naming odd in Brawl initially.
Those are some good icons you made though, nice work!

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Just throwing this in here that the announcer only says Pokemon Trainer on the CSS, every other time it's the Pokemon's names.

josh bones

Smash Lord
squirtle hasn't been on anime since 2006. IGN sayd charizard was most popular pokemon, and I'm pretty sure they don't watch the anime.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
- Earthbound 64 will never officially see the light of day because it would be way too unfinished to be playable (It was scrapped due to the dev team having little experience with 3D modeling).
- Starfox 2 was finished and is easily obtainable online; Nintendo has stated they won't release it officially unfortunately. Would be cool though.
- Ura Zelda became Majora's Mask. The team responsible for the expansion was disgruntled with basically redoing the same game again and were given the chance to create something new. The project became known as Zelda Gaiden and was released as Majora's Mask. What was left of the Ura project were the remixed dungeons which were salvaged and released officially as Master Quest. Zelda fanatics online that argue otherwise overblow the concepts and ideas Nintendo shared about Ura out of proportion when that's literally all they were. That and point to scrapped elements from Ocarina of Time that had nothing to do with the expansion.
-That would be the point of the petition. To finish the games. Itoi has the whole story in his mind, and he said he remembered the altered ending (though he didn't say what it was about) in an interview a few years back.
-They could release this if a bunch of people sign the petition.
-I have read in numerous places that Ura Zelda was more than a "hard mode." It would have altered plot points and other changes. I can only assume that in these new plot points, there would be a Light Temple, the Pegasus fountain, the Zora Domain hole, and gaining the sword beam and Triforce (whether that be at the Pegasus Fountain I don't know).

You know what would be even better than unreleased games in the virtual console?
Beta games on the Virtual Console.
I have no clue which would be likelier (even though both are not likely at all, I am thinking of comparison). I am assuming unreleased games would be likelier.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So are and Pit's and Mario's. Pit and Mario disconfirmed.
Who's talking about disconfirmation?

squirtle hasn't been on anime since 2006. IGN sayd charizard was most popular pokemon, and I'm pretty sure they don't watch the anime.
You don't have to be recurring in the anime or even in the anime at all to be popular.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
-That would be the point of the petition. To finish the games. Itoi has the whole story in his mind, and he said he remembered the altered ending (though he didn't say what it was about) in an interview a few years back.
-They could release this if a bunch of people sign the petition.
-I have read in numerous places that Ura Zelda was more than a "hard mode." It would have altered plot points and other changes. I can only assume that in these new plot points, there would be a Light Temple, the Pegasus fountain, the Zora Domain hole, and gaining the sword beam and Triforce (whether that be at the Pegasus Fountain I don't know).
- Earthbound 64 was went back to and finished in the form of Mother 3 (GBA). There are remnants of the altered ending (Luca's Nightmare/Porky's death) within the rom, Itoi changed it because he felt it was too dark. I'll admit it's possible we might see a remake in the future, but I doubt it'll be a 3D remake or alter any of the plot/ending.
- There's already been several attempts at petitions for Starfox 2, just google it. They've all failed unfortunately.
- Yes, Ura Zelda was indeed planned to be more than a hard mode. According to interviews It was planned to have a "parallel world" you entered after beating the game featuring the remixed dungeons from Master Quest, a remixed overworld, new items, dungeons, enemies, etc. It's unknown how far along it got but judging from various interviews it's obvious that at some point the dev team took the new content they were creating for the expansion and created Majora's Mask instead. Everything you pointed out is just fan speculation (Light Temple, obtaining the Triforce) or prototype leftovers (the "pegasus fountain" was an early design for the fairy fountains).

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh. I'd love to see these things happen and have Nintendo go back and finish their old projects, but it'll never happen.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But the Pokemon games put a major emphasis on the player character too. You spend a lot more time exploring as your player in Pokemon than you do battling.

You never control the Trainer in Brawl. In some stages he is practically invisible. Giving him a Leaf costume would be a waste of effort unless his actual Pokemon got costumes too.
So if you've always seen a female trainer as the one exploring, why shouldn't there be an option for the trainer to be female. You hear the trainer when you switch Pokémon, during their Final Smash, at the beginning of every match, and every time you lose a stock. You're always able to see the trainer and the trainer is always with it's Pokémon at the end of every match. It's not like that let you forget the trainer is there in the background either, several stages have platforms specifically made for the trainer so you can see them in the background. You know, like in the Pokémon games and anime.
It's no surprise that the trainer their self has little interaction with the battle other than switching and commanding Pokémon, but that's the Trainer acting they way he or she does in the game. So a female trainer alternate would make perfect sense still, if you're accustomed to seeing Pokémon being guided by a female (Like how you may be accustomed to having a Male or Female Trainer in Wii Fit).

I, for one, don't expect any alternate costumes in this game.
Out of curiosity then, what is the Male Wii Fit Trainer to you?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Out of curiosity then, what is the Male Wii Fit Trainer to you?
I don't like it either. I like my costumes to keep my gender identity thank you very much.

In all seriousness though, I don't like the thought of alts in Smash Bros for different genders or characters.
Wario made sense since his classic look is iconic.

Similarly, "Red" is an iconic look for a Pokemon Trainers, and all subsequent Male Trainers take cues from that design.

Whereas the female Trainer is much less iconic, and their designs are way different each game. So naturally, they chose Red's look.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't like it either. I like my costumes to keep my gender identity thank you very much.

In all seriousness though, I don't like the thought of alts in Smash Bros for different genders or characters.
Wario made sense since his classic look is iconic.

Similarly, "Red" is an iconic look for a Pokemon Trainers, and all subsequent Male Trainers take cues from that design.

Whereas the female Trainer is much less iconic, and their designs are way different each game. So naturally, they chose Red's look.
:facepalm:

I don't think many people understand why costumes are included in any given game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom