• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Ganon's goal is to rule over Hyrule not destroy it. He always loses in the end because of the Great Cataclysm, a hero always rises. Link acts as a Deus Ex Machina, a plot device to resolve an otherwise impossible story sequence such as the omnipotent Ganon, this way the story can end happily
Yeaah, I was thinking why doesn't he jelly-fy Link? Or one of the sages? Or, hell, any one of Link's more useful items. Even if the light arrows have plot immunity, how can you justify the string on his bow being immune to Ganon's mysterious jelly blaster? A string which is fairly critical to beat him in many fights.

Hell, he can fly or teleport right? Why doesn't he just leave if he starts to lose? He was a pretty smart dude as a human. I think you are overestimating his powers.

Also, post above me.

I hope to god Kirby can eat a luma. I hope he can do that and spit him out as a star :D

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In that case, let me start on something new for you to talk about.
It'd be easier if that pic had contained something that actually was new. :smirk:

Maybe Sakurai originally was planning a little more for the anniversary but for some reason had to change plans at the last minute, hence this redundancy. Probably not, but who knows.

if Kirby eats Luma does he get Rosilina's powers?
if Kirby eats Luma does she go away or does she just pop out of Kirby?
can Kirby even eat Luma?
My guess would be Lumas can't be eaten, similar to how they don't seem to be able to grabbed.
Though Kirby could get like a weird fake Luma or something in the same vein as when he eats Olimar.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In that case, let me start on something new for you to talk about.
The main key of a puppeteer character is to move their pawn in someway for distance purposes like launching or controlling them manually. This method overall reminds me of how things went for Kankuro in the Clash of Ninja games. Lunge the pawn as an attack and either follow up with a combo or move yourself closer to the target yourself. Unlike Crow, Luma does have a few weaknesses like short range and his low vitality (tendency to be killed off easily). He does however, has his own projectile to use (which was showcased in the Villager bit from the trailer). Not to mention summoning different variations of the same pawn (Luma) for some variety.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh look!
I past my 2,000 post!

Woop dee friggin doo.
I missed in.

EDIT: In honor of my 2,000 posts, I will make a new sig, which I was already doing so I guess it is just a really good coincidence :p.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ridley is also "killed" by Samus in the first Metroid, he straight-up disintegrates. Then again in the first Prime, where he falls into the Impact Crater while being shot by like six lasers, then explodes. He is "killed for good" again in Prime 3, where Samus watches him melt into ooze right in front of him. Then again in Super Metroid, where he, again, falls apart like he was made of paper mache.

It didn't make sense. Samus has "permanently killed" Ridley in every game he's appeared in. Never once has he just flown off. She should be expecting him to come back at this point, and it makes no sense that this random time of him returning made her lose her ****. It wasn't good writing, it wasn't an emotional moment, it was just Sakamoto trying to elicit an emotional reaction from an audience by giving Samus some out of character reaction to her main nemesis, without explaining what made this particular instance any different from the last six times he'd come back from the dead.

Say Mario, out of nowhere, freaks out when Bowser kidnaps the Princess in the next Mario. He has a serious mental breakdown because of it, even though it has literally happened a million times.

Shigeru (Sakamoto) then says, "This is the Mario we wanted all along! You know that happy-go-lucky, unstoppable plumber you've known and loved for so long? He's actually just a sniveling crybaby, and that's how he was supposed to be all along!". Mario, of course, still stops Bowser because that's how games work.

The same exact thing happened to Samus.
Actually, it's explained that Ridley can regenerate his body by eating the dead flesh of other creatures, which accordingly he ate the dead flesh of his space pirate associates to survive the events of Metroid 1, which is probably why he wasn't in Metroid 2 as he was still recovering. In Super Metroid, however, Ridley really is killed by Samus, not mortally wounded. This is what lead to the trauma of Metroid Other M in his return. Also, Metroid Prime is accordingly non-canon, so that really doesn't count. :p

Also, Bowser didn't kill Mario's parents and murder everyone he knew, so it's two different situations.

Reznor

work in progress
Actually, it's explained that Ridley can regenerate his body by eating the dead flesh of other creatures, which accordingly he ate the dead flesh of his space pirate associates to survive the events of Metroid 1, which is probably why he wasn't in Metroid 2 as he was still recovering. In Super Metroid, however, Ridley really is killed by Samus, not mortally wounded. This is what lead to the trauma of Metroid Other M in his return. Also, Metroid Prime is accordingly non-canon, so that really doesn't count. :p

Also, Bowser didn't kill Mario's parents and murder everyone he knew, so it's two different situations.
well we don't know if Bowser did that or not it's possible :p
even though the canon of Mario is that it's all just a play

D

Deleted member

Ridley is also "killed" by Samus in the first Metroid, he straight-up disintegrates. Then again in the first Prime, where he falls into the Impact Crater while being shot by like six lasers, then explodes. He is "killed for good" again in Prime 3, where Samus watches him melt into ooze right in front of him. Then again in Super Metroid, where he, again, falls apart like he was made of paper mache.

It didn't make sense. Samus has "permanently killed" Ridley in every game he's appeared in. Never once has he just flown off. She should be expecting him to come back at this point, and it makes no sense that this random time of him returning made her lose her ****. It wasn't good writing, it wasn't an emotional moment, it was just Sakamoto trying to elicit an emotional reaction from an audience by giving Samus some out of character reaction to her main nemesis, without explaining what made this particular instance any different from the last six times he'd come back from the dead.

Super Metroid is the only game where he actually died for real (Aside from the Other M clone). In the planetary explosion.

Those nifty little death explosions in the 2-D games? Just for show.
Ridley falling in Prime 1? No actual reason to believe the fall would kill him. The lasers didn't seem to harm him either, just push him. And I don't recall there being an explosion.
Prime 3? We don't see Ridley melt down. We just see him curl up while the camera cuts to Samus being further infected by Phazon as it's exploding from Ridley.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Why Sakurai never gave him his energy balls or fist quake from Ocarina Time in his moveset overall is beyond me. Even cloning him with Falcon because of similar body types is a very sad excuse on his part.
I think in Melee he planned to, but ran out of time and decided to make him a clone at the last second, rather than cutting him at all. By the time Brawl rolled around he decided to keep Ganondorf with his Melee set for fear of enraging the fans otherwise. I think it's deeply unfortunate, but could be easily and neatly rectified by putting in Ganon (the pig monster bro from aLttP, Zelda 1, Oracle games, etc) as a playable character. He would certainly bring something new to the roster (A magic pig heavyweight with a staff he twirls like a baton? Outstanding) and visually he could be very cool. I really think it's unfortunately unlike though.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Also, Metroid Prime is accordingly non-canon, so that really doesn't count..
Yet another wonderful reason to hate the cesspit of putrid sewage that is Other M.

I'm out. All this talk of my favorite franchise and one of my favorite characters being ruined is making me hot-headed. Later.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Again though, that's really something that the game should more clearly clarify, if you didn't read the Manga how would you know that information? Hell, it's worse for American audiences if you don't dig deep as we don't have that manga easily available. As a story, it's not up to the audience to know that background information, it's up to the story to explain itself and why it's happening and Other M does not do that. It can't even say it's relying on previous games like other franchises because those games are already light on story and that relationship is not shown.

Also, even from the standpoint of being in the game, it's completely out of nowhere as nothing becomes of it. We can't say Samus became a stronger person because she's never allowed to face him again and learn to truly deal with that fear as he's unceremoniously killed off, he doesn't truly kill Anthony so that effect doesn't last either, the scene's more there to bring up drama rather then truly explain or develop the characters involved and that's probably its biggest crime: It doesn't have a point to itself.

D

Deleted member

It's never stated that the Prime Trilogy isn't canon.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yet another wonderful reason to hate the cesspit of putrid sewage that is Other M.
Well...the least we can do is be happy to know that Retro Studios confirmed that they ARE going to go back to Metroid once Tropical Freeze releases, so we know that we'll get good games again soon. I can't wait to see what they do with the gamepad and all the other stuff. Also, a story focusing more on where the Space Pirates come from would be cool, since we really don't know where they came from or how they're possibly engineered. I'd like to know the story of Ridley and how he was engineered/raised/whatever, there's alot of questions that need to be answered there.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Again though, that's really something that the game should more clearly clarify, if you didn't read the Manga how would you know that information? Hell, it's worse for American audiences if you don't dig deep as we don't have that manga easily available.

Also, even from the standpoint of being in the game, it's completely out of nowhere as nothing becomes of it. We can't say Samus became a stronger person because she's never allowed to face him again and learn to truly deal with that fear as he's unceremoniously killed off, he doesn't truly kill Anthony so that effect doesn't last either, the scene's more there to bring up drama rather then truly explain or develop the characters involved.
Kudos for a well reasoned argument as to why that scene is a pile of horse **** outside of the obvious "Samus has fought Ridley before and didn't go into nekkid mode then so why now?" argument. Although to be fair that argument is also pretty convincing. The fact they retconned some of the most successful and well designed games in the franchise out of existence to claim that making that scene was somehow more legitimate leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yoshio Sakamoto, you truly are the George Lucas of Nintendo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm totally going to do a tier list with canonical powers later.
Sounds interesting. Ganondorf will make quite the jump.

It's better than watching that rap for 6 minutes though. :bee:
True enough. ;)

Why Sakurai never gave him his energy balls or fist quake from Ocarina Time in his moveset overall is beyond me. Even cloning him with Falcon because of similar body types is a very sad excuse on his part.
The real insult to injury is how little Sakurai has bothered to change him in terms of new moves. A character as important as Ganondorf shouldn't have to be relegated to some other characters' moveset just because he was an afterthought once, let alone a moveset which wastes quite a bit of his potential.

I'd much rather get a new Ganondorf this time around than any actual Zelda newcomer, that's for sure.

@ Alfonzo Bagpipez Alfonzo Bagpipez
Please tone down the image spam and the posts lacking any real content or contribution.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Yeaah, I was thinking why doesn't he jelly-fy Link? Or one of the sages? Or, hell, any one of Link's more useful items. Even if the light arrows have plot immunity, how can you justify the string on his bow being immune to Ganon's mysterious jelly blaster? A string which is fairly critical to beat him in many fights.

Hell, he can fly or teleport right? Why doesn't he just leave if he starts to lose? He was a pretty smart dude as a human. I think you are overestimating his powers.

Also, post above me.

I hope to god Kirby can eat a luma. I hope he can do that and spit him out as a star :D
Why doesn't Mewtwo just kill Pokemon Trainer when he confronts him in the unknown dungeon? Because video game

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Well...the least we can do is be happy to know that Retro Studios confirmed that they ARE going to go back to Metroid once Tropical Freeze releases, so we know that we'll get good games again soon. I can't wait to see what they do with the gamepad and all the other stuff. Also, a story focusing more on where the Space Pirates come from would be cool, since we really don't know where they came from or how they're possibly engineered. I'd like to know the story of Ridley and how he was engineered/raised/whatever, there's alot of questions that need to be answered there.
Nah, one metroid game is good enough. Let them do something else like Starfox, new IP, revival of something else.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't Mewtwo just kill Pokemon Trainer when he confronts him in the unknown dungeon? Because video game
Hmm, fair point. I'll concede I overestimate Mewtwo if you concede that you overestimate Ganon.

I still would argue Mewtwo could beat him; Mewtwo is much faster and has swift which always hits and damages it's target. If Mewtwo aims for the tail he can still stun lock Ganon. After this he can run away easily enough, find Link, and throw the hero at the problem. ****'ll work itself out, after the fact I think Mewtwo could take Link.

As for why Ganon doesn't throw a pokeball, I'd argue because he doesn't have one, and swift stun will keep him too busy to get one. ^_^

Nah, one metroid game is good enough. Let them do something else like Starfox, new IP, revival of something else.
Man, I know it's a pipe dream, but I hope Mach Rider gets a revival one day. I think it could have a lot of potential.

Reznor

work in progress
Hmm, fair point. I'll concede I overestimate Mewtwo if you concede that you overestimate Ganon.

I still would argue Mewtwo could beat him; Mewtwo is much faster and has swift which always hits and damages it's target. If Mewtwo aims for the tail he can still stun lock Ganon. After this he can run away easily enough, find Link, and throw the hero at the problem. ****'ll work itself out, after the fact I think Mewtwo could take Link.

As for why Ganon doesn't throw a pokeball, I'd argue because he doesn't have one, and swift stun will keep him too busy to get one. ^_^

Man, I know it's a pipe dream, but I hope Mach Rider gets a revival one day. I think it could have a lot of potential.
we jus ttalked about humans were pokemon so maybe mewtwo can catch ganon with one

Reznor

work in progress
Quack.

(Mmmmmmmmmmmkay...)

Quack Quack Quack.
*fart noise*

(Here's my top ten for most powerful Smash characters according to canon)

:pichumelee:
2.:yoshimelee:
3.:jigglypuffmelee:
4.:icsmelee:
5.:gawmelee:
6.:olimar:
7.:pt:
8.:warioc:
9.:diddy:
10.:rob:

totally wrong this is the real one

1. :bomb:
2. :denzel:
3. :bubblebobble:
4. :shyguy:
5. :005:
6. :alakadoof:
7. :017:
8. :disco:
9. :502:
10. :applejack:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman

Swift wouldn't hurt Ganon though, especially if it's the blue Ganon from A Link To The Past. Links weapons hurt Ganon because of gameplay reasons. To be honest, there are too many incarnations of Ganon to fight just one, but his most powerful form is unbeatable

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I feel like Mewtwo is portrayed as evil too much, as I mentioned before. Mewtwo isn't evil. I'm sure you've heard that quote he says. Even in the game he's not evil, he's just a psychic, not all psychics are evil. Even if he was evil, Mewtwo would probably have an impact on the story besides you just catching him. Like Yvetal killed thousands of people, Mewtwo just decided to stay in a cave and isolate himself from humans.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
totally wrong this is the real one

1. :bomb:
2. :denzel:
3. :bubblebobble:
4. :shyguy:
5. :005:
6. :alakadoof:
7. :017:
8. :disco:
9. :502:
10. :applejack:
Quack.

(C'mon dude, Bob-omb has like no attacks that have plus-frames on shield, and his dash dance and wavedash are too short. He gets gimped very easily and has like, no follow-ups on his grabs. Nyugga should be #1 in his place.)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Villager holding a bee's nest would beat Mewtwo in a real life battle. Mewtwo has a severe allergy against bugs. Of course the Villager would probably be stung to death as well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega Man uses the Metal Blade to deal out insane damage. And he can freeze time. /topic

Now can we try to think of something to talk about.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser seems more even in terms of size to DK and King DeDeDe (maybe my eyes are playing tricks).

Will he still be the heaviest out of the returningv cast and could there be a newcomer heavy enough to outweigh him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom