• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Now that I think about it: a moveset based solely on punching/boxing moves could be really unique and innovative, but on the other hand it could also be extremely bland. Seems kinda hit or miss, depending on whether or not Sakurai sees potential there. Then again, he may even think Little Mac works better as an assist trophy and leave it at that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
This is basically my line of thought, perhaps Sakurai doesn't see any potential in Little Mac past his assist trophy role, but he still wanted to give Punch-Out some sort of extra representation for the fans, hence we get a Punch-Out stage to go with our Little Mac assist. I don't doubt his possibility of being playable, but I'm not going to go around calling him a 100% locked shoe-in only to get disappointed if he doesn't make it. Neutral is about what my stance is on the matter as well.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Although I think Little Mac should be in there. Why? Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers. Punch-out does not have anything to represent it yet.
I'm so confused.

I figure Mario and Pokemon might be the only two with five reps, they both were the only ones with two reps in the first game and they are the biggest series.
I think the standards of the first game is irrelevant. Or else it's okay to have a roster of 2 Pokemon. I think Sakurai will try to get Vaati in. He did try to get 5 Zelda characters in Brawl.

Does anyone here actually think Luigi will be a starter?
Yes. And god have mercy on them.

Good point. But that stage though. Do you think that's just a brawl stage like Final Destination or Battlefield?
Yes.

Pit isn't retro and he has a spot. Why not Mac?
Are we implying Pit and Mac need to be retro in order to get in???

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm so confused.

I think the standards of the first game is irrelevant. Or else it's okay to have a roster of 2 Pokemon. I think Sakurai will try to get Vaati in. He did try to get 5 Zelda characters in Brawl.

Are we implying Pit and Mac need to be retro in order to get in???
Me too.

You misinterpreted what I meant by that example, I simply mean it wouldn't be strange for Mario and Pokemon to have more characters than the rest, simply because Mario and Pokemon are the two biggest franchises that Nintendo has, plus the fact that they have had more than everyone else before.

I really don't understand what that guy was on about either.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So he magically fits in now?
Yes, actually. SSB4 is much better in terms of bright colors, and villager fits. In brawl, things were much more gritty.
You're missing my point entirely, I'm pointing out that we've had characterless stages, and it's completely possible for Punch-Out too.
However, characters from pictochat, hanebow, and nintendogs don't seem possible in the first place. Pilotwings could be just a stage, but a newcomer could hapen, but its unlikely.

Punch out has a stage and a CLEAR mascot. Why wouldn't they use it? The fact sakuri doesn't seem to want us to know what stage it is cements this for me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I know is, if Little Mac ends up an Assist Trophy again, the butthurt will flow through Smashboards until the game comes out.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yes, actually. SSB4 is much better in terms of bright colors, and villager fits. In brawl, things were much more gritty.

Punch out has a stage and a CLEAR mascot. Why wouldn't they use it? The fact sakuri doesn't seem to want us to know what stage it is cements this for me.
I'm not trying to argue whether Villager fit in Brawl and SSB4 or not, you're turning my example of his stage around into something it's not.

Why not use him? Please refer to my reply to our dear 37th president. It's simply a fact of stage =/= character. Stages don't need characters, characters don't need stages. He could include a Nazo no Murasame Jo stage and not add Takamaru, simply because he's Sakurai and he does whatever the **** he wants. It's entirely possible that we'll have a nice Punch-Out stage with some nice Punch-Out music and our nice returning Punch-Out assist trophy, Little Mac himself.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Little Mac doesn't make it then I won't be remotely surprised in the slightest! In fact I think he has more cons than he does pros.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Shoe-in, my ***!
The only characters I even consider being even slightly close to "shoe-ins" are Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley, if only due to them being the three most requested characters behind Mega Man. Even then I have my doubts about K. Rool and particularly Ridley, I just fear that Sakurai may give them the shaft again.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Goddamit I thought I was making sense. ;_;

It seems we are arguing different focal points, me how I think little mac is a lock, you how stage =/= character.

This is confusing for both of us. Let's drop it.

EDIT: for the record, that leak is bull****.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah nobody is a lock, im a huge supporter of him but thats not a claim id make. But honestly I'd be utterly disgusted with sakurai if Mac is left out again. He is ripe with so much potential it's not even funny, I can literally imagine how satisfying his powerful punches would be while slugging into a character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ironically I've blindly never once had a roster without Little Mac. I currently don't have anyone better to put on my current roster though.

But, really, the smash icon and logos really convinces me that the stage is just inspired by Punch-Out.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Little Mac is also easier to make mechanics for, since he is a fighter after all. Maybe that's why they didn't include Villager in Brawl, because of mechanics.

And if he does make it, I'll be happy for his fans and congratulate them all. It's only this "shoe-in" business that bothers me, especially over a false leak.
It's tough to determine whether or not these leaks are true. I'm not a Little Mac "fan", if he's in I don't think I would even use him that much. I support Mewtwo the most if you were wondering. But I do think Mac will be in.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It seems we are arguing different focal points, me how I think little mac is a lock, you how stage =/= character.

This is confusing for both of us. Let's drop it.
Honestly, I just don't think he's that big (no pun intended) of a contender. Most people think he's a lock because one guy got lucky in guessing Wii Fit Trainer, most of his support otherwise is from a cult fanbase of people who liked Punch-Out. I'd say he's barely above Skull Kid in likeliness, and we saw how he worked out.

A new subject would be nice though, so how about Lip and Takamaru?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The only characters I even consider being even slightly close to "shoe-ins" are Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley, if only due to them being the three most requested characters behind Mega Man. Even then I have my doubts about K. Rool and particularly Ridley, I just fear that Sakurai may give them the shaft again.
Nah. K. Rool's spot could easily be taken by Dixie and Ridley is known for not being in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ironically, little mac is the only character I think that of. Everyone else except maybe mewtwo is up in the air.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Nah. K. Rool's spot could easily be taken by Dixie and Ridley is known for not being in.
Like I said, mostly due to them being the top requests, I mean, we pulled of Sonic and then Mega Man. I'm entirely aware that either of them could not get in, as I said, I fear it myself. I just think the outcry would be massive, people think there will be an outcry if Little Mac doesn't get in after being expected for just this one game, but just imagine all the pissed off K. Rool and Ridley fans that have been brushed to the side yet again for the third time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Lip is more likely, but Takamaru is more deserving. But, Sakurai likes Lip and Panel De Pon and Lip brings much more unique potential. And we'd be getting a puzzle character and a Super Famicom retro.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
No one else in Smash would be a full on Boxer. I'd say that's enough to pull from. There's been tons of fighting games with a bunch of crazy fighters and then a Boxer was also thrown in, and was still able to be interesting and fit with the rest of the cast. I'm mostly talking of Steve Fox from Tekken and Dudley from Street Fighter. Those two have really cool movesets that work well enough with the other members of the cast without being boring in the fact the solely use punches.

I'd mention Balrog as well to a lesser extent. Like King Hippo and many other boxer's in Punch-Out!!, he has some dirty tricks up his sleeves.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The "ripe with potential" part was pretty funny. :p
hah you laugh, but I meant what I said, just because many can't see past "he only punches" aspect doesn't mean they couldnt do far more. What if most of his moves consisted of defense? With after image dodging which could also effectively make him the most evasive character in the game. Or even a gimmick that could let him gain more power with each successful dodge ending with a powerful blow that's high risk and big reward. If done right he could play like no other, and with what I said before about the successive dodges he could end up in the right hands of a player who has him moving as fast as fox while landing hits with ike's power.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Like I said, mostly due to them being the top requests, I mean, we pulled of Sonic and then Mega Man. I'm entirely aware that either of them could not get in, as I said, I fear it myself. I just think the outcry would be massive, people think there will be an outcry if Little Mac doesn't get in after being expected for just this one game, but just imagine all the pissed off K. Rool and Ridley fans that have been brushed to the side yet again for the third time.
I would not use the "should" and "It would suck if he didn't" basis to consider someone likely. Let alone a shoe in.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I'm just curious, if they put Ridley in, how big is he going to be? Ridley is HUGE but do you think they can downsize him so he doesn't look weird?

hah you laugh, but I meant what I said, just because many can't see past "he only punches" aspect doesn't mean they couldnt do far more. What if most of his moves consisted of defense? With after image dodging which could also effectively make him the most evasive character in the game. Or even a gimmick that could let him gain more power with each successful dodge ending with a powerful blow that's high risk and big reward. If done right he could play like no other, and with what I said before about the successive dodges he could end up in the right hands of a player who has him moving as fast as fox while landing hits with ike's power.
I like fruit.

I would not use the "should" and "It would suck if he didn't" basis to consider someone likely. Let alone a shoe in.
I like shoes too.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This is literally the most upset I have ever gotten by speculating.

James, I apllaud you for pissing me off with only your opinion and just how you have stated it.

I'm not even that big of a little Mac supporter, AND I don't believe the leak, but you just brushed off the biggest thing like it was crumbs from yesterday's morning muffin.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I agree with Mr. President on this matter, Little Mac's moveset could be entirely hit or miss, depending on what Sakurai decides to do with him. Though this star punch mechanic I've heard about is interesting, to say the least.

I'm just curious, if they put Ridley in, how big is he going to be? Ridley is HUGE but do you think they can downsize him so he doesn't look weird?
Take a look at Bowser, usually a lot bigger than his Smash incarnation in most Mario games, absolutely massive in some, like Sunshine. Ganondorf is also twice Link's height in Twilight Princess, yet he's barely more than a head higher than him in Brawl. Kirby and Olimar are also up-scaled, Olimar on quite the huge scale at that.

James, I apllaud you for pissing me off with only your opinion and just how you have stated it.

I'm not even that big of a little Mac supporter, AND I don't believe the leak, but you just brushed off the biggest thing like it was crumbs from yesterday's morning muffin.
I apologize if my words come off as harsh, I'm not trying to upset you, I'm just quite blunt with what I say. I guess that's just how I grew up.

A leak is just a leak, there is no proof until it comes from Sakurai himself. You've got to remember that at the end of the day, it's just a video game. Video games are some of the most important things in my own life, but even then, that doesn't matter much to me by my own philosophies.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

C'mon man, there just typed words no need to go bananas over something said in a game forum.....

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
C'mon man, there just typed words no need to go bananas over something said in a game forum.....
Its been over a year and this is the first time I'm so upset because of someone from here.

Probably won't happen again until someone's ignorance makes me snap again.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think Lip is more likely, but Takamaru is more deserving. But, Sakurai likes Lip and Panel De Pon and Lip brings much more unique potential. And we'd be getting a puzzle character and a Super Famicom retro.
I've got a feeling about Lip and Takamaru, both of them getting a song and some stickers in Brawl, Lip having the stick since Melee, Takamaru's recent importance with Nintendo Land. I could see them both being interesting characters that Sakurai wouldn't want to pass up after he gets everyone else out of the way. We'll probably get one of them, if not both of them. I'm giving special points to Takamaru due to the situation with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus, however.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think it's pretty obvious Luigi will be a starter this time. :troll::troll::troll:

I'm giving special points to Takamaru due to the situation with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus, however.
Don't forget:

"They were all born...in 1986."

Last edited by a moderator:

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599

I won't hate on anyone here. Even if their opinion is complete garbage. And I don't think your opinions are bad at all, I'm talking like Miiverse stuff that I hear from Louie G. Like he told me about some of the stuff on there.

Its been over a year and this is the first time I'm so upset because of someone from here.

It happens. Remember that we're all friends here. :)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Just because you think Lip could bring a lot to the table doesn't mean Sakurai does. What you said about Lip could also be said about Mach Rider, Sakurai likes him even more so than Lip and you could make a unique moveset for him if you think hard enough, but Sakurai may not see enough potential in him. I remember he said he didn't add Urban Champion because the character couldn't do much, despite that I managed to make up a unique moveset for him, but it doesn't matter if I think he could be unique when Sakurai doesn't. You can't just assume Lip would be added because of uniqueness when she doesn't do much in her games. Also why does being a puzzle character as well as a Super Famicon character matter that much? Muddy Mole could also be a puzzle character and a GameBoy retro, along with being unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom