• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I won't hate on anyone here. Even if their opinion is complete garbage. And I don't think your opinions are bad at all, I'm talking like Miiverse stuff that I hear from Louie G. Like he told me about some of the stuff on there.

It happens. Remember that we're all friends here. :)
It's all fun and games until someone puts you on ignore for no reason.

But yeah I guess were all buds. i think.

Wait why are you liking this? do you have me on ignore for no reason? O_o

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm just curious, if they put Ridley in, how big is he going to be? Ridley is HUGE but do you think they can downsize him so he doesn't look weird?
Yes, re-sizing him isn't out of the realm of possibility. With Ridley, it shouldn't be an issue. So long as Ridley is reasonably bigger than Samus. Much in the same vein that Bowser is still reasonably bigger than Mario in Smash. Thing is, ever since Bowser has been given a 3-D character model, he has been quite larger than Mario in most games. The most noticeable of these occurrences is in Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and even Super Mario 3D World. Ridley is usually seen as quite larger than Samus. But in a few 2-D games, their size differences aren't very noticable, or at least minimal.

One other thing that Ridley and Bowser share is that in some of 2-D games they tend to be quite smaller. In Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario Bros 3, Bowser's and Mario's sprites are nearly the same size. In Metroid 1 this is the exact same case between Samus and Ridley. In Super Metroid, Ridley is bigger than Samus, but the difference isn't major. The difference in their sizes is similar to Mega Man X and Sigma in X4 I think. It's noticeable, but not extreme.
Bowser isn't the only character to get re-sized in order to fit. Ganondorf in Twilight Princess is twice the size of Link and Zelda in that game. I think this might also be the case in Ocarina of Time as well, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Yet in Smash, Ganondorf is only one head or so higher than Link and Zelda.

Some characters are sized up as well, Pikachu being a little over 1 foot tall in Pokemon. While being scaled up to half of Charizard's size, Charizard is normally 5.7 feet tall. Kirby is normally 8 inches tall and Olimar is supposed to be the size of a quarter.

That said, Ridley should be one of the bigger characters. It isn't really that hard to imagine him still being implemented.

Errr.....Sorry for the wall of text there guy. But I figured I'd do my best to answer your question.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Just because you think Lip could bring a lot to the table doesn't mean Sakurai does. What you said about Lip could also be said about Mach Rider, Sakurai likes him even more so than Lip and you could make a unique moveset for him if you think hard enough, but Sakurai may not see enough potential in him. I remember he said he didn't add Urban Champion because the character couldn't do much, despite that I managed to make up a unique moveset for him, but it doesn't matter if I think he could be unique when Sakurai doesn't. You can't just assume Lip would be added because of uniqueness when she doesn't do much in her games. Also why does being a puzzle character as well as a Super Famicon character matter that much? Muddy Mole could also be a puzzle character and a GameBoy retro, along with being unique.
Movesets are always tricky, like what even is Mewtwo's up-smash? I don't know of any Pokemon move like that. It's like a black hole or something.

1. No
2. No one here has any milk
3. I'm not a robot.
Well then act like this.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Movesets are always tricky, like what even is Mewtwo's up-smash? I don't know of any Pokemon move like that. It's like a black hole or something.

Well then act like this.

lol don't tell me u watch dat (full circle)

Also, um I'm already acting like a pirate. I've done some pirate things...... don't tell the FBI ok?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah. Size isn't an issue for Ridley.

He doesn't have to be gigantic. He's been smaller before.

I imagine him as the widest character being hunched over and being around Bowser's new height, if not a bit taller due to his wings.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Yes, re-sizing him isn't out of the realm of possibility. With Ridley, it shouldn't be an issue. So long as Ridley is reasonably bigger than Samus. Much in the same vein that Bowser is still reasonably bigger than Mario in Smash. Thing is, ever since Bowser has been given a 3-D character model, he has been quite larger than Mario in most games. The most noticeable of these occurrences is in Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and even Super Mario 3D World. Ridley is usually seen as quite larger than Samus. But in a few 2-D games, their size differences aren't very noticable, or at least minimal.

One other thing that Ridley and Bowser share is that in some of 2-D games they tend to be quite smaller. In Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario Bros 3, Bowser's and Mario's sprites are nearly the same size. In Metroid 1 this is the exact same case between Samus and Ridley. In Super Metroid, Ridley is bigger than Samus, but the difference isn't major. The difference in their sizes is similar to Mega Man X and Sigma in X4 I think. It's noticeable, but not extreme.
Bowser isn't the only character to get re-sized in order to fit. Ganondorf in Twilight Princess is twice the size of Link and Zelda in that game. I think this might also be the case in Ocarina of Time as well, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Yet in Smash, Ganondorf is only one head or so higher than Link and Zelda.

Some characters are sized up as well, Pikachu being a little over 1 foot tall in Pokemon. While being scaled up to half of Charizard's size, Charizard is normally 5.7 feet tall. Kirby is normally 8 inches tall and Olimar is supposed to be the size of a quarter.

That said, Ridley should be one of the bigger characters. It isn't really that hard to imagine him still being implemented.

Errr.....Sorry for the wall of text there guy. But I figured I'd do my best to answer your question.
Never really took thought about Pokemon heights like that. In that case I don't think it will be a problem like you said. Plus Metroid needs another character, as we all know.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Never really took thought about Pokemon heights like that. In that case I don't think it will be a problem like you said. Plus Metroid needs another character, as we all know.
It's best to just look at the official heights seen in the Pokedex's in most Pokemon games. I'f I'm not mistaken, Mewtwo is supposed to be quite tall. Like over 6 feet tall. Which is weird, I thought that Charizard(5.7 feet)would be taller. Even Blaziken(6.3 feet)is taller than Charizard.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Aren't Pokemon heights in their Pokedex entries more like their average height? I know Pokemon being bigger than others of the same species is present in the anime and the games (when fishing for Magikarp).

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
It's best to just look at the official heights seen in the Pokedex's in most Pokemon games. I'f I'm not mistaken, Mewtwo is supposed to be quite tall. Like over 6 feet tall. Which is weird, I thought that Charizard(5.7 feet)would be taller. Even Blaziken(6.3 feet)is taller than Charizard.
Imagine flying on Charizard now. :006:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
@ Knight Dude Knight Dude so your username is invisible now..... how do you do that? I'm been trying to do that for the longest time......

Sigh, never mind just checked I am invisible. cool.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aren't Pokemon heights in their Pokedex entries more like their average height? I know Pokemon being bigger than others of the same species is present in the anime and the games (when fishing for Magikarp).
Yeah. But that doesn't mean my Chihuahua is gonna triple average size like Ash's Charizard did. Even then, some Charizard quadrupled and quintupled average size. The anime size is its own canon.

Plus mathematically, Pokemon sizes and weight don't make sense.

Mathematically speaking, Wailord should be less dense than air....

Maybe Pidgey just carries you?
That doesn't make it any less awkward.

The only true way to Fly safely is on a Smeargle.
I prefer Charmander myself.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That's a really strong bird either way. I'd think it'd be pretty uncomfortable and dangerous to be flying in such a way.
Does it really matter how Pidgey does it? We're talking about Pokemon where 10 year kids leave home and wind up fighting evil organisations and where a bicycle can somehow fit into a backpack.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Does it really matter how Pidgey does it? We're talking about Pokemon where 10 year kids leave home and wind up fighting evil organisations and where a bicycle can somehow fit into a backpack.
Fold-able bicycle. That being said, Pokemon has always been a cluster**** of nonsense. Edit: Looks like Swamp beat me to that one.

I prefer Charmander myself.
I fly air Farfetch'd Method of Travel.

Yeah but can they still fit into a backpack with hundreds of Pokeballs, potions and other items?
Do you even hammerspace? Even Snake does it man.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Foldable bikes exist dude.
Yeah but can they still fit into a backpack with hundreds of Pokeballs, potions and other items?

Do you even hammerspace? Even Snake does it man.
Yeah I hammerspace. I just think it makes more sense to have items from hammerspace appear from out of nowhere than someone's bag. Don't question my logic.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
God, I'm in such a bad mood. I'm sure Smashboards will cheer me- NEVER MIND!
Just because you think Lip could bring a lot to the table doesn't mean Sakurai does.
Oh, okay...I didn't say he does.

What you said about Lip could also be said about Mach Rider
Lol.

Sakurai likes him even more so than Lip
Source?

and you could make a unique moveset for him if you think hard enough
I honestly doubt that is true. Prove me wrong if you can. If you can think of something better than grenades, guns, and a motorcycle which we already have all of those. Be my guest.

I remember he said he didn't add Urban Champion because the character couldn't do much, despite that I managed to make up a unique moveset for him, but it doesn't matter if I think he could be unique when Sakurai doesn't.
Okay, I never said anything about my mindset being equal to Sakurai's.

You can't just assume Lip would be added because of uniqueness when she doesn't do much in her games.
Because I said Lip would be added JUST because of her uniqueness. Oh, wait! No I didn't! And from what I recall, Lip has the ability to control the different blocks to form and do what she wants, can use the power of her flower to use rainbow powers, and has a pet that she hangs on to to fly. Also her flower can spawn damaging flowers on your head. And there's a lot to work from with the different kinds of blocks.

Also why does being a puzzle character as well as a Super Famicon character matter that much?
Because variety. That's a thing remember? Why does a character being retro at all matter much?

Muddy Mole could also be a puzzle character and a GameBoy retro, along with being unique.
Oh, good! Muddy Mole has joined the conversation. FANTAAAAAASTIC!

Remember when Muddy Mole was significant and remembered in any continent? I don't. Even Ice Climber was remembered simply for being one of the many retro arcade-ish titles on the NES, regardless if people liked it.

So far I see two merits for Muddy Mole

1. It existed
  2. It was technically retro.
That's good enough for a character who was never referenced again outside a VC release or ever acknowledged in SSB as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Remember when Muddy Mole was significant and remembered in any continent? I don't. Even Ice Climber was remembered simply for being one of the many retro arcade-ish titles on the NES, regardless if people liked it.
I remember Muddy Mole. I've randomly googled something that has nothing to do with Muddy Mole and found a comic about why Muddy Mole is such a good game.
I don't remember Ice Climbers being significant or remembered in any continent prior to Melee.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I remember Muddy Mole. I've randomly googled something that has nothing to do with Muddy Mole and found a comic about why Muddy Mole is such a good game.
I don't remember Ice Climbers being significant or remembered in any continent prior to Melee.
Animal Crossing 64. Arcade like Nintendo games on NES themselves were significant as a group.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
God, I'm in such a bad mood. I'm sure Smashboards will cheer me- NEVER MIND!
You were in such a bad mood yet you still took the time to reply to me... You do care. :chuckle:
Oh, okay...I didn't say he does.
Sorry I didn't make it clear, but I'm just questioning why you chose Lip over Takamaru. The only reason you gave in your comment was that she'd be more unique than him. I was just stating how that doesn't mean much.

Thanks for the input.

http://fryguy64.proboards.com/thread/2418 Before Melee came out he was asked what his favorite character for Smash was, he said Mach Rider (his favorite character already in Smash was Captain Falcon).

I honestly doubt that is true. Prove me wrong if you can. If you can think of something better than grenades, guns, and a motorcycle which we already have all of those. Be my guest.
I came up with the idea of him having the gimmick of changing his stats. In his game he is able to change the gears of his motorcycle, he can make it go faster, but he'll be more likely to crash. I thought he could press down special to make him go faster, but easier to knock out. His recovery move can be to explode which hurts others then he materializes from one area to another. His normal special can have him charge up a punch, using it afterwards thrusts him forward a good distance, a stream of fire is left behind him which can hurt others. Side special would be his gun, but they could easily make it work differently then other guns already in Smash. He can leave puddles of oil then set if on fire, or leave it alone to make people slip, he can kick a oil drum, he can keep it rolling or shoot it to make it explode. His smash attacks can have exploding effects, his running attack can have him slide on his knees, bash you with his helmet, and he could attack with a tire iron. The idea of him using a chain has been thrown around a lot too. Final Smash would be his motorcycle, he can shoot while on it, boost forward and upward with it.

Okay, I never said anything about my mindset being equal to Sakurai's.
Again, just wondering why you chose Lip over Takamaru.

Because I said Lip would be added JUST because of her uniqueness. Oh, wait! No I didn't! And from what I recall, Lip has the ability to control the different blocks to form and do what she wants, can use the power of her flower to use rainbow powers, and has a pet that she hangs on to to fly. Also her flower can spawn damaging flowers on your head. And there's a lot to work from with the different kinds of blocks.
That's the only reason you gave as to why you find her more likely than Takamaru, other than being a puzzle character from the Super Famicom.

Because variety. That's a thing remember? Why does a character being retro at all matter much?
Being a retro matters because Sakurai basically said he was going to add older characters in this game.

Oh, good! Muddy Mole has joined the conversation. FANTAAAAAASTIC!
Sorry you don't like him. :roll:

Attachments

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They didn't actually.

Ice Climbers has been seen as "meh" throughout history.
Ice Climbers is a pretty bad game by NES standards actually. They weren't added because "people remember it" either, they were added because they had more potential than the other potential retro characters. Being from an obscure retro game isn't going to stop a character from being added, the retro characters aren't there to symbolize fan favorites, they are there because they're part of Nintendo's history, and Muddy Mole is that just as much as Ice Climbers, Pit (pre-Uprising) and every other potential retro character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ice Climbers is a pretty bad game by NES standards actually. They weren't added because "people remember it" either, they were added because they had more potential than the other potential retro characters. Being from an obscure retro game isn't going to stop a character from being added, the retro characters aren't there to symbolize fan favorites, they are there because they're part of Nintendo's history, and Muddy Mole is that just as much as Ice Climbers, Pit (pre-Uprising) and every other potential retro character.
...but I like Ice Climber...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Ice Climbers did prove to be unique with the two-in-one character system. And unlike the other characters, the Ice Climbers literally have to stick together to be effective in combat.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Now that we have King Dedede, I'm going to predict our next character will be the Ice Climbers, who I hope will be revealed January 30th. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom