• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By themselves those factors aren't horrible if there are other redeeming qualities, but together they don't paint the best picture.
Read closer.

First, she wasn't the protagonist of this game. Second, a cameo of this stature... isn't going to do much. It's honestly on par with like the cameos she's had in Smash (and not the item - her as a character).

I don't know about that.
Well I do. I've seen the polls, I've checked Japanese sites. And others who have also checked those sites have said pretty similar things.

Didn't he make a statement about her?
I don't think so, but if you can find one, I guess he did. I believe he might've said he was a fan of the game (not sure though), but regardless, even if he were to play favourites, Lip isn't his favourite.

Strange conclusion to assume, but no. I'd say Panel De Pon is an overall more important franchise than Golden Sun and Lip is a more iconic Nintendo character even if she isn't as popular/requested.
Uhh... how? It doesn't have the same levels of critical or commercial reception or popularity...

Not to mention it's a pretty big stretch to call a character with one major appearance in her series more iconic than a character with an appearance in every game in his series, a notable level of popularity (even in Japan at one time), not to mention three worldwide releases... as opposed to her zero.

Morbi

Scavenger
Since it was more memorable, supported, and referenced than Golden Sun which had 3 games, an assist trophy, and that's it.

Panel De Pon had 8 games, an item in Smash, a cameo in Captain Rainbow, a Yoshi Themed game, and 2 Pokemon themed games. Seriously you people and your "muh popularity, muh requests" really causes you to have a lapse in judgement.

I bet this post won't even get many likes cuz it goes against Issac The Requested. But, I don't need likes to know the truth.
I am with you on the Issac portion of the sentiment.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm actually mildly surprised I haven't witnessed anybody misinterpreting Sakurai's statement ("It's great to see so many female characters this time around.") as ("Well, that's it for all potential female characters, there's no more."), particularly against Palutena and others.
Source for second quote?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Since it was more memorable, supported, and referenced than Golden Sun which had 3 games, an assist trophy, and that's it.

Panel De Pon had 8 games, an item in Smash, a cameo in Captain Rainbow, a Yoshi Themed game, and 2 Pokemon themed games. Seriously you people and your "muh popularity, muh requests" really causes you to have a lapse in judgement.

I bet this post won't even get many likes cuz it goes against Issac The Requested. But, I don't need likes to know the truth.
I don't wanna get in an argument, it's too late, so I'll make this quick:

Very few people know who Lip is and fewer people care. Your character is not well known, not a fighter (we already have two of those), and there are many more deserving characters. Nintendo treats the series like ****, and considering I've never heard of it until now, more casual fans know less. Of course, other fairly unknown characters have gotten in, like Melee Marth and no one else. And Lip is not as fabulous as Marth.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Very few people know who Lip is and fewer people care. Your character is not well known, not a fighter (we already have two of those), and there are many more deserving characters. Nintendo treats the series like ****, and considering I've never heard of it until now, more casual fans know less. Of course, other fairly unknown characters have gotten in, like Melee Marth and no one else. And Lip is not as fabulous as Marth.
I'd say many people know the series, but they just don't know about Lip and the Japanese versions. I'm sure people know about Tetris Attack.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Source for second quote?

The second quote isn't supposed to be an actual quote - it's a generalization of what a misinterpretation of the original quote would look like. I'm simply expressing, again, mild surprise I haven't witnessed the quote taken out of context to be used against other female characters yet to be in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How replacing Sheik with Impa will grant more diversity to the roster? Do tell me.
Apperantly, by making Zelda more interessting by giving her the Phantom Knight. ;) And Impa would be a retooled Sheik. Probably with the barrier from Skyward Sword, shadows / invisibility and possible even her longsword.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Very few people know who Lip is and fewer people care.
Like how very few people know Ice Climber and care about Wii Fit Trainer. If you're argument is "muh requests" then I have no reason to expect you have a decent argument against Lip.

And it looks like I was right, in your next quote you seem to believe that a character has to be a fighter to get into Smash and that Nintendo treats Panel De Pon like ****. Ya, I don't think I wanna waste my time trying to appeal to you.

Morbi

Scavenger

This is a good point that summarizes the notion of popularity. The character doesn't need to be the most popular, but being unknown is certainly not a positive aspect that will incite Sakurai to add said character in the game. They have to have a reasonable fan-base. Characters that are assist trophy material will be assist trophies, plain and simple.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Apperantly, by making Zelda more interessting by giving her the Phantom Knight. ;) And Impa would be a retooled Sheik. Probably with the barrier from Skyward Sword, shadows / invisibility and possible even her longsword.
It's kinda weird how I make a comparison to people who want a new generation Pokemon Trainer over Red to people want Impa to replace Sheik.

D

Deleted member

Dude, I don't really give two ****s about Isaac, I've never played GS, but even I recognize popularity and iconography when I see it.

I don't even follow your logic... since when does more games = more important?

I think importance is something that can only be measured by the impact something had on popular culture. GS did just that. PdP simply has more games and cameos cause it's easy to implement, and Captain Rainbow is a game GEARED toward obscure references, so just by bringing that up, you already invalidate your point.

If more games = more prominence, then I guess Fire Emblem is more important than Metroid.

It's true that there is a pattern between importance and number of titles, but it can deviate, as some games can make a HUGE impact with a small number of games, whereas others are easy to rehash and thus can have many many titles, but still not be as good. Easy example of this, Metal Gear, series only had 3 titles when it was crowned one of the greatest series in gaming, and even today, the franchise is still rather small compared to other titans like Zelda, Sonic, Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and such, and Metal Gear stands humbly among them, despite not having NEARLY as many titles as those.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Like how very few people know Ice Climber and care about Wii Fit Trainer. If you're argument is "muh requests" then I have no reason to expect you have a decent argument against Lip.

And it looks like I was right, in your next quote you seem to believe that a character has to be a fighter to get into Smash and that Nintendo treats Panel De Pon like ****. Ya, I don't think I wanna waste my time trying to appeal to you.
Don't try to appeal to me, it's what you think is gonna happen. I just have a different opinion, you have to respect that. I respect you supporting Diskun, you can support my one dislike of one obscure character. Oh, and what did you get for Christmas? Don't remember you posting it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was wondering what the new Phantom Knight is... obviously a special. It would seem odd to remove any of the Goddess' powers from her move-set without removing them all, that might entail an overhaul or the separation of Sheik and Zelda.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If we get an invisible ninja, I want Espio, not old fat woman who' skinny for two of her six or so games. It would be like if Mario was replaced with Dr. Mario because he's more unique.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying Lip is a bad character, cause she isn't, at least not on paper.

But to say she's more important than Isaac, and that her series is more important that GS, isn't outlandish, it's just flat out stupid.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was wondering what the new Phantom Knight is... obviously a special. It would seem odd to remove any of the Goddess' powers from her move-set without removing them all, that might entail an overhaul or the separation of Sheik and Zelda.
Hyrule Warriors was only the beginning ;)

People seem to be in mad denial. It's sad really.

Morbi

Scavenger
If we get an invisible ninja, I want Espio, not old fat woman who' skinny for two of her six or so games. It would be like if Mario was replaced with Dr. Mario because he's more unique.
That is all I have ever wanted... Dr. Mario is in my dream roster, Mario... is not.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Really? cause most people are saying that its an AT

I think its either a side special or down special, and I think the characters are gonna be separated. Idk if it'll be shiek or impa, but I think zelda might be standalone this time. As seeing the transformation wasn't working out to well.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And the Mask Salesman will be playable...
Okayyyy.
But come on, Mac is overdue. I feel like the assist trophy status makes characters more likely in the long run, due to the model already existing.
And also, Villager was actually planned for Brawl, so Smashville may have been created before/during the cut of Villager.
Because I totally go around saying that the Happy Mask Salesman is inevitable, I feel so much like Diddy. (In case my sarcasm wasn't clear enough, I was never serious about him)

I don't think Little Mac is a shoe-in at all. Why should he be? Because he has a cult fanbase that supports him way too much? That worked out for Skull Kid so well. And also, Villager was never planned for Brawl.
Other than removing Krystal for someone better like Little Mac, decent roster.
I don't necessarily think punches galore is better than a magical staff but to each his own.
Furry comments.
I don't discriminate against any group, to me, hating on furries is like hating on gays. What business is it of yours what a person finds attractive or not? It's just not right to try to go in someone's life and change it because you don't like it, especially if you don't even know the person, their interests won't affect you in any way. While it's true that there are some bad furries, that is also true for everything, there are good people and there are bad people, no matter where you come from. Not every furry prances about in a fursuit and ****. There are far worse things a person could like than a cartoony, anthropomorphic character anyway. /rant

D

Deleted member

Espio?

You mean that pink thing from Sonic??

Eww, no thanks.

Also, that last part man... what are you even saying?

Mario = Link
Doc Mario = Toon Link (and not even cause YLink is the original Link, so really, Shadow Link)
Peach = Zelda
Shadow Queen Peach = Sheik
Toadsworth/Toad = Impa

Now all you Toad fans can wallow in your own hypocricy for your anti-Impa bias.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Indeed. He's the developer's favorite and has appeared in more games than Shadow and Amy, yo pienso.
What's more likely; a newcomer from Zelda or from Sonic? :rolleyes:

Fat old woman isn't getting in. And besides, she's only been fat twice. Old, 3 times. Young also 2 times, and upcoming is Hyrule Warriors; also Young Impa, but playable.

Apperantly, playability is a big thing: check Phantom Knight. :secretkpop:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Espio?

You mean that pink thing from Sonic??

Eww, no thanks.

Also, that last part man... what are you even saying?

Mario = Link
Doc Mario = Toon Link (and not even cause YLink is the original Link, so really, Shadow Link)
Peach = Zelda
Shadow Queen Peach = Sheik
Toadsworth/Toad = Impa

Now all you Toad fans can wallow in your own hypocricy for your anti-Impa bias.
What am I saying? What is that ****?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And also, Villager was never planned for Brawl.
From the Polygon Interview:
In fact, we had previously removed the villager from Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the planning stages because he wasn't suited for battle."

Morbi

Scavenger
Because I totally go around saying that the Happy Mask Salesman is inevitable, I feel so much like Diddy. (In case my sarcasm wasn't clear enough, I was never serious about him)

I don't think Little Mac is a shoe-in at all. Why should he be? Because he has a cult fanbase that supports him way too much? That worked out for Skull Kid so well. And also, Villager was never planned for Brawl.

I don't necessarily think punches galore is better than a magical staff but to each his own.

I don't discriminate against any group, to me, hating on furries is like hating on gays. What business is it of yours what a person finds attractive or not? It's just not right to try to go in someone's life and change it because you don't like it, especially if you don't even know the person, their interests won't affect you in any way. While it's true that there are some bad furries, that is also true for everything, there are good people and there are bad people, no matter where you come from. Not every furry prances about in a fursuit and ****. There are far worse things a person could like than a cartoony, anthropomorphic character anyway. /rant
I didn't ever know that bestiality was a sexual orientation... now I feel horrible.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
First, she wasn't the protagonist of this game.
This matters why?

Second, a cameo of this stature... isn't going to do much. It's honestly on par with like the cameos she's had in Smash (and not the item - her as a character).
What makes you say that?

Uhh... how? It doesn't have the same levels of critical or commercial reception or popularity...
Muh Popularity! Muh Requests! Muh commercial reception!

You people are hopeless. Everything is charts with you. You really think that after Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina that requests and reception is the sole factor of inclusion and **** everything else? Jesus! Take a hint.

Not to mention it's a pretty big stretch to call a character with one major appearance in her series more iconic than a character with an appearance in every game in his series
So Chibi-Robo is more iconic than Balloon Fighter?

Why do you think Sakurai added Wii Fit Trainer? Because she was an iconic character or because Wii Fit was an iconic game, which (like Lip) had a semi-iconic character? Thus if we are concluding Wii Fit Trainer's game factored in her inclusion, you're basis that Lip only appearing twice in 9 of her games isn't really valid. People still know who Lip is. She has quite some popularity in Smash requests to (since you think that is the center of criteria.). and even if it's less than Issac (which doesn't matter if it's less considering we have Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer), she's made appearances and references in other Nintendo games too. Nintendo AND Sakurai recognize her. Issac had 3 games and an Assist Trophy. This is disproportionate to Lip combined with her franchise.

not to mention three worldwide releases... as opposed to her zero.
That's a funny way to mispronouncing 8

And Mother had two, and Starfox had two, and Pikmin had two, and F-Zero had two.
Are we just announcing random facts of the day? I'm simply correcting an unresearched statement. There is nothing else too it. I also hope you're not comparing Golden Sun to these franchises. Stop acting like there is only one area of criteria for each character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom