• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I dunno as much as I'd like to see it happen, I find it unlikely and I feel as if an assist is as far as were gonna get since I feel like its gonna miss the cut just like a sin and punishment character might. I like the bold choice though.
I wouldn't compare Sin & Punishment which is incredibly obscure to a 12 game franchise with a much bigger following. And Sakurai seems to be looking for more diverse additions this time around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I believe you misinterpreted his point entirely. He's saying we don't have as big of an idea of what's likely an unlikely as we thought we did and thus should be cautious, not mindless.
I agree. But just because Sakurai is defying preconceived expectations, as he does every time, it doesn't justify making roster choices with little logic behind them, at least the unexpected characters all had some kind of reasoning behind him, Villager is AC, and was only unlikely because of Sakurai, not the character himself. WFT is Wii Fit. Unexpected, but warranted. Rosalina has been given increasing amounts of attention within the biggest games in the series, and despite claims, she did have a notable amount of popularity in Japan. Unexpected... sure, but not mindless.

Even though the roster isn't exactly (or even close) to how we thought it would turn out, there's still a general likelihood to things, which isn't set in stone or anything, but it is one Sakurai does meet about as much, or even more, then he doesn't, and those times he deviates from it, they're still with good cause. So yeah, we don't have a firm grasp on true chances, we never will, but if we're going to be making predictions, likelihood persists. Unexpected additions aren't reason to scrap the whole notion of respective chance, otherwise we should've scrapped things the moment we got our first unexpected addition, which hardly began with this game.

Also why exactly is Lip so unlikely despite the item?
Because she's a Japan-only one-time protagonist of a game from nearly twenty years ago who has little popularity. By themselves those factors aren't horrible if there are other redeeming qualities, but together they don't paint the best picture. As far as I can see, the only redeeming factor she has is potential, which other characters also have. One might argue a Sakurai bias, but Sakurai doesn't act on his bias, so I wouldn't put much stock in that. She's not even his favourite "retro" character, if he even thinks of her like that.

If items were a basis for inclusion, we should be seeing Bubbles any minute now.

What exactly makes her a better choice than Isaac? Because she's a girl?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I wouldn't compare Sin & Punishment which is incredibly obscure to a 12 game franchise with a much bigger following. And Sakurai seems to be looking for more diverse additions this time around.
How would the solider character work exactly? any uniqueness to him? I'll let you go with Neon so take your time. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Replacing a ninja-like Sheikah... with a ninja-like Sheikah? How diverse... :rolleyes:

The word "better" implies subjectivity and the word "irrefutable" implies objectivity or factuality. Can't you see the blatant contradiction here? I can't take you very seriously if you have contradictions in your argument.

Again, removing Sheik and replacing her by Impa is not going to inherently better Zelda, no matter how deluded people think it may.

The majority of the Smash fanbase wants Sheik back. Like it or not, she's become a staple of Smash Bros., appearing in 2 out of the 3 Smash games released so far. She's also fairly known among the Nintendo fanbase, if the cameos in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Scribblenauts Unlimited are any indication. Should I even mention Ocarina of Time being remade for the 3DS?

Removing Sheik (or any veteran character) would alienate the fanbase and Sakurai knows it. That's why I simply can't believe the idea of Sheik being cut and Impa inheriting her moveset. It doesn't make sense and contradicts Sakurai's wishes.
That wasn't my point, quaint.

Objectivity was my argument. It isn't a contradiction if you are only looking at the implications. I was utilizing the term objectively from the perspective of relevance and importance to the franchise, I was not; however, using the term to allude to the desires of people. I cannot take your arrogance seriously, it is truly pathetic that you would attempt to find a contradiction in an opinion... yet you failed.

I do like it.

Give me a source that proclaims such, you will find it quite difficult as that is merely an assumption.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
BluePikmin hate a character!? Who are you and what did you do with BluePikmin?:troll:
Don't summon the furries. D:

I want Palutena and Ridley more than anyone else. I see a lot of people losing hope in Palutena, but I hope she makes it.
I really haven't given up hope for Palutena. She definitely brings something new to the table, and it's probably a Sakurai's personal decision that determines her fate.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Don't summon the furries. D:
>Assumes all krystal supporters are furries, yet there's nothing wrong with liking fox or wolf. Come on man, you know that ain't true.

I thought you were better than this you blue anna guy.

Love xenoblaze's new sig btw, its much better than the ironic old one he had.

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't see why people would lose hope for Palutena all of sudden, considering nothing has changed at all.
The knowledge used to conceived rational opinions has altered drastically. Her chances are the same, you are correct. It was merely our perceptions of her chances that have changed.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
>Assumes all krystal supporters are furries, yet there's nothing wrong with liking fox or wolf. Come on man, you know that ain't true.

>Assuming that being a furry is a bad thing.
[collapse=] :troll:[/collapse]

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That wasn't my point, quaint.
How replacing Sheik with Impa will grant more diversity to the roster? Do tell me.

Objectivity was my argument. It isn't a contradiction if you are only looking at the implications. I was utilizing the term objectively from the perspective of relevance and importance to the franchise, I was not; however, using the term to allude to the desires of people. I cannot take your arrogance seriously, it is truly pathetic that you would attempt to find a contradiction in an opinion... yet you failed.
Stating something is better usually implies subjectivity. The concepts "better" or "worse" are tied to each individual's perception.

You state that it is better if Impa replaces Sheik. That is solely your opinion and nothing more, so don't try to pass it as a fact. Some people may fall for that, but I don't.

Give me a source that proclaims such, you will find it quite difficult as that is merely an assumption.
And this will be the last card I will play on this argument...

Sakurai said:
"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."
Source

I'm not wasting my time any further with this. Have a good night.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
>Implying all krystal supporters are furries, yet there's nothing wrong with liking fox or wolf. Come on man, you know that ain't true.

Yeah I know, I guess I'm overreacting here. I guess Krystal would be neat to have, though I think there would be better staff users out there.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I am being realistic, I just like putting risky characters in the roster. But I don't know what the Sakurai's final roster is, but surely it's not going to be the safe rosters people predict here. Although I may have gone overboard in some cases I guess.
Yeah...no

How's this, Squidward?:
View attachment 5460
Lack of Isaac is disappointing, but this is a decent roster.

So any thoughts on my /serious roster? Not many people seem to like Saki, so I'm not entirely sure about him. Might just go with my Salesman roster.

The only other characters I'm iffy on are Palutena, Krystal, and Isaac. I mostly went with Saki because of Sakurai being a fan of rail shooters/Saki being the most fleshed out/character-like assist trophy in Brawl.
Other than removing Krystal for someone better like Little Mac, decent roster.

Animal Crossing stage in Brawl and we're only just now getting Villager. I just have this feeling that the Mac will still be an assist trophy.
Or maybe they're waiting for the right moment to reveal him (perhaps unlockable?)

D

Deleted member

Don't see why people would lose hope for Palutena all of sudden, considering nothing has changed at all.
Imo, Palutena, Ridley, and Takamaru are still among the most likely newcomers that we'll get.

With that last Miiverse tagline, it seems Sakurai is wanting to add more females to the roster, so that's good I guess.

We got:
Peach
Zelda
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Miss Fit
Rosalina
Marth
Palutena

Seems like a sizeable amount of girls to go around this time around. Did I miss anyone?

In my professional opinion... it is. :awesome:
Professional opinion??

"Certified Internet Dweller"
Is that a thing now? How well does it pay?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because she's a Japan-only

:lucas: :marth:

one-time protagonist

of a game from nearly twenty years ago

who has little popularity.
I don't know about that.

She's not even his favourite "retro" character, if he even thinks of her like that.
Didn't he make a statement about her?

What exactly makes her more likely than Isaac? Because she's a girl?
Strange conclusion to assume, but no. I'd say Panel De Pon is an overall more important franchise than Golden Sun and Lip is a more iconic Nintendo character even if she isn't as popular/requested.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing stage in Brawl and we're only just now getting Villager. I just have this feeling that the Mac will still be an assist trophy.
And the Mask Salesman will be playable...
Okayyyy.
But come on, Mac is overdue. I feel like the assist trophy status makes characters more likely in the long run, due to the model already existing.
And also, Villager was actually planned for Brawl, so Smashville may have been created before/during the cut of Villager.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Imo, Palutena, Ridley, and Takamaru are still among the most likely newcomers that we'll get.

With that last Miiverse tagline, it seems Sakurai is wanting to add more females to the roster, so that's good I guess.

We got:
Peach
Zelda
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Miss Fit
Rosalina
Marth
Palutena

Seems like a sizeable amount of girls to go around this time around. Did I miss anyone?
Lyn.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Okayyyy.
But come on, Mac is overdue. I feel like the assist trophy status makes characters more likely in the long run, due to the model already existing.
And also, Villager was actually planned for Brawl, so Smashville may have been created before/during the cut of Villager.
You can't deny Dat salesman face.

:troll:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Okayyyy.
Source?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I support Krystal because I find her important to the StarFox series and offers something new to it. It also fits the Hero, Sidekick, Villain, Femme Fatale group type, that adds variety and the importance to the series. Plus, I always thought a hero, no matter game, story, movie, or etc, deserves a love interest. And no, I'm not a furry, I just think Krystal has a bunch of pros to be added in. The only reason she isn't well regarded is because of the few loud furries of her supporters. Plus, the fact that Star Fox series has two semi-clones of the same character.

Morbi

Scavenger
How replacing Sheik with Impa will grant more diversity to the roster? Do tell me.

Stating something is better always implies subjectivity. The concepts "better" or "worse" are always tied to each individual's perception.

You state that it is better if Impa replaces Sheik. That is solely your opinion and nothing more, so don't try to pass it as a fact. Some people may fall for that, but I don't.

And this will be the last card I will play on this argument...

Source

I'm not wasting my time any further with this. Have a good night.
[/quote]
I am not entirely sure if you want a response... your overt actions entail that you do indeed. So I will continue despite your facetiously passive approach.

I apologize, I should have been more specific, I was actually referring to character diversity. That one is on me.

Not necessarily, some things are as they appear. In this case, a one-shot character does not offer more to the franchise (especially as it is simply an incarnation of a character) than the one intended to provide a differing role that has a plethora of appearances and a prevalent role.

It is an opinion, one that derives from the specific perspective that I thought I made quite concise. Impa is more ideal for the roster (again, this is coming from the above perspective). Sheik's move-set derives from Impa, the inspiration for Sheik is Impa. Therefore, Impa is undoubtedly the more ideal choice (again this is coming from the perspective of importance to a series).

The source is immaterial. Nothing in it alludes to what you were saying.

Thank you, you have a good night as well, sir. I have to read the source, I will edit in my thoughts shortly.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm thinking about putting Lip on my roster in Starfy's place instead of Issac. Thoughts?
Nah, as much as I love Lip. One retro is enough I feel, and that spot will probably go to Takamaru.
I'd go with one of the characters I mentioned in our PM, go back and check that out if you forget.
Other people on Smashboards with sources.
I can't find it right now, take my word on it.
Villager was CONSIDERED for Brawl. That's not the same thing as planned.
Well, I remember reading that Sakurai had said something along the lines of "We had planned Villager for Brawl, but I decided that he wasn't fighter material."
And come on Saturn, are you for me or against me? :dizzy:

D

Deleted member

Strange conclusion to assume, but no. I'd say Panel De Pon is an overall more important franchise than Golden Sun and Lip is a more iconic Nintendo character even if she isn't as popular/requested.
I'd say Panel De Pon is an overall more important franchise than Golden Sun and Lip is a more iconic Nintendo character even if she isn't as popular/requested.
I'd say Panel De Pon is an overall more important franchise than Golden Sun
Wait, what??

Since when?

I never even heard of Panel de Pon till a couple years ago, and I remember Golden Sun from high school (that was over 9 years ago), sure I never played it, but many of my friends did. Also, I don't see Lip being an Assist Trophy.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

We got:
Peach
Zelda
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Miss Fit
Rosalina
Marth
Palutena

Professional opinion??

"Certified Internet Dweller"
Is that a thing now? How well does it pay?
I know he's fabulous, but that's discrimination! :awesome: :troll:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Wait, what??

Since when?

I never even heard of Panel de Pon till a couple years ago, and I remember Golden Sun from high school (that was over 9 years ago), sure I never played it, but many of my friends did. Also, I don't see Lip being an Assist Trophy.
Mmmyep, this checks out. Golden Sun has three games, Panel de Pon has one. Golden Sun is a very well received RPG, PDP is an unknown puzzle game with a tiny following. Isaac was an AT, Lip's Flkower was an item. But you guys don't know about items. :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since when?
Since it was more memorable, supported, and referenced than Golden Sun which had 3 games, an assist trophy, and that's it.

Panel De Pon had 8 games, an item in Smash, a cameo in Captain Rainbow, a Yoshi Themed game, and 2 Pokemon themed games. Seriously you people and your "muh popularity, muh requests" really causes you to have a lapse in judgement.

I bet this post won't even get many likes cuz it goes against Issac The Requested. But, I don't need likes to know the truth.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I'm actually mildly surprised I haven't witnessed anybody misinterpreting Sakurai's statement ("It's great to see so many female characters this time around.") as ("Well, that's it for all potential female characters, there's no more."), particularly against Palutena and others.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Since it was more memorable, supported, and referenced than Golden Sun which had 3 games, an assist trophy, and that's it.

Panel De Pon had 8 games, an item in Smash, a cameo in Captain Rainbow, a Yoshi Themed game, and 2 Pokemon themed games. Seriously you people and your "muh popularity, muh requests" really causes you to have a lapse in judgement.

I bet this post won't even get many likes cuz it goes against Issac The Requested. But, I don't need likes to know the truth.
I would trade likes for live posting straight up, likes aren't a popularity thing btw.... its just a button that gets meh at times.

D

Deleted member

The series is pretty important, it's just that Lip doesn't star in most of the games in the franchise. Only the character Lip is pretty obscure.
Important how??

This is a legitimate question. Perhaps it's me cause I'm not too much into puzzle games, but seriously, how is this series more important that GS? It's not Tetris you know...

Also, I've never seen Nintendo go out of their way to market a PdP game when, for GS3, they specifically did a bunch of special stuff to get the fans riled up for the new game, I remember people were talking about rebirth of GS right before the launch of GS3 all over the place. Whereas PdP, I've never heard anything about it outside of the fact that apparently Lip and the Lip Stick are both from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom