• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Making a new roster prediction, I'd make an image but I'm not in a position to right now.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Rosalina & Luma
6. Link
7. Zelda/Shiek
8. Ganondorf
9. Toon Link
10. Donkey Kong
11. Diddy Kong
12. Yoshi
13. Wario
14. Samus/ZSS
15. Ridley
16. Pit
17. Kirby
18. Meta Knight
19. King Dedede
20. Pikmin & Olimar
21. Fox
22. Falco
23. Captain Falcon
24. Pikachu
25. Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
26. Lucario
27. Jigglypuff
28. Mewtwo
29. Marth
30. Ike
31. Robin
32. Ness
33. Ice Climbers
34. Mr. Game & Watch
35. R.O.B
36. Villager
37. Wii Fit Trainer
38. Little Mac
39. Isaac
40. Mii
41. Sonic
42. Megaman

Snake, Wolf and Lucas cut. (3)
Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Isaac, Ridley, Robin and Mii as newcomers. (9)
Mewtwo returns. (1)

I keep flip flopping with Ridley....not much certainty there. The main goal with this prediction was to try to make something conservative but with one or two possible curve balls thrown in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why do people keep cutting Snake?

I mean Sakurai said no characters had been cut at E3 and Snake can't be bumped out due to time...

Do people just not like him?

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Sakurai was saying that no planned character had been cut so far.
We don't know if Sakurai planned on Snake returning or not.

That being said, doesn't seem likely Sakurai outed Snake from the onset.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well my reasoning is a mix of what I feel is likely and my personal feelings towards the character.
I like Snake and his moveset. I don't like Snake in Smash Bros. He doesn't fit, nor does he deserve to be there whatsoever.
And comparing him to Sonic is ridiculous, considering Sonic's long history with Nintendo, and basically representing the important 16-bit war era of Nintendo's history.
The real reason though is copyright. Metal Gear is nowhere to be seen on Wii U, so the question isn't whether Sakurai wants Snake to return (which he might given that it is indeed a favor to a friend) but if Nintendo would even let Snake into Smash Bros, or if Kojima even WANTS Snake back in.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I mean Sakurai said no characters had been cut at E3 and Snake can't be bumped out due to time...

Do people just not like him?

I just feel like his position is threatened the most because his inclusion in brawl was based on a favour. So Sakurai wouldn't have gone for him of his own accord. Which to me sounds like snake could be in trouble. Do we have to rely on another favour being made?

It has nothing to do with what I think of him.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just feel like his position is threatened the most because his inclusion in brawl was based on a favour. So Sakurai wouldn't have gone for him of his own accord. Which to me sounds like snake could be in trouble. Do we have to rely on another favour being made?
But the situation is different now.

He's not just a favor to a friend anymore.

He's a very popular veteran!

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
The real reason though is copyright. Metal Gear is nowhere to be seen on Wii U, so the question isn't whether Sakurai wants Snake to return (which he might given that it is indeed a favor to a friend) but if Nintendo would even let Snake into Smash Bros, or if Kojima even WANTS Snake back in.

Metal Gear is actually more closely tied to Nintendo than it was when Brawl came out; making a big deal out of MGS V not being on the Wii U makes no sense to me; Nintendo didn't get Guns of the Patriots either. If anything, MGS3 getting ported to 3DS makes Snake slightly more relevant to Nintendo than he used to be.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, just out of curiousity:
What has Snake done to deserve his spot in SUPER SMASH BROTHERS, a game for NINTENDO all-stars?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What has Snake done to deserve his spot in SUPER SMASH BROTHERS, a game for NINTENDO all-stars?
What has Ice Climbers done?

What had Roy done?

And besides, Rosalina kinda throws the "deserve" thing out. As cool as she is, there were several Mario characters that "deserved" it over her.

Snake was included via a favor. That much is true, but what is also true, is that now is that he's a veteran. A popular one. A big name with tons of starpower. He attracts a whole new audience.

Really, there are almost no downsides to including him.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Considering he had to rely on a favour to get in, not that much arguably.

Only thing recently of note is a 3ds port....and I'm not sure if it performed very well.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Metal Gear is actually more closely tied to Nintendo than it was when Brawl came out; making a big deal out of MGS V not being on the Wii U makes no sense to me; Nintendo didn't get Guns of the Patriots either. If anything, MGS3 getting ported to 3DS makes Snake slightly more relevant to Nintendo than he used to be.
To be honest I'd say it's about the same at the very least. There was also one port on the Gamecube before Brawl just like the 3DS with this one.

Having said that...

And that never mattered for Snake and it won't now, the thing is he's a popular veteran that got in on an important favor to a friend. Unless Kojima or Konami says no (which I highly doubt), it's not unlikely that Snake won't be in this time around.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Krystal should be playable keep andross the sf assist trophy. Also if we were to get a second animal crossing character it would definitely be Tom Nook (Im personally hoping he makes it in this time).
Frankly, at this point, I doubt that we'll be seeing any more Star Fox reps outside of Falco and Wolf.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

What had Roy done?

And besides, Rosalina kinda throws the "deserve" thing out. As cool as she is, there were several Mario characters that "deserved" it over her.

Snake was included via a favor. That much is true, but what is also true, is that now is that he's a veteran. A popular one. A big name with tons of starpower. He attracts a whole new audience.

Really, there are almost no downsides to including him.
But I mean, Snake is a 3rd party character. He's got much more history on PlayStation than he does with Nintendo.
I like his moveset and find him to be a fun and unique addition, but I don't think he deserves it.
You've got me on Ice Climbers.
Roy wasn't deserving at all.
And yes, there are other characters more deserving than Rosalina, but Rosalina not only represents one of the greatest Mario games ever made, but it seems like she is getting a much bigger role in the Mario franchise as of late.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92

Well, aside from having NES roots (which I don't think is all that important) he's one of the biggest mascots in games, more so than Simon Belmont by just a hair. He represents a company that Nintendo has had a long, good relationship with. I actually think his strangeness is the best thing he has going, though. If they had just stuck him in I would have been skeptical, but the way he interacts, with his Otacon calls and the box and everything, really makes it seem like he wound up in a strange game that he wasn't expecting. It's perfectly in line with the bizarre elements of Metal Gear Solid, and most importantly it's fun. Canon is so secondary to the game just being fun.

D

Deleted member

....Metal Gear was nowhere on the Wii, either.

People need to stop using the bull**** "no recent games on Nintendo systems" excuse. Didn't stop Snake in Brawl, won't stop him here.
At least Metal Gear had a recent 3DS port title.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There are quite an array of character who don't deserve to be in Smash Bros.

Jigglypuff really doesn't deserve it as it stands now. Rosalina doesn't as long as the Mario franchise keeps on prioritizing Toad over her. Ice Climbers is hardly the most revolutionary NES classic, in fact the Ice Climbers really only got in because Sakurai liked the game and the other Retros couldn't be recreated faithfully. Roy and Pichu did jack **** to get into Melee too. Sheik is a one-timer, but is still sticking around. Lucario is kind of bordering it, since he's not that special of a fan-favorite in comparison to other Pokémons like Mewtwo.

My point is that while Snake might not "deserve it" (whatever the criterias are for that) he's a unique and fun addition. What's Smash Bros all about? Fun. Is Snake fun? Yes, both in gameplay and also in how much he sticks out like a sore thumb. He's supposed to not fit, just listen to his codexes, there's a big emphasis on how he's the odd one out, and it's cool.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

What had Roy done?
Been Nintendo owned for a start.

I get what you're saying, but let's be honest if the Brawl trailer had starred Sonic instead of Snake how many people would have pegged Snake as the most likely addition to be added to a Nintendo All Stars game? He would of been as big of a sucker punch as Wii Fit Trainer.

Still he's here now whether we want him or not, so we may as well suck it up. I think he's forever going to be a base breaking character though.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I think we should keep talking about the cool things about the characters instead of trying to find reasons to be negative.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
....Metal Gear was nowhere on the Wii, either.

People need to stop using the bull**** "no recent games on Nintendo systems" excuse. Didn't stop Snake in Brawl, won't stop him here.
At least Metal Gear had a recent 3DS port title.
My arguements regarding Metal Gear and Snake aren't based on that. It's based on Konami's recent statements about Nintendo Hardware for me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But I mean, Snake is a 3rd party character. He's got much more history on PlayStation than he does with Nintendo.
Sonic has more history with his Sega consoles than Nintendo consoles.

It doesn't matter who has more of a history. It matters that they have a history.

I like his moveset and find him to be a fun and unique addition, but I don't think he deserves it.
Matter of opinion...

And yes, there are other characters more deserving than Rosalina, but Rosalina not only represents one of the greatest Mario games ever made, but it seems like she is getting a much bigger role in the Mario franchise as of late.
And I doubt either of those reasons were why Sakurai included her.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The problem with based on deserving is well... it's very interpretable. It's a horrific tool to judge chances. Deserving could mean how many games they were in or how detrimental they were in the mythos of the games.

To truly judge, we must use every tool before making our guesses to really get a thought at their chances.

?????????????

Smash Master
If you want to throw around the word "deserving," everyone's interpretation of the word is going to be different. Sakurai has already decided that Snake is "deserving," so I fail to see why that would change.

Even if you wanted to call Snake's inclusion a "favor for a friend," I think it's kinda dumb to believe that that was the only reason Snake was included at all. What I mean is, if Sakurai didn't feel that Snake was worth it, he would've just said "no."

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh well.
I'm sorry I said anything, obviously Snake is the most deserving character out there.
Sorry to have wasted all your time.
If you are a third party who is popular, requested, and unique then you deserve it.
But was Snake requested?
Seriously, I'm asking, I wasn't speculating during Brawl.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Toad is deserving.
He hasn't made it, but he deserves a slot.
If the developer thinks that Toad is deserving, then Toad will get a slot.

Clearly the developer thinks that Toad isn't deserving if he's forced to be Peach's shield.

Sakurai added Snake to Brawl's roster. He added Roy to Melee's roster. He added Pichu to Melee's roster. Sakurai clearly thought that these characters were deserving, or he wouldn't have added them.

So I think you have the wrong idea of what it means to be deserving.

?????????????

Smash Master
But was Snake requested?
Not really, but at that point, NO 3rd party characters were taken into serious consideration. Snake was the first; he was in the initial trailer, like Mega Man this time. He was the first ever 3rd party character to be announced for Super Smash Bros.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Snake is incredibly unique, popular, requested, and appeals to "mature" gamers. So can someone please explain why people think he'll get cut?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well I mean, as of now cuts don't really seem necessary or even incredibly likely.
So I don't think Snake will be cut. I just don't think, imho, that he is deserving of a slot next to Nintendo's best + Sonic and Megaman.
My opinion. My. Opinion.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh well.
I'm sorry I said anything, obviously Snake is the most deserving character out there.
Sorry to have wasted all your time.
No need to get sarcastic laddie!

I'm not trying to make you upset or anything.

But was Snake requested?
He wasn't then.

But then again Sonic and Mega Man were pipe dreams too.

What really matters is that he is loved and wanted NOW.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No need to get sarcastic laddie!

I'm not trying to make you upset or anything.
I know Swamp, It's just that it's wrong to have an opinion on Smashboards.
Sorry if I tried to push it as fact, that isn't what I was trying to do.
Snake is a very cool addition, but I just don't believe that he has enough ties with Nintendo to be MY definition of "deserving".
Konami does though, so that may be a good reason to keep Snake.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I think you have the wrong idea of what it means to be deserving.
To be fair we all have. Or at least the majority.

Let's be honest who the hell thought Rosalina would get in over Bowser Jr.? A small handful of people? Prior to Super Mario 3D World having her as a secret character only the most hardcore Rosalina fans would of thought she had a shot over Toad, Jr or Waluigi all of whom seemed more important to the Mario series.

Either our collective idea of "deserving" is wrong or Sakurai's just got quirky taste. Maybe both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom