• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Waluigi is back as an Assist Trophy, will be the day that every single one of his fans would boycott Smash. jk

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wow, this thread moves fast over the course of a day...

I really liked Wariofan's post a few pages back about how the uniqueness of characters is paramount to them getting in. That being said, the subjective nature of uniqueness kind of speaks for itself; as much as we can talk about it, Sakurai's perception is all that matters in the end (it's part of the Sakurai variable I mention sometimes). With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for how we can approach uniqueness as a concept in our discussions?

Also, I believe it was ThatWasPeachy that added Bubbles to a roster prediction a few pages back? The character itself is a solid retro pick, but her mechanic of constantly moving while onstage is inherently broken, seeing as how it allows any character to just stand in her path and use their AAA jab for an infinite combo. Anyhow, here's a Bubbles moveset you might be interested in; it might inspire you to conceptualize some replacement mechanic to boot.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think uniqueness is something hard to pinpoint, but you know it when you see it. I've made quite a few B Move sets, but my Rosalina one is both my favorite and was the easiest to make. You just sort of know I guess. Every character can be unique, yes.. but it's a lot harder to make an interesting and unique Junior move set than it is a Rosalina, you know?

Or maybe it's all personal opinion. I just think some characters scream unique, while others, that isn't really their redeeming quality.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think you hit the nail on the head shortie. Everyone can be a unique character. I think that when choosing unique characters, it comes down to relativity. Jr.'s graffiti system or Toad's powerup system may be really unique, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't stand out like Rosalina's Luma puppet system.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think it's easier to conceive when something would provide more by judging the character yourself, then forming a picture around that. Ignore sales, "patterns", and other stuff, just focus solely on the character itself. You'll notice details about the character that would provide a blueprint of varies concepts, then you can tweak it to adjust it to whatever seems appropriate yet effective. The thing is that no moveset or playstyle will be 100% correctly predicted, but judgement should provide you with the details to know the direction at least.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Rosalina moveset:

B: Star piece: She throws out one of thse star peices. They can be aimed, and do not disappear like Fox's blaster, but they moves slowly like something would in space They do break when they are hit though.

^B: Zero Gravity: Her third jump allows her to hover, but unlike peach she hovers for a shorter time, and can move 360 degrees. Her A moves can be used in this state, but not her B moves.

vB: Star trap: You know those things in Mario galaxy that act like cannons and blast you places? Well using this move will cause one of these to pop up. on the ground they are at an angle, so they will shoot the opponent, causing them to fly through the air in a "rainbow" type of pattern. If used in the air, the cannon will shoot them towards the ground.

B>: Luma dash: Rosalina flicks her wand and Luma dashes forward a few feet, and swiftly returns to her side. Think ZSS's B>, but slightly higher in the air, (unless she is ducking) and a Luma!

Bowser Junior

B Fireball: It’s well known that the lad can’t exactly breathe fire yet like his daddy, but he still can bring a little bit of spice. His fireballs would move slowly, in a straight line across the level. You can cancel one by spitting another, and upon canceling the first, it will explode slightly. So anyone, say, jumping over it or getting too close will get a minor burn, and do that stupid flinch animation every character does when Bowser uses fire breath on them.

BV Shield Bob-Omb: Junior can sit bomb down, where it will take about three seconds to explode, or, hold down B, and then angle straight up, rainbow the bomb to the left, or rainbow the bomb to the right. Upon contact with anything the bomb will explode. The bombs are going to be similar to Link in explosion style, and look visualy larger/different to the bob-omb item.

B^ Clown Car: Pretty simple. Pressing up B will make Junior appear in his clown car, where you have complete 360 control for about three seconds.

B> Paintbrush: Junior lunges forward jabbing the opponent with the paintbrush. Simply tapping B> will make the move stronger, but if you hold B down, Junior will wiggle the painbrush around, leaving slippery paint on the ground, which can cause you to trip if you run into it. Only one paint slick, bomb, and fireball are allowed on the field at a time.

I just think Rosalina sounds 100% more fun.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
I realized that the whole Rosalina replacing Toad thing is like JigglyPuff replacing Meowth; They both potentially could still be in one day

B:Ice Flower
Kinda like the Fireballs, but quicker and faster. It's weak, and doesn't stay in the air like Luigi's.

^B: Propeller Hat/Block
Not picky on which, but it'd have the same effects in NSMBW

vB: Peach
He pulls Peach out and deflects projectiles/attacks

B>: Blue Turnip
It is weaker, and it isn't pulled from the ground. It goes faster.

A: A A A Combo

^A: Dice
He pulls a Dice upward from the ground; Can be charged

vA: Spin
He spins, like Mario's, but is shorter and weaker, but keeps them in the same position

A>: Racket
Charged Swing

Dash Attack -
Penguin Slide

Final Smash - ??
There's tons of options. You could rep the party games, Toad Brigade; etc and etc.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think uniqueness is something hard to pinpoint, but you know it when you see it. I've made quite a few B Move sets, but my Rosalina one is both my favorite and was the easiest to make. You just sort of know I guess. Every character can be unique, yes.. but it's a lot harder to make an interesting and unique Junior move set than it is a Rosalina, you know?

Or maybe it's all personal opinion. I just think some characters scream unique, while others, that isn't really their redeeming quality.
Here's my opinion on uniqueness.

If you have to think for a long time of a character is unique or not, there are not as unique as others.
If someone is REALLY unique, it jumps right at you.

Oh, I also got ownership of the Reggie thread, so go check that out.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How I've looked at uniqueness to this point has largely been to just brainstorm everything a character could reasonably do within Smash, then base uniqueness off of that. By 'reasonably do,' I mean stuff that isn't completely abstract or peripheral to what that character is at their core. Like, Bowser Jr. using goop is something he would reasonably do, but him pulling out a spiky Durian fruit from Sunshine's marketplaces and kicking it at foes would cross the line for me.

Another possible approach would be to pinpoint what the singular most apparent style a character could have and go off of that as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think an important aspect to "unique" is flat out being able to do something that nobody else can do. Right off the bat, Wonder Red comes off as a perfect candidate.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think an important aspect to "unique" is flat out being able to do something that nobody else can do. Right off the bat, Wonder Red comes off as a perfect candidate.

On top of that, i think having a personality is a plus. Dixie for example, doesn't have anything like Megaman, Olimar, or Rosalina. But she has a uniqueness about her. She's a developed character that for the most part, has a moveset written out for her.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Well, i was expecting this rosalina type of moveset for pokemon trainer.
Every smash bros character have something unique to offer, come on... the only exceptions are clones, being the main reason why people hate them, for not being unique.

If you guys think thats a factor to consider when comes to choose a character, well, is not.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You just know when a character is unique, and whe they're not. Not trying to make it sound like some kind of mystical, esoteric type of knowledge; but it doesn't take a large stretch of the imagination to imagine that a space dragon has more potential than a prince.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, Sakurai brought up that "something only that character can do" criteria, which narrows it down slightly, but not really all that much. I mean, how specific does it have to be? Like, Villager passed the test using a hodge-podge of household material, but that's something that every Animal Crossing character would do, pretty much, and conceptually, Game & Watch already does that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know, but from my prospective I mainly think about how a character would play out basing around abilities a character would use. I tend to not be strict with what is canon or not since Super Smash Bros. tends to bend that rule a lot, instead it's more like common sense based around the character's design and capabilities. Which is why I keep mentioning certain things all the time. Like Takamaru having moves inspired by martial arts like kenjutsu, battojutsu, and laijutsu, plus some ninjitsu. Lip having botankinesis (plant manipulation), along with movements inspired by stuff like cheerleaders and the magical girl archetype.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Well, i was expecting this rosalina type of moveset for pokemon trainer.
Every smash bros character have something unique to offer, come on... the only exceptions are clones, being the main reason why people hate them, for not being unique.

If you guys think thats a factor to consider when comes to choose a character, well, is not.

It hasnt been before, but it might be now, considering how Sakurai said he was going to include more unique characters (paraphrased)

I dont know what that uniqueness fully means, but I dont think its based on "this character wields a weapon that no one else does" but more like "what can that person do with that weapon to make them unique." Sakurai wont add a magic user because we have very few of those, but because the magic they use is the fuel for being unique. At the end of the day, a projectile is still a projectile.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I posted this in the unlockable characters topic in the general forum, but I wanted to post it in a higher traffic area.

Food for thought.

Each character gets their own trailer that shows up in-game without having to unlock them. This has been confirmed in an interview.

So if each newcomer is getting their own trailer without unlocking them, then why have unlockable newcomers? Rosalina's trailer is available right at the beginning of the game, but Rosalina herself has to get unlocked. I can't be the only one thinking that the idea is weird.
Thoughts?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I posted this in the unlockable characters topic in the general forum, but I wanted to post it in a higher traffic area.

Thoughts?

Im thinking every character gets a short cutscene at the end of the story mode, similar to what they do in Soul Caliber arcade mode and the like. The ones we are getting now are unrelated to the story, but will be included, like in Brawl.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Welp had to update my post on the Roster Display thread. Because Mario now has FIVE characters, I thought cutting a lot of other characters might not be so fair. Instead I sadly had to cut a lot of newcomers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Thoughts?
The trailers for the unlockable newcomers probably won't be available right from the start, and will probably play after you get the "Challenger Approaching" screen. Rosalina is a starter, otherwise they'd probably have revealed a starter newcomer instead when it's this early, so her trailer will be available to see right from the start.

Morbi

Scavenger

Thoughts?
That was confirmed in an interview, that is great news! After I saw Rosalina's trailer, I wanted everyone to have one. Anyways, I agree with Wariofan1, you probably have to unlock the trailer by unlocking the character. I doubt they would spoil every single character by having all trailers available from the beginning.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let's say there are 6 Mario, 6 Pokémon, 5 Zelda, 4 Donkey Kong, and 4 Kirby. What would be your choices for each series, if no one was cut from Brawl.
What you want, not predictions.

Hmmm...what we want not what we predict, eh? If it's strictly what we want, then I don't have to go the predictable or reasonable route...
Mario: Toad, surprising no one. Could be Captain or Blue. Would not mind.
Pokemon: Mewtwo(why not) but more personally; Meowth. Possibly with TR support(Arbok/Weezing for some aid).
Zelda: Medli. No seriously. She has no hope in hell, but she's my favourite Zelda character.
DK: Lanky Kong. I don't care who the last one is. Maybe Dixie, maybe K. Rool if you like.
Kirby: Waddle/Bandanna Dee. He's just more appealing to the eye than either Gooey or Dark Matter. Or I guess Rick, who whilst cute is kind of forgettable.

Less likely, but maybe there just aren't secret characters any more.

Seen a few people bring that up. I know to some it's a pain, but I thought the majority enjoyed the satisfaction of unlocking things?

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Every newcommer that was revealed on the Melee site and the Brawl site were always unlocked at the beginning, those that were actually hidden were stated to be unlockable.

Iunno why this would change now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Every newcommer that was revealed on the Melee site and the Brawl site were always unlocked at the beginning, those that were actually hidden were stated to be unlockable.

Iunno why this would change now.
Character reveals were never tied to promotion previously either.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It would be cool to have everything from the start, but having to unlock stuff and having things hidden gives off the impression to me that the game is "bigger", if you know what I mean. ♪

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One thing I've noticed is that people are just assuming that Zelda or other series are going to get newcomers, when that isn't necessarily the case. If you ask me? Zelda doesn't need anybody else right now. Not even Impa. I think she would be redundant. There isn't really much of anything she can do that somebody else couldn't.
Casting strong barriers, stunning people with Deku Nuts, mix of material arts and magic in the moveset? Possibility of having that hugely awesome longsword? Don't say that's impossible, Ganondorf was originally even planned with that sword he used in a demo of an unreleased game, as well as borrow his looks from it.

There's also various other ninja weapons she could use, as Link doesn't only use his Master Sword either in Hyrule Warriors. Big chance Impa doesn't only use her longsword either.

Thus so far Impa has the possibility of having a strong defensive game through her barrier attack, stun opponents with Deku Nuts, she'd be fast and jump high as shown in Skyward Sword, have long ranged attacks with magic, and the possibility of using various weapons. I do not see how she'd be redundant at all. Even if Sheik where to stay.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I recall Sakurai did express his annoyance of people spoiling themselves to the SSE once so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if that opinion also carried over to the characters as many people tend to want to know of who is all playable as soon as possible and all.

I don't mind locked characters as I do find them fun to unlock (so long as they are not long or tedious to do so, I'm looking at you Mewtwo and the last Brawl three) but oh well..... :/

Can we just at least keep the trophies and a few stages for us to unlock.......?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Casting strong barriers, stunning people with Deku Nuts, mix of material arts and magic in the moveset? Possibility of having that hugely awesome longsword? Don't say that's impossible, Ganondorf was originally even planned with that sword he used in a demo of an unreleased game, as well as borrow his looks from it.

There's also various other ninja weapons she could use, as Link doesn't only use his Master Sword either in Hyrule Warriors. Big chance Impa doesn't only use her longsword either.

Thus so far Impa has the possibility of having a strong defensive game through her barrier attack, stun opponents with Deku Nuts, she'd be fast and jump high as shown in Skyward Sword, have long ranged attacks with magic, and the possibility of using various weapons. I do not see how she'd be redundant at all. Even if Sheik where to stay.
Christ, you can't let it go that people have opinions can you?

Love you, Diddy.

So, if you had to choose, would you guys rather have retro characters or new series characters? Personally, I would want more new series characters so that those series would survive and become All-Star franchises.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All characters available from the start? No thank you.
Yeah, if you've seen the Mario & Sonic Olympic titles, you don't unlock any new characters at all. For Smash Bros., there has to at least be a fair number of unlockable characters. The trailers that involve the unlockables could always be placed in a spoilers category if they're available right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom