• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still don't understand why would they pick Geno over more important Mario characters. I doubt that the licensing issues would make it worthwhile.
I don't expect a new Mario character, anyway. (Still would like to see Bowser Jr., though.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Geno doesn't have long time feasibility either. Unless Square Enix sells his rights to Nintendo, Sakurai/Nintendo would have to go through the hassle of licensing him for each future Smash installment. And he wouldn't have the option to cut him either, as Geno's fanbase would probably explode if he managed to get in.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't see why they'd choose Geno over a character from Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. This is including the fact that i wouldn't be able to see him getting picked over more deserving Mario reps.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest i've never understood Geno either. I mean, I think he would be cool. But there is absolutely no reason for him to be in Super Smash Bros.

It turned into a "I like him and think he would be cool, so that must mean he is going to show up" type thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Geno supporters are generally brought up by fans of Super Mario RPG, and they all seem to think of Geno as superious to Mallow. Which is completely true of coarse.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Paper Mario is an RPG character.
Geno is a RPG character.
Geno is the better RPG representative than Paper Mario.
I disagree.

Paper Mario is much more prominent than Geno, not to mention potential licensing issues.

Anyway, I'm not expecting a newcomer for this series at all, so I'm indifferent on both Geno and Paper Mario.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Edit: No Lucario is also a bad call to me.
I see a lot of people cutting Lucario and I don't see the reason why he should be cut even if Mewtwo returns.

Probably only dr mario, and paper mario. At least the others are different beings, we dont need to delve into even more alt versions of already represented characters.

I always thought Smash should have a storyline in the single player listing Dr. Mario as actually a third brother. (When did the REAL Mario have time to go to medical school?) Dr. Mario just never goes on the adventures because he is too busy healing people :).

I kept bringing this up for Brawl as a way to fit Dr. Mario into Smash better and also a way to jump start a new series around him as a different brother.

splat

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of Doctor and Paper Mario, because I don't really like having two characters on the roster that - in my head canon - are the same character. Doctor Mario I especially dislike for this reason - Paper Mario somewhat less so, but I feel that Paper Mario would just ruin Mr. Game and Watch' unique gimmick.
Geno is just a plain awful option, both as a Mario character as well as a third party character. A single supportive appearance and a quick cameo in a different game - that doesn't warrant a playable character at all. I can only hope Sakurai is as confused as I am by Geno's popularity.
Waluigi would probably just get an 'eh?' from me. I like the character (not the concept, the character), but I don't feel he's a valid pick.

On the flipside, I'd be pretty stoked with the other two characters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm not a fan of Doctor and Paper Mario, because I don't really like having two characters on the roster that - in my head canon - are the same character. Doctor Mario I especially dislike for this reason - Paper Mario somewhat less so, but I feel that Paper Mario would just ruin Mr. Game and Watch' unique gimmick.
Geno is just a plain awful option, both as a Mario character as well as a third party character. A single supportive appearance and a quick cameo in a different game - that doesn't warrant a playable character at all. I can only hope Sakurai is as confused as I am by Geno's popularity.
Waluigi would probably just get an 'eh?' from me. I like the character (not the concept, the character), but I don't feel he's a valid pick.

On the flipside, I'd be pretty stoked with the other two characters.
The popularity, and the fact he is appreciated in the first and (personally) best RPG ever. Sheik already represents OoT, Why not Geno too represents it

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All of the Mario RPG's are good. But really, Paper Mario is more relevant to the Mario Series, and the series outshines Mario RPG as a series.

I love Mario RPG too. It is a great game, but in my opinion, no character that is as obscure as Geno should EVER be added to an All-Star fighting game. Ever.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
>Peach uses a frying pan, referencing Super Mario RPG.
>Therefore, Geno should be in Smash.

What a carefully elaborated argument.
Whatever man. :smirk:

@Scolosis, but Geno has popularity despite obscurity, and at the time of Brawl, Sakurai just started adding 3rd parties, Geno probably didn't have enough attention to him yet.

splat

Smash Lord
I always thought Smash should have a storyline in the single player listing Dr. Mario as actually a third brother. (When did the REAL Mario have time to go to medical school?) Dr. Mario just never goes on the adventures because he is too busy healing people :).

I kept bringing this up for Brawl as a way to fit Dr. Mario into Smash better and also a way to jump start a new series around him as a different brother.
Miyamoto explained that he sees the characters in the Mario universe as a band of actors - hence why they're duking it out in one game, then go go-karting in a second. He also told that Mario and Luigi have no last name, so Doctor Mario should be Mario. But as an actor, he could easily he pretend he's one (Drake Ramoray, anyone?)

The popularity, and the fact he is appreciated in the first and (personally) best RPG ever. Sheik already represents OoT, Why not Geno too represent Super Mario RPG.
I still don't really believe Geno's true popularity. Of course, we have a very vocal group on these boards (though in Shortie's latest poll Geno is lagging behind), but I wonder how many people would know of Geno if you'd ask the average SSB4 buyer. Personally I feel - as people grow up; new, young people buying SSB4, too - it's not a lot.
A character appearing in a 'first' game is not a valid reason for a pick: we'd have Ninten otherwise, rather than Ness. Can we expect a Pong Paddle support thread soon?
Also, the second sentence makes very little sense to me: why should a character appear because a different series is represented?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Miyamoto explained that he sees the characters in the Mario universe as a band of actors - hence why they're duking it out in one game, then go go-karting in a second. He also told that Mario and Luigi have no last name, so Doctor Mario should be Mario. But as an actor, he could easily he pretend he's one (Drake Ramoray, anyone?)

I still don't really believe Geno's true popularity. Of course, we have a very vocal group on these boards (though in Shortie's latest poll Geno is lagging behind), but I wonder how many people would know of Geno if you'd ask the average SSB4 buyer. Personally I feel - as people grow up; new, young people buying SSB4, too - it's not a lot.
A character appearing in a 'first' game is not a valid reason for a pick: we'd have Ninten otherwise, rather than Ness. Can we expect a Pong Paddle support thread soon?
Also, the second sentence makes very little sense to me: why should a character appear because a different series is represented?
R.O.B.

Explain the inclusion of Sheik then, and the fact she returned in Brawl.

splat

Smash Lord
He was in Brawl, yes. I have no clue what your point is. Is there a point, or do you just like R.O.B.?

Explain the inclusion of Sheik then, and the fact she returned in Brawl.
Sheik probably returned because Sakurai felt that Sheik brought that little extra to the table. The combination between Zelda and Sheik is great: one slower, somewhat more powerful character and a quick but weaker one really works. It gives Zelda much more flavor, and perhaps Sakurai didn't want to toss out a perfectly fine moveset.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to mention that Sheik and Ocarina of Time are much more prominent in gaming as a whole, and Ocarina of Time is arguably the greatest game ever made. There is reasoning behind Sheik's inclusion.

Geno does not have that going for him. As I said before, Geno is a character that i'm sure everyone finds to be awesome, I myself am included, and I think he would be cool. But should he get in over several other characters? Absolutely not.

I hardly consider him an all star, and neither does Nintendo apparently. Really, Smash Bros. is a paradox, because you have to appeal to fans with the popular characters, but you have to consider the players who know next to nothing about Nintendo. So you have to inform them through other means. This can be done through trophies, stickers, etc...

Geno honestly would be cool...but he isn't relevant, and Nintendo would not get as much out of him as say Megaman or even Pac-Man. It wouldn't even be worth the money to use him in the first place.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
>Compares R.O.B., a figure important to Nintendo's history, to Geno, a character that appeared in one out of many Mario games and is not even owned by Nintendo.

Try harder.

R.O.B. has importance to the company. If not for him, the history of video games would be entirely different. Comparing R.O.B. with Geno makes no sense at all.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not to mention that Sheik and Ocarina of Time are much more prominent in gaming as a whole, and Ocarina of Time is arguably the greatest game ever made. There is reasoning behind Sheik's inclusion.

Geno does not have that going for him. As I said before, Geno is a character that i'm sure everyone finds to be awesome, I myself am included, and I think he would be cool. But should he get in over several other characters? Absolutely not.

I hardly consider him an all star, and neither does Nintendo apparently. Really, Smash Bros. is a paradox, because you have to appeal to fans with the popular characters, but you have to consider the players who know next to nothing about Nintendo. So you have to inform them through other means. This can be done through trophies, stickers, etc...

Geno honestly would be cool...but he isn't relevant, and Nintendo would not get as much out of him as say Megaman or even Pac-Man. It wouldn't even be worth the money to use him in the first place.
If we got Toad, I would get mad Geno wasn't included.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You cannot use retro characters or shock characters to support an argument like that. Geno falls under the "really obscure and irrelevant" category.

R.O.B is important to Nintendo and gaming history. Geno had a playable appearance in ONE game that is almost what...20 years old? Not even close to the same thing.

Granted, retro characters are similar to that, but those characters are used to revive old series that aren't represented previously. Geno, to the casual fan who knows little, would be "Oh look, another Mario character!"

If we got Toad, I would get mad Geno wasn't included.
...Toad is WAAAAAAY more important to the Mario series than Geno ever will be. That is a fact.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
They are the same series. If we are going to consider them different, Paper Mario would still beat out Geno for a Mario RPG genre rep.

I do not understand what is with some fans wanting extremely obscure characters. (this is not directed at you BluePikmin11).

Like it just wouldn't make ANY sense to include some characters.

Sorry if I offend anyone with this list i'm about to make, but characters like KOS-MOS, Geno, some random Pokemon that isn't important to the series in ANY facet, a generic enemy, a character with ONE obscure appearance...etc. You get what I mean.

It is likely NOT going to happen for a lot of characters that fit that description. They would NEVER beat out a character like Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, Shulk, K.Rool, etc... or a character that is relevant to the company. They just wouldn't. It wouldn't make much sense at all.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
the problem with Geno is that a lot of people have no clue who he is to begin with
Exactly. Any player who has never played that game or heard of it would be like "...da fuq is a Geno?"

Same thing with almost every obscure character that people come up with.

splat

Smash Lord
Exactly. Any player who has never played that game or heard of it would be like "...da fuq is a Geno?"

Same thing with almost every obscure character that people come up with.
Honestly, I had the same thing when I first saw Pit. Then I read a little about him and when quite delighted - it's also part of Smash' charm, (re)discovering forgotten characters.
But Geno? Ehhhhhhhhhh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sorry to post again, but I would love it if some of you guys (if you haven't already) go and check out my support threads for Aeron and Zael from Pandora's Tower and The Last Story respectively. Both characters have the ability to be unique, and I think they are underrated and not known very well.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about the chances of waluigi being added to the roster? I think he would be a great char. But is he popular enough? I think he deserves to graduate from trophy status to actual smasher.

FourStar

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about the chances of waluigi being added to the roster? I think he would be a great char. But is he popular enough? I think he deserves to graduate from trophy status to actual smasher.
HELLL NOOOOOO waluigi sucks. i hate that purple *******. i'm pretty sure sakurai will do anything to not let him in the game

D

Deleted member

Waluigi hates you too.
And if Sakurai was willing to "do anything to not let him in the game", he wouldn't have made him an Assist Trophy.

FourStar

Smash Ace

Waluigi hates you too.
And if Sakurai was willing to "do anything to not let him in the game", he wouldn't have made him an Assist Trophy.
dude i meant as a character. mario is going to get a rep no matter what hopefully not waluigi. plus when was waluigi a main character in game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom