• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If I remember correctly Zoroark mainly got on due to Shortie's dislike of Lucario fans, N3ON who did respectively like Zoroark, and Spydr's uncertainty.

After using one on my team in Black 2 Zoroark's gotten a soft spot in heart so I don't have much beef with it anymore. Will, however, probably swap out Zoroark for Chrom on my final roster. Speaking of which where's Toise been? I've been waiting to do some betting.

D

Deleted member

Victini has been considerably pushed more than Zoroark, though. Even now; Pokémon Rumble Wii U has Victini front and center with Pikachu, and the Mystery Dungeon that just came out for 3DS gave Victini a bit of a role while Zoroark got nothing (that I am aware of, anyway).
Neither have been pushed at Lucario's level though, I will admit.

Then again, mascots typically are the result of the fans, when you think about it. Pikachu being the overall mascot of Pokémon was due to his unforeseen popularity (more than intended mascot Clefairy).
We don't really know who 2nd Gen's mascot is, and for all we know, it might have been intended to be Togepi. And yet, Pichu got the luck of the draw and is the closest thing we have for a mascot for it.
We don't really have a mascot for 3rd Gen, though it seems that GF tried to make Absol into one, but failed.
Lucario might have just gotten lucky in that they intended on making Lucario a mascot and succeeded.
Perhaps Zoroark was meant to replicate that success and failed, then Victini came in and is just lukewarm.

It's strange when you get into that level of detail...

D

Deleted member

After using one on my team in Black 2 Zoroark's gotten a soft spot in heart so I don't have much beef with it anymore. Will, however, probably swap out Zoroark for Chrom on my final roster. Speaking of which where's Toise been? I've been waiting to do some betting.
I had a similar change of heart in regards to Zoroark despite not having picked up a 5th gen game, which was because of my assumption that Zoroark and Lucario being briefly promoted as rivals would mean that they were more likely to co-exist together. It was then when I got over my hate for Zoroark and saw him as an interesting addition. My interest in Zoroark has wane over time to more neutral overall, but I'm no longer against his inclusion.

Toise did post on the SSB Wii-U/3DS discussion thread just a few days ago to complain about the off-topic nature of that thread. I think he's waiting until the group returns. If social groups don't return soon, I plan on PMing him with my final, final roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... I'd like to ask everyone some questions regarding Pichu.

1. Joke character status aside, do you think he was a good addition to Melee?
2. If he made it into Smash again, would you support him (assuming he doesn't get in the way of other Pokemon characters)?
3. Would you support him if he was intended to be in Brawl like Mewtwo, Roy and Doc?
4. Why do you personally think he wasn't intended to return like the other Melee characters?
5. Do you think he is the best rep for the second generation?
6. How would you buff him, if you had to?
7. Do you think he should keep the self damaging gimmick?
8. Gameplay aside, do you like Pichu as a character?

Answer away!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Everyone is wants and predict that Megaman will join SSB4. What might happen to all these people if Megaman has failed to occupy a character slot in Smash4?:awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

2. If he made it into Smash again, would you support him (assuming he doesn't get in the way of other Pokemon characters)?
3. Would you support him if he was intended to be in Brawl like Mewtwo, Roy and Doc?
4. Why do you personally think he wasn't intended to return like the other Melee characters?
1. Yes. I believe it was his mostly his status a joke character that dragged him down.
2. Yes.
3. I would support him regardless of that.
4. I believe it was because he was supposed to be a joke character, and his poor reception, and sole reason to add him was to buff the roster. (Unlike Doc (whom Sakurai liked) and Ganondorf (who was the most popular choice for a Zelda rep), I think there was virtually NO other reason to add him.)
5. The best rep I believe would be the Johto trainer, and then Pichu.
6. Remove the self damaging mechanic.
7. See above.
8. Yes, but not a lot... (There are more than 50 pokémon before him on my list of favourite pokémon)

splat

Smash Lord

Answer away!
1. I think he was one of the best-known Pokémon of the second generation, so he was a proper addition in that aspect. Also, him being similar to Pikachu allowed Sakurai to add him quite easily, I reckon. I guess he was added late in development, so between the choice of nothing or Pichu: yes, he was a proper addition to Melee.
2. No. I'd much rather see other faces that aren't related to Pikachu. I can, however, see him appear as DLC (if there will be DLC) at one point. In that case, I'd be fairly content with him appearing.
3. No.
4. Because Pichu doesn't bring much artistic freedom when it comes to new moves. His movepool in Pokémon is still very similar to Pikachu's, and their body structure is similar, too: I believe there's very little room for coming up with new moves without them feeling out of place.
5. Apart from the starters, I think he's in the top three. There's also Marill and Tyrannitar, who I feel represent generation II very well, too.
6. Remove the self damaging gimmick. Or, at least for the most part. It somewhat gives him more flavor, but it's bad to damage yourself if you're not sure if you'll connect your hit. I could very well see him damage himself with his Thunder attack, but minor attacks shouldn't. I think as an agile, little fighter, he'd be strong enough.
7. See 6.
8. I'm quite impartial to him. I've never been too much of a fan of his design. There's cuter Pokémon than Pichu, and there's many cooler Pokémon. Pichu is just... there.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Answer away!
I kind of like him as a challenge character. It was harder to play as him because of the gimmick (although really the self-damaging wasn't that bad). I wouldn't mind seeing him return as long as he doesn't replace other characters. Perhaps distinguish him a little more from Pikachu as well.

As for why he didn't return, he wasn't popular and the team likely saw him as a last mintue plug-in for the game. Moreso than the other clones.

FangnierFernious

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see see Siegfried in this. Along with Nightmare. It woluld be weird to have one and not the other. But still Zoroark is my #1 hope for the game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So, recent rumors brought up that Mewtwo will have a SECOND alternate form in X/Y.
Guess we're back to the beginning.

splat

Smash Lord
These rumors originate from PokéBeach, along with a bunch of other 'information'. Today, some of that information was confirmed - there were names and attacks in the list which showed up on the official Pokémon site today.
I'm thinking we'll be seeing a second form, yes.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I should edit mine to be a bit more realistic; then again, just remove the crazy picks and you have a roster that's under 50 and still very well-packed.

As for that roster, that's a nice roster but Saki over Isa Jo? No Golden Sun rep? Little Mac AND Takamaru? (Well I guess Little Mac appeared in a recent game but still) and to top that off, I don't really feel any shock to anything. The fact there's not even a Namco-Bandai rep surprises me on my own.

Answer away!
1. Honestly yes; especially since I'm about to say something off-tune. I wasn't really appealed in by a lot of Melee's roster.
2. Sure why not. Not totally, and I'd rather prefer 6th gen + Lucario since we'll pack it in and clock it in at 5-6, but hey sure.
3. Honestly, more than Doc and around the same level of at least Roy for me.
4. I think the other Melee characters weren't even intended to return that much asides from Roy, frankly. I guess there's the files, sure, but considering the amount of other things that was pulled in the game I think most of the cuts were early. If I had to guess, not only just clone but the fact that hid time has passed and Lucario's time was there
5. ...eh...
No, but it's for sure not even close to the worst.
6. Keep the self-damaging gimmick but nowhere near as bad and nowhere near as often. Keep him fast. A lot of well ranged attack moves that go further than Pikachu's. Pretty strong attacks. Good enough.
7. Yes but much like many other Gimmicks introduced in Smash...
8. Kinda. He's cute but with Brawl I kinda felt "And on that day, nothing of value was lost". Roy/Mewtwo at least felt a bit more like a loss, but even then, the introduction of Ike/Lucario was good to make up for it. Especially since Brawl missed out on a lot of other series that could have had fantastic newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Answer away!
1. Yes. Perfect joke character.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Probably because he was a joke, something Sakurai wanted Jigglypuff to serve as.
5. Yes; Pichu is arguably the face of the 2nd Gen.
6. I would force myself not to; Pichu is meant to be a joke character.
7. Yes; Joke character.
8. Meh. Don't really care about Pichu itself.

FourStar

Smash Ace
WarioWare is a spin-off. It spun off of the Wario Land series which in turn spun off of Mario's series.

Understand that, and either grow up or leave SmashBoards until you are of the legal age to have an account. Clearly you are under 13.
WTF i'm 16.... i joined the community because:
1. COD is gay and i hated to the stupid people there
2. Melee is what got me into the smash scene
3. People like you were playing on xbox and it was ********
ur probably some 20 something year old living in your mom's basement playing smash and trolling on the internet
well have fun with your life

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, I didn't know games had a sexual orientation. Guess every day is a good day to learn something new, such as the sexuality of a video game.

Apparently, once a person goes to college / university, it becomes criminal to live on one's parents' home, especially when such parents are the ones who finance the studies and notably when the college is in the same city or town as the home you lived before entering college.

The maturity of such comments is also commendable as the people arguing throw insults at one another and talk about subjects completely related to roster predictions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
WTF i'm 16.... i joined the community because:
1. COD is gay and i hated to the stupid people there
2. Melee is what got me into the smash scene
3. People like you were playing on xbox and it was ********
ur probably some 20 something year old living in your mom's basement playing smash and trolling on the internet
I'm 20 and live with my parents, and i'm no loser. Over the summer while I am not at college, I work around 40 hour weeks and actually go outside to do things.

Also, age is simply a number. I've met people older than me, and they act a lot more childish than I ever have. Finally, most people ARE ***holes. Especially on the internet. So I would get used to it.

I know your comment was not directed at me, but i'm just throwing that out there.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I'm 20 and live with my parents, and i'm no loser. Over the summer while I am not at college, I work around 40 hour weeks and actually go outside to do things.

Also, age is simply a number. I've met people older than me, and they act a lot more childish than I ever have. Finally, most people ARE ***holes. Especially on the internet. So I would get used to it.

I know your comment was not directed at me, but i'm just throwing that out there.
but your in college. you have something going for you. this loser i'm talking to probably sits at home and JUST plays video games all day.

basically you and i have a life unlike that other guy

D

Deleted member

FourStar said:
If you want respect from others, you have to treat others with respect. I'm quickly running thin on my patience here.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
but your in college. you have something going for you. this loser i'm talking to probably sits at home and JUST plays video games all day.
>Implying Golden is not in college.

I'll wait for Golden to reply. He knows the perfect way to respond to this. :smirk:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really think that personal insults are unneeded. We're talking about video games here people. Not all that important stuff here.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know I keep pressing for people to view my threads for them, but I'd like to discuss some other characters such as Zael and Aeron.

Clearly, they are not even close to Shulk's popularity. However, when you think of Xenoblade, at least for me, I think of the two other games as well. I'd LOVE for all three to be in, but it is not at all likely. I will admit to that.

Would anyone else be interested in either of them?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd be down with Aeron. Don't know much about Zael or the Last Story myself, so I can't speak for them.

Doesn't Aeron use a whip/chain thing? If he did, he could be the Castlevania rep we never got.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
He uses the Oraclos Chain. He uses it to grab levers, enemies, grapple points, etc... He would definitely be unique compared to the rest of the cast.

Zael has different abilities, but no special weapon of any sorts. If you want to read more about him, I made a thread for him. It MIGHT still be on the first page.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not that Xenoblade doesn't deserve all the accolades and attention it got (it was a great game), but IMO the other two (especially The Last Story) deserved more than they got. Shulk is probably the only character from the three games with a chance at playability, but I hope TLS and Pandora's Tower get their fair share of content in SSB4 as well, at least a few trophies and such, hopefully some music as well (and Zael and Aeron - or other characters - would make pretty decent ATs).

I'm not confident about a follow-up to Pandora's Tower, but hopefully Mistwalker sees enough potential for a Last Story sequel, it still has a lot of room to expand and IIRC it did alright in Japan. Oh well, I'll be satisfied getting Shulk in Smash, but I really do hope for all three IPs to get fair representation in SSB4.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not that Xenoblade doesn't deserve all the accolades and attention it got (it was a great game), but IMO the other two (especially The Last Story) deserved more than they got. Shulk is probably the only character from the three games with a chance at playability, but I hope TLS and Pandora's Tower get their fair share of content in SSB4 as well, at least a few trophies and such, hopefully some music as well (and Zael and Aeron - or other characters - would make pretty decent ATs).

I'm not confident about a follow-up to Pandora's Tower, but hopefully Mistwalker sees enough potential for a Last Story sequel, it still has a lot of room to expand and IIRC it did alright in Japan. Oh well, I'll be satisfied getting Shulk in Smash, but I really do hope for all three IPs to get fair representation in SSB4.
I'm really hoping they release DLC characters, and have a Project Rainfall pack with Zael and Aeron. Both are great games, and I really don't think they are getting enough attention from Smash Fans. Honestly.

PLEASE check out my threads guys. I swear they are great characters with a LOT of Smash Potential.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just for the record, I too am also 20, just got done with my sophomore year, and live with my parents.

sorry but i'm trying to end it now.
This is the internet, arguments never go away until one side admits their mistake, drops the argument entirely, or agrees to disagree. You're not going to end anything by increasing the amount of insults thrown back and forth. Granted none of us know the specifics about the beef between you two, but you both need to wise up before a mod needs to get involved.

Honestly I'm betting on a Xenoblade stage that uses music from nothing but the Operation Rainfall games, while the non-Shulk major characters for the latter two games become Assist Trophies. Granted I have not played any of those games, and I'm positive they could work as characters in Smash, but it doesn't take much to see that Xenoblade has the other two beat in almost, if not every way.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I stayed with my parents in my late 20s and helped them take care of the house while at the same time took my student loans from 100k to 40k range. I mowed, cleaned the house, did all kind of yard work as well as worked a full-time job. I recently bought a nice house and I am getting married. Sometimes you have to stick with your parents and you can be a benefit to them as well.

I still go and watch Walking Dead or ball games with my dad and I helped him mow this Monday despite the fact I don't live there anymore.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just imagine this really awesome cutscene for Smash. For like Subspace Emissary or whatever it will be this time.

Starts with Shulk, and then he starts to get attacked by ugly generic enemies. He starts to get overran, but then Zael and Aeron show up and team up with him. Badass Rainfall trio. ****ing awesome.

D

Deleted member

I know I keep pressing for people to view my threads for them, but I'd like to discuss some other characters such as Zael and Aeron.

Clearly, they are not even close to Shulk's popularity. However, when you think of Xenoblade, at least for me, I think of the two other games as well. I'd LOVE for all three to be in, but it is not at all likely. I will admit to that.

Would anyone else be interested in either of them?
I do hope for some representation (I'm especially hoping for Dance of Death and Invitation to Madness from The Last Story) although I can't say I'm interested in any of the Operation: Rainfall characters.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Where do people get this ****?
Sorry, but I do remember you often complaining about Lucario fanboys at one point or another. If my assumption was wrong then I am sorry.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sorry, but I do remember you often complaining about Lucario fanboys at one point or another. If my assumption was wrong then I am sorry.
I mostly just hated Sausage back then. If you recall. :p And Rain was annoying as well. Both Lucario fans.

I voted for Zoroark because his standings at that point looked much better than anyone could have predicted. I never expected Gen VI to be released so quickly. I still think Zoroark is the number 2 Pokemon choice behind Mewtwo. Now he's just DEFINITELY number two.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I do hope for some representation (I'm especially hoping for Dance of Death and Invitation to Madness from The Last Story) although I can't say I'm interested in any of the Operation: Rainfall characters.
I know that a lot of people probably don't find them interesting. But they surely can be unique and bring something to the Smash Roster that others haven't.

...plus no one is looking at my threads so it makes me sad

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I mostly just hated Sausage back then. If you recall. :p And Rain was annoying as well. Both Lucario fans.

I voted for Zoroark because his standings at that point looked much better than anyone could have predicted. I never expected Gen VI to be released so quickly. I still think Zoroark is the number 2 Pokemon choice behind Mewtwo. Now he's just DEFINITELY number two.
Oh okay, getting fed up with Asage/Sausage totally makes sense. My bad then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom