• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can see a few cuts happening, even if I don't like it. Chances are that it'll be either Toon Link, Ike, Wolf, and/or Lucario. Lucario is the most likely of these four if you ask me, as Sakurai or the Pokemon Company might see a 5th or 6th Gen Pokemon as more interesting/important. Ike's only problem would be if Chrom or some other Awakening character is seen as more important, but he has a unique moveset regardless. Toon Link will likely stay, but maybe he will only get cut due to time constraints. Same goes for Wolf.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The only clones are falco and toon link currently (ganon to a certain extent as well). Those are the only two I actually could see getting cut if anyone. As for ganon they need to freaking get creative and make him a cool dark magic/sword/powerhouse moveset, its not that hard...

A clone that got cut that I can see returning is roy though due to his popularity and recent appearance, I think he will be the only new FE character and will have his moveset unclonified.
OMG they both shoot blue/purple balls. They MUST be the same!
You know who else shoots blue/purple balls? Samus. Guess Lucario and Mewtwo are the same as her too.

EDIT: In other words, there is little in common with Mewtwo/Lucario.
If you actually played as the two characters, you'd see it almost instantly.
I don't see Roy going in. His recent appearance was just DLC. And I can't be too sure, but among the lords in Fire Emblem he is not close to the most popular. Awakening has been the most successful game in FE History. It's the first to break the million mark. I would say they have priority.

When I first played as Lucario in Brawl, I felt they were similar then. Their physics feel similarly floaty, body type, they share some of the same moves. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out similarities. And there is definitely nothing wrong was being called the spiritual successor to one of most powerful Pokemon in generation 1.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I don't see Roy going in. His recent appearance was just DLC. And I can't be too sure, but among the lords in Fire Emblem he is not close to the most popular. Awakening has been the most successful game in FE History. It's the first to break the million mark. I would say they have priority.

When I first played as Lucario in Brawl, I felt they were similar then. Their physics feel similarly floaty, body type, they share some of the same moves. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out similarities. And there is definitely nothing wrong was being called the spiritual successor to one of most powerful Pokemon in generation 1.

Agreed, they both felt similar, except that some attacks with Lucario had more of a physical interaction (such as his DownB counter).

D

Deleted member

They only share 2 moves.

TWO.

They share less moves than Kirby and Jigglypuff, and Jiggs is far from being considered a clone by any stretch.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think I found our next big character. The scuba diver from Endless Ocean! He can use fish and other sea creatures for his attacks. He can ride on a dolphin as a recovery. He can kick sea turtle shells, throw pufferfish like a grenade and summon fish to attack as a side special. Physical attacks can consist of using a sword fish, electric eels, and smacking you with a bass. Non creature related attacks can consist of diving into opponents, water based attacks, using his oxygen tank, using items he finds undersea, and could use his jet ski as a dash attack. His final smash could be summoning a shark to attack or a blue whale to push you off the stage. YEAH!

Attachments

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
They only share 2 moves.

TWO.

They share less moves than Kirby and Jigglypuff, and Jiggs is far from being considered a clone by any stretch.

Going to have to disagree with you here. Each of their smash attacks are quire similar if you remove the *aura* ability that Lucario has which can extend his reach. (Besides the DSmash, totally different attack)

D

Deleted member

Going to have to disagree with you here. Each of their smash attacks are quire similar if you remove the *aura* ability that Lucario has which can extend his reach.
Only F-Smash.

Mewtwo's U-Smash is a multi-hitting geyser of dark energy. Lucario's is a quick burst of Aura as he twirls around.
Mewtwo's D-Smash is a focused blast of dark energy right in front of him. Lucario's is a push of Aura on both sides.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Agreed, they both felt similar, except that some attacks with Lucario had more of a physical interaction (such as his DownB counter).
They only share 2 moves.

TWO.

Yeah. Maybe saying they share a similar moveset is a wrong way to say it, as it evokes the idea of clones. They share a similar fighting style. And teleport had a similar effect to extreme speed.

I would love Bomberman, but much like Mega Man, I have no intention of seeing him punch. I think he may have punched in a few games, but I don't think I played them. Or I probably hated them.

For square enix characters, the only one I would want to see it is Crono. But the Chrono series hasn't received real support from Square Enix in years (I mean a new game). I remember a while back gamefaqs had a character contest and it came down to Link and Crono. Or Crono and Mario. And I would like to see how that plays out in Smash. For all those who want Goku, he would be the closest we could get.

D

Deleted member

Only connection Teleport and Extremespeed have are that they don't damage opponents.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Only connection Teleport and Extremespeed have are that they don't damage opponents.

He does make some good points as the actual mechanics between the two characters differ. Its been a long time since I've played Melee so I had to look up the move lists between the two characters. There is an illusion of similarity between the two due to them being in the same franchise and both have psychic aspects.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I would like them to look into replacing his b over move in the next game, (and maybe make the size increase of aura sphere bigger.)

Roy has actually been in a smash game, and is popular, this is why I put him in over chrom priority wise.

Sry for double.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
He does make some good points as the actual mechanics between the two characters differ. Its been a long time since I've played Melee so I had to look up the move lists between the two characters. There is an illusion of similarity between the two due to them being in the same franchise and both have psychic aspects.
I hadn't played Diamond and Pearl yet when Brawl came out, so when I played him, I looked him up right away. I was shocked that he wasn't a psychic type, but rather a steel and fighting combination.
I probably won't agree with you because it's something I feel when I play as Lucario. I just don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out similarities or Lucario having any basis in Mewtwo.
Roy has actually been in a smash game, and is popular, this is why I put him in over chrom priority wise.
Roy isn't as popular among FE fans because most of us haven't played his game since it never was received worldwide release. I don't think being in a Smash game prior benefits him because they won't carry over anything from Melee like they did in Brawl. The 4 development will be based off Brawl since the Wii is more similar to the Wii U than the GC is. I feel like Sakurai looks at each series individually, and ask Intelligent Systems for input as well. I can't imagine they would put anyone without putting forward their Awakening rep as well. FE deserves a new rep and unfortunately Roy isn't new.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy is pretty much one of the most popular Lords in Japan, and the game he comes from is cited as one of the most praised titles in the series. I guess the misconception of Roy being unpopular has to do with the western Fire Emblem fanbase hating Roy for being pretty flimsy. But keep in mind that you shouldn't really look too deep into that, generally speaking the western fanbase like to praise the more powerful Lords like Sigurd and Ike. They hate Leif, Marth, and Roy in particular due to their weaknesses.

In the case of Super Smash Bros., it's much more broad. While Roy is still more popular in Japan in the context of Super Smash Bros., he still has a decent sized fanbase in western territories too.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I hadn't played Diamond and Pearl yet when Brawl came out, so when I played him, I looked him up right away. I was shocked that he wasn't a psychic type, but rather a steel and fighting combination.

I probably won't agree with you because it's something I feel when I play as Lucario. I just don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out similarities or Lucario having any basis in Mewtwo.

Roy isn't as popular among FE fans because most of us haven't played his game since it never was received worldwide release. I don't think being in a Smash game prior benefits him because they won't carry over anything from Melee like they did in Brawl. The 4 development will be based off Brawl since the Wii is more similar to the Wii U than the GC is. I feel like Sakurai looks at each series individually, and ask Intelligent Systems for input as well. I can't imagine they would put anyone without putting forward their Awakening rep as well. FE deserves a new rep and unfortunately Roy isn't new.
Roy is now more iconic in the u.s thanks to melee and if you look at the japan polls Roy is near the tippy top, I almost guarantee he will be included, the dlc for awakening also increases that confidence.

Roy is pretty much one of the most popular Lords in Japan, and the game he comes from is cited as one of the most praised titles in the series. I guess the misconception of Roy being unpopular has to do with the western Fire Emblem fanbase hating Roy for being pretty flimsy. But keep in mind that you shouldn't really look too deep into that, generally speaking the western fanbase like to praise the more powerful Lords like Sigurd and Ike. They hate Leif, Marth, and Roy in particular due to their weaknesses.

In the case of Super Smash Bros., it's much more broad. While Roy is still more popular in Japan in the context of Super Smash Bros., he still has a decent sized fanbase in western territories too.
I just wish Lyn could get in somehow since she was the first Western FE lord :(.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

I can only speak as a Western FE fan. I'm sure I'd like Roy better if his game was released in the US. He was main in Melee after all. And as a fan, yeah, that's how I look at lords. How useful they are to me in the game, which is a very logical way to look at characters in a series like FE. I can never find a poll of FE Lords in Japan. I always thought Geneology of Holy War was generally thought of the best game until Awakening. Awakening has been the best critical released game in the series, as well as breaking the million mark. It also beat out Blazing Sword in the most important poll, sales, even if you just look at just Japan. There is much more working towards Awakening and its potential rep than there is working against it. It has definite momentum.
Roy is now more iconic in the u.s thanks to melee and if you look at the japan polls Roy is near the tippy top, I almost guarantee he will be included, the dlc for awakening also increases that confidence.
The DLC was one lord for each of the main games. I don't think it hasn't effect on his chances for Smash. Lyn was DLC as well. The DLC for Awakening was a great deal of nostalgia for the series and fanservice.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'd be so okay with Roy getting his redesign from Awakening. All I'd change is make his generic sword from the artwork the Sword of Seals, then I'd main him so hard.

I'm confident though we are getting Chrom and Marth and that's all though... Ideally I'd have it be Marth, Roy, Ike, and Robin but oh well. One could dream.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Idk
I'd be so okay with Roy getting his redesign from Awakening. All I'd change is make his generic sword from the artwork the Sword of Seals, then I'd main him so hard.

I'm confident though we are getting Chrom and Marth and that's all though... Ideally I'd have it be Marth, Roy, Ike, and Robin but oh well. One could dream.
Idk I'm pretty sure we will get Marth, Ike, Roy for sure and maybe chrom or lyn.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
4 reps for fire emblem seems like a lot but I'm not a huge fan of the series I only played the first one in the U.S. with Lyn, so maybe I'm biased here. It's honestly the series I struggle the most with when trying to predict the next roster.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Idk
Idk I'm pretty sure we will get Marth, Ike, Roy for sure and maybe chrom or lyn.
Roy got cut from the last game. In the year since, I believe Roy has gotten less popular rather than more, so his chances have decreased. Because that's general what happens when a character doesn't have a new game release. And he's also competing against newer, fresh characters whose game saved the franchise. So he has less of a chance than he did before.

In terms of third party characters, I would want to see Crono, Lloyd, and Bomberman in that order. Crono and his game were just so iconic and important to game history. I know he's not likely but he is the third party character I want to see the most. In predicting a third party member I think it has to be Pacman. I just don't like him because honestly non 2D Pacman always has been a little weird and award to me.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Roy got cut from the last game. In the year since, I believe Roy has gotten less popular rather than more, so his chances have decreased. Because that's general what happens when a character doesn't have a new game release. And he's also competing against newer, fresh characters whose game saved the franchise. So he has less of a chance than he did before.

In terms of third party characters, I would want to see Crono, Lloyd, and Bomberman in that order. Crono and his game were just so iconic and important to game history. I know he's not likely but he is the third party character I want to see the most. In predicting a third party member I think it has to be Pacman. I just don't like him because honestly non 2D Pacman always has been a little weird and award to me.
I'd be so okay with Crono, he'd be my top pick for a Square Enix Rep, same goes for Lloyd as far as Namco reps go. I just don't think either is very likely sadly.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
At this point in time I think we have literally discussed everything. All we really do is go in circles and say the same thing when someone new comes along. I wish there would be another update soon.:facepalm:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

His design in Awakening makes him the character I want most in SSB4!

MagnesD3

Smash Master

You've also got to remember that roy was barely cut, and fully intended to be playable along with mr. mewtwo.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
At this point in time I think we have literally discussed everything. All we really do is go in circles and say the same thing when someone new comes along. I wish there would be another update soon.:facepalm:
Okay, let me just say this

Like a million people have said, "oh, Ike, Lucario, Toon, Link, and Wolf might not come back." Thank you for your opinions. I don't agree in the slightest, but more importantly I see this sentence posted like 4 times per page, can we PLEASE talk about something else? Or at least different characters.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I think we just need to start over. Leave our circle of little conversational circles and start at the very beginning of this circle of circles.

I heard Sakurai is making a 4th Smash Bros. game

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'll start off by saying mewtwo's transformation needs to be earned in some fashion other than the final smash, his awakened form would make his moves better all around through via speed, hitbox's, damage, etc. you stay in awakened form till you die and then you have to earn it again.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'll start off by saying mewtwo's transformation needs to be earned in some fashion other than the final smash, his awakened form would make his moves better all around through via speed, hitbox's, damage, etc. you stay in awakened form till you die and then you have to earn it again.

Given that it appears he has two new forms (an X and Y form)
A transformation that effects his stats would be most unique.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Sakurai latest statement, indicate that he will be bareley be able to include all Brawls veterans, what make you guys think he will include a forgotten Roy? people will be more upset if a character from Brawl got removed then not seeing Roy, the only character from melee that has a chance to come back is none other than Mew Two, and the ones who have choices in Pokemon inclusion are The Pokemon Company not Sakurai....

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Sakurai latest statement, indicate that he will be bareley be able to include all Brawls veterans, what make you guys think he will include a forgotten Roy? people will be more upset if a character from Brawl got removed then not seeing Roy, the only character from melee that has a chance to come back is none other than Mew Two, and the ones who have choices in Pokemon inclusion are The Pokemon Company not Sakurai....
It seemed like he was talking about every single character, including Pichu, Dr.Mario, and Young Link. Roy also isn't completely forgotten either. IS has said that if they were to make a remake of another game it would be of FE6, so they can properly introduce Roy to everyone. Roy is also the 4th most wanted character for SSB4 now and I believe he is the 2nd most wanted in Japan.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
He never said just brawl, he said he cant imagine being able to include every character throughout the smash bros. series up to this point, and that he would even try to do that if he can..

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It seemed like he was talking about every single character, including Pichu, Dr.Mario, and Young Link. Roy also isn't completely forgotten either. IS has said that if they were to make a remake of another game it would be of FE6, so they can properly introduce Roy to everyone. Roy is also the 4th most wanted character for SSB4 now and I believe he is the 2nd most wanted in Japan.
I haven't seen any data indicating Roy is anywhere close to the most wanted characters for SSB4. If there is I'd like to see them. In terms of any fan polls I've seen in forums, he's usually behind the usual set of newcomers at the very least.

And I think too many people have taken that forbidden 7 and game data stuff and made their own facts from it. All that we know is that game data is on the disk. We don't know why it's there and we probably will never know. The only reason we know it is because someone hacked into Brawl. It's game data not meant to be seen.

We only have one game to go on in terms of cuts, so there's no such thing as realistic cuts. This game could establish a different pattern of cuts, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I haven't seen any data indicating Roy is anywhere close to the most wanted characters for SSB4. If there is I'd like to see them. In terms of any fan polls I've seen in forums, he's usually behind the usual set of newcomers at the very least.

And I think too many people have taken that forbidden 7 and game data stuff and made their own facts from it. All that we know is that game data is on the disk. We don't know why it's there and we probably will never know. The only reason we know it is because someone hacked into Brawl. It's game data not meant to be seen.

We only have one game to go on in terms of cuts, so there's no such thing as realistic cuts. This game could establish a different pattern of cuts, but we'll just have to wait and see.
I never said anything about the forbidden 7.

Look at Shortie's newest poll for Roy's placement.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I never said anything about the forbidden 7.

Look at Shortie's newest poll for Roy's placement.
I was looking at the top of the thread poll results. I see the current survey results now.

This is unrelated, but in terms of polls, popular returners have an advantage over newcomers since they already have a moveset and playstyle people are familiar with. With them, people are voting not just a character but a certain familiarity. Not that they don't like the character, but it's something you can't remove from your voting decision. But this isn't something you can really fix, it's just as an observation I thought of.

No I was referring to other people's comments basically everywhere on this thread.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Lucario is a conceptual clone of Mewtwo. There moves are quite similar as a generality, with notable exceptions. For all intents and purposes, Lucario is mewtwo's clone and replacement.

It's like folks who say that Falco isn't a clone of fox in Melee because he plays differently..Well.. Sure he plays differently (shine shoots up instead of down to the side!) but he's an obvious clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom