• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I've been thinking...

Skull Kid has tons of popularity during pre-Brawl.

Do you think he's an AT because of that pre-Brawl popularity?

Maybe Sakurai is really looking at pre-Brawl popularity. We know he looked at it for Megaman.
Potentially yes, he did dip into pre-Melee popularity for characters like Diddy and Pit for Brawl, so that along with what we do know about Megaman definitely lends to the possibility that he did it again for this game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
After the Skull Kid thing this morning, i decided to make some changes to my roster and make it more prediction than wants.
What does everyone think?
View attachment 4887

While all those newcomers are extremely plausible (Except for Reggie and a SE rep), and 13 is certainly an OK number, there's just something...boring about that kind of roster.

I mean, Takamaru and Mac are fine with me. I'd lament the lack of K. Rool like nobody's business, especially with the addition of Dixie. I dunno. Something about it feels off. Something seems to copy-paste about rosters like this, and there's an unsettling amount of "It playing to everyone's expectations, and to a lesser degree, pessimisms."

That said, I do like it, generally. Although if people think they're going to actually include Reggie, what exactly is wrong with you?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been thinking...

Skull Kid has tons of popularity during pre-Brawl.

Do you think he's an AT because of that pre-Brawl popularity?

Maybe Sakurai is really looking at pre-Brawl popularity. We know he looked at it for Megaman.
Considering Sakurai does tend to go back for character popularity, and he's already stated he did so again this time, yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that Brawl-era popularity will effect the game in some capacity. I mean it already has apparently. To what extent will be the interesting part.

That said, iirc while Skull Kid had some popularity, Midna, Vaati, and Toon Link all still had more, so personally I wouldn't chalk up pre-Brawl popularity as a main factor in Skull Kid's inclusion.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It's a really good roster, but I have two issues. One is that there is no sufficient Square Enix representative and that Sakurai will not add a character based on what company they are from. The second is Tingle, I really fail to see why he should be in when he never had an important role in Zelda which is usually what Zelda characters should have. I guess it's possible, but I don't see it happening. And Reggie FTW.
In my eyes, Tingle is basically the Toad of Zelda.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How popular was Vaati though? I know Midna and Toon Link were very highly requested during pre-Brawl (One was mainly very wanted in the West while the other was mainly very wanted in the East) though I can't quite remember how popular he was.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
While all those newcomers are extremely plausible (Except for Reggie and a SE rep), and 13 is certainly an OK number, there's just something...boring about that kind of roster.

I mean, Takamaru and Mac are fine with me. I'd lament the lack of K. Rool like nobody's business, especially with the addition of Dixie. I dunno. Something about it feels off. Something seems to copy-paste about rosters like this, and there's an unsettling amount of "It playing to everyone's expectations, and to a lesser degree, pessimisms."

That said, I do like it, generally. Although if people think they're going to actually include Reggie, what exactly is wrong with you?
Well this roster is supposed to e prediction and not wants.
If it was what I want there would be many changes.

And as I said before, Nintendo seems to be advertising Reggie a lot and making him say my body is ready whenever they have the chance. So I wouldn't be surprised if he was in.
Even Reggie himself said to like te idea of him in smash and tweeted that "My #finalsmash would be MY BODY IS READY SLAM!"

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You need glasses, he is definitely the wario of zelda.
I mean in the role he plays, not looks.
In looks he is definitely the Wario/Waluigi.

But I mean is that he is a recurring character, but plays a minor role even though he appears very often.
So my point is that if Toad is a likely choice for smash 4, so is Tingle.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In my mind, I can only see a few things happen later on tonight.
1) Cranky gets revealed for Donkey Kong, and Reggie gets booed off the stage
2) New Trailer for "X". If we're lucky, we may get a trailer for Shulk in Smash Bros.
3) Bayonetta news
4) Straight up Smash Bros. news

I'd say that 2 and 3 are the most likely, simply because the demographic for this event is hardcore, "I get hard off of violence" dudebro gamers. Even Reggie has to know that. They can't be THAT stupid. It's SPIKE!

Or as a long shot possibility, we get a Snake trailer. That's about it.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
2) New Trailer for "X". If we're lucky, we may get a trailer for Shulk in Smash Bros.
3) Bayonetta news

I'd say that 2 and 3 are the most likely, simply because the demographic for this event is hardcore, "I get hard off of violence" dudebro gamers. Even Reggie has to know that. They can't be THAT stupid. It's SPIKE!

Guessing 2 or 4. I'd laugh if 1 happened.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
3) Bayonetta news

I also say 2 and 4. I don't think Reggie would talk about Bayonetta tonight. Mostly because it's Third-party.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I mean in the role he plays, not looks.
In looks he is definitely the Wario/Waluigi.

But I mean is that he is a recurring character, but plays a minor role even though he appears very often.
So my point is that if Toad is a likely choice for smash 4, so is Tingle.
Tingle is supposed to be an "anti-link", selfish and only searching for ruppes.
Toad is a mario's character whit no real relation to mario other than his appearances helping you in the games, toad is actually closer to an impa's role.

Just because they serve as a similar "role" in helping you in your adventure doesnt mean what they represent is the same, and what they represent is what trully matter in smash.

I even think that tingle have the same chances in brawl as toon link, and is because he is not a zelda character only.
So, yeah.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I might just be my brain really wanting it, but I think it can be a Smash Bros trailer, maybe making it look tougher to appeal to the demographic.

Or maybe it's Miyamoto's new IP (he has said he has interest in making a FPS, so maybe it can appeal).

My last guess is Zelda U news. It was planned to be shown at E3 and then Comic-con. They have to at least SAY something before E3 2014!

My last guess is Metroid (because guns, robots suits, monsters, and boobs. That is basically everything this types of gamers love) or Starfox, but I think they would and should save that for E3.

Maye Cranky Kong, but no one would like that.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
3) Bayonetta news

2 3 and 4 would all excite me, but I think 2 and 3 are the most likely. Nintendo has to realize that DK isnt a game that this demographic plays. If he gets booed, I wont be aurprised in the slightest.

I could see Reggie being like "whats wrong with you?" If he does gwt booed, which is likely because your average dudebro gamer hates on Nintendo bevause it aint Xbox or PS

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Oho, hearing any news about Miyamoto's new IP would be so cool!
This is where it gets confusing.

They said it was a previously-announced game. But I'm curious: do they mean a game like Zelda Wii U or the new IP, where it has been confirmed to be working on, or is it an already-announced game with a title and everything?

It all depends. If they meant the former, I would say Zelda Wii U. If they mean ones that are already legitimately announced, then I suspect X or Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the options are:
Smash
X
Bayonetta
Donkey Kong

Honestly, Smash would cause the most hype. Well, if they announce a character everyone knows and loves that is. Tbh, I feel that nostalgic newcomers such as Little Mac would be okay.
And whether they know him or not, Ridley would definitely cause interest.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I really think we will get something about smash, luckily more than just miis.
Yoshi will be nice, and who says yarn yoshi cant have violence?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The only thing that would be okay thats DK related that would actually be acceptable is announcing King k rool as the 4th playable character or featured somewhere in DKCTF, and hes in smash.

That would bring down the house.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
No one thinks Pokken Fighters will be revealed? It's been technically revealed already.
Let me get this straight, do you know what is "Target" in marketing? Is a group of people that have the same interests and needs, do you think the Target from the VGX would care for the following games DK: TF, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart or even Pokken Fighters? No, so that leaves Bayonetta 2, X, FE X SMT or Smash Bros, probably will be Smash or Bayonetta 2 becuase they are closer to a near release than FE X SMT or X.

.n_n.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let me get this straight, do you know what is "Target" in marketing? Is a group of people that have the same interests and needs, do you think the Target from the VGX would care for the following games DK: TF, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart or even Pokken Fighters? No, so that leaves Bayonetta 2, X, FE X SMT or Smash Bros, probably will be Smash or Bayonetta 2 because they are closer to a near release than FE X SMT or X.

.n_n.
>.> Meh I guess you're right, they'll probably reveal a game that will appeal to everyone.

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
I have a good idea for a prediction contest. But I know there are already a billion of them. I have a feeling that my idea has already been done, or if it hasn't, that nobody would be interested in a new competition. Allow me to explain in brief, and people in the know can point me to the likely already-existing competion.

Naturally, you predict which characters will be included or added and which characters will be removed or replaced. You're rewarded points for guessing accurately and deducted points for guessing inaccurately. You create your roster in a spreadsheet. You assign each character to a column according to your confidence in his or her inclusion or removal. If you are highly confident that Yoshi will return, for example, you could assign him three points. If, in the future, Yoshi is indeed confirmed, you will be awarded three points. However, if Yoshi fails to make the cut and is absent from Smash 4, then you will be deducted three oints. Likewise, you may predict that certain characters will be removed from Smash 4. You may assign these characters to the red columns in the spreadsheet, again, according to your confidence in their removal, however much you're willing to gamble. For example, I predict that Lucas will be removed from Smash 4. I'm fairly confident in this, so I assigned him two points as a removal. If Lucas is absent from Smash 4, I am awarded two points. If I was wrong and Lucas is playable in Smash 4, then I am deducted two points. The entire competition is based on Risk/Reward. Therefore, you may include or exclude however many characters you want. You're trying to predict the final roster as closely as possible. You could just make a list of 89 characters and give them all three points for inclusion. But every character that doesn't make the cut will cost you three points, and you'll likely end in negative points.

Here is my spreadsheet. I also have a template version for competition purposes.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqfioiM30awydGlpa2pMV2ZaeDFHNzlUaC1ZekdIa0E&usp=sharing

Thanks.

Gune

Smash Lord
Let me get this straight, do you know what is "Target" in marketing? Is a group of people that have the same interests and needs, do you think the Target from the VGX would care for the following games DK: TF, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart or even Pokken Fighters? No, so that leaves Bayonetta 2, X, FE X SMT or Smash Bros, probably will be Smash or Bayonetta 2 becuase they are closer to a near release than FE X SMT or X.

.n_n.
Actually a lot of people at VGX would be interested in pokken fighters its been one of the things people in the pokemon series young and old have been wanting for a long time, but I potentially doubt it since game freak is being super secretive lately.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If it's going to be something from Nintendo at a SpikeTV event, it's going to be something to cater to the hardcore demographic. That would likely mean Bayonetta 2, "X", or even Smash Bros or Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom