• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My hype for ssb4 is slowly dying.
It's weird. I'm more hyped for a fan game I'M making, than the actual SSB4
Really? My hype is just fine. I mean, I wish they would show off some nicer pictures than an interaction between two characters like they did almost all of October. But it seems to be looking good as far as the month goes. I'm looking into things, but I've already seen three good pictures out of November's three days of pictures: a broad confirmation that the game will look even better as time goes on, a new item, and a small "analysis" of sorts of a moveset for the Villager. It's shaping up to be a good month so far.

Watch, they'll post a picture tomorrow of a character just standing on the battlefield stage: "Pic of the day. Just look at Fox's teeth in the sunset on the Battlefield!"

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If Snake hadn't been in Smash, I doubt Sonic would have even been considered.
Actually, Sakurai would still have had that vote, and Sonic would have probably won.
But we are not talking about Sonic right now.
We are talking Ryu, who as I said, wouldn't really fit.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's an exception.
If Kojima and Sakurai had not been friends, I doubt Snake would even be considered for smash.
I disagree. If we had to have only absolutely legendary Third-Parties we'd be limited to pretty underwhelming characters. Like the overrated Pac-Man. I think you just need to be popular and requested. Both of which Snake is.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Actually, Sakurai would still have had that vote, and Sonic would have probably won.
You know he can be toned down you know to make him less violent...
.n_n.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I disagree. If we had to have only absolutely legendary Third-Parties we'd be limited to pretty underwhelming characters. Like the overrated Pac-Man. I think you just need to be popular and requested. Both of which Snake is.
And have decent ties to Nintendo.
If Sakurai had chosen a Konami rep, I think he might have chosen Simon Belmont or Bomberman.

You know he can be toned down you know to make him less violent...
.n_n.
I know, but he wouldn't be the same.

?????????????

Smash Master
No, third party characters wouldn't be considered AT ALL because Snake was the first one. He broke that mold. 3rd party characters would've been completely ineligible to vote for.

But no, we aren't talking about Sonic. "Fitting" is a horrible argument in a cross-over fighting game; it's already blending styles. Kirby and Samus together isn't surreal as is?

The only reason you've said that Snake works and Ryu doesn't is because Snake was "an exception." Got anything else? Because an "exception" to any rule means that a "rule" does not exist.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ridley is too dark and violent in Smash. Hez scaaareee and killz peepl!!!!

And have decent ties to Nintendo.
If Sakurai had chosen a Konami rep, I think he might have chosen Simon Belmont or Bomberman.
But, he did choose a Konami rep and at the time Bomberman wasn't Konami. Although Bomberman deserved it way more than Snake.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
No, third party characters wouldn't be considered AT ALL because Snake was the first one. He broke that mold. 3rd party characters would've been completely ineligible to vote for.

But no, we aren't talking about Sonic. "Fitting" is a horrible argument in a cross-over fighting game; it's already blending styles. Kirby and Samus together isn't surreal as is?

The only reason you've said that Snake works and Ryu doesn't is because Snake was "an exception." Got anything else? Because an "exception" to any rule means that a "rule" does not exist.
I think Ryu could be toned down, but he wouldn't be the same.
I do feel Sakurai made snake somehow fit.
I just don't really like the idea of Ryu in smash. That's all.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ridley can't get in. He's too anorexic...oh, wait he got super buff in Other M. He's totally confirmed.

?????????????

Smash Master
I do feel Sakurai made snake somehow fit.
I just don't really like the idea of Ryu in smash. That's all.
That's fine, but just say that. That's something I say in my videos all the time, right? If you don't like the idea, just say that...but don't make up a reason why it "can't" happen.

For Snake, they took away the knife and guns. Ryu would be even easier; he could retain all of his weapons and powers. All you're taking away is blood.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Even though you said that Sakurai made Snake fit, Snake was also toned down quite a bit, especially in the fact that he doesn't use any close-range weapons or guns, which is quite a tone-down from what we usually see Snake as, especially since his most-used weapon is a pistol for Solid Snake and a Knife for Naked Snake.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Snake snaps people's necks. WHY THE **** ARE WE TALKING ABOUT CHARACTERS BEING TOO VIOLENT AND UNABLE TO BE TONED DOWN!?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Snake snaps people's necks. WHY THE **** ARE WE TALKING ABOUT CHARACTERS BEING TOO VIOLENT AND UNABLE TO BE TONED DOWN!?
You think Snake snapping necks is bad, Wario jabs people in the crotch. Creates unfortunate implications if he's jabbing a character like Pit or Ness.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Because if you change into something that makes you more powerful, then why change back? It's still Mewtwo, but with better powers and better stats. He's completley superior and that's why it's a limited form.
In the Pokémon games, sure. But it doesn't have to be the same way in Smash Brothers.

Ganondorf could literally kill half of the cast in Smash Brothers very easily if he was in the Zelda games, but he doesn't in Smash (in fact a lot of the cast can KO him easily instead). His abilities aren't the same in Smash as they are in Zelda to make sure that the characters are (mostly) balanced and that they can be able to fight against each other without the one of them being seen as over powered, which basically makes your claim that people would only play as Mega Mewtwo Y crumble. You don't have to give Mega Mewtwo Y all of the perks it has in the game.

We argue that character canon isn't applied to Smash Brothers when it comes to supporting Ridley when we bring up Olimar, Kirby, Pikachu, Charizard, and Bowser's size. So in this case, Ganondorf's abilities (or even Mewtwo's in Melee as a better example) were not used to their fullest potential as shown in their game's canon. So why would this be changed now? If Sakurai wanted to make a Mewtwo that can switch forms to change how fast you move, how much you weigh, the damage of physical attacks, the damage of projectiles, etc. he'll do it. Hasn't stopped him from making Ganondorf swordless and poking fun at people who want him to use his sword.
And seeing as how you support Captain Ganondorf, I don't understand why you would question a character's moveset with their actual canon abilities.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In the Pokémon games, sure. But it doesn't have to be the same way in Smash Brothers.

Ganondorf could literally kill half of the cast in Smash Brothers very easily if he was in the Zelda games, but he doesn't in Smash (in fact a lot of the cast can KO him easily instead). His abilities aren't the same in Smash as they are in Zelda to make sure that the characters are (mostly) balanced and that they can be able to fight against each other without the one of them being seen as over powered, which basically makes your claim that people would only play as Mega Mewtwo Y crumble. You don't have to give Mega Mewtwo Y all of the perks it has in the game.

We argue that character canon isn't applied to Smash Brothers when it comes to supporting Ridley when we bring up Olimar, Kirby, Pikachu, Charizard, and Bowser's size. So in this case, Ganondorf's abilities (or even Mewtwo's in Melee as a better example) were not used to their fullest potential as shown in their game's canon. So why would this be changed now? If Sakurai wanted to make a Mewtwo that can switch forms to change how fast you move, how much you weigh, the damage of physical attacks, the damage of projectiles, etc. he'll do it. Hasn't stopped him from making Ganondorf swordless and poking fun at people who want him to use his sword.
And seeing as how you support Captain Ganondorf, I don't understand why you would question a character's moveset with their actual canon abilities.
These non canon traits don't defeat the whole point of that character. Where as the whole point of Mega Evolution is to be a powered up form.

D

Deleted member

@Hotfeet: I would counter with the Homing Attack, but then I remembered Classic Sonic can learn it in Generations.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
That's fine, but just say that. That's something I say in my videos all the time, right? If you don't like the idea, just say that...but don't make up a reason why it "can't" happen.

For Snake, they took away the knife and guns. Ryu would be even easier; he could retain all of his weapons and powers. All you're taking away is blood.
Well I thought I had reasons, then I realized they where all crap.

I'm currently trying to draw a "happy" design for Ryu.
Lol

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
These non canon traits don't defeat the whole point of that character. Where as the whole point of Mega Evolution is to be a powered up form.
It still is a powered up form in the stance fighting Mewtwo concept, it just has it's positives and negatives to it. Much like how it does in Pokémon X and Y.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
@Hotfeet: I would counter with the Homing Attack, but then I remembered Classic Sonic can learn it in Generations.
Okay then, let me restate the statement. "He is, for the most part, the Classic Sonic of the nineties in Modern form, only using one of his main abilities from Modern games in Smash aside from his Down tilt."

I do wish that he would use the Super Boost in some way, namely my design of making it his forward Smash a super short-range dash attack.

I mean I respect the idea of keeping Sonic classic-esque, but there are definitely some abilities that Sonic could use from more modern games to make him a more interesting character that players will want to play as more, this coming from a Sonic main.

?????????????

Smash Master
Why don't we talk about the better Ryu?
I like that Ryu a lot, but...yeah. I think there's plenty of reasons he won't actually happen in SSB4.

Not sure what to say about him either. Moveset's pretty much laid out.

I just hope they have some Street Fighter music in SSB4.

I do wish that he would use the Super Boost in some way, namely my design of making it his forward Smash a super short-range dash attack.
Side Special, SIDE SPECIAL, c'mon new Side Special.

We don't need two Spin Dashes.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like that Ryu a lot, but...yeah. I think there's plenty of reasons he won't actually happen in SSB4.

Well he's practically disconfirmed at this point. But I agree, Street Fighter music would be epic.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Side Special, SIDE SPECIAL, c'mon new Side Special.

We don't need two Spin Dashes.
I was thinking his new side B could be the Lightspeed dash, featuring a controllable trajectory as Sonic dashes through a trail of six rings, damaging opponents as he blasts through them at super-speed and being able to go through multiple opponents at once.

The more often the move is used, the amount of rings to dash across will diminish as well as the attack's overall power, going to a minimum of three rings.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
As Pizza mentioned Street Fighter music...most people would suspect the inclusion of Ryu and Akuma's themes as they are undoubtedly two of the most famous theme songs for fighting game characters out there, however...I look for someone with a little more...class.

Can't mess with Dudley, as he will blow your mind. :p

D

Deleted member

@Hotfeet and pizzamandudeguy:
I'm pretty sure both Spin Dash and Spin Charge have been seen already.
Which disappoints me. I was hoping for the Sonic Boost coming in instead of one.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
As Pizza mentioned Street Fighter music...most people would suspect the inclusion of Ryu and Akuma's themes as they are undoubtedly two of the most famous theme songs for fighting game characters out there, however...I look for someone with a little more...class.
Can't mess with Dudley, as he will blow your mind. :p
You forgot Guile's Theme for some reason.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
@Hotfeet and pizzamandudeguy:
I'm pretty sure both Spin Dash and Spin Charge have been seen already.
Which disappoints me. I was hoping for the Sonic Boost coming in instead of one.
Oh I know, I was discussing what-ifs more than anything.

As for the Sonic Boost...I think it may be partially included in some way...

This picture seems to be Sonic after finishing what appears to be his dash attack, but that line behind him, those bursts of energy, seem to be created by Sonic, as well as it knocking Link into the ground rather than away. I think Sonic's dash may incorporate some mechanics from the Sonic Boost, and it wouldn't be that unbelievable as in both Sonic Unleashed on the Wii and the newly released Sonic Lost World, Sonic, when boosting enough and stepping on a speed-booster, would go into a spin-ball state.

You forgot Guile's Theme for some reason.
Guile? Over Dudley?! You have NO dignity!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah, isn't Sonic more classic-based moveset good enough? :p I mean, Sonic in Smash Bros is basically the classic Sonic of the early nineties with a Modern look.
And I'm perfectly alright with that. :D

BTW, I love his updated look in SSB4. My favorite Sonic model since classic.

--

As for Ryu H.

I'd love to see his classic moves since they're imo the most creative.
(The orange shuriken, the rising flames, the spinwheel blade, and the illusions among others)
Imagine a playstyle that involves using Ryu's illusions for set ups. That would be insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom