• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, how is the thread doing today?
Oh..... It's not good.
Oh well, I guess I'll go back to Project Bidoof.

Espio264

Smash Ace
When I was little, my mother painted a Gengar right by my bedside, it was kind of creepy.
Give your mother a hug for me. She's awesome.

Here's a question.

Who in your opinion would spark the most outrage from Smash fans if they are cut from the game? Now this is a question in regards to Ike, Falco, Wolf, etc... Don't say a character like Mario or a character we pretty much know is going to be in.
Falco. He's a two time veteran and cult favorite. He may not have set a franchise precedent like Marth or G&W, but he's forever cemented as a Smash Bros. bad@ss. Plus I'd spark enough outrage for all of us.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's a question.

Who in your opinion would spark the most outrage from Smash fans if they are cut from the game? Now this is a question in regards to Ike, Falco, Wolf, etc... Don't say a character like Mario or a character we pretty much know is going to be in.
Aside from the Starfox characters, I'd say maybe Ganondorf or Snake.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We really need some sort of reveal. Like anything characterwise really.

I get that Sakurai is doing things different this time, but I personally feel that this strategy isn't working as well.

To be honest, i'm getting the game no matter what. But a character every 3 weeks or something would be nice. That would give us our average of 1-2 characters per month, and it would shut me up.

I don't know. It's just getting boring.

EDIT: Go ahead and call me a whiny *****. I'm glad as **** that we got Toon Link and Sawnic. But it's seemed like forever since we got something else character wise.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's a question.

I'd say either Ike or Falco would spark the most rage. Wolf seems to have his fair share of people who still see him as a wasted spot. And to be honest, I'm not too sure how people would react to Lucas getting the axe. I can't see Snake getting cut though.

Morbi

Scavenger
We really need some sort of reveal. Like anything characterwise really.

I get that Sakurai is doing things different this time, but I personally feel that this strategy isn't working as well.

To be honest, i'm getting the game no matter what. But a character every 3 weeks or something would be nice. That would give us our average of 1-2 characters per month, and it would shut me up.

I don't know. It's just getting boring.

EDIT: Go ahead and call me a whiny *****. I'm glad as **** that we got Toon Link and Sawnic. But it's seemed like forever since we got something else character wise.
I stand by you 100%, I actually expressed some dissatisfaction back when the game was first revealed and Sakurai announced that things were going to be different. I got the very same, "be grateful you are getting anything" comments. So I most certainly know where you are coming from. This method is quite detrimental. As I mentioned earlier, I am more hyped for a game that I know will suck (Call of Duty Ghosts) than a game that I know will be fantastic (Smash 4). That is the power of marketing. At least Sakurai isn't doing anything to make me want the game, he actually effectively marketed Brawl and made me wish I had the game for an entire year. Smash 4? When it happens, it happens.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

This sums up many fans' reactions whenever a character is cut throughout the Super Smash Bros. games. :troll:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Uh, anyone wanna talk about alt costumes? Or maybe that Saki guy? Because I admittedly don't know much about him or his powers. I get that he has a laser sword that can turn into a gun. But does he have anything else to give him an edge in potential?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I stand by you 100%, I actually expressed some dissatisfaction back when the game was first revealed and Sakurai announced that things were going to be different. I got the very same, "be grateful you are getting anything" comments. So I most certainly know where you are coming from. This method is quite detrimental. As I mentioned earlier, I am more hyped for a game that I know will suck (Call of Duty Ghosts) than a game that I know will be fantastic (Smash 4). That is the power of marketing. At least Sakurai isn't doing anything to make me want the game, he actually effectively marketed Brawl and made me wish I had the game for an entire year. Smash 4? When it happens, it happens.
I just preferred the idea that I could go onto the website everyday, and know that I was going to see something new. Or something that would get me excited. Now it's just random pictures that may or may not show me something. I wake up at 7am every weekday for school, and I don't get anything to be excited about. Honestly, it's stupid.

I liked when I could go on there, and would just see a randomly announced character from nowhere. Except now, there are characters we may not see for many, many months, who would actually spark interesting conversation, such as Ike.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is that character supposed to be a blow up doll?
Nah, it's just Taro pwning Ichigo with a magical inflated version of his own head. XD

Uh, anyone wanna talk about alt costumes? Or maybe that Saki guy? Because I admittedly don't know much about him or his powers. I get that he has a laser sword that can turn into a gun. But does he have anything else to give him an edge in potential?
Saki would be a badass character, but there's the issue of Sin & Punishment being obscure and the fact that Sakurai has to chose between him and his son Isa Jo. Too bad, he would be a pretty awesome fighter regardless.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know what would be interesting? Seeing some new items. The only one we've seen is the X-bomb I think. Maybe we could get the Ice flower from Mario. Or even a new Metroid item.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Call of Duty Soldier 4 Sm4sh.

Morbi

Scavenger
Saki is a hideous, foul, ugly, deformed, repugnant, decadent, gruesome, morbid, diseased, appalling, grotesque, gross, monstrous, disfigured, unappealing, repulsive, revolting, and unattractive character. You ask if I looked up synonyms for ugly? I had to after grotesque. My point being, that could give him an edge in potential. It might be like Kabal's old fatality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6zm05elnGw

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I just preferred the idea that I could go onto the website everyday, and know that I was going to see something new. Or something that would get me excited. Now it's just random pictures that may or may not show me something. I wake up at 7am every weekday for school, and I don't get anything to be excited about. Honestly, it's stupid.

I liked when I could go on there, and would just see a randomly announced character from nowhere. Except now, there are characters we may not see for many, many months, who would actually spark interesting conversation, such as Ike.
I would have to agree. Normally, I feel as if it is a blessing that Sakurai is at least being consistent and predictable with his reveals and pictures, unlike Brawl, but this is a hindrance. The game is slowly dwindling in hype. I mean, we really got nothing in between Sonic and now, except a stage (it was shown along with Sonic, so it didn't get much attention), Xerneas which pissed people off, and alternate costumes. It seems like a lot, but nothing too big and exciting. I mean, we got Pyrosphere in between Luigi and Peach, the biggest wait between a reveal. That was smart, especially with what Sakurai said. It got people excited. Plus, we got a confirmation of what that Pilotwings stage was, a part of a Wuhu Island stage, which was pretty cool, too.

I'm just hoping for something this week. I don't necessarily mean a character, just maybe a new item, or Assist Trophies, a new stage? Anything, really, that would bring attention to this game. I'm getting quite bored now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know what would be interesting? Seeing some new items. The only one we've seen is the X-bomb I think. Maybe we could get the Ice flower from Mario. Or even a new Metroid item.
THAT WOULD BE FRACKING FANTASTIC! ALTERNATE COSTUMES WERE NICE. BUT NOW I WANT MORE BECAUSE I'M SPOILED. OUGOUFJDFISHPDS{DISF.

Really though. If we don't get something else this week, i'm going to be rather upset.

I mean, we got Sonic, Alternate costumes, and some stages for October, but i'm still not pumped after this month. I'd say my hype level has decreased since Sonic.

It's just been a boring month. Of course Sakurai could reveal Dr. Mario as an Alt soon, and that would be interesting.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
THAT WOULD BE FRACKING FANTASTIC! ALTERNATE COSTUMES WERE NICE. BUT NOW I WANT MORE BECAUSE I'M SPOILED. OUGOUFJDFISHPDS{DISF.

Really though. If we don't get something else this week, i'm going to be rather upset.

I mean, we got Sonic, Alternate costumes, and some stages for October, but i'm still not pumped after this month. I'd say my hype level has decreased since Sonic.

It's just been a boring month. Of course Sakurai could reveal Dr. Mario as an Alt soon, and that would be interesting.
October was boring. So far, September's been the best. We got two characters, which of course was great, but one of them completely hyped us through the roof. We also got a Luigi flutter jump, a possible Galaxy stage, nice pics of the Pilotwings stage, and a confirmation that Samus's artillery is being buffed. It was pretty solid for a month. August would be a close second, with Luigi and two stages.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
October was boring. So far, September's been the best. We got two characters, which of course was great, but one of them completely hyped us through the roof. We also got a Luigi flutter jump, a possible Galaxy stage, nice pics of the Pilotwings stage, and a confirmation that Samus's artillery is being buffed. It was pretty solid for a month. August would be a close second, with Luigi and two stages.
Really? I think I'd go with June.
:)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

The last thing that was really interesting this month was the alt for the Wii Trainer. Luckily that was towards the end of the month too. But I do wonder about new items. we have alot of things to work with too. So what would any of you guys want to see as items?

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, people can pretend that the Sonic confirmation was a big deal, while in all reality it was expected. It wasn't hype inducing at all. We already had him in Brawl, so that attenuates the excitement. Not to mention it didn't really spark any interesting discussion. I mean more people think Snake is going to be cut. Other than that, the "meta-game" of speculation is about the same.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I know this is from a few pages back, but I had to respond:
I hate how people want Pokemon Trainer removed just because a) he is not competitively viable b) Takes up to much development time for me to have ____
PKMN Trainer is integral part of the franchise and has three very deserving reps the kanto trio. Charizard and Squirtle are already widely beloved Pokemon sometimes even more loved then Mewtwo. Really, the only people who find Charizard "overrated" are the super competitive people of Pokemon and Smash. Just because you the "competitive gamer" doesn't like Pokemon Trainer doesn't mean the casual gamer, who outnumbers the competitive gamers will not be upset if the character is gone. Most of them would be devasted to lose such a unique character.
I'm neither of those and I do think Charizard is overrated, in the sense that I'm tired of him getting preferential treatment over Blastoise and Venasaur(ESPECIALLY Venasaur).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Really? I think I'd go with June.
:)
:p Post-E3...

Yes, people can pretend that the Sonic confirmation was a big deal, while in all reality it was expected. It wasn't hype inducing at all. We already had him in Brawl, so that attenuates the excitement. Not to mention it didn't really spark any interesting discussion. I mean more people think Snake is going to be cut. Other than that, the "meta-game" of speculation is about the same.
Agreed. I mean, I never found Sonic so interesting as a reveal. Sure, I was excited, a veteran shown off and all, but I expected it way too much. A character that people are predicting to get cut, like Snake, Ike, Lucario, or Lucas... they would bring hype. Like Toon Link.

I would definitely hope Sakurai would stop linking character reveals with special events and be the predictable person we want him to be.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I need a favor. I have Roster Maker 7.0, and for some reason, it doesn't have any Roy icons. Imagine that.

Anyway, i'm currently doing a project that you guys may enjoy. If anybody can get me that icon, it would be most appreciated.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dat E-Tank would be TOO overpowered for a healing item. I'll accept it as long as you stop healing when attacked like in Super Smash Flash 2.

Morbi

Scavenger
:p Post-E3...

Agreed. I mean, I never found Sonic so interesting as a reveal. Sure, I was excited, a veteran shown off and all, but I expected it way too much. A character that people are predicting to get cut, like Snake, Ike, Lucario, or Lucas... they would bring hype. Like Toon Link.

I would definitely hope Sakurai would stop linking character reveals with special events and be the predictable person we want him to be.
Not to mention, he blew his "Sonic" load too fast. We could have still had more discussion about Toon Link, it was cut short. The whole month of October turned into "when is the Pokemon going to be revealed" month. He didn't have to release Sonic on the first if he wasn't planning on adding a Pokemon. Imagine this... what if he released Sonic on the 12th (the Monday after)? That would have been insane. I think it would have caused more hype and confusion. People would be making jokes. Sonic wouldn't cut off Toon Link's hype, and we wouldn't have a dry month with no updates. Sonic was effectively revealed in September (the VERY beginning of October is hardly October in the grand scheme of things).

Just something I would have done differently. Let people predict when you are going to release a character, but don't release one they are expecting. Instead, Sonic was expected in October. The only "false trail" was the expected Pokemon newcomer never came. That actually had an opposite effect on a lot of people (they became disappointed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom