• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You're argument was that people will say "Oh, Miis are Me! I'll play dem most!"
"Oh, Miis are Me! I'll play dem most! And maybe a little bit of Mario! That's all I'll ever need!"
Yup. That is essentially what my point comes down to, with the implications of that explained in a solid two paragraphs. Meaning don't misquote me in saying that summation is the only thing I had to say on the matter.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"Oh, Miis are Me! I'll play dem most! And maybe a little bit of Mario! That's all I'll ever need!"
Yup. That is essentially what my point comes down to, with the implications of that explained in a solid two paragraphs. Meaning don't misquote me in saying that summation is the only thing I had to say on the matter.
I never said that's all you had to say. I simply summed up your point and and countered it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You what people might want more than Mario vs Sonic vs Megaman?

Mario vs Sonic vs Megaman vs Themselves (Mii)

Plus, Mii is huge. It was another turning point for Nintendo. But I do understand the obvious physical similarities with Villager. (One option might just be able to customize Villager's face with your Mii face)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I understand that people like Little Mac.

I just find it funny when people say "Well, Mii would be bland."
...or "Pacman, eh, don't you think he'll be bland?"

And then I look at the characters that they want for Smash and the guy that only dodges and punches is on their roster.

I don't think bland is the word they were looking for then.

Miis have everything to justify them as SSB charactes. It's the appeal in them that I don't get.
But as they say, to each their own. I don't think they'd ruin the roster for me one bit, I'm just 100% indifferent on them.

At least I hope one can alter their attributes or you can upload one's own Mii face into the SSB Mii body.

The only thing that seems to be getting in the way of their inclusion in my eyes is: the "Why now?" factor.
Miis have been around even before Brawl, so "why now?" XD

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ninten is a Ness Clone.
Starfy only spins.
Sheriff only shoots.
No, Little Mac only punches. The rest do many other things. Now there is no issue with Little Mac punching because there are different variations of it, after affects (stunning, fire, etc.) and he can counter punch. And the only person who didn't do more than that IN GAME, would be Sheriff.

Morbi

Scavenger
Please elaborate, I didn't include the context because it has been a personal disagreement that we have. However, I was alluding to the notion that by speculating that Sakurai is going to do something unpredictable is actually following a pattern that he has established for a long time now. If we weren't hyped and excited for X and Y, most of the rational cognitive speculators would have realized that there was only one real date for Pokemon X and Y. Not to mention that Sonic was released on the first of October as opposed to correlating to any date. So that would be a pretty clear and overt pattern. You either believe Sakurai will do the obvious, or the unpredictable. Obviously you would apply this premise to whatever it is we are talking about. In my case, it was the inclusion of a second retro. You are NEVER against the herd, there will ALWAYS be people to agree or disagree (however, it depends on what herd we are talking about). So that was a fallacious example.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Miis are a big part of Nintendo's history.
Miyamoto was trying to make a customizable faced character since the Famicom disk drive,
The he tried on SNES, then N64, the GameCube, then the DS, then finally the Wii.
And now the WiiU and 3ds.
I'm pretty sure Miis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

On a side note, I just realized we are having 2 on topic conversation, AT THE SAME TIME!!!
Mii and Little Mac!! AT THE SAME TIME!!

Morbi

Scavenger
Miis are a big part of Nintendo's history.
Miyamoto was trying to make a customizable faced character since the Famicom disk drive,
The he tried on SNES, then N64, the GameCube, then the DS, then finally the Wii.
And now the WiiU and 3ds.
I'm pretty sure Miis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Who is saying that Miis have no chance? I pity the fool.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think bland is the word they were looking for then.

Miis have everything to justify them as SSB charactes. It's the appeal in them that I don't get.
But as they say, to each their own. I don't think they'd ruin the roster for me one bit, I'm just 100% indifferent on them.

At least I hope one can alter their attributes or you can upload one's own Mii face into the SSB Mii body.

The only thing that seems to be getting in the way of their inclusion in my eyes is: the "Why now?" factor.
Just saying, if their Final Smash isn't Mii parade I will be very disappointed in Sakurai.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai already finalized the Brawl roster (without Sonic) in 2006... Mii debuted in 2006... why would Sakurai add a character who was too new at the time of Brawl's development? Wii Fit Trainer also debuted in 2007 but she wasn't in Brawl either.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just saying, if their Final Smash isn't Mii parade I will be very disappointed in Sakurai.
Do you mean something like Palutena's Army or DeDeDe's Dance? That would be pretty hilarious if I am following you. Now that I think about it, there isn't too much material for a Final Smash. The only notion that makes me doubt that Miis are plausible is Villager (ironically he is the reason most people think Miis have a shot).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So what, are you guys going to make up some stupid name for Little Mac now, because you don't like him?
Because names like Pale Tuna and Corn crack me up every time I hear them.
Stop putting down Little Mac guys. He's an awesome character with an awesome game that is a big part of Nintendo's history.
You guys can make fun of Mac all you want, but make fun of Ridley and you're suddenly the devil, right? :facepalm:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Do you mean something like Palutena's Army or DeDeDe's Dance? That would be pretty hilarious if I am following you. Now that I think about it, there isn't too much material for a Final Smash. The only notion that makes me doubt that Miis are plausible is Villager (ironically he is the reason most people think Miis have a shot).
Well, I was thinking a whole slew of Miis would come onto the stage and run all over it. Kinda like the Mii Parade on running speed.

Morbi

Scavenger
So what, are you guys going to make up some stupid name for Little Mac now, because you don't like him?
Because names like Pale Tuna and Corn crack me up every time I hear them.
Stop putting down Little Mac guys. He's an awesome character with an awesome game that is a big part of Nintendo's history.
You guys can make fun of Mac all you want, but make fun of Ridley and you're suddenly the devil.
Let us name him Big Mac Sauce! I am only kidding, Little Mac is one of the only characters I want. You can tell most people here are not fighting game fans. Just party game fans. "Little Mac's move-set would be bland"... guess they have never played Street Fighter or Tekken... or any other fighting game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai already finalized the Brawl roster (without Sonic) in 2006... Mii debuted in 2006... why would Sakurai add a character who was too new at the time of Brawl's development? Wii Fit Trainer also debuted in 2007 but she wasn't in Brawl either.

A fine, valid point then.
So Brawl was in development before the Wii was announced? :O
I mean, I'm pretty sure you had to make one for Wii Sports.

But yeah, I guess maybe it would've been too late to implement. Or at least to implement PROPERLY, with the custom Mii's face over the Smash Mii body.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wouldn't it be cool if Mii's Final Smash is "Warrior's Way"?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let us name him Big Mac Sauce! I am only kidding, Little Mac is one of the only characters I want. You can tell most people here are not fighting game fans. Just party game fans. "Little Mac's move-set would be bland"... guess they have never played Street Fighter or Tekken... or any other fighting game.
We need food names for Ridley and K. Rool.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Honestly there's a few other characters that have the potential of being overused. Megaman because of his popularity, I haven't spent enough time on online to know how often a Sonic player comes up in Brawl but I imagine there will be a rush of him in the next game as well, surely whoever is listed as the most top tier will be used (How common is Meta Knight in online?), or many of the fighters that have an attack that they can spam non-stop like Pikachu's Down Special or Pit's Side Special.

Maybe it's because I haven't played that much online that I don't think characters getting overused is such a big deal. But if you really bag on Casuals playing as their Mii all the time. It may be like that for the first few months. But when Smash gets to be about a year old casual players may have moved on to a new game or started playing as someone new.

Also regarding the "Why now" question. Is because Brawl was focused on celebrating the Gamecube generation. That's shown when Super Mario Sunshine got a stage over Super Mario Galaxy, and Pikmin was the newest franchise added. The Wii U & the 3DS one as well will celebrate the Wii generation, and I don't think you can deny that Miis are a big part of the Wii.

Morbi

Scavenger
A fine, valid point then.
So Brawl was in development before the Wii was announced? :O
I mean, I'm pretty sure you had to make one for Wii Sports.

But yeah, I guess maybe it would've been too late to implement. Or at least to implement PROPERLY, with the custom Mii's face over the Smash Mii body.
Not to mention Sakurai didn't even like the idea back then. Things have most likely changed though.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
.....It is similar to trying to convince a religious person that nothing spiritual exists, it is impossible. They will use their own source material as fact, and deny the very sciences that they claim God created.....

Can we not, in under any circumstance, bring about controversial religious (or political) subject matter into this thread?

EDIT: I understand you are only trying to make a comparative analogy, yet there are other less-incendiary examples available.
Confirmation bias fallacies, being an ample example.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can we not, in under any circumstance, bring about controversial religious (or political) subject matter into this thread?
It was an example. I never meant to incite any religious debates. It is something I commonly deal with, so it seemed natural. I almost forgot that people take the notion seriously. If you can think of a better example for future reference I would not only applaud you, I would use it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Geno looks plastic, not wooden, in that fanart. So that person was lazy for using that fanart and said fanart was done by a lazy artist.
The style of the fan art is supposed to emulate Super Mario Galaxy, which looks like Plastic.
I thought Punch-Out!! (NES) came out on November in Japan?
While that may be the case, the anniversary of something is normally the same day / month / moment the event occurred or released in the previous year(s). With that said, the official Anniversary of Punch-Out!! (NES) is October. The Japanese release wouldn't change that, because it came out a month later than the American release.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I never said that's all you had to say. I simply summed up your point and and countered it.
You summed it up, that much for sure.

In Mario Kart, the character you play as does have a difference in the form of different weight-classes affecting different attributes. Either way, if Miis are applied to Smash Bros. the general consensus is that Miis would be the one customizable character that can have actual changes to their moveset and/or their stats. What if we just give them all one set moveset, you ask? Miis lose the appeal of being customizable outside of aesthetics, given, but the fact still remains that the casual audience, as everybody else outside of an already existing video game fandom, will choose Miis. Brawl was considered more casual of a Smash entry, but at the very least it forced players to be familiar with characters from actual franchises, one of the whole points of Smash Bros. in the first place. Allow Miis as playable, and now a lot more new players won't even bother playing as "that blue haired guy with the big sword" or "the weird pink thing that sings" when they can just gravitate towards the character they're already familiar with: themselves. Which leads to another problem. Casual players are not devoted or educated like we are. If we have the same movesets regardless for Miis, the casual players will get bored, feel like they already got the most out of Smash Bros., and move onto the next Mii Party or Wii Fit or Just Dance or whatever meets their soft gaming appeal. Casuals will look at Smash Bros. as a casual game and nothing more, which hurts its image more than helps it in terms of expanding audiences. It's easy to think there's more faith to be had in these type of gamers than I'm letting on, but the truth remains that they really are this straightforward for the most part.

Now what if, for example, instead of just playing as Mii, a new player tried a character like Samus or Ness? "Whoa, I actually like this guy!" they say, feeling like they can invest in someone other than an avatar of themselves. "Wait, this guy has his own video game? I wanna try it!", and so they do, giving more revenue to Nintendo, creating another actual fan for the series, and solidifying their connection to the character in Smash Bros. "Maybe I should try another character, since the last one was definitely worth it", they think. Suddenly Ike is given a try. Or Fox. Or Mega Man. The cycle repeats and a Nintendo fan is made out of one game alone. That's the magic of Smash Bros.

Compare Miis instead, who are automatically a part of three Nintendo consoles now and the "first" characters you'll be familiar with as a casual gamer. If they're in Smash Bros., that experience is lost in that they already have someone they know they can stick with. "I know Mii better than that bad-fat-Mario, why would I try him when I could be me?" The difference between casual players and players who already have a franchise to stick to (i.e. someone who's only played Pokemon prior to Smash Bros.) is that, being of the archetype of playing an actual series beforehand, the fan will be (usually) more open-minded towards trying other characters for the reason that they have overcame the unfamiliarity barrier beforehand.

So yes, a lot of this is guesswork and psychological prediction, but if trends from the past hold true for the present, casual players should not be allowed to play as Miis in Smash Bros. lest they get robbed of the barrier-breaking experience that is Smash Bros. Wii Fit Trainer already handles the same type of barrier Miis would for casual players, the difference being that Wii Fit Trainer is not the player themselves. It is, in a loose sense, the same type of principle in game design that distinguishes Balance for Skill, only in a more meta, conceptual way rather than mechanical.

Now even if you have a counter-argument, even if you believe everything I just said is faulted in logic, can you leave this be? If you want to mercenary out others to use the same logic as you, so be it, but I really don't feel like talking to you about this if you're going to use the same arguing techniques you usually do. I'm not looking to force-feed others that I am right like you have been known to do. I'm looking to convince others, voluntarily of their own will, to agree with me. Regardless of what I say, that won't be happening with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom