• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, I was looking through Nintendo's annual reports to see which games were the top selling games at the time... you need Adobe Reader to view them...

2012 - go to page 14
2011 - go to page 10 and 12
2010 - go to page 10 and 12
2009 - go to page 10 and 12

As for 2013, the annual report doesn't show which games but this webpage will tell you... they are all as of March 31, 2013...

Top 10 Wii U games as of March 31, 2013

2.60 million - Nintendo Land
2.15 million - New Super Mario Bros. U

Top 10 3DS games as of March 31, 2013

8.29 million - Super Mario 3D Land
8.08 million - Mario Kart 7
6.42 million - New Super Mario Bros. 2
3.86 million - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3.28 million - nintendogs + cats
2.95 million - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
1.97 million - Paper Mario: Sticker Star
1.29 million - Pokemon Rumble Blast
1.22 million - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
1.18 million - Kid Icarus: Uprising
1.11 million - Mario Tennis Open

Top 10 Wii games as of March 31, 2013

81.99 million - Wii Sports
34.26 million - Mario Kart Wii
31.89 million - Wii Sports Resort
28.02 million - Wii Play
27.88 million - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
22.67 million - Wii Fit
20.86 million - Wii Fit Plus
11.72 million - Super Mario Galaxy
11.49 million - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Top 10 DS games as of March 31, 2013

30.38 million - New Super Mario Bros.
23.34 million - Mario Kart DS
23.94 million - nintendogs
19.00 million - Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
14.88 million - Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day
17.63 million - Pokemon Diamond / Pearl
15.42 million - Pokemon Black / White
12.67 million - Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver
11.70 million - Animal Crossing: Wild World
10.83 million - Super Mario 64 DS

Looking at the sales figures, it kinda makes sense why Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were the first Nintendo newcomers shown... they appeal to a large number of Nintendo consumers, including casual gamers (people who don't bother with video game message boards and fansites) and Nintendo fans (people who didn't seriously support them before they were confirmed to be in SSB4)... while Mega Man was really the only newcomer who had a lot of fan requests since he appeals to hardcore gamers (the vocal minority who frequents the message boards and fansites).
Hey look at Brain Age! :grin:

Is Robotnik worth making a thread for?
Because there isn't one already.
Make one for Steve the Pikmin!

So in this sense could we expect Miis? What do you think??
Then we can expect Dr. Kawashima and Nintendog..

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Pay for a better playstyle?
Something I could see competitive players do, but anybody who just plays for fun would be in outrage. "You're telling me I just paid for an Electric Mario??? BOOORING"
Says you.
I would still buy the content, but I'm sure everybody would prefer characters that people actually want to be DLC.
Not existing characters wearing different clothing. Those are requested as "Alternate Costumes", not "Unique Playable Characters".
Character DLC would include people actually want to play as, because they want us to pay for characters we want to be in the game.

You know who people want in the game?
Ridley, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena, Mewtwo, to name a few.
You know who people would buy if they didn't make it into the full game?
---
Well, then I guess I'm nobody :crying:
Well I said I would too so we're both nobody.
I would pay for Pichu. XD
Welcome to the nobody party!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Something I could competitive players do, but anybody who just plays for fun would be in outrage.
I would still buy the content, but I'm sure everybody would prefer characters that people actually want to be DLC.
Not existing characters wearing different clothing. Those are requested as "Alternate Costumes", not "Unique Playable Characters".
Character DLC would include people actually want to play as, because they want us to pay for characters we want to be in the game.

You know who people want in the game?
You know who people would buy if they didn't make it into the full game?
Those characters wouldn't even be DLC. Sakurai wants to make the fullest experience ever so he'd add them in the original. I feel DLC should be for extras and not people who should have been in the game in the first place.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So in this sense could we expect Miis? What do you think??
It is very possible... I mean, Miis are very popular... the evidence seems to point that... but who usually oppose the Miis? The vocal minority, that's us.

I don't mind Mii in Smash... I welcome it... but I don't really want Nintendog and Dr. Kawashima but I am prepared to deal with the disappointment in case Sakurai has an aneurysm and adds the realistic puppy and the disembodied floating head as playable characters.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It is very possible... I mean, Miis are very popular... the evidence seems to point that... but who usually oppose the Miis? The vocal minority, that's us.

I don't mind Mii in Smash... I welcome it... but I don't really want Nintendog and Dr. Kawashima but I am prepared to deal with the disappointment in case Sakurai has an aneurysm and adds the realistic puppy and the disembodied floating head as playable characters.
But they are characters we never seen before, very distinct from the rest of the cast, I have a feeling you'll enjoy them as much as beating up a purple dragon with a fitness trainer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*images Ridley getting owned by a newborn puppy*

Take my money, Sakurai! :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
But they are characters we never seen before, very distinct from the rest of the cast, I have a feeling you'll enjoy them as much as beating up a purple dragon with a fitness trainer.
I used to oppose the notion of Miis in Smash; however, I now see the positive. Any character that doesn't make it in the game can be a Mii. Haha. I am just happy that I get to play as Slim Shady, Mariah Carey, Jim Carey, Justin Timberlake, Kate Upton, Megan Fox, Obama, and any other iconic celebrity. Whenever I bring up Jesus, people tell me he isn't a Nintendo character and that Master Chief has a better chance of getting in the game. However, with Miis, I can prove them all wrong.

I didn't used to like the idea, now I see its appeal. Get ready to face Slim Shady, hopefully someone makes a Nick Canon Mii and they can finally have that charity boxing match!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Nintendog could be the next Pichu... but hey, at least it won't hurt itself whenever it attacks. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I used to oppose the notion of Miis in Smash; however, I now see the positive. Any character that doesn't make it in the game can be a Mii. Haha. I am just happy that I get to play as Slim Shady, Mariah Carey, Jim Carey, Justin Timberlake, Kate Upton, Megan Fox, Obama, and any other iconic celebrity. Whenever I bring up Jesus, people tell me he isn't a Nintendo character and that Master Chief has a better chance of getting in the game. However, with Miis, I can prove them all wrong.
Thanks for reminding me as to why Wi-Fi will automatically go down the crapper.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks for reminding me as to why Wi-Fi will automatically go down the crapper.
The only thing I care about in regards to the online is the net-code. If that is good, I wouldn't mind facing Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber at the same time.

Be honest, who doesn't want Jesus to be playable? He died for our sins, the least we can do is rep him in Smash, I think he is a LITTLE bit more important than ROB. I am not going to argue that he is more important than Mario. I don't want my asshole ripped open with logic and such.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

True, true... but remember, no matter how Trollish Sakurai can be, he's not stupid.

I didn't used to like the idea, now I see its appeal. Get ready to face Slim Shady, hopefully someone makes a Nick Canon Mii and they can finally have that charity boxing match!
As a symbol of the Ultimate Casual, I welcome the Mii with open arms. And like said before, Imagine my Mii (Mask0Gears) Slamming a Wii Fit Board into A Reggie Mii!!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Be honest, who doesn't want Jesus to be playable? He died for our sins, the least we can do is rep him in Smash, I think he is a LITTLE bit more important than ROB. I am not going to argue that he is more important than Mario. I don't want my ******* ripped open with logic and such.
I may have realized the abuse in this.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Those characters wouldn't even be DLC. Sakurai wants to make the fullest experience ever so he'd add them in the original. I feel DLC should be for extras and not people who should have been in the game in the first place.
My point is that people will pay for characters they want to play as. Not cheap knockoffs that are lazily made and better suited to being alternate costumes.

For instance, I would see people paying for Andy from Advance Wars. He's not likely to make it in the game in the first place, but the Wars franchise surely deserves a playable character in Smash. He can't be mistaken for any current playable character and he'd probably be pretty unique.
Star Fox's Krystal would probably be another character people would buy, even if she ended up being a semi-clone herself. People will pay for completely new characters.
Now let's say we bring back Dr. Mario, but just like he was in Melee. Many people would be resilient in doing this, because he's just Mario in a doctor's coat. But if Dr. Mario was an alternate costume, sales for the character would be much better than if he was a playable character.

If there is going to be DLC, any characters that are alternate variations of existing playable characters should NOT be playable character DLC. They would be much better appreciated as alternate costumes.

That is the point I am trying to get across to you.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The only thing I care about in regards to the online is the net-code. If that is good, I wouldn't mind facing Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber at the same time.

Be honest, who doesn't want Jesus to be playable? He died for our sins, the least we can do is rep him in Smash, I think he is a LITTLE bit more important than ROB. I am not going to argue that he is more important than Mario. I don't want my ******* ripped open with logic and such.

Morbi

Scavenger
Entire companies make a profit out of selling useless crap that effects nothing.

Welcome to humanity.
Yes, Injustice had some of the best selling DLC based on costume micro-transactions. I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 did the same thing. It even outsold some of the Call of Duty DLC on PSN. That is insane. If people will consume it, people will produce it.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I really don't want mii's they just make wi-fi even more stupider than it already is (although there is no denying that they will probably be in), I really hope that wifi has more options so people can have some serious stock matches, not this taunt party BS. I seriously hope that namco is the one doing the online stuff.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
My point is that people will pay for characters they want to play as. Not cheap knockoffs that are lazily made and better suited to being alternate costumes.

If there is going to be DLC, any characters that are alternate variations of existing playable characters should NOT be playable character DLC.

"HATERS GONNA HATE..."

Now let's say we bring back Dr. Mario, but just like he was in Melee. Many people would be resilient in doing this, because he's just Mario in a doctor's coat. But if Dr. Mario was an alternate costume, sales for the character would be much better than if he was a playable character.
First of all that's not true.

I think the point of DLC should be to add characters that normally couldn't get into the original game itself not characters who should be there in the first place. Lesser priority. People like memorable versions of characters like Dr. Mario & Pichu. Just because you'd prefer to buy something more than something else, doesn't mean you wouldn't pay for that something else by itself. I sure as hell would because I like those characters and so would others.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I perceive it as Ridley for Bottom Tier. Captain Falcon has a tendency to beat animals and woman, people smaller than him. So he would be most likely a tier or two above Nintendog.
Aha, talking about tiers already? what did I tell you, didn't I say new characters = tier lists = debates for who gets to be the top dog.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really don't want mii's they just make wi-fi even more stupider than it already is (although there is no denying that they will probably be in), I really hope that wifi has more options so people can have some serious stock matches, not this taunt party BS. I seriously hope that namco is the one doing the online stuff.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm like the only kirby main that DOESN'T do this, and its not just kirby its like for every character. I don't understand taunt parties.... who the hell started it? and why do people think its "fun"? I seriously hope it doesn't spill over to smash 4. At least have options to block those people out, and be able to choose a stock match for once....

@pichu the 43 one seems agreeable, and am i the only one who thinks there will be NO DLC whatsoever?

and why the hell does the thread die every time i choose to login in...?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't understand the mentality of the hate for alternate versions of characters being playable. Seems like people just greedy and upset they don't get ALL their most requested fighters and want a 100 character roster. What about all the people who like and prefer these versions of their beloved characters? I personally don't like Pikachu so I always played as Pichu (whom I love), and Dr. Mario is just ****ing awesome. Cooler than Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom