• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm sure they are tons of people on the casual side that would want to play as the floating head after playing a little bit of Brain Age. :troll:
I too want to play as him actually.

Blue how do you know sakurai even wants Dr. kawashima to try and make him work?
I'm sure he'll consider adding Dr. Kawashima at the very least if can consider adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. I think he is definitely aware of the Brain Age series if he's looking to the casual series for character ideas.

D

Deleted member

"considering Villager and Wii Fit Trainer"

STOP COMPARING THEM TO HIM.

Villager was a concept he thought up for Brawl that he held back on from a huge series dating back to the 64, and Wii Fit Trainer was a left-field unexpected character from a recent surprisingly successful franchise.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not every character added needs arms and legs to be added, just look at R.O.B. (Not the best example though).
I think a character without arms or legs makes Kawashima already entirely different and unique from the Smash cast.

Villager was a concept he thought up for Brawl that he held back on from a huge series dating back to the 64, and Wii Fit Trainer was a left-field unexpected character from a recent surprisingly successful franchise.
Brain Age is a successful franchise also. So what's the real problem about Dr. Kawashima? I do think Dr. Kawashima works.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I agree. Assuming we are getting one more left-field character, Toon Zelda has more of a chance than Kawashima.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Not every character added needs arms and legs to be added, just look at R.O.B. (Not the best example though).
I think a character without arms or legs makes Kawashima already entirely different and unique from the Smash cast.

Brain Age is a successful franchise also. So what's the real problem about Dr. Kawashima? I do think Dr. Kawashima works.
My main problem is that Dr.Longname will be our 2nd WTF character, which people aren't going to like.

D

Deleted member

Not to the same level as Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and even Nintendogs.

I'd expect a Nintendog before Kawashima, and those are unlikely in themselves.

Ok, I was wrong on that. Below Wii Fit, but above Nintendogs.

D

Deleted member

No hypotheticals.
I don't have anything against Kawashima.
However, to expect him because "durr Villager and Miss Fit" and MUH CASUAL is delusion.

Like Nintendogs, Kawashima is "reasonable", but not really believable.
For the former, it's that they are photorealistic puppies from a pet simulation game.
For the latter, it's that he's a caricature of a real-life neuroscientist who focuses on training your mind, not muscle.

Sure, either could work (I wouldn't mind seeing a Nintendog that fights like Akamaru; would be very lulz-worthy), but neither really make any sense.
At least with Villager, he's a cartoonish boy that can do mischievous things in his series, and Wii Fit Trainer is, like Sakurai said, a fitness nut.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I get it, he would be added because of the uniqueness and potential Dr. Kawashima holds, not because of "durr Villager and Miss Fit and der casual series."
Let's talk about something else now, how bout some Starfy discussion?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I get it, he would be added because of the uniqueness and potential Dr. Kawashima holds, not because of "durr Villager and Miss Fit and der casual series."
Let's talk about something else now, how bout some Starfy discussion?
Tetromino for Smash.

Third party character, and a casual character! (I don't really see Tetris as an Nintendo franchise)

-----

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would lol if Sakurai sees the potential of a Tetris block. :laugh:
Although there's not enough resources (at least for me, bit lazy at the moment) to make a moveset out of a Tetris block.

D

Deleted member

Read my edit first.
See what I'm trying to get through to you.

As for Starfy, I'm 50/50 on whether he's believable or not. On one hand, his body type makes simple essential tasks in Smash difficult (which I feel is the main reason Sakurai excluded him), but on the other, he's from a decent sized series that broke the Nihon no Kabe ("Wall of Japan", what I call Japan-only release) since Brawl, so that could potentially give Sakurai a reason to give him a second look.

It could be Starfy's time, or it could not be. I can't make a prediction there.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Would not mind Starfy, he has moveset potential, has a release in the West now, and I would love to see an underwater Starfy stage, but I'm just not sure if he's all that likely.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well. Well, I stayed up all night watching Watamote and...never before have I connected to an anime character like I have with poor little Tomoko. As someone who also suffers from social anxiety, I can relate and understand her situation quite well, although I wouldn't say it's to the extreme she has.

Anyways, great anime aside, our topic iiiisss...(Skims) Dr. Kawashima...again? BluePikmin, I respect your opinion for a unique character and the desire for something from the norm of what we all quote on quote "expect to see", but I just don't see it being likely.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So what you're saying that Kawashima and Nintendog are characters that don't do "bad" (or mischievous) things in their games, so it's the reason it doesn't make sense at all? I'm kinda seeing the your point of view.

Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well. Well, I stayed up all night watching Watamote and...never before have I connected to an anime character like I have with poor little Tomoko. As someone who also suffers from social anxiety, I can relate and understand her situation quite well, although I wouldn't say it's to the extreme she has.

Anyways, great anime aside, our topic iiiisss...(Skims) Dr. Kawashima...again? BluePikmin, I respect your opinion for a unique character and the desire for something from the norm of what we all quote on quote "expect to see", but I just don't see it being likely.
I'm just trying to understand the real truth behind Dr. Kawashima.

D

Deleted member

As a joke, we should make a list of "casual" characters. :troll:

Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Nintendog
Dr. Kawashima
Miis
Rhythm Monkey (would Rhythm Heaven count?)
Waluigi :troll: (Mario Sports/Karts/Parties are casual :awesome:)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh, as long as we're discussing Kawashima, this is how I would react to him getting in Smash. (warning, keep the volume on low. Headphones not recommended)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I think their are better characters than Starfy to be added into the game.

That's right Saturn, come at me :smirk:
I second this.

The real truth? The truth is that many people believe that there are much better decisions for newcomers than Dr. Kawashima. I'm not going to go and call the idea of your character stupid as there's no such thing as a stupid character (Other than anime characters and extra Sonic characters) but it's definitely a little...odd.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't know much about Starfy so I don't know what potential he has, but I do like Starfy from what I do know about him. If he can do anything unqiue then sign me up for Starfy support!

D

Deleted member

So what you're saying that Kawashima and Nintendog are characters that don't do "bad" (or mischievous) things in their games, so it's the reason it doesn't make sense at all? I'm kinda seeing the your point of view.

Not exactly "bad", but more or less, neither of them can be considered "fighter" material without stretching it as long as a Rayquaza.
Nintendogs, being just cute little puppies, are like polar bears in a desert on the idea of them being on a field of combat being Falcon Punched or biting the jugulars of an elf-like warrior.

Kawashima, being someone with a "mind over might" mentality, is not suited directly participating in a contest of brawn.

Villager, is a kid who lives life to the fullest by having fun, which participating in a Smash competition could be seen as.

Wii Fit Trainer, works on being fit and active, which fighting in a Smash match helps with as sort of a bizzare exercise regimen.

Where's Dr. Lobe and Vince on that list?
Ah, forgot Dr. Lobe.
But who's Vince?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The real truth about Kawashima is that he won't be playable. Period.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Starfy wouldn't be that bad of a choice actually. Not sure how likely he'd be but I'm sure he'd be a bit fun to use. How do You guys feel about Isaac? Or Lip?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey in terms of our braniac character, how about we just stick with Layton? At least he has limbs.... And a Top hat.....

Or Lip if she counts. :T

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Starfy wouldn't be that bad of a choice actually. Not sure how likely he'd be but I'm sure he'd be a bit fun to use. How do You guys feel about Isaac? Or Lip?
Isaac, meh, I think he's sorta similar to Ness, only with a sword and with earth powers.
Lip, eh, I don't know much about Panel de Pon fully, but visually I can see it working, but it's hard to imagine a moveset.

How do you guys feel about Prince Sable? What if he was added? I think his game needs more recognition than Golden Sun and possible The Mysterious Muramase Castle. The game is great, and the idea of a prince transforming into an animal is something we never seen before.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Well then I hope Sakurai stretches into more ideas, both Nintendog and Dr. Kawashima are super bizarre to me, it needs to work somehow.
It CAN work, that's a given, but that doesn't mean it's likely. This is Sakurai, he's done his fair share of creating movesets for what we would assume to be unorthodox characters with no official way of combat, but even then...it's ultimately up to Sakurai if he wants his team to take the time to develop said character, and since they're pressed for time and they probably have a few newcomers in mind, more will likely come in mind in the coming months as I can assume the roster is far from set-in-stone, I don't see Kawashima being one of said newcomers, and Nintendogs...well, we already saw the 3DS stage.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I'm sure they are tons of people on the casual side that would want to play as the floating head after playing a little bit of Brain Age. :troll:
I too want to play as him actually.

I'm sure he'll consider adding Dr. Kawashima at the very least if can consider adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. I think he is definitely aware of the Brain Age series if he's looking to the casual series for character ideas.
My question, is how will it impact you playing ssb4 if dr. kawashima wasn't added? would you be sad, happy, etc.?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Animal Crossing Sable >>> Prince Sable. :awesome:

But in all seriousness, I don't know much about Prince Sable. So yeah, I don't really have an opinion on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom