• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Paper Mario has more potential. :rolleyes:
So? What does that have to do with the fact that you claimed Bowser Jr. has almost no potential? I know Paper Mario has more potential, in terms of overall moveset potential he's probably near the top in overall possibilities for moveset in general, but that doesn't mean Bowser Jr. doesn't have things to make him a character that not only stands out from his father, but the rest of the roster as well.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Bowser Jr. is cool, but I think Paper Mario could be better. A Smash game just doesn't feel complete without that one Mario look-alike on the very first slot of the roster, with Mario being on the second one. :luigi64::drmario:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yeah, so did PT and Jigglypuff, Lucario is not a special snowflake, they're in the exact same boat as him. All three were prioritized over Mewtwo, but that doesn't mean any of them were intended to be his replacements.
Well, I think Lucario getting a movie and having the same B move does make him more of a special snowflake. But at least you agree Mewtwo was out-prioritized.

You are my special snowflake.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought people would drop the potential argument... when the 64 game came out. I might be the first person to say this... but Fox and Captain Falcon? Believe it or not, Sakurai and his team actually invented those move-sets. I know, it is pretty crazy to think that a character with no potential could have a potential move set (Fox/Falcon/Game&Watch) or characters will immense move set potential get watered down into generic characters (Kirby/Luigi/Toon Link).

Does Paper Mario have more potential? Sure. Does potential mean anything? Not really, not to Sora Ltd. anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do really think people are exaggerating that characters having no potential suddenly getting potential means that potential is nothing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I thought people would drop the potential argument... when the 64 game came out. I might be the first person to say this... but Fox and Captain Falcon? Believe it or not, Sakurai and his team actually invented those move-sets. I know, it is pretty crazy to think that a character with no potential could have a potential move set (Fox/Falcon/Game&Watch) or characters will immense move set potential get watered down into generic characters (Kirby/Luigi/Toon Link).

Does Paper Mario have more potential? Sure. Does potential mean anything? Not really, not to Sora Ltd. anyway.
I think we were talking about if Sakurai would GIVE him this potential. Since he doesn't always do that with semi-clones. Not that Bowser Jr could replicate Bowser's moves.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do really think people are exaggerating that characters having no potential suddenly getting potential means that potential is nothing.
It is an exaggeration. I think the point still stands. It is a game, Sakurai is going to look at potential (he stated that it was part of his criteria, I believe). However, that doesn't mean it is going to be the sole determining factor. When it comes down to it, he will pick the character he wants. Move set potential is only a portion of the equation. One that I do not think he fully utilizes. It doesn't mean nothing. I do not really it means much though. Just my 2 cents.

Also, just wandering? Is there a reason you passively stated that? I am the only person that brought it up. You can use the reply button. I am not really confrontational.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, I think Lucario getting a movie and having the same B move does make him more of a special snowflake. But at least you agree Mewtwo was out-prioritized.

You are my special snowflake.
Having a movie doesn't make one anymore similar, or else Keldeo is similar to Mewtwo. On top of that, Lucario differs completely in terms of character and role in that movie compared to Mewtwo.

Also, it's just one move, that doesn't make anyone their spiritual successor or replacement. That's like saying Jigglypuff is Kirby's would-be spiritual successor because it shares the same Forward Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know, Captain Falcon having a moveset inspired by sentai works does make sense. I mean, he has arms and legs, so naturally being able to punch and kick is a given. But the sentai flavor probably comes from his design being similar to the likes of Kamen Rider or Super Sentai.

Espio264

Smash Ace
A few questions about veteran designs:

If (PLEASE GOD) we get Ike back, will his armor/outfit be the same as Brawl, updated a little, or a completely different costume?

Will Wario be classic Wario out of the gate, or do we get Warioware threads to start out with again.

Is the Pokemon Trainer going to be the same FR/LG costume, updated, a different trainer with the same Pokemon?

Will Lucas's hair be that solid cowlick again, or will it have some texture to it?

Does a Skyward Sword Zelda seem really that much more likely?

If Ganondorf is in his TP design again, will he have that stiff rock goatee again, or will he, like Lucas get some texture to his hair?

Will Lucario look toonier with the new simpler/primary colors design that everyone else is getting?

Can Captain Falcon get anymore bad@ss?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

If (PLEASE GOD) we get Ike back, will his armor/outfit be the same as Brawl, updated a little, or a completely different costume?

Will Wario be classic Wario out of the gate, or do we get Warioware threads to start out with again.

Is the Pokemon Trainer going to be the same FR/LG costume, updated, a different trainer with the same Pokemon?

Will Lucas's hair be that solid cowlick again, or will it have some texture to it?

If Ganondorf is in his TP design again, will he have that stiff rock goatee again, or will he, like Lucas get some texture to his hair?

Will Lucario look toonier with the new simpler/primary colors design that everyone else is getting?

I like Lucas's hair.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

The Ike we get in Smash 4 will most likely be based off his Radiant Dawn look.

Hopefully classic Wario will start out this time.

Same.

Probably some texture.

We may get a TP Zelda but with brighter colors (Similar to Link)

Same as Brawl just updated.

Yes.

Nope.

courte

Smash Lord
View attachment 3363
also on your other point, I can't give you any promise
when that photo of Wii fit trainer was released a week ago people probably filled an entire page or two just talking about her ***
but it wasn't... i don't even wanna link it. trust me when i say it's nothing compared to over there where the grass is more than likely poo color. and ****

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
So I made two rosters. One of them has no cuts (except Snake), the other one has cuts.

Non-Cut Roster:
Non Cut Roster.png

34 Veterans (35 if you count Mewtwo)
11 Newcomers (10 if you exclude Mewtwo)
45 Total

I'll post the roster with cuts shortly.

Espio264

Smash Ace
29 Veterans
16 Newcomers
45 Total
I agree with your no cuts roster more, but it's a little too safe.
Your cuts roster has a lot more originality to it, and is a very good effort.

Both of them are believable. I just don't want to believe they'd cut both Ike AND PT. But their your thoughts, good job.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've been thinking about that Twitter picture Sakurai posted containing Dark Pit, do you guys think he could be planned as a last minute semi-clone because of this? I find it very much possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom