• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Great, ill add you to the list of supporters.

The first person to like this gets to choose who I send this picture to
View attachment 3307

Who will it be KingShadow
I hate to point this out, and I hate to minimod...but why are we insulting people by request in the Roster Prediction thread?

Let me try to get us back on track by posting my roster for you guys to pick apart.

Roy may be replaced with Chrom if you want. I just used Roy since his icon fit better than Chrom's. I'm honestly neutral about whether Chrom or Roy should get in.

Daitoryo is basically a placeholder for a history rep, as I'm convinced we're going to get one. However, I don't know for sure which history character would happen. (I see WFT as a character like Sheik or ZSS who is a female character that makes perfect sense in hindsight, but no one really predicted heavily.)

This roster is exactly fifty characters, including transformations.
With a roster like this, I hope SSb4 also receives a playable story mode. Also wasn't King K. rool confirmed as a boss instead of a playable character?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
With a roster like this, I hope SSb4 also receives a playable story mode. Also wasn't King K. rool confirmed as a boss instead of a playable character?
I'm expecting an adventure mode, but SSE-like story mode has been deconfirmed, sorry. And, no, he was not confirmed as a boss. Where'd you hear that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
1. I don't think the first point really means that much, tbh.
It kind of does, even official staff have stated that they were not going to push anything.
2. Sakurai stated that third party characters were all going to be legendary, and Pac-Man fits that role. I can't think of anyone who would be a better fit for the next third-party if it's not Pac-Man.
Sakurai never said anything like that, most of the time he emphasizes that any third party character is difficult to implement and to not expect a lot of them. It doesn't matter how much Pac-man is riding on the arcade game, those type of characters are inherently unlikely because of it.
3. Sure some people don't like it. But I've honestly only seen people hating on him on this forum.
I've seen it practically everywhere, it's an expected but not wanted vibe.
4. I honestly think that most people are welcome to his inclusion at the very least. And Pac-Man is the most well-known gaming icon of all time. He's well-liked.
Again, a lot of comments say otherwise.

5. Honestly, I don't see him being a Sonic case. I see him as being negotiated for very early in development.
And by very early, you mean very late. Right.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Uh, no...?

Where did you hear that from?
Uh well, I think it started right before the first two veteran characters were revealed, I think it was on an ssb4 thread one user, idk his/ her name said something about either ridley or k.rool getting replaced by another character. This happened when the hype started.

D

Deleted member

At the same time, if Snake was not in Brawl, not many would be for his inclusion in Smash.
Even if people knew there was discussion between Sakurai and Konami in regards to a guest character, people would be pushing for the likes of Simon Belmont a helluva lot more and would be badmouthing the idea of Solid Snake, the "realistic" espionage firearms wielder from a "Mature" series with more ties to Sony than Nintendo, being a possibility.

The only reason why Snake was seen in a drastic positive light is because he blindsided fans at a time when practically nothing about Brawl was known and guests were unheard of.

If no one knew about Namco's involvement with Smash 4 until the big reveal and only after Pac-Man was shown off rather than Mega Man, there'd be a lot more positive reaction than there is now. Just like Snake would not have gone over well if he wasn't announced right off the bat.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Uh, no...?

Where did you hear that from?
Uh well, I think it started right before the first two veteran characters were revealed, I think it was on an ssb4 thread one user, idk his/ her name said something about either ridley or k.rool getting replaced by another character. This happened when the hype started.

Edit: is anyone having trouble posting?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

Edit: is anyone having trouble posting?
No...?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
It's published and developed by Namco Bandai, so it's just as much of a Namco representative as the likes of Pac-man and Tekken are, so I don't see the argument.
Tales and Tekken may be Namco reps, but it's not as good of one as Pac-Man, especially with Sakurai's comments about 3rd parties. It'd be like having Olimar instead of Mario in another cross-over game.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Here's a question: Of the Original 8, if one HAD to be cut, who would it be? My answer would be Yoshi, since he is not as iconic as the other 7. But thankfully that'll never happen. :) I Hope
Cut Mario. Duh. He's a pitiful Luigi clone and Luigi could just have a Mario colored costume :troll:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There it is again!

That "R" word...

This isn't congress. We don't play as reps. We play as characters.

If Pac-Man gets in, it will be because Sakurai thought he was worth putting in. Not because he felt Namco needs something because it's "close" to Nintendo.

Please stop using the term "rep" when talking about characters.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
There it is again!

That "R" word...

This isn't congress. We don't play as reps. We play as characters.

If Pac-Man gets in, it will be because Sakurai thought he was worth putting in. Not because he felt Namco needs something because it's "close" to Nintendo.

Please stop using the term "rep" when talking about characters.
I hate to say it, but reps do seem to apply when referring to 3rd parties.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Pac-Man is not happening for one reason: His classic look and feel would be a terrible idea in Smash. Why would a 3/4 circle that has 0 emotions or personality be a good idea? Sakurai implemented classic Mega Man, not any other version of him. They won't callously throw in 3D Pac, that's not the iconic version of him. Pac has no ties to Nintendo whatsoever anyway.

And don't spew that Martio Kart Arcade garbage as a counterpoint, it was Mario Kart on an arcade IE Pac's home. Only reason it kinda made sense for him to be in that game.

A Tales rep has way more chance of making it in anyway. Lloyd Irving being a prime example.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Pac-Man is not happening for one reason: His classic look and feel would be a terrible idea in Smash. Why would a 3/4 circle that has 0 emotions or personality be a good idea? Sakurai implemented classic Mega Man, not any other version of him. They won't callously throw in 3D Pac, that's not the iconic version of him. Pac has no ties to Nintendo whatsoever anyway.

And don't spew that Martio Kart Arcade garbage as a counterpoint, it was Mario Kart on an arcade IE Pac's home. Only reason it kinda made sense for him to be in that game.

A Tales rep has way more chance of making it in anyway. Lloyd Irving being a prime example.

Oh my, we've found a non-believer. Shall we pull out the Pac-Man VS?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hate to say it, but reps do seem to apply when referring to 3rd parties.
How so?

Did Sonic get in because Sakurai thought Sega deserved something or because we wanted Sonic?

Did Megaman get in because Sakurai thought Capcom deserved something or because we wanted Megaman?

Did Snake get in because Sakurai thought Konami deserved something or because he wanted to do a favor for his friend?

There's no evidence to support Sakurai going for a "rep" system. 1st, 2nd or 3rd party.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
...damn you guys move too fast XD

What's the topic third parties? Meh, it should be Megaman/Sonic/whoever the hell is added (I want Crash, but it won't happen).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
How so?

Did Sonic get in because Sakurai thought Sega deserved something or because we wanted Sonic?

Did Megaman get in because Sakurai thought Capcom deserved something or because we wanted Megaman?

Did Snake get in because Sakurai thought Konami deserved something or because he wanted to do a favor for his friend?

There's no evidence to support Sakurai going for a "rep" system. 1st, 2nd or 3rd party.
Honestly, you may very well be right.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake and Geno. Arguably the perfect third-parties to be included. Not all in this game, though. I'd personally believe if we had these 5, unless a new 3rd party IP comes up, they'll be the only 3rd parties we'd really need.

(Poop, forgot Rayman.)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If I could choose a third party character it would be Spyro. (flameshield up)

And yeah, the word "rep" has never applied to any character or company in Smash.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake and Geno. Arguably the perfect third-parties to be included. Not all in this game, though. I'd personally believe if we had these 5, unless a new 3rd party IP comes up, they'll be the only 3rd parties we'd really need.

(Poop, forgot Rayman.)

Hahaha Geno XD

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

(Poop, forgot Rayman.)
I think Megaman, Sonic and Snake would be good enough for the 3rd parties.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

(Poop, forgot Rayman.)
Layton could be there,but really I wouldn't call him the best 3rd party.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Layton could be there,but really I wouldn't call him the best 3rd party.

Oh! Forgot about the Professor! He's part of the 7 Likely Third-Parties I'd enjoy. Sadly, Banjo-Kazooie, Earthworm Jim, Quote and Shantae aren't as likely as those 7.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I hate to point this out, and I hate to minimod...but why are we insulting people by request in the Roster Prediction thread?

Let me try to get us back on track by posting my roster for you guys to pick apart.

Roy may be replaced with Chrom if you want. I just used Roy since his icon fit better than Chrom's. I'm honestly neutral about whether Chrom or Roy should get in.

Daitoryo is basically a placeholder for a history rep, as I'm convinced we're going to get one. However, I don't know for sure which history character would happen. (I see WFT as a character like Sheik or ZSS who is a female character that makes perfect sense in hindsight, but no one really predicted heavily.)

This roster is exactly fifty characters, including transformations.

Cuts are Pokemon Trainer and Snake. PT to diversify the roster while only cutting one "slot", and Snake since I personally see him as being a one-time request for a friend. Although I would not be surprised by Snake coming back, I see it as slightly more likely that he will be cut.
A ROSTER!? IN THE ROSTER PREDICTION DISCUSSION THREAD!? PAH! THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CHARACTER REVEAL DATES! PISS OFF!

Just kidding, but to critisize

• Napoleon has to be a joke character. A real person with nothing to do with the gaming industry. I have no idea what convinced you this was a good idea. It's like worse than Obama or Goku. There's no way he would outprioritize any actual Nintendo character anyway.
  • Toad just isn't happening. If Sakurai planned Toad in the finalized roster he wouldn't have made him a human sheild of another playable character.
  • If Roy & Mewtwo didn't get in over Pokemon Trainer & Snake last time, then why would they this time?
  • Pac-Man doesn't really have any more reason to be over Snake than he did last time, so him replacing Snake is just unrealistic. This is an example of Namco getting special treatment by replacing such a worthy and unique character.
  • Pokemon Trainer pretty much has to be in.
  • You wouldn't need cuts if you didn't add unnecessary additions such as 4 DK characters we can suffice with 3,.
Just need to adress these major issues, otherwise it's okay.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

(Poop, forgot Rayman.)
Geno? Seriously? You're telling me a one-off 3rd party is the perfect 3rd party to be included? Geno? On the same caliber as Sonic, Mega Man, or even Snake? There went your credibility haha

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Was scrolling through the Snake reveal thread, when I found this..

Also Nintendog reactions were pretty positive too, not sure how people would react today if he was revealed for SSB4 as a playable character.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Geno? Seriously? You're telling me a one-off 3rd party is the perfect 3rd party to be included? Geno? On the same caliber as Sonic, Mega Man, or even Snake? There went your credibility haha

Wow, let me rephrase that: MY perfect third-parties. So, you stating that I'm an uncredible monkey isn't going to help you. You may say I'm delusional, You may say I'm overhyped. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one.

John Lennon aside, it's my opinion that Geno (as well as many others, including Toad, Porky, Sukapon, Lip, Nintendog, Krystal, Goroh, Kamek) all stand a chance. Many others do too. So stop getting "up in my grill" and enjoy a warm shower or something. I'm not here to advocate for characters, I'm here to talk and be excited for Smash 4. My teenage logic may be flawed, my youth may be misleading, but oh boy, you do not want to troll me.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. And right now, I'm calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom