• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
just stop it
No, you cannot stop the truth. :awesome:

not much anyway it'll feel too weird to have two exact toads in the game as different characters (one playable the other being part of another playable character
It is not that weird.

You got an adult Link from OOT and a child Link from OOT (they are the same person) as two different playable characters in Melee.

You got Donkey Kong as playable character and a different Donkey Kong as a stage hazard in Brawl.

You got Toon Link as a playable character and a different Toon Link in the background of a stage in SSB4.

So why can't we have one Toad as a playable character and a different Toad as part of Peach's moveset?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What do we think about 5 Pokemon reps with 4 Mario reps? Do you think it doesn't matter because Pokemon had 6 playable characters total? Do you think that doesn't count because they are 3 in one and it's total of representatives is 4? Do you think the fact that Zelda has 5 total playable characters and Pokemon has 6 is a reason to give Mario a fifth character? Does it matter?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What do we think about 5 Pokemon reps with 4 Mario reps? Do you think it doesn't matter because Pokemon had 8 playable characters? Do you think that doesn't count because they are 3 in one and it's total of representatives is 4? Do you think the fact that Zelda has 5 total playable characters and Pokemon has 8 is a reason to give Mario a fifth character? Does it matter?
Eight? We have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo, and the Trainer with 3 characters. That's seven, right?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What do we think about 5 Pokemon reps with 4 Mario reps? Do you think it doesn't matter because Pokemon had 6 playable characters total? Do you think that doesn't count because they are 3 in one and it's total of representatives is 4? Do you think the fact that Zelda has 5 total playable characters and Pokemon has 6 is a reason to give Mario a fifth character? Does it matter?
I don't think it matters honestly. Again, I don't really think Sakurai views them as "reps". Otherwise, if he did, i'm sure Mario would be dominating the roster.

Because Zelda and Pokemon already have more characters in the game than the King himself, I don't think it matters all that much. We all have to remember that this isn't a Mario game (even though when 64 came out I considered it that because of Mario, Luigi, DK and Yoshi...), so Mario doesn't necessarily need the most characters. However, if a series like Mother or Fire Emblem were to overtake Mario, then we have a problem.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As a continuation of my point that series can still get their time in the sun without receiving superfluous characters, look at how many stages Mario has, compared to Zelda and Pokemon. It's had more stages than any other series in every Smash game to date, and likely will this time around as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's true. Mario has 4 characters, and in Brawl it had what...6 stages in Brawl? Pretty good amount, not to mention that Wario and Yoshi at the very least could be associated with the Mario series.

I'm done for now. Back to Pokemon X.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
No, you cannot stop the truth. :awesome:

It is not that weird.

You got an adult Link from OOT and a child Link from OOT (they are the same person) as two different playable characters in Melee.

You got Donkey Kong as playable character and a different Donkey Kong as a stage hazard in Brawl.

You got Toon Link as a playable character and a different Toon Link in the background of a stage in SSB4.

So why can't we have one Toad as a playable character and a different Toad as part of Peach's moveset?
an adult link from OOT is older and more iconic than his child from and has more different moves and properties than his younger counterpart (though beats me why they didn't take advantage of this)

Donkey Kong playable is the modern form of him, while the stage hazard one in brawl is actually his father

The Toon link that is playable is the second most popular form of link and is the one from wind waker, the Toon link in the background is from spirit tracks which is hundred years from wind waker (in other words Toon link's descendent) which is hinted by the train conductor outfit

the main problem with toad is that they will be two of the exact same toads (red heads blue vests) will be inter copies of each other the only way possible I can see of this happening is if there is a change between the toads (for example a blue headed toad will be peaches counter while a red headed toad becomes playable) this way smash can get away with the same exact character problem
but two of the exact toads can not be in the game if one of them is already in it

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I am really not liking the boards this weekend. It's turned into this random, upset, emotional, and overall depressing place. Hopefully the beginning of this week will get better.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am really not liking the boards this weekend. It's turned into this random, upset, emotional, and overall depressing place. Hopefully the beginning of this week will get better.
No Pokemon character does that to people.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't feel like quoting all of you directly, but yeah. Like I have said in the past, we've been spoiled with characters the past 30 days, getting three. We expect more, and no Pokemon to go along with the most hyped games people can think of is bogus.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't feel like quoting all of you directly, but yeah. Like I have said in the past, we've been spoiled with characters the past 30 days, getting three. We expect more, and no Pokemon to go along with the most hyped games people can think of is bogus.
Luigi was revealed after the japan release of mario bros dream team

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
we've been spoiled with characters the past 30 days, getting three. We expect more, and no Pokemon to go along with the most hyped games people can think of is bogus.
After a trailer with only one character, revealing only veterans so spaced apart and no newcomers for 4 freaking months can hardly be considered "spoiled".

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think it's very fair to say it's not a big deal and then just turn around and say it is for certain franchises. Either it matters or it doesn't.

No, the thread will just spiral out of topic and be full of memes portraying the revealed Pokemon.
Better than the alternative: Hormonal teenagers and young adults going bat-**** crazy over no reveal.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think it's very fair to say it doesn't matter and then just turn around and say it does for certain franchises. Either it matters or it doesn't.
Fire Emblem and Mother are nowhere near the same prominence as Pokemon or Zelda, or Mario for that matter. There is certainly a difference between them. For the Big 3 franchises, it isn't a big deal. But other franchises that aren't nearly as big really shouldn't be having more characters than the flagship series.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
After a trailer with only one character, revealing only veterans so spaced apart and no newcomers for 4 freaking months can hardly be considered "spoiled".
Actually, yes, that is. Sakurai made clear he doesn't want to go right off the bat announcing characters like crazy, and will most likely be saving big hyper-worthy characters for the later parts of 2014, like E3 for example.

He made clear that he will not be announcing characters every other day, but when seeing almost back to back to back reveals in less than a month time, fans got really excited, thinking that they will get more. That sounds pretty spoiled, IMO.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I wouldn't say that they were that spaced apart the only ones that could be given that were Olimar, luigi, and peach. Toon link was revealed two weeks after peach and sonic was released at the beginning of the month that's not really that spaced out

Pokemon reveal tomorrow? yes? no?
I'll say yes, because if not this entire thread going to circle out of commission.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Pokemon reveal tomorrow? yes? no?
I'm gonna have to say no. While I certainly want a reveal, I don't find it all that likely. Sure, we got Luigi after the Japanese release of Dream Team, but he probably knew of the Year of Luigi Direct ahead of time. The same with Sonic. We probably would have gotten Sonic around Lost World, but he knew that there was going to be a Direct ahead of time. That may happen, but we just had a General Direct, so I doubt we will see another soon. I expect nothing for tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

I'm seeing a lot of hate towards Kawashima. And yet, it's one of the only ideas BluePikmin has brought up that isn't so bad....

No seriously. Kawashima's not that bad of an idea. It's an idea that seems farfetched, maybe, but not a bad one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I made these rosters as a kind of 'want' roster. For these first two, I gave myself the requirement of including all confirmed characters, but other than that, they were designed to appeal to the most people possible. There is a slight bias to my own wants, but where I did not include a character for that reason, I tried to make it up with a substitution that would be acceptable to all parties.

There are two rosters: one has Pokemon Trainer, and the other does not. I think since Pokemon Trainer is three move sets, it is worthwhile to consider the roster both with and without his presence.

There are not really any threads for a roster like this, so I just made my own. If it is unacceptable, please move this post to the correct thread, as judged by the moderator(s).

Some notes: Marth will have a costume for Lucina. Chrom will play similarly to and have a costume for Ike. Zelda and Impa will have a costume for OoT/TP Zelda and Sheik. Pikachu will have a costume for Pachirisu. I'm open to other alternate costumes as well. Anna will use a lance. I personally hope there are DLC characters for years, and all this argument over who should get in will be moot.

Well, I'm not sure if this warrants a thread, but honestly, I don't see any Brawl veterans, barring possibly Snake, getting the axe. Other than that, there are also some other very questionable choices, such as Skull Kid, Ray, Anna and...Neku+Shiki, who are just not happening, to put it bluntly. And then there's the fact that you suggest Chrom replace Ike. Honestly, Chrom should only be in addition to Ike and Marth, not as a replacement.

So I don't really like either of them, personally.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
the main problem with toad is that they will be two of the exact same toads (red heads blue vests) will be inter copies of each other the only way possible I can see of this happening is if there is a change between the toads (for example a blue headed toad will be peaches counter while a red headed toad becomes playable) this way smash can get away with the same exact character problem
but two of the exact toads can not be in the game if one of them is already in it
Let me get this straight... the problem with Toad, according to you, is that there cannot be two Toads at the same place at the same time if both of them have the same colors (red spots, blue vest)... right?

D

Deleted member

If we get a Toad (which seems irrational), it will be the blue one at this point given how ol' bluey's been taking an active role for quite a bit.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Let me get this straight... the problem with Toad, according to you, is that there cannot be two Toads at the same place at the same time if both of them have the same colors (red spots, blue vest)... right?

to an extent . . . . yes
prepare your counter argument
(by the way Kirby copying peaches move set, is not an counter argument, its the same move just used as another person)
If we get a Toad (which seems irrational), it will be the blue one at this point given how ol' bluey's been taking an active role for quite a bit.
exactly, while that is horribly unlikely, its is still a possibility

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
I kind of replaced Rob with Ray, because Rob annoys me. Keep in mind, this is not supposed to be a prediction roster. My goal was to make a roster that everyone would be able to enjoy. I don't know if having Marth, Ike, and Chrom would do that.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If it's tomorrow, this thread will destroy the thousand page milestone like a tissue.

Heh, to be honest, after Mewtwo's P:M reveal, I could go another week without a character reveal. :) Heck, maybe two.
Seriously, it's shaping up to be a superb game. I don't see myself playing Vanilla Brawl after it's completed, especially once SSB4 is out. I'll still play SSB64, P:M, and SSB4 (since Melee and Brawl will be basically taken care of by P:M)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom