• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Director:"Hey would I suggest Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age, I think it would be as bizarre as Wii Fit Trainer."
Sakurai:"TOO BAD HE'S BASED ON A REAL LIFE PERSON, REJECTED!!!"
I just don't see Sakurai working like that.
Me neither. Sakurai wouldn't be arguing with himself...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Kawashima is not going to be added, not this game, and probably iwll never be added. And the day the N64 logo is added as a playable character is the day I gain the ability to fly and shoot lasers from my eyes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Dr. Kawashima had a complete different design, then you would be convinced to add him.
But no, you have to reject him because he looks like the real person.
That's the thing. He doesn't just look like the real person. He is the real person. How is that hard to understand?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Dr. Kawashima had a complete different design, then you would be convinced to add him.
No we wouldn't. And he doesn't just look like a real life person. He IS a real life person.

But the uniqueness of floating head with educational attacks comes to mind. :p
Having a move set and being the first character to be something doesn't make you work either.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That, and he is just a head.

And would be a bigger WTF character than Wii Fit Trainer.

And Smash doesn't need a ton of WTF characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Seriously. Obscure characters that are just...strange aren't going to be added for the sake of being "obscure". That isn't the point of the game. A character like Wii Fit Trainer is a one per game type of thing. Pretty much.

I wouldn't want Kawashima over Ridley, Shulk, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, along with several others. There's hardly any sort of "casual representative" class anyway. It's not like Sakurai seperates it like that. Not to mention, Nintendo is trying to get in with the Hardcore fans.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That's an aesthetic. What about the actual playstyle?
He would use math attacks, word surfing attacks, basically he uses educational school tools to use for attacks. We never had that kind of character before you know.

Seriously. Obscure characters that are just...strange aren't going to be added for the sake of being "obscure". That isn't the point of the game. A character like Wii Fit Trainer is a one per game type of thing. Pretty much.

I wouldn't want Kawashima over Ridley, Shulk, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, along with several others. There's hardly any sort of "casual representative" class anyway. It's not like Sakurai seperates it like that. Not to mention, Nintendo is trying to get in with the Hardcore fans.
I still don't think WFT is the WTF character. She made tons of sense as she is from a popular Nintendo series, and the uniqueness of fitness trainer fighting came to mind for Sakurai.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's the thing. He doesn't just look like the real person. He is the real person. How is that hard to understand?
I had no idea Dr. Kawashima was really a disembodied floating head with disembodied floating hands in real life.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The wii fit trainer isnt obscure. It was something that was right in front of us the whole time and no one realized it. Ya sure, nobody thought of it, because shes not your typical nintendo allstar.

It was pretty weird to see her weigh in, but after seeing her in action, it made perfect sense

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Kawashima's game being popular isn't enough. Neither is his potential, which I honestly can't see much of. Yes, those are both factors that contribute to a character's addition, but Wii Fit Trainer is also a WTF choice, an unexpected character from a popular game and she had potential. Sakurai isn't going to add WTF characters willy-nilly, just like he won't be adding a bunch of third parties all willy-nilly.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really hope Pokemon Trainer stays with his team as he's meant to be, otherwise, what's the point? Not to mention, the starters would overcrowd the roster with Pokemon characters... There's Project M for that already (which is why I don't play as either of them there. I LIKE the switch mechanic, even if it is/feels forced).

Those who can't handle mastering all 3 of them or getting around their design flaws should just stick to another character. All I ask is for a little buff to all 3 of them, especially Ivy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Away from this ridiculous Dr. Kawashima discussion: Ridley, Shulk, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, etc. being more popular and desired isn't always a reason for them to get in over another character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Kawashima's game being popular isn't enough. Neither is his potential, which I honestly can't see much of. Yes, those are both factors that contribute to a character's addition, but Wii Fit Trainer is also a WTF choice, an unexpected character from a popular game and she had potential. Sakurai isn't going to add WTF characters willy-nilly, just like he won't be adding a bunch of third parties all willy-nilly.
Well I don't see casual series as complete without Dr. Kawashima.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I had no idea Dr. Kawashima was really a disembodied floating head with disembodied floating hands in real life.
You're missing my point. He is Dr. Kawashima. A caricature of him, of sorts, as it's just his head and hands. BP's making it out to be like he's a Tingle scenario with him only being inspired by Koji Kondo. This isn't the case. He's blatantly Dr. Kawashima.

He would use math attacks, word surfing attacks, basically he uses educational school tools to use for attacks. We never had that kind of character before you know.
Once again, those are aesthetic things. I mean an actual playstyle, ie; grappler, rushdown, poker, beatdown, etc...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wii Fit Trainer is a modern casual rep... why not add a retro casual rep? Duck Hunt Dog for Smash! :awesome:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
jeez its like you guys move on from one argument to the next can't you all just take a break :rolleyes:
Hey... If there was something interesting to discuss we wouldn't have to deal with the current topic anyways.

Actually we could just leave for a bit... Not an option that I agree with, anyways.

courte

Smash Lord
Kawashima over Captain N? Diskun? Toad? Just another day in the thread.

I have a confession to make; i don't always like post i agree on. In fact since i've returned, i find myself liking post for their entertainment value, sometimes ones with ideas i personally find so hilarious it causes a pause in my composure. like full wutbean. like, i know i'm in a troll thread, and i'm waiting for the hidden cameraman to pop out

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Alright then, to change the topic a bit, what would your reaction be if, hypothetically speaking, Toad was both one of Peach's moves and a playable character?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
it looks like there were teams or something for the next pokemon reveal a while back and I declare myself on team new pokemon trainer. low risk pick. I was wrong about Classic Link when it came to it being between him and Toon Link, so there's a good chance I'll be wrong again.

And if/when Mewtwo is revealed, it will be Mega Mewtwo in some way. I don't know how yet.
Alright then, to change the topic a bit, what would your reaction be if, hypothetically speaking, Toad was both one of Peach's moves and a playable character?
I would be very excited. One as blue toad (playable character) and the other as generic toad.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Away from this ridiculous Dr. Kawashima discussion: Ridley, Shulk, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, etc. being more popular and desired isn't always a reason for them to get in over another character.
Not just the popularity alone, no. But most if not all of those characters have more than just popularity on their side. So it isn't all that big of an issue.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We're still talking about Casual Reps? Did people suddenly become smacked out of their minds over this weekend?? It's not as though Kawashima was suggested for the past few months we've known Wii Fit Trainer would be playable...this is a recent phenomenon.

Wii Fit Trainer hailing from a casual series makes sense, but only when you consider that it's why none of us would have predicted her...few of us are casual gamers, and even if we were to the point of being familiar with her, most would have dismissed her as a dull joke (which...is arguably still the case, but eh). Sakurai has wanted new creations, since he found it strange that none he deemed suitable popped up after Pikmin; he also wants characters that "dance out at him," and he finds it hilarious to stick in shock characters that "pretty much no one guessed would show up." Wii Fit Trainer happened to sit at the point where those three criteria intersect, so he selected her. Just like he had his reasons for adding Snake, yet Snake didn't open the floodgates for any random mature third party character's inclusion, he had his reasons for adding Wii Fit Trainer, yet she doesn't open up the floodgates for any unimportant "casual" NPC's inclusion, let alone multiple ones, regardless of their sales...lest we forget, series don't need characters to be featured in Smash.

Seriously, there's enough damn black-and-white division in the speculation scene with stuff like 'relevance' and 'size,' let's not add more fuel to the bull**** fire with stuff like 'casual' and 'competitive' characters.

courte

Smash Lord

no one answered my question but ok i'll be a good sport...

i'd play competitive mario party and advocate for waluigi and nabbit if such a thing ever happen. and i'd never play a smash past brawl[and mods] save for fan made versions and mods

It makes sense... there are more than one Toad with red spots and blue vest in the Mario games anyway.
just stop it

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We're still talking about Casual Reps? Did people suddenly become smacked out of their minds over this weekend?? It's not as though Kawashima was suggested for the past few months we've known Wii Fit Trainer would be playable...this is a recent phenomenon.

Wii Fit Trainer hailing from a casual series makes sense, but only when you consider that it's why none of us would have predicted her...few of us are casual gamers, and even if we were to the point of being familiar with her, most would have dismissed her as a dull joke (which...is arguably still the case, but eh). Sakurai has wanted new creations, since he found it strange that none he deemed suitable popped up after Pikmin; he also wants characters that "dance out at him," and he finds it hilarious to stick in shock characters that "pretty much no one guessed would show up." Wii Fit Trainer happened to sit at the point where those three criteria intersect, so he selected her. Just like he had his reasons for adding Snake, yet Snake didn't open the floodgates for any random mature third party character's inclusion, he had his reasons for adding Wii Fit Trainer, yet she doesn't open up the floodgates for any unimportant "casual" NPC's inclusion, let alone multiple ones.

Seriously, there's enough damn black-and-white division in the speculation scene with stuff like 'relevance' and 'size,' let's not add more fuel to the bull**** fire with stuff like 'casual' and 'competitive' characters.
THIS. THANK YOU BKUPA.

Seriously. There are no such thing as "reps". They're just characters. Just because we call them reps doesn't mean that Sakurai looks at them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom