• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

courte

Smash Lord
Quick question. Do you think Snake would ever be cut for a different Konami Rep? I mean, I don't find him a shoo-in, but I don't think it's likely that he would be cut in favor of a different character from the same company.
I personally can't think of a reason why he would stay.

now I know this is a crazy reason, but I don't see any character appearing in a previous version a surefire confirmation. and i don't see any character as important to nintendo's history a shoo-in. now that the game is more about cross promotion than before, and after the waiting and speculation before brawl that i endured, I count everyone as out until i see them in, save for the members of the original twelve who still have games coming out.

I recall reading an article saying that snake was supposed to be in melee. now i could be wrong as this may have been 5 or 7 years ago. but Kojima and Sakurai are friends, and Kojima asked him if Snake could be in. He asked too late unfortunately but that was a part of the reason snake got into brawl. since brawl's release, there have been few new Metal Gear games [not that it matters since i think recency doesn't apply to third party] but no original metal gear games on any nintendo consoles... since the NES? Snake Eater was a port. I personally picked Simon Belmont because he's castlevania is significant enough to nintendo's history and they regularly release new games from that franchise on nintendo consoles GBA, DS, 3DS SNES, N64, Wii. Also there was a new Castlevania that came out earlier this year. And to me, he seems one of the best candidates for a moveset.

Bomberman I personally see as too limited [if anyone is going to flame me on this one, just send it in a PM please]
Snake I don't see as being a true representation of himself. I wasn't bugged about it much, i simply found it silly how he was essentially Demoman [see above]
Simon could bring both the diversity without the blood and gore, y'know cuz he wasn't killing people. just ghouls.

courte

Smash Lord
If I ask what is the case for Tetra, can we talk about it but only until we hit page 991?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Either you're lying about saying you did that in a day from scratch, or you're godlike.
It was 2009, and I had known how to wavedash, L-cancel, etc for about half a decade, and I was probably good enough to be ranked at Brawl if I played Meta Knight and camped like a beach.

But instead at Brawl I played Toon Link, went aggro and didn't camp or stall, and lost because of those choices.
But the thing is: you think it's lame, but some, or most of us, don't. I understand why'd you don't like single player mode, and say that you'd rather have only multiplayer, but to say that they should remove everything altogether? That sounds selfish.
I didn't say it's lame; I said playing it in a marathon like I do with multiplayer smash is lame.

Literally when Brawl came out my brother and I got super bored of the SSE and just churned through it in agony after the "charm" wore off in the Great Maze, and long after we realized it sucked. We really got hyped when we got to the actual multiplayer.

I play all of the game modes once every few blue moons, but it doesn't mean I marathon them. They're a fun extra, but single-player game modes are by no means the heart and soul or meat and bones of Smash Brothers. Not even close.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I didn't say it's lame; I said playing it in a marathon like I do with multiplayer smash is lame.

Literally when Brawl came out my brother and I got super bored of the SSE and just churned through it in agony after the "charm" wore off in the Great Maze, and long after we realized it sucked. We really got hyped when we got to the actual multiplayer.

I play all of the game modes once every few blue moons, but it doesn't mean I marathon them. They're a fun extra, but single-player game modes are by no means the heart and soul or meat and bones of Smash Brothers. Not even close.
You missed my point. You may not think it's important, but SOME OF US DO. Sure, multiplayer IS more important than single player, but that doesn't make it unimportant by any means. Really, it's all up to subjectivity whether by how much or how less one is more important than the other.

(Though I agree SSE was pretty meh. BUT THAT'S JUST ONE GAME MODE)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why must people continually insist Lucario may potentially have a chance of getting cut?
I don't see the logic in reliving the same "Big Mistake" from Brawl, but just reversing it. Cutting Lucario is going to cause the same problem that cutting Mewtwo caused. Bringing back a cut Melee veteran and cutting a Brawl veteran doesn't make any sense even if Mewtwo is hot right now. I also can't imagine a Pokemon roster without one single post gen 1 Pokemon. Lucario is too iconic anyway and his hotness is currently pretty close to Mewtwo. Adding Mewtwo's past to his iconicness doesn't seem like a good excuse to add on to him being hot right now, because that clearly didn't get him in Brawl.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Quick question. Do you think Snake would ever be cut for a different Konami Rep? I mean, I don't find him a shoo-in, but I don't think it's likely that he would be cut in favor of a different character from the same company.
If it was for Bomberman I wouldn't be surprised. He has more affiliation with Nintendo and deserves to be in a Nintendo fighting game more than Snake does.

courte

Smash Lord
I don't see the logic in reliving the same "Big Mistake" from Brawl, but just reversing it. Cutting Lucario is going to cause the same problem that cutting Mewtwo caused. Bringing back a cut Melee veteran and cutting a Brawl veteran doesn't make any sense even if Mewtwo is hot right now. I also can't imagine a Pokemon roster without one single post gen 1 Pokemon. Lucario is too iconic anyway and his hotness is currently pretty close to Mewtwo. Adding Mewtwo's past to his iconicness doesn't seem like a good excuse to add on to him being hot right now, because that clearly didn't get him in Brawl.
CUT THEM ALL!

seriously if more smashes were made, everyone would be happy. everyone.
case in point? pokemon, even though 'genwunners' sometimes complain about new designs everyone wants a console/mmo pokemon

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The fact that it took that much dev time means single player is significant, so I dont know what youre talking about.
Then how come they're not doing it again=???
I didnt ignore multiplayer. I stated that its fun with friends. But the memorable moment is the challenger approaching screen.
Then obviously you haven't played a great match. When I think of Smash, I think of great matches I've been in.
[collapse="Here's a tiny teaser of mine"]-Me coming back from down 4 stocks to 1 on my brother in Melee in 2003 by finally learning how to apply L-cancelling mid-match (I learned this in Smash 64 originally)
-My win over the best kid at my middle school back in 2003 and becoming the best player at my school
-Learning how to get good at Fox by practicing against a friend
-Learning how to properly apply wavedashing in 2005
-Beating the best kid at my high school in 2006 by blowing him out (3 matches, all 3 stock wins in 5 stock matches)
-Playing Toon Link for the first time in Brawl by winning a 3 stock match without taking damage
-Facing people like Wizzrobe (he wasn't that good, lol! I talked to him in a Twitch chat for a Melee tournament today, lol!), homelessvagrant, Wiseguy, etc. on Brawl's wifi on a weekly basis.
-Entering the SWF Brawl online tournament and coming tied for 33rd after losing to my good pal on here Eternal Phoenix Fire (who himself lost to the tournament winner, who was some campy ROB) after beating one of the Smash twins, my friend who lived 3 blocks from me (out of the thousands of entrants, I had to face him), and a lot of other people in a 8 person pools. I faced a ton of people I knew in that tournament, lol!!!
-My epic (live) tournament Brawl match on the Summit in a winner take all losers' semi-final match where the gravity change saved both of us at least half a dozen times.
-Me facing Mango and Falcon Punching him despite getting 4 stock'd in a 4 stop match with a hype crowd behind me followed by HomemmadeWaffles interviewing me. I didn't recognize Mango because at the tournament a week before he had really long hair, and in between that tournament and this one he shaved his head, lol!
-Me beating a NorCal ranked Brawl player.
-Me beating a NorCal ranked Melee player.
-Me facing Shroomed at Project M and his Sonic going so bonkers it SD'd twice!!! :laugh:
-Me and my brother doing a comeback (where we were down 2 collectivestocks to 7) to complete a comeback in a Project M teams match in a tournament.
-Me almost coming back to win a match against SFAT to bring it back to 1 stocks after being down 4 stocks.
-Me facing SuperSkeetBro (he's on SWF) girlfriend surviving my Warlock Punch at 300% by getting stuck in the top roof thing at the bottom of Hyrule Temple, rolling up the right side of it, back the left side, and then back up the right side and being way up in a bubble on the last stock for like 20 seconds until she came down and the match timed out and she won because in sudden death 3 bombs blew me up. :rotfl:[/collapse]
Yeah, I've gotten a ton of epic matches, and this is only a small sampler.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You missed my point. You may not think it's important, but SOME OF US DO.
I didn't say it's not important, just that the multiplayer is the most important thing.

Also, like I said, single-player should die (at least in Smash Wii U) because of online being so prolific, and because people wanna play the traditional single-player modes with 1, 2, 3, or more friends/family members/acquaintances.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Then how come they're not doing it again=???

Then obviously you haven't played a great match. When I think of Smash, I think of great matches I've been in.
[collapse="Here's a tiny teaser of mine"]-Me coming back from down 4 stocks to 1 on my brother in Melee in 2003 by finally learning how to apply L-cancelling mid-match (I learned this in Smash 64 originally)
-My win over the best kid at my middle school back in 2003 and becoming the best player at my school
-Learning how to get good at Fox by practicing against a friend
-Learning how to properly apply wavedashing in 2005
-Beating the best kid at my high school in 2006 by blowing him out (3 matches, all 3 stock wins in 5 stock matches)
-Playing Toon Link for the first time in Brawl by winning a 3 stock match without taking damage
-Facing people like Wizzrobe (he wasn't that good, lol! I talked to him in a Twitch chat for a Melee tournament today, lol!), homelessvagrant, Wiseguy, etc. on Brawl's wifi on a weekly basis.
-Entering the SWF Brawl online tournament and coming tied for 33rd after losing to my good pal on here Eternal Phoenix Fire (who himself lost to the tournament winner, who was some campy ROB) after beating one of the Smash twins, my friend who lived 3 blocks from me (out of the thousands of entrants, I had to face him), and a lot of other people in a 8 person pools. I faced a ton of people I knew in that tournament, lol!!!
-My epic (live) tournament Brawl match on the Summit in a winner take all losers' semi-final match where the gravity change saved both of us at least half a dozen times.
-Me facing Mango and Falcon Punching him despite getting 4 stock'd in a 4 stop match with a hype crowd behind me followed by HomemmadeWaffles interviewing me. I didn't recognize Mango because at the tournament a week before he had really long hair, and in between that tournament and this one he shaved his head, lol!
-Me beating a NorCal ranked Brawl player.
-Me beating a NorCal ranked Melee player.
-Me facing Shroomed at Project M and his Sonic going so bonkers it SD'd twice!!! :laugh:
-Me and my brother doing a comeback (where we were down 2 collectivestocks to 7) to complete a comeback in a Project M teams match in a tournament.
-Me almost coming back to win a match against SFAT to bring it back to 1 stocks after being down 4 stocks.
-Me facing SuperSkeetBro (he's on SWF) girlfriend surviving my Warlock Punch at 300% by getting stuck in the top roof thing at the bottom of Hyrule Temple, rolling up the right side of it, back the left side, and then back up the right side and being way up in a bubble on the last stock for like 20 seconds until she came down and the match timed out and she won because in sudden death 3 bombs blew me up. :rotfl:[/collapse]
Yeah, I've gotten a ton of epic matches, and this is only a small sampler.
Thats a cool story bro.

Tell it again.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Also, like I said, single-player should die (at least in Smash Wii U) because of online being so prolific, and because people wanna play the traditional single-player modes with 1, 2, 3, or more friends/family members/acquaintances.
But the thing is: you think it's lame not that important, but some, or most of us, don't. I understand why'd you don't like single player mode, and say that you'd rather have only multiplayer, but to say that they should remove everything altogether? That sounds selfish.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But the thing is: you think it's lame not that important, but some, or most of us, don't. I understand why'd you don't like single player mode, and say that you'd rather have only multiplayer, but to say that they should remove everything altogether? That sounds selfish.
No, I'm saying that Classic Mode, Boss Run, All-Star modes are the last three "pure" single-player modes (and Board the Platform). Event Matches, the "Multi-Man" Modes, Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, the Home-Run Contest, etc. allow for multiplayer (and in most of those cases online multiplayer) play.

Hopefully in Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U every mode will will have a multiplayer and online multiplayer options if Sakurai and co. are smart.

That's all I'm saying.

The future with Smash is moving even more towards playing with others than playing alone because of how much multiplayer and online multiplayer are becoming the wave of the future, as well as how prolific and common smashfests are ("casual" and "competitive" alike).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Thats a cool story bro.

Tell it again.
I'm going to top all of those stories; that's my goal.

I want more crazy matches, tournament, items on high, whatever. I love the thrill of a good match. It's a high you can never get down from.

To me, that has been, and always will be, my ultimate Super Smash Bros. goal, and it is why I, unlike other Smash Brothers before me, will never quit playing Smash Bros. ever.

I'm sure you have crazy stories like that, or have seen crazy matches like that. Another one of my favorite things to do is to watch such amazing matches.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
No, I'm saying that Classic Mode, Boss Run, All-Star modes are the last three "pure" single-player modes (and Board the Platform). Event Matches, the "Multi-Man" Modes, Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, the Home-Run Contest, etc. allow for multiplayer (and in most of those cases online multiplayer) play.

Hopefully in Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U every mode will will have a multiplayer and online multiplayer options if Sakurai and co. are smart.

That's all I'm saying.

The future with Smash is moving even more towards playing with others than playing alone because of how much multiplayer and online multiplayer are becoming the wave of the future, as well as how prolific and common smashfests are ("casual" and "competitive" alike).

THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE GOING FOR!? WHY DIDN'T YOU CLEAR THAT UP BEFORE!?

Goddammit, half an our discussing about it for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

And before you ask, YES. I AGREE.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Aside from an unbelievably pointless discussion about whether or not there should be single player mode, not much.
that is a pointless discussion, there's always going to be some sort of story mode,(mainly its main purpose is to unlock stuff but still)
there is just no point to discuss it.

Do you guys think AC deserves 3 reps? I for one think it totally does. Ideally, I think Animal Crossing is complete with Villager, Tom Nook, and Mr. Resetti.
I say it barely deserve 2 (I still believe there will only be one though) 3 just unimaginable .

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Animal Crossing doesn't need three reps... it is fine with the Villager alone. Mr. Resetti and Tom Nook are not the main characters of the game, contrary to popular belief... they are major supporting characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Continuing on my previous points, as Mick Foley once said, "In Life you Collect Moments." I look at amazing matches as such that, especially ones you are playing it. These create a special bond between players, especially when a match is truly spectacular, and you find out a lot about what kind of player you are.

I can't tell you how many such matches I've had against my younger brother, but man, they definitely made us better players, and they made us great teammates in doubles.

THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE GOING FOR!? WHY DIDN'T YOU CLEAR THAT UP BEFORE!?

Goddammit, half an our discussing about it for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
That's what I've been saying, but no one is listening... :facepalm:

I've been pointing at Brawl's traditional single-player modes having multiplayer options forever, lol.

Like I said, even Brawl's single-player modes aren't single-player and likely won't be aimed at single-player, but rather, to be played with others.

That is clearly what Sakurai was going with when he made the SSE, but him and his crew took it too far, and didn't help "Build up" Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, or Boss Run Mode, they didn't support up to 4 players, and worst of all in many modes they didn't support online play.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Do you guys think AC deserves 3 reps? I for one think it totally does. Ideally, I think Animal Crossing is complete with Villager, Tom Nook, and Mr. Resetti.
No. I love Animal Crossing but it only needs a single character.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For a new series? Good god, what are you smoking? 3 is overrepresentating a fresh series.

But Mr. Resetti is hella awesome of a character, I can definitely can see his moveset potential.
I don't ******* care if he's awesome or not. There's no way he's gonna get in over someone like Tom Nook

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No series IMO deserves any "reps".

But if we're talking characters, sure, Mr. Resetti and Tom Nook could still be playable this time around or next.

That's all well and reasonable to not take off the table.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Have you played Animal Crossing at all to know that Tom Nook and Mr. Resetti are awesome characters?
Being "awesome characters" warrants a roster spot now? Cool, I'll be sure to request Batman and Spider-Man sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom