• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The fun part of the game is actually beating it. You know, completing objectives, unlocking characters, bringing in new content.
Who the heck plays Smash for the single-player=??? :facepalm:

Literally the only thing people play smash for is the multi-player.

If you take out the multi-player of Smash Wii U and 3DS, no one would buy it.
People play smash cuz its fun, ya, but why is it fun? Because theres a sense of reward for playing.
Yeah, it's called "Winning."
Theres a reason to continue. There was a reason why I completed adventure with every character before I quit. That "what if I missed something?" Feeling is why I completed everything, and had a blast doing it.
Are you sure you're not talking about Mario, Donkey Kong, or Zelda=??? :confused:
For the record, the most memorable part of Smash for me is the "challenger approaching" screen. Im sure others would agree.
The most memorable thing is hyping up matches and playing awesome matches with friends.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Better cut Luigi & Jigglypuff then
Cutting luigi, even if he were a direct clone of Mario, is never an option. A Nintendo/Mario Spin-off game without both the Mario brothers is just not acceptable.

I've said before that I wish Meowth or Pit had been chosen in Smash 64 as opposed to Jigglypuff. I do find Jigg's smash situation to be less than optimum. Unfortunately, she's a fan-semi-favorite "original 12," so I don't think that's even remotely likely. There's a reason I mentioned Lucas as opposed to Jigglypuff.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Of course multi-player is the most important factor, but single player is also an important factor. There's people that actually enjoy the stuff 1P mode has to offer, y'know.

AND unlocking stuff.

Are you sure you're not talking about Mario, Donkey Kong, or Zelda=??? :confused:
It can be applied to Smash. Some people (like me) like to complete games, and given what Smash has to offer, it also counts.

The most memorable thing is hyping up matches and playing awesome matches with friends.
AND, again, unlocking stuff.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I play single player modes to collect trophies and to unlock characters/stages but ultimately, I play multiplayer modes because it is fun!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai's mindgames are getting pretty annoying. First with the Pyrosphere, and now with Pokemon.
If you didn't see his "mind games" coming a mile away after the whole Ness "up until now" situation from the pre-Brawl days, then you weren't prepared for Smash speculation again.

The "Will he/won't he" feeling of the Punch-Out!! stage confirming Little Mac, the "will he/won't he?" for the Fire Emblem Awakening stage with Roy/Chrom, the "Will he/won't he" Ridley stage hazard/playable character thing... all of this was easy to foresee.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

First dont tell me how to enjoy my games

Second, Brawl was largely based around single-player, so I have to ask what the heck are YOU talking about?

Third, you can win in single player and in multi player, either by beating it or beating your friends

Fourth, theres always stuff to unlock. Are you aware of the message that comes up in Melee after completing a million matches? It says "go outside" , something mostly everyone missed.

Last, I would have to agree, matches with friends are fun, but I was talkong about within the game, not something you fabricayed between your friends.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I play the game for fun. When you have no one else to play multiplayer with, single player is a godsend.
Not really... I had no one else to play with and I still prefer multiplayer modes... single player modes get boring after you unlock all the characters/stages and got all the trophies of the playable characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I play the game for fun. When you have no one else to play multiplayer with, single player is a godsend.
Yeah, but what sells the game to you, the single-player, or the multiplayer=???

With Smash probably having competent online now, what will you play more, online Smash (in Smash Wii U and 3DS), or solo smash (in Smash Wii U and 3DS)=???

Face it, multiplayer sells games, especially online multiplayer. That's a big reason why Brawl (and it's crappy online/overblown terrible story mode) was wayyyyyyyy outsold by Mario Kart Wii.

All the single-player modes in smash are easy to beat anyways. I unlocked everything in Melee literally in a day once where I was bored. With Brawl... I've never been bored enough to play that game un-modded!!! :laugh: However, I will say that Brawl did it right by making almost every mode have a two-player option.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lucas and Ness, despite have the same FS and sharing 3 of 4 specials are pretty different, Change 5 of Lucas' moves and he's his own character, I think 2 MOTHER characters are fine and it should stay that way. As for ROB he's way to important to Nintendo's history to be cut and got a lot of spotlight in the SSE, I can only see ROB being cut due to lack of time but even then there are characters who would be cut before he is.
I hate how people think shared specials makes you a clone. Granted, it makes you slightly similar that you share those moves, but they are all different and have different properties.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you didn't see his "mind games" coming a mile away after the whole Ness "up until now" situation from the pre-Brawl days, then you weren't prepared for Smash speculation again.

The "Will he/won't he" feeling of the Punch-Out!! stage confirming Little Mac, the "will he/won't he?" for the Fire Emblem Awakening stage with Roy/Chrom, the "Will he/won't he" Ridley stage hazard/playable character thing... all of this was easy to foresee.
The Labrador Nintendog confirmed. :troll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

There are indeed many casuals that play both single player and multi-player, and I agree Smash would stink if multi-player was removed, but there are people who play single player modes, tons in fact. Saying "people only play Smash for multi-player" is no excuse to remove the secret characters. Unlocking things is an enjoyable challenge for many people, though I understand why there are people that dislike it.

courte

Smash Lord
No character from Brawl will be cut for any reason, but time constrainsts.

If that ended up being true, this game would shift over from a definitive purchase day one to a 50/50 or a wait for price drop. #Baggage.

Also, Belmont deserves the spot over anyone else at KONAMI
IMO

Snake was interesting, but I think Brawl should be left with Brawl, and Melee should be left with Melee [though looking at how the game is progressing, **** to that right, huh?]
In the exact same game, with a completely different cast of characters maybe all Konami, or Konami X Capcom smash style, i'd have more fun with Snake. The kicks were fun I guess, but without being hamstrung by family friendliness, he could maybe use his arsenal? Not for the purpose of shock value or blood and gore, but for character integrity, unless you've seen a Metal Gear game where Solid Snake does any of those Air moves, Up-Tilt, or blows up a rocket at point blank and doesn't take any damage, which has never made any sense considering they have no problem handing out self damaging attacks left and right!

If, and please read the letters I and F, a Belmont were to appear, it'd be great to have Simon in a representation not super realistic, but not NES 8-bit either. It can be done I think. Somewhere in the middle CastleVania 2 SImon's quest appearance perhaps?

Number 2

I know there's a page for it somewhere here. It'd be such a good look, and his moveset could definitely be made while staying true to the character

[If you wouldn't want to see Metal Gear franchise fight Resident Evil you're on drugs. Or Castlevania vs... I dunno darkstalkers? Onimusha? what's the capcom equivalent of castlevania? someone get back to me on that]

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why must people continually insist Lucario may potentially have a chance of getting cut?
Because people still have the Mewtwo cut fresh in their minds, and they fear such a situation repeating, and they keep their small fragile minds stuck in Pokémon characters only instead of realizing that if a non-clone is cut it will be ROB or Wolf or Snake or no one.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Why must people continually insist Lucario may potentially have a chance of getting cut?
I'm not insisting it, though I can see it happening, hence "even remotely likely at this point." I don't find it likely, and I can easily see all Pokemon reps from Brawl returning along with Mewtwo, which at this point I actually think is the most likely case, but I can see Lucario or the Jiggs being cut, but again, I'm not trying to get others to think the same.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I hate how people think shared specials makes you a clone. Granted, it makes you slightly similar that you share those moves, but they are all different and have different properties.
Yea, that's the funny part their PKFire/Thunder and PSI Magnet act differently from each other.

courte

Smash Lord
This was mentioned in a few above posts.

It's importance to Nintendo's history is far greater than that of Wii Fit Trainer's, adding WFT and removing R.O.B. makes absolutely no sense to me.
So this is about WFT? It seems to me, if cuts are coming, and I personally do believe, hope even, that they are coming, then that's just that. This is no offense to you, but i'm going to stop asking that question. Not that your answer wasn't valid, but it's one that I see every where. Importance to Nintendo's history. To the point where it makes me wonder which character in the game isn't important to Nintendo's history? [I personally say all characters who've been in deserve a shot, but should not be given lifetime passes. If this series were to continue, then it would just become bloated like Dragon Ball and Naruto games. Also, theres no point in making a new game if you're going to make the same game you made last time. We both know i'm not talking exactly the same, but in a cross over fighter, roster matters big time.

Does someone know if there is a poll for More characters or More balance/change anywhere on smash boards?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There are indeed many casuals that play both single player and multi-player, and I agree Smash would stink if multi-player was removed, but there are people who play single player modes, tons in fact.
People play the single-player, but the biggest draw is the multiplayer.

I mean seriously, I've put maybe 10 hours into Smash single-player content. I've put thousands of hours into each games' multiplayer. I assume the ratios are a bit closer, but most everyone plays the multiplayer like 5 times as much; in fact, it's probably more like 10-1.

I mean even in Brawl all the game modes (sans Classic Mode and All-Star Mode) had multiplayer options.

Like I said, multiplayer is the draw. Matches with computers can only do so much for so long, especially when people get good enough to realize the CPU's suck.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If Mewtwo gets in, how should his mega forms be implemented.
I think a final smash transformation between his classic and Y form. Like Samus' final smash.
He could also have an alternate costume where it is his classic form and X form.

courte

Smash Lord
I hate how folks always assume mechanical clone as opposed to conceptual clone when I bring up things seeming too similar.
If it's any consolation, I always think of both when clone is mentioned, but 90/10 conceptual/mechanical.

We play Street fighter too, people. This isn't the first game with clones.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
If Mewtwo gets in, how should his mega forms be implemented.
I think a final smash transformation between his classic and Y form. Like Samus' final smash.
He could also have an alternate costume where it is his classic form and X form.

How do mega forms work in Pokemon?

If it's any consolation, I always think of both when clone is mentioned, but 90/10 conceptual/mechanical.

We play Street fighter too, people. This isn't the first game with clones.

-I love the lack of capital letters in your username.
-I love the lack of an avatar.

-I love how eloquently you speak.
-I do like the way you think and what you have to say.
-I don't play Street Fighter, or any "other fighting games."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If a character shares special moves with another character means that the character is a clone then I guess that makes Charizard a Bowser clone.

I must agree that Lucas is not a Ness clone. The specials may not differ as much as Luigi's specials when compared to Mario's specials, but Lucas' moveset overall is very different from Ness, more so than Luigi is different than Mario overall. (I admit I did not realize how different they were until recently, but I never considered Lucas to be a "clone")

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Second, Brawl was largely based around single-player, so I have to ask what the heck are YOU talking about?
Then why the heck did Skaurai say that the SSE-esk Adventure mode will never return=???

Because no one cares about the single-player that much. It's nice extras to have, but it isn't a deal breaker. A bad multiplayer is a deal breaker.

I've seen maybe 11 people complain about there being no SSE again after hearing that the SSE took up over 3/5th's of Brawl's development, and 5 of them were on the awful Smash Bros. section of GameFAQs, 5 of them were on one of those awful Nintendo fanboy fan blog sites filled with people who hate everything not Nintendo, and 1 was some random poster here that no one remembers the name of.
Last, I would have to agree, matches with friends are fun, but I was talkong about within the game, not something you fabricayed between your friends.
So you're ignoring the multiplayer to make it all about the single-player in order to slew your opinion into the only option=???

Seems legit.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
All the single-player modes in smash are easy to beat anyways. I unlocked everything in Melee literally in a day once where I was bored.
Including the Diskun trophy, which requires you to get EVERY SINGLE SPECIAL BONUS? If so, you're sick. If not, then you haven't unlocked EVERYTHING IT HAS TO OFFER.

You see, believe it or not, some people actually enjoy challenges, because they have the need to 100% the game. A game can offer a lot, so much one doesn't no what else there's to get. So they beat any challenges available and see what happens. It's satisfying to see all that hard work you've inputted into the game being payed off. That's one reason people like single player mode.

Of course, not everyone has the same tastes, or enjoy the same thing equally, but it's for the best to respect that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
People play the single-player, but the biggest draw is the multiplayer.

I mean seriously, I've put maybe 10 hours into Smash single-player content. I've put thousands of hours into each games' multiplayer. I assume the ratios are a bit closer, but most everyone plays the multiplayer like 5 times as much; in fact, it's probably more like 10-1.

I mean even in Brawl all the game modes (sans Classic Mode and All-Star Mode) had multiplayer options.

Like I said, multiplayer is the draw. Matches with computers can only do so much for so long, especially when people get good enough to realize the CPU's suck.
And like I said, I agree on Multi-player being the draw. Single player not being played enough is still no excuse to remove secret characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Labrador Nintendog confirmed. :troll:
...I'm still not ruling that out... :facepalm:

A Nintendog seems like the best "WTF?" character ever for Sakurai.

Don't rule it out guys, because I think if Sakurai is the director of future Smash games, it is gonna happen eventually, because his crazy "what is my next challenge?" mind will think of an incredible moveset, skillset, and playstyle ever for a Nintendog character, much like Sakurai did with Fox, Captain Falcon, The Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Captain Olimar.

courte

Smash Lord
Then why the heck did Skaurai say that the SSE-esk Adventure mode will never return=???

Because no one cares about the single-player that much. It's nice extras to have, but it isn't a deal breaker. A bad multiplayer is a deal breaker.

I've seen maybe 11 people complain about there being no SSE again after hearing that the SSE took up over 3/5th's of Brawl's development, and 5 of them were on the awful Smash Bros. section of GameFAQs, 5 of them were on one of those awful Nintendo fanboy fan blog sites filled with people who hate everything not Nintendo, and 1 was some random poster here that no one remembers the name of.
I have to disagree. Not with many people caring about the single player that much, that's a sad truth. That's not to say people don't enjoy it, or don't play it. It's just that once it's been beat, that's about it. There's no reason to go back compared to multiplayer. That's not a bad thing, that's just the way it is.

However the reason no one batted in eye about SSE not returning is because I'd argue most people were fine with Classic, All-Star, Adventure, and the stadium as they were. SSE was far too large, and too long. On harder difficulties it was just ridiculous. And the bottom line at the end of the day; crossover fighters really shouldn't have such a large focus on story.

I personally thought to myself many times, 'if they hadn't spent so much time and energy and money making this undeniably impressive adventure mode, maybe x or y could have been in this game.' and i'm not just talking about characters. I liked that melee had separate stages for each target test. Now it's ridiculous to say something like that considering how much was given in the game.

But bottom line, they aren't spending time working on a way too big adventure mode and cutscenes for, I and a few other people must have in the back on their mind 'yay more characters, deeper engine, more balance, better stages sugoi'

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Including the Diskun trophy, which requires you to get EVERY SINGLE BONUS? If so, you're sick. If not, then you haven't unlocked EVERYTHING IT HAS TO OFFER.
Yep. I got it right after I installed Pikmin on my game disc, along with the "you unlocked every trophy" message.

It was really easy, albeit time consuming. The Classic Mode and Adventure Mode stuff I had to do to get Mr. Game & Watch in Melee (I HATED, HATED, HATED doing it), and I got over 1,500 feet in the Home Run Contest to get some stage and beat every 100-Man Melee and every Break the Targets to get a stage (I found out the former wasn't needed).

So after that I had to beat every All-Star Mode (I did it on Very Hard to make it hard; it wasn't, sans that time a Bomb-omb almost killed me), every 100 Man-Melee, every Home-Run contest past like 500 feet (including getting over 1,500 feet with multiple characters), getting over 5 kills with every characters Cruel Melee, as well as Mr. Game & Watch's Classic and All-Star Mode.

I did it about the time I quit Brawl (late 2009). It was pretty stale. It made me mad my brother was busy that Winter with stuff (he's who I usually face).

And all this leads me to my greatest point: The single-player is pretty lame, but with friends, it's awesome. That's why single-player is essentially dead now in future smash games, since inevitably almost every mode will have a multiplayer option, including online (hopefully every mode), which is only a good thing, because that's 1,000 times better.

Also, I recently (as in about 3 or 4 months ago) replayed a few levels of the SSE with my brother (on Project M) and my goodness the camera was terrible. We tried it on vBrawl too, and it was still terrible. What is with that=???

courte

Smash Lord
I wonder if people look at their movesets and take into account balance and functionality as a fighter. Or do they just look at, 'well he does this in the game, so i've got to put this here'

there's tons of room for interpretation. i just took a look at a couple of movesets for simon belmont over on deviant art. sad. every special move was an item, which don't get me wrong makes some sort of sense, but why hamstring him like that? with air, smash, and tilt attacks available, get creative. more creative than marth at least. i hate that butthead sometimes

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And like I said, I agree on Multi-player being the draw. Single player not being played enough is still no excuse to remove secret characters.
...I think I went past that a while ago.

And what I said was I think having "secret characters" as an OPTION or just for single-player would be the way to go.

That way, if you don't want secret characters, you can get that "Challenger Approaching!" banner (in the latter just in the single-player), which I'm sure would be hype inducing.

And if the "Challenger Approaching!" banner means so much to so many people, why isn't that just a game mode=??? :confused: (I'm legit saying it should be)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wonder if people look at their movesets and take into account balance and functionality as a fighter. Or do they just look at, 'well he does this in the game, so i've got to put this here'

there's tons of room for interpretation. i just took a look at a couple of movesets for simon belmont over on deviant art. sad. every special move was an item, which don't get me wrong makes some sort of sense, but why hamstring him like that? with air, smash, and tilt attacks available, get creative. more creative than marth at least. i hate that butthead sometimes
Quick question. Do you think Snake would ever be cut for a different Konami Rep? I mean, I don't find him a shoo-in, but I don't think it's likely that he would be cut in favor of a different character from the same company.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
John, Melee's single player may have been easy for you, but it's not going to be easy to get the hang of for everyone. And not that many players will be able to unlock everything in a day.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You see, believe it or not, some people actually enjoy challenges, because they have the need to 100% the game.
Yeah, but that's easy to accomplish. The greatest challenge is getting good at Smash, and to beat other (talented) players.

Static challenges are nice and cute, but really, the ultimate challenges in life are not so set in stone, but rather, are very specific to a person.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yep. I got it right after I installed Pikmin on my game disc, along with the "you unlocked every trophy" message.

It was really easy, albeit time consuming. The Classic Mode and Adventure Mode stuff I had to do to get Mr. Game & Watch in Melee (I HATED, HATED, HATED doing it), and I got over 1,500 feet in the Home Run Contest to get some stage and beat every 100-Man Melee and every Break the Targets to get a stage (I found out the former wasn't needed).

So after that I had to beat every All-Star Mode (I did it on Very Hard to make it hard; it wasn't, sans that time a Bomb-omb almost killed me), every 100 Man-Melee, every Home-Run contest past like 500 feet (including getting over 1,500 feet with multiple characters), getting over 5 kills with every characters Cruel Melee, as well as Mr. Game & Watch's Classic and All-Star Mode.

I did it about the time I quit Brawl (late 2009). It was pretty stale. It made me mad my brother was busy that Winter with stuff (he's who I usually face).

And all this leads me to my greatest point: The single-player is pretty lame, but with friends, it's awesome. That's why single-player is essentially dead now in future smash games, since inevitably almost every mode will have a multiplayer option, including online (hopefully every mode), which is only a good thing, because that's 1,000 times better.

Either you're lying about saying you did that in a day from scratch, or you're godlike.

But the thing is: you think it's lame, but some, or most of us, don't. I understand why'd you don't like single player mode, and say that you'd rather have only multiplayer, but to say that they should remove everything altogether? That sounds selfish.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

So you're ignoring the multiplayer to make it all about the single-player in order to slew your opinion into the only option=???

Seems legit.
The fact that it took that much dev time means single player is significant, so I dont know what youre talking about.

I didnt ignore multiplayer. I stated that its fun with friends. But the memorable moment is the challenger approaching screen.

whatever, im done with this because all your arguments are subjective and people are allowed to play games however they want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom