• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, I would actually like Jack Sheriff mainly from the perspective of being a cowboy. You know, being well known for being able to tame the rowdiest bulls and having sharp shooting skills and all that.

Again, this is probably my historical bias talking again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And what has Waluigi done to be playable? :awesome::reverse:
Just as much as Charizard. Charizard only appeared as a Pokeball Pokemon(a summon) and got in. Waluigi only was a regular and AT(same as Charizard).

The only difference between them in namely their popularity. Also, Sakurai does joke about "I know he isn't playable, but he does do something in the game". So it's entirely possible he thinks he may be worthy of a spot. He has not shown that towards any other Mario character besides clearly Dr. Mario who was meant to come back anyway.

I don't think his chances are super high, possibly better than Toad's, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai. I do want Toad first, to note. But I want all returnees. My order of wants, of Mario characters(including the rpg's) Dr. Mario > Toad > Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario > Waluigi > Paper Mario. While I like the last character's games the most, he really does have a few problems. The last Paper Mario was somewhat poorly received and is not that great. Super Paper Mario wasn't all that popular either. He's also an alternate interpretation of Mario, and Sakurai may not care about the rpg's like he does about having both Links in.

For likeliness, I'd say it goes Dr. Mario > Waluigi > Anybody else. The reason I say this is because Dr. Mario is a full character and was supposed to be in Brawl, and that Waluigi clearly appeals to the man, as a fighter to a degree. Toad, he does not believe should fight. But Waluigi is more believable because he attacks specifically while as an AT. It simply means he thinks Waluigi has some fighting skills or would fight.

As I said, Toad should be in first(with Doctor Mario back, probably as alt. Character in the same with Zero Suit Samus is, minus the transformation). The rest are hard to say. Also, I didn't mention the 3rd Party Mario RPG(just happens to literally be the game's name) characters, as I don't see them likely or the best possible choices right now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Never knew about 4Chan until that old "Smash Universe" rumor on the old thread. I clicked on the link to the rumor, can't say I didn't throw up at what I saw. 4Chan is "Insert AVGN sad but true insult here."

Mods should have helped sort things out (should do that more in general around this forum), but it's tough when only Mario_Sonic is the only one doing anything, but even he's not around 24/7.

I think SmashChu got about half of those characters right. Other half however is totally like your opinion man. :smirk:
Karate Joe and Sheriff are both SmashChu. Waddle Dee is all Chrono/Star/SmashChu.

Why anyone ever thinks Waluigi would even have a remote chance of getting in is beyond me.
Meh, Waluigi has a character that makes people laugh, sounds good enough reason to let him in if you ask me. I'm not betting on him but still one has to admit he does have his own unique charm. He at least deserves his own spin-off game, preferably a "Wario & Waluigi" RPG, the game would write itself. lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mods should have helped sort things out (should do that more in general around this forum), but it's tough when only Mario_Sonic is the only one doing anything, but even he's not around 24/7.
This is probably why this thread in particular keeps getting off topic and nobody does anything about it. It does feel kind of jarring when mods rarely do anything around here, and then things go down the crap hole because of it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Karate Joe and Sheriff are both SmashChu. Waddle Dee is all Chrono/Star/SmashChu.
Please, I don't think Smashchu even likes Waddle Dee. Right now he's my champion (for personal and practical reasons). Until Dragon Quest VII gets released in NA, and then I'll go on my semi-annual "why Dragon Quest is the best fit for Super Smash Bros" routine.

Waddle Dee's spear is the spear that will pierce the heavens!

This is probably why this thread in particular keeps getting off topic and nobody does anything about it. It does feel kind of jarring when mods rarely do anything around here, and then things go down the crap hole because of it.
Going off-topic is one thing, flaming is another.

Feels

Smash Cadet
Meh, my shot at making a list:

Little Mac (obvious, popular character, also revived with the Wii version)
King Hippo (controversial, but could fill the obligatory super-heavyweight spot, also revived in Wii version)
Takamaru (classic, Nintendoland brought him back from the dead)
Bowser Jr. (one of the only Mario characters who has merit to getting in IMO, not something stupid like Toad or Waluigi.)
Girahim (major character in SS)
Palutena (Uprising)
One to two of either Viridi, Medusa, or Hades (Uprising, once again)
6th Gen Pokemon (impossible to predict atm)
XXX-Gen Trainer (also impossible to predict, I mean back before Brawl who would've said that Ivysaur would be getting in?)
Mewtwo (since the fans seems to want him back)
Obligatory Ike replacement (since no one can seem to agree who it'll be)
Any range of Namco Bandai characters (Pac-Man or a Tekken character most likely, but they have other properties too.)
Xenoblade-character ( I haven't played it yet!)
A Golden Sun character has a good chance of getting in

Other Stuff to note:
Ganondorf stays (maybe since he lacks an appearance besides OoT 3D he can finally use his sword??)
Toon Link stays (Spirit tracks)
Mario and Luigi gains his Spin-thing from Galaxy as his down-B
I think Star Fox is on it's limit for characters
Roy has a chance to get in using his redesign from Awakening
Donkey Kong gets no Characters (controversial, but none of them appeared in DK Country Returns)
Ridley does not appear as a character (very controversial, the character is gigantic and can fly, so I don't see him coming in, I also feel like that If he was going to be a character he'd be one by now. I could be very wrong in this one however.)
Balloon Fighter has a chance if getting in (he was considered for Melee you know, and was in Nintendoland)
Waddle Dee will never come in (c'mon guys, it's like trying to add a Goomba, Kirby already has enough characters)
Animal Crossing will never have a character
I think a Baby Mario and Luigi character would be cool (two in one, but they hold hands all the time so it's not an IC situation, probably not happening but a man can dream)
Sonic and Snake stay, and may add some more of their own characters
Samurai Goroh doesn't really fit as a character for this game IMO
Some of the eShop's first-party's, such as Pushmo and Crashmo, Dillon's Rolling Western and the Samurai one could possibly get in.
Anyone with a brain would realize how ridiculous it is to think that Waluigi or Toad would even come in, they have absolutely no merit to being characters and both of them have really done nothing worthy of being a character for SSB in any mainstream Mario game (Hell, Waluigi isn't even in one of those, his whole character is competely just a spot-filler for Mario sports games, I'm glad Mario Kart 7 got rid of him.)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be fair we ourselves do create a lot of the conflict/derping.

We just need a basic kick in the butt every now and then. That said when we have 5 mods but only 1 ever does their job we have a problem (unfortunately, from what I've learned in the DR, mods aren't picked for how they participate in a forum, rather it's more at random or contributions to the hacking/competitive community). Which is a bummer since I could name several people around here who'd be good replacements.

Waddle Dee's spear is the spear that will pierce the heavens!
Only once he's thrown out of Dedede's sleeve. :troll:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Only once he's thrown out of Dedede's sleeve. :troll:

Bandanna Dee also happens to be a darker orange and slightly larger compared to the lighter colored Waddle Dee cannon fodder in KRTDL

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So let me get this straight...

Starphoenix = Waddle Dee
SmashChu = Sheriff
Bkupa666 = King K. Rool
ChronoBound = Roy
Oasis_S = Ridley
GoldenYuiitusin = Waluigi
Diddy Kong = Impa
Arcadenik = Duck Hunt Dog
Young Horsetail = Starfy
Shortiecanbrawl = Krystal
Habanero = Takamaru

I might be off on some of these or might be missing some notable ones.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Change Young Horsetail to Starfy, and that is pretty much spot on.

Although the old crew know me best for my rabid Slime support...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
--- = Mega Man?
I don't really have a specific character that I'm fanboy-ish towards, or if I did I'm past it now. I just have a MM avi because of the 25th Anniversary and am out of ideas for new one at the moment. I'm perfectly fine with him not getting in and can see it happening. Either way LMAO at this, definitely should go in the Backroom "Who we are" Thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Waluigi would be good on a roster with many characters, talking like, 60+ here. Otherwise, I wouldn't like him for being on a spot I'd rather see Toad at. Dr.Mario the same way.

Though I'd still like Pichu back, but only as an alternative option to Pikachu, and having Raichu coupled with this also wouldn't hurt. I still like my idea of having Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu (and solo Pika) as a character, however unlikely it'll be.

Young Link = optional. Maybe 3DS exclusive (I think the 3DS might have the exact Melee Zelda roster cause of OoT 3DS)
Roy = only likely if we get 4 Fire Emblem characters. Possibly an addition late as a Luigified clone of Marth.
Mewtwo = must have. If he isn't in I'll rage.
Pichu = Only if coupled with Pikachu / Raichu.
Dr.Mario = Rather not have him, but maybe as a last minute addition.

Think Habenero got it right on the list of who wants what character in the most. Well, I want Mewtwo and K.Rool even more badly than Impa, but I guess I'm the biggest Impa supporter here. Though, am by far not the only one.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yes, I forgot about Manly Spirit and his fascination for Lyn. Also forgot a few other things too like N3ON with Issac and Opossum with Muddy Mole.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's see if you can remember mine. HINT: It's NOT Kumatora.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Donkey Kong gets no Characters (controversial, but none of them appeared in DK Country Returns)
Rhat will have little bearing on their popularity.

Waddle Dee will never come in (c'mon guys, it's like trying to add a Goomba, Kirby already has enough characters)
Yoshi and Pikachu are playable, and they are more associated with their species.

Samurai Goroh doesn't really fit as a character for this game IMO
He fits, just wouldn't be all that spectacular of a character.

Anyone with a brain would realize how ridiculous it is to think that Waluigi or Toad would even come in, they have absolutely no merit to being characters and both of them have really done nothing worthy of being a character for SSB in any mainstream Mario game (Hell, Waluigi isn't even in one of those, his whole character is competely just a spot-filler for Mario sports games, I'm glad Mario Kart 7 got rid of him.)
Yet Waluigi is an Assist Trophy in Brawl and Toad is playable in two Mario titles.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Karate Joe and Sheriff probably has more to do with Smashchu, but the rest are fairly accurate.
Hey, I can be conservative, too. Here's my list of brand-new, never-before-playable-in-Smash newcomers. Mind you I am only listing Nintendo-owned first-party characters even though I am a supporter of second-party Nintendo characters like Isaac (or Matthew) and Starfy and third-party characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Slime, and Simon Belmont.

1. Balloon Fighter (seems unlikely but Sakurai could change his mind about the whole "useless without balloons" thing, considering how Olimar is useless without Pikmin, also because of Nintendo Land)
  2. Chrom (he's the main lord of the latest Fire Emblem game, he seems like the kind of character that would attract Sakurai's interest)
  3. Dixie Kong (was planned to be in Brawl at one point)
  4. King K. Rool (the obligatory heavyweight newcomer, high fan demand)
  5. Little Mac (appeals the West, popular retro series that went through a revival)
  6. Mii (Nintendo's biggest new series since the beginning of the Wii era and is still going on strong well into the beginning of the Wii U era today)
  7. Palutena (the obligatory female newcomer, got Sakurai's attention, popular demand)
  8. Pokemon Trainer Gold (seems unlikely but I think Sakurai considered him at one point, pre-Melee, also because of Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver)
  9. Ridley (high fan demand in the West, gives Japanese fans a new Metroid character, both sides are happy)
  10. Shulk (this is mainly due to the success of Operation Rainfall getting all three games to the West)
  11. Takamaru (Sakurai seems interested in him, might get a revival sometime between 2013-2016, Nintendo Land helps a lot)
  12. Toad (the last of the major Mario characters, playable roles in New Super Mario Bros. Wii+U, iconic Nintendo character)
  13. Villager (seems like a wild card but Animal Crossing was the only other new (post-Melee) series besides Pikmin that Sakurai thought deserved a character)
  14. Waddle Dee (seems like a wild card but he's slowly becoming more and more popular due to Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
  15. Zoroark (the obligatory new gen Pokemon, seems to be positioned as the new "Lucario" of the 5th gen by the Pokemon Company)

I know they are unlikely but I think these are some solid choices as far as wild cards go.

• Captain N (the first character who didn't originate in video games? sheer madness!)
  • Duck Hunt Dog (one of the few iconic characters from the NES era not yet playable in Smash, the obligatory WTF retro newcomer)
  • Impa (whether she replaces Sheik or not, she still could easily take over Sheik's moveset if Sakurai saw it fit to do so)
  • Kiddy Kong (as Dixie Kong's tag team partner and to revive Sakurai's Kong tag team idea he had in Brawl)
  • Tingle (instead of Balloon Fighter, was an Assist Trophy, had one post-Brawl game Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love)

Feels

Smash Cadet
Rhat will have little bearing on their popularity.

Yoshi and Pikachu are playable, and they are more associated with their species.

Yet Waluigi is an Assist Trophy in Brawl and Toad is playable in two Mario titles.
Oh that's funny. You are trying to justify Waluigi because he's an assist trophy? You have completely disregarded how Waluigi is only an spot-filler for Mario spin-offs, I don't see how him being an Assist Trophy justifies him being a character, if anything that only strengthens the idea that he'll return as an Assist Trophy in this game.

You are also trying to justify Waddle Dee based on that Yoshi and Pikachu are based off if their Species, but that still doesn't change the fact that Waddle Dee's are minor common grunt enemies in the Kirby series, not to mention him already being in Dedede's move set.

Toad being a character based on him being a clone of the Mario bros in NSMBWii is also ridiculous if you ask me, he's still a minor grunt character that's also taken up in a movest already (Peach), a testament to how unimportant Toad is.

I also still don't see a reason to add new DK characters, especially when they revived the series and that none if those characters make an appearance in it.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe KumaOso meant Krystal... he was always talking about her staff... and changing stances or something like that.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
1. Mii (by far the most successful new series since the Wii's launch and has made the transition into the Wii U era as well).
2. Palutena (popular choice, unique possibilities and Uprising was relatively successful)
3. Bowser Jr. (while arguably Toad is more deserving, Jr has made a name for himself in the Mario series and by far has the greatest movepool possibilities of the other Mario candidates).
4. King K Rool (in high demand)
5 Ridley (in high demand).
6. Little Mac (has much support from the west, feels like a no brainer to me)
7. Takamaru (Sakurai has expressed interest in his series and Nintendo has been giving him special notice as of late).
8. Chrom ( I honestly don't know a lot about FE. I like Chrom's design though and he seems pretty likely).
9. Zoroark (only pokemon character besides Mewtwo that I am perfectly ok with adding).

after that it's more or less personal choices that i have doubts about getting in.
1. Dino from Fossil Fighters (I imagine him as being a summoner type character and just think that would be really cool. and dinosaurs of course)
2. Sherrif (Cowboy, enough said)
3. Mike Jones from Star Tropics (I love the game and he's got great potential).
4 Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western (great design, great persona, game is solid, and he would fit right in).
5. Lip (I was sold by the thread more than anything else).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also still don't see a reason to add new DK characters, especially when they revived the series and that none if those characters make an appearance in it.

:phone:
Wait, what?

Seriously?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe KumaOso meant Krystal... he was always talking about her staff... and changing stances or something like that.
It's one I generally prefer not to bring up even less than Krystal due to the sentiments of my top character not fitting in Smash Bros.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I might feel more like Lip-person nowadays, but Starfy's spot-on. (-l3l-);;;

3Bis: Sweet to hear, makes me proud that I can show Lip's worthy of support despite her glass-cannony likeliness.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh that's funny. You are trying to justify Waluigi because he's an assist trophy? You have completely disregarded how Waluigi is only an spot-filler for Mario spin-offs, I don't see how him being an Assist Trophy justifies him being a character, if anything that only strengthens the idea that he'll return as an Assist Trophy in this game.
Considering we are debating Smash Bros and not Mario Kart, I think his status as an Assist Trophy has more bearing. If his being an Assist Trophy disqualifies him from ever becoming playable, then I guess you can kiss Isaac goodbye too. As a matter of fact, Charizard was a Pokéball in Melee, didn't stop him from becoming playable in Brawl. We've only had Assist Trophies for one game, I don't think any of us stand on much precedence to claim what Sakurai will or will not do. As it stand now, there is no disputing that out of all of the Mario characters, he at least considered him at one point.

You are also trying to justify Waddle Dee based on that Yoshi and Pikachu are based off if their Species, but that still doesn't change the fact that Waddle Dee's are minor common grunt enemies in the Kirby series, not to mention him already being in Dedede's move set.
Didn't stop R.O.B from being playable when we had the R.O.B Army in Subspace. There are ways you can differentiate things from each other. A bandanna, spear, adjustment in size and color would be pretty obvious.

Toad being a character based on him being a clone of the Mario bros in NSMBWii is also ridiculous if you ask me, he's still a minor grunt character that's also taken up in a moveset already (Peach), a testament to how unimportant Toad is.
You're on shaky ground if you are going to use Peach's attack as evidence, considering characters moveset are tweaked every game. It would not be anything for Sakurai to have Peach use Toadsworth. Even still, you're attributing logic to a game built upon bending the norms set within each series.

Maybe because people want the characters?

D

Deleted member

All Mario games are spin-offs. And for the longest time, Luigi was nothing but filler for a Player 2 that was slowly losing his purpose. He didn't branch out with his own merits until AFTER his Smash debut.

Except that the one particular Waddle Dee is a playable character. It could have been someone else, like Knuckle Joe as a permanent Fighter, given how he had been "brought back" in Brawl, but it was the Bandana Waddle Dee, who is pretty much the Bowser Jr. of Dedede's Army.

Toad being a character based on him being a clone of the Mario bros in NSMBWii is also ridiculous if you ask me, he's still a minor grunt character that's also taken up in a movest already (Peach), a testament to how unimportant Toad is.
The fact you think Toad is part of Peach's moveset because he's unimportant is ridiculous if you ask me. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact that Peach practically had nothing to use for a moveset given that her main shtick is getting kidnapped. :rolleyes:
And all bets are off after Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff is less important to Pokemon that Toad is to Mario, and unlike Pikachu, doesn't have any excuse to why such a minor grunt character would be added.

Due to popularity, which is a big thing for plenty of characters in Smash already.
Also, Diddy wasn't in Jungle Beat, and he still made it in Brawl (with Dixie planned as a tag-team ala DKC2, no less!).
Luigi hadn't been in a "major" Mario game since Super Mario World (and even then, was a filler Player 2). He was in Smash 64.
Pokemon Trainer Red was irrelevant by the time Brawl came out since we had Emerald as well as Diamond and Pearl inbetween FireRed and LeafGreen and Brawl.
MARTH had not been in a game since 1994, yes was in Melee before any of the main heroes that debuted after his latest game like Sigurd, Celice, and Leaf. Heck, a new game was even in development and its main character was added in Melee before his game even came out! (That's :roymelee: in case you didn't figure it out). But not before Marth.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
You're on shaky ground if you are going to use Peach's attack as evidence, considering characters moveset are tweaked every game. It would not be anything for Sakurai to have Peach use Toadsworth. Even still, you're attributing logic to a game built upon bending the norms set within each series.
I think Peach's move should even be changed to involve Perry Parosol using maybe the Chargebrella or maybe just another deflect type move like it is now

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I thought Tom Nook would of been obvious since KumaOso has a fascination with raccoon, but I digress.
The funny thing is, if Sakurai didn't have his strong personal conviction about Animal Crossing characters not being appropriate for the roster, I'd say that someone like Tom Nook, or Animal Crosser, would be the front runners for the next game. They could easily be to Super Smash Bros what Phoenix Wright is to Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

Summoning Gyroids, tossing furniture, bumbling their way to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom