• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Having an opinion doesn't make someone full of themselves. Really being full of yourself is dismissing others' opinions.

You can have whatever point of view you want, but the guy actually making the game doesn't share the same one you do. Sakurai might be "full of himself" by your logic, but he's the only one whose opinion on clones actually matters.
Though, the name of the game we play here is "who understands Sakurai's thought process the most," and there's evidence to suggest Sakurai isn't a fan of clones himself, and may continue moving away from the idea. So maybe as long as you can reason that Sakurai would back you up, it's perfectly fine to dismiss someone's opinion or ideas. :awesome: This must be hard for fellows like Kuma and Manly, who Sakurai has...

Forsaken.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sakurai's brain is the most talked about brain in the world probably, after Einstein. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
After watching that video, I'm definitely reminded that there's a lot of cool stuff in Melee that makes it appealing, but that there's a lot of stupid stuff in it too.

Though, the name of the game we play here is "who understands Sakurai's thought process the most," and there's evidence to suggest Sakurai isn't a fan of clones himself, and may continue moving away from the idea. So maybe as long as you can reason that Sakurai would back you up, it's perfectly fine to dismiss someone's opinion or ideas. :awesome: This must be hard for fellows like Kuma and Manly, who Sakurai has...

Forsaken.
We're still playing this game? What happened to thinking about what we want for ourselves instead of taking things blindly?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The video further supports the idea that Super Smash Bros. is no different from other fighting games, as mentioned by Harada when he viewed competitive videos of Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But Smash doesn't have those incredibly hard Z motions. Why do an uppercut with that Z motion and a button when I can just do Up and B for the same thing?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We're still playing this game? What happened to thinking about what we want for ourselves instead of taking things blindly?
Not like there's anything wrong with discussing what could be (LIKE ME AND SUKAPON), but when you have certain DESIGN PHILOSOPHIES that are just not in line with the game you're talking about, seems like you're giving yourself a lot of unnecessary heartbreak.

A KICKSTARTER SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST SOLUTION.

D

Deleted member

Thought you guys might want to see this.
I cannot like this video enough. It certainly would have been useful a couple days ago.

The video further supports the idea that Super Smash Bros. is no different from other fighting games, as mentioned by Harada when he viewed competitive videos of Smash.
I would have preferred a comparison to Blazblue to be honest.

If you think about it, Smash has more in common with Blazblue than with Street Fighter.

SF doesn't have teching, BB does.
SF has very limited aerial options, BB gives you a lot more freedom in mid air.
BB gives you more over-all control over your character like in Smash, SF has very limited control.
And Arcsys games are notorious for having hidden mechanics similar to the ones in Melee.

Not like there's anything wrong with discussing what could be (LIKE ME AND SUKAPON), but when you have certain DESIGN PHILOSOPHIES that are just not in line with the game you're talking about, seems like you're giving yourself a lot of unnecessary heartbreak.

A KICKSTARTER SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST SOLUTION.
I kinda accept that Smash 4 will never be the game it could be. But I still like imagining what it could be like. It gives me a lot of inspiration.

As for a Kickstarter. I'm up for working on it if anyone else is. I don't know **** about programming mind you...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would have preferred a comparison to Blazblue to be honest.

If you think about it, Smash has more in common with Blazblue than with Street Fighter.

SF doesn't have teching, BB does.
SF has very limited aerial options, BB gives you a lot more freedom in mid air.
BB gives you more over-all control over your character like in Smash, SF has very limited control.
And Arcsys games are notorious for having hidden mechanics similar to the ones in Melee.
Hell, we can probably toss 3D fighters in there. The big difference is that Smash places emphasis on the Y axis while 3D fighters emphasize the Z axis.

I don't know **** about programming mind you...
Whereas I freak out with 99% of programming.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
i don't really care about what i want and whether i actually get them or not

the game is still going to be fun regardless, i'm content with whatever sakurai gives us

D

Deleted member

i don't really care about what i want and whether i actually get them or not

the game is still going to be fun regardless, i'm content with whatever sakurai gives us
Pretty much this. I'm fine with what we get as long as this game is as fun as the previous games (all of whom I absolutely love).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Having fun is something that would be nice, but having it with better balance and polish would be appreciated. You know, a step forward from Brawl instead of a step back.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oasis: Not so much fun when I lose to my brothers (most of the time) in PM. (and Smash Bros in general)

I dunno but it's almost sucking my enjoyment from SSB nowadays. At the same I feel to gullible though to appreciate my victories because I can't beat my brother as he solos with Mario a lot of the time. (Though Peach still keeps being my strongest candidate. And secondly Diddy. And Pit. But it's just I'm trying to use Marth to beat Mario or his other characters. I've been trying to train up to be a formidable opponent as him but it's not going well.)

Goshers, should I just move on and just try to find some other opponents to try myself on because really, playing against 9 level CPUs (sometimes in Fast Brawl) means almost nothing...

Wait, we were talking about content? My mistake. Had to vent out, though. (-=^=-)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, trying out for new opponents doesn't hurt. Remember that no two people play exactly the same way, even if using the same characters. Even if you are defeated by an superior opponent, you learn something and can use that knowledge to become better. Generally speaking, human players > AI players.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of AI, Brawl's AI was a step forward from Melee's. What additional improvements should be expected?

peeup

Smash Lord
Holy cow, this thread moves at a mile a minute.

Habanero, you saying that you'd rather have a balanced game than a fun game?

Go play rock paper scissors.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Does ArcSys deliberately slip in these mechanics into their games or are they exploits like Melee's wavedashing and DACUS in Brawl?
Oasis: Not so much fun when I lose to my brothers (most of the time) in PM. (and Smash Bros in general)

I dunno but it's almost sucking my enjoyment from SSB nowadays. At the same I feel to gullible though to appreciate my victories because I can't beat my brother as he solos with Mario a lot of the time. (Though Peach still keeps being my strongest candidate. And secondly Diddy. And Pit. But it's just I'm trying to use Marth to beat Mario or his other characters. I've been trying to train up to be a formidable opponent as him but it's not going well.)
You gotta analyze situations man. What do you do when he hits you, what does he do to be vulnerable? How do you usually hit him. Looking at what goes wrong in a match is the best way to get better or to at least learn how to beat someone.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WHAT'S ALL THIS LEARNIN' BUSINESS DOING IN A SMASH GAME. GO PLAY DK JR. MATH IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR BRAIN.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Automatic: I guess. Though he keeps on trying to adapt when I try to make changes and tries to keep being step ahead. Gets boring after a while because the battles become bit too defensive for my liking. (He loves to avoid and hits precisely all the time. I guess I can't keep up.)

peeup

Smash Lord
Well obviously I meant Project: RPS, it's much more like the original version but it has a bigger cast and better graphics.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Bit of break from the current topic, but in all honestly how surprised would you all be if Ridley doesn't make it in as playable this time? (Again)? I really wouldn't be after all this time. I'm still of the opinion he's around a 50% chance or so...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bit of break from the current topic, but in all honestly how surprised would you all be if Ridley doesn't make it in as playable this time? (Again)? I really wouldn't be after all this time. I'm still of the opinion he's around a 50% chance or so...
I'm sure Sakurai knows about fan demand for Ridley to be playable. I'll prefer to play the waiting game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oasis: Had to laugh. Playing Smash doesn't equal doing maths indeed. And I think that's why I should stop treating it like so nowadays... (Well at least just go with my own flow instead of thinking accordingly to the situation in pretty same way and simple.)

PsiGuy: I'd be more disappointed than suprised because so many friends of mine are waiting Ridley and I really think we need more kickass villains and a proper Metroid-rep that doesn't ruin Samus's character completely into being a complete weak woman near Adam and has sex appeal as her main good trait.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am looking forward to...

- watching the first trailer at E3
- playing as the newcomers
- battling on new stages
- using new items
- seeing new Assist Trophies and Pokemon
- viewing the new trophies
- having fun

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Speaking of playing against the others, I really suggest a Brawl between this group before the day E3 would reveal SSB4. Maybe as a lasting stand before we get ready to the change.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If Ridley doesn't make it, it's not exactly going to be a deal breaker. At least, from my end of things. Some people would boycott a game if [insert character] doesn't make it, but I'm not one of those people. There will always be something to talk about regardless of what happens, and for sure me and everyone else will still play the game regardless.

Speaking of playing against the others, I really suggest a Brawl between this group before the day E3 would reveal SSB4. Maybe as a lasting stand before we get ready to the change.
Well if I can get a new Wii by then, possibly. Ether normal Brawl or Project M is fine. Maybe on skype, optionally.

(You can use Project M on wi-fi, fyi)

peeup

Smash Lord
I'd be so down if someone could teach me to hack my Wii into my school's wifi (they don't allow Wiis on the system)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Speaking of AI, Brawl's AI was a step forward from Melee's. What additional improvements should be expected?
Brawl's AI may have been leagues ahead of Melee's (it learned the things you commonly did!) but it didn't have Melee AI's godlike reactions. Melee CPU's power-shielded virtually all projectiles, they grabbed your shield pretty quickly and some characters caught you with their ^B move in the first frames of you jump animation if you were close enough.

I think it would be neat if Lv. 8 was the highest AI setting but Lv. 9 gave the highest AI setting CPU near frame perfect reactions like in Melee.

Automatic: I guess. Though he keeps on trying to adapt when I try to make changes and tries to keep being step ahead. Gets boring after a while because the battles become bit too defensive for my liking. (He loves to avoid and hits precisely all the time. I guess I can't keep up.)
Well, adapting and trying out new things is part of the process on both sides. As you begin noticing patterns or habits and your brother should start seeing you've caught on and changing stuff up and mixing up his options to keep you guessing and try to gain the upper hand once more. Now you have to predict or guess what he'll do while being aware of yourself. You can always begin with something simple like looking out for rolls, bad air dodges fake approaches, laggy moves or whatever stands out.

Btw, I like you avatar. Seliph's Awakening design is one of my favorite redesigns.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Habanero: Aware of that. Dunno which I'd go with tho. Maybe Brawl, the PM.
Well, personally I would go with Project M mainly because the wi-fi for it is surprisingly better and the balance is appreciated. But if having access to it is a problem for some people, then regular Brawl is fine.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am looking forward to...

- watching the first trailer at E3
- playing as the newcomers
- battling on new stages
- using new items
- seeing new Assist Trophies and Pokemon
- viewing the new trophies
- having fun
Add this: :)
- checking if any changes were made to veterans

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is where you start taking advantage of those expectations - the power of mixups and mindgames. He expects you to strike and dodges or blocks in response. Don't attack then. Let the opportunity come to you. In a sense, you have conditioned him to your habits. This is where you go for the unexpected. Of course, once he knows about your counter, he gets antsy as to whether or not he should do options A or option B now that both have their risks to them if done at the wrong time.

Oasis: Had to laugh. Playing Smash doesn't equal doing maths indeed. And I think that's why I should stop treating it like so nowadays... (Well at least just go with my own flow instead of thinking accordingly to the situation in pretty same way and simple.)
Maybe this will help. In life, I don't particular care to do any planning beyond rough outlines so I have a sense of direction. This goes into my playstyle where if such and such occurs, I take defensive action where applicable. Otherwise, I go with what's going on in my head. Sometimes, it's effective, sometimes it isn't for a number of reasons.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, and Mawile need evolutions man. Like so badly. They could all be so cool. Normal/Dragon for Dunsparce, Flying/Fighting for Farfetch'd, Steel/Poison(?) for Mawile.
Farfetch'd was one of the first pokemon I ever had to reach level 100 way back when

It sat in my party and leveled up through EXP ALL until it was a level it was able to fight the elite 4 at

It sat there because it was my cut and fly *****.

Also, looks like it's time for my Dunsparce thread to rise up again

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would be completely blown away. No reason he shouldn't or couldn't be playable. I expect him 100%, definitely.

A bit of an aside, but I'm sure some would say that TO say 100% at all would be a bit foolish, but the way I see is that because there is an absolute answer that we only have to wait a couple years to know, this game we play is not about guessing but interpretation. If all signs point to a particular answer, would seem to me a waste of time to entertain other possibilities.

ALSO WHERE EVER YOU ARE SHORTS. What color Krystal would you play as, assuming it would exist. IthoughtitwouldbecoolifonehadherfurcoloraspinkasareferencetoKATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom