• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosaluma vs. Other characters

andimidna

Smash Master

Guys...
I just realized...
Samus' shot looks about fully charged.
And the Luma barely gets hit back a third of the stage
And she floats way of the ground when running.
Samus is hit back farther than Luma...
Rosalina is going to be really good...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Samus could've had high damage and Luma probably has a damage count like Nana does.

However, that one looks like an awesome approach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Guys...
I just realized...
Samus' shot looks about fully charged.
And the Luma barely gets hit back a third of the stage
And she floats way of the ground when running.
Samus is hit back farther than Luma...
Rosalina is going to be really good...
It's always possible that each Luma color has its own amount of stamina, much like with the Pikmin. Of course, there's also a chance that Samus's Charge Shot wasn't fully charged.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i think the lumas have a base HP like the pikmin. and different colored lumas could have different HP.
we also saw in the trailer that luma got hit by mega mans fully charged f smash and it died, but that was a green one.

perhaps in competative play, rosalina mains might be selective about which colors of lumas they prefere, much like olimar mains aiming for mostly purples. perhaps say, the blue luma has the most HP out of all other lumas. you may want to try cycling though your lumas (after we figure out how to manually get rid of them) untill a blue luma spawns.

then again, maybe a red luma has more base attack power then all the rest,

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I think after seeing how she Down B'd MM's Projectile in Nintendo direct today, that Projectiles aren't a problem for her.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yes, certain spammers like MM, Olimar, Samus, and Pit (No offense to them) won't be able to do much against a Rosalina who pays attention.

We still don't really know about pikmin. It's hard to say that they are the same as most projectiles since they're more like characters than items. Of course, Olimar's got only three now, so he's going to be a lot less of a hard camper.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Fox's Blaster may not be fully contained by Gravitational Pull, however, so the Luma may have to take some shots to keep Rosalina's damage minimal.

As for Greninja, its Water Shuriken may be rendered ineffective by Gravitational Pull. As for Substitute, while using the Luma as bait seems like a good way to avoid a trap, Greninja's counterattack is apparently wide-ranging.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think Greninja, Diddy and Sheik might be Rosalina's biggest problems cause they seem to pressure really hard, and at fast paces.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
As usual, the fast characters will be harder for slow-ish Rosalina to handle. Especially if they can get through that luma.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As usual, the fast characters will be harder for slow-ish Rosalina to handle. Especially if they can get through that luma.
This will, however, come down to how quickly they can attack, and if they can cope with Rosalina's reach. Marth might be able to pull that off, but I can't really say the same for Sonic.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Luma will shut down Sonic's approach. It would be easy to use star bit shot to stop his rolling.

Like you said, Certain characters like Marth have that reach plus the speed. I think some like ZSS or Diddy kong would be on a level similar to Marth.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know about Diddy, since his Banana Peel game may not work at all with Gravitational Pull being involved. His only saving grace could be the added flexibility of his arm attacks.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Of course Diddy won't get huge combos with banana peels, but some well timed ones could still trip her up.
And like Diddy Kong said...
Think Greninja, Diddy and Sheik might be Rosalina's biggest problems cause they seem to pressure really hard, and at fast paces.
Diddy pressures hard, even without the elaborate peel set ups.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know about Diddy, since his Banana Peel game may not work at all with Gravitational Pull being involved. His only saving grace could be the added flexibility of his arm attacks.
Why? He can still approach just fine with a Banana in his hand doing his Side B move. Follow that up with a Banana, then Smash her, proceed to attack her Luma or try to D Air her off-stage? I think I'll like using this strategy against Rosalina.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
How are you going to throw the banana on the ground if the luma takes it instead of rosalina? And if you approach from the air, up tilt will get you. Also, star bit shot might make either approach difficult.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Of course Diddy won't get huge combos with banana peels, but some well timed ones could still trip her up.
Diddy would have to get real close to do that though, and even then, the Luma could end up taking the hit instead. I know that Diddy has had a reputation for offering heavy pressure, but Rosalina may keep the matchup even, simply for the fact that she can potentially give Diddy Kong some pressure herself, and cope with Diddy's pressure options as well.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think her worst matchups will be fast characters like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Greninja as they have the speed to get around Luma. Luma will have to stay very close to Rosalina in these matchups, which limits how Rosalina can approach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've checked, Sheik wasn't all that great in Brawl. Unless she receives any attack power buffs, Sheik's matchup against Rosalina may not entirely work in her favor.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Well seeing as bowser and zelda got buffs, they might be trying to even out some of the lower tiers. So shiek probably got some attack buff. Even so, it doesn't look like it would work against rosalina.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately I've been thinking about how Rosalina can cope with some of Greninja's attack options, and there are a few things that may need to be kept in mind for potential Greninja users.

When Greninja uses Substitute, Rosalina could have the Luma take the bait, while she prepares for Greninja's counterattack. Once Greninja uses its counterattack, Rosalina could block/evade it, and then punish Greninja afterwards.

The stealth tactic that Greninja used against the male Wii Fit Trainer may end up targeting the Luma instead of Rosalina, if the Luma is the one attacking it. In that dilemma, while Greninja may deliver a good blow on the Luma, it'll be left vulnerable for Rosalina to punish herself.

Of course, Greninja's up tilt and up smash may help it deal with Rosalina's long-ranged down aerial, to some extent.

More information will be needed about Greninja though, but if my suspicions are right, using stealth tactics against Rosalina may not be a smart move for Greninja.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
So I saw this in the Lil Mac thread, so I wanted to add it here.
Top Questions:
1. Who do you think will be Rosilina's easiest matchups? And why?
2. Who do you think will be Rosilina's worst matchups? And why?
3. Will the FD stages better or worsen her match ups?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
1. Bowser, Slow and big. easy target for luma.
2. Megaman, Metal Blades break through Luma defence. and I think Leaf Shield does as well.
3. neutral, could improve some of her game while hurt others.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Dear Rosalina mains,
Please try this when the game comes out.
1. Pick Battlefield
2. Position a Luma at the edge
3. Toss your opponent offstage.
4. Stand on top platform or head offstage in order to cover most recovery options, because Rosalina is probably the best edge-guarder designed in a Smash game to date. (Speculation, but a lot of signs point to this.)

Signed,
A Little Mac main who will almost certainly be using Greninja to fight you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I saw this in the Lil Mac thread, so I wanted to add it here.
Top Questions:
1. Who do you think will be Rosilina's easiest matchups? And why?
2. Who do you think will be Rosilina's worst matchups? And why?
3. Will the FD stages better or worsen her match ups?
1) King Dedede, because while the hammer has range and power, it's very easy to read and is just quite slow. Rosalina seems adequately nimble too, so her and the Luma could hop around him all day long. And Rosalina's kicks alone have range AND speed, as well as her Smash attacks, even without Luma involved. She could also use Gravitational Pull to counter Gordos (and again, this attack has a slow wind-up anyway, so she may not even need to resort to that, she could just them).

2) I honestly don't think she will have any particularly difficult match-ups. I think people may be exaggerating certain aspects about her, both in terms of positive and negative match-ups. Dedede is the only character I have a definite opinion on.

3) It would probably make some of them better because it's less ground for her and the Luma to cover.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Ummm rosalinas down b vs diddys down b....rosalinas. How does that work out?
I have issue focusing on what your typing when i see your avatar.
I swear i saw something like that in some type of dirty book. -.-
*edit* i found it and is just a black and white version of your avatar. >.<

Last edited:

_KArMa_

Smash Rookie
*edit* I just like the avi....I for one do not support bro/sister bonding XD

Plus boobs tho...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It's possible that only energy projectiles are deflected and the physical ones hit anyways.
I don't think that physical objects would hit, if you go back and look at the footage from her reveal trailer, Marth throws a green shell at her which she stops with Gravitational Pull and proceeds to throw back at him. Obviously something like Megaman's Crash Bomb is a different story, since it sticks to the target, but I imagine most other physical projectiles will have their momentum stopped, thus not damaging Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, considering how it can avert the FLUDD and the Aura Sphere, I'm pretty sure every projectile can be averted with Gravitational Pull. Especially since different things react differently to it.

D

Deleted member

While I can't think of any one character that would dominate Rosalina right now, I do think that faster characters (Fox, Greninja, Sheik, maybe Little Mac) will have an advantage against her since they will be better able to:
a) get close faster, limiting Rosalina's spacing options with the Luma (before Luma Shot)
b) punish Rosalina for a mistimed Luma Shot, as they will be able to close the distance and rack up damage on Rosalina before she can call the Luma back to her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I simply don't think Rosalina will be a character that could be dominated, and in general, they seem to be handling the balancing pretty well in this game. We won't know for sure until the game comes out, but I feel like everyone is assuming Rosalina herself is going to be weak, when we've got more reason to believe otherwise. Luma is obviously the reason people assume that, but think - which is going to be the STRONGER one - the little star child or the space deity?

Plus, the control over Luma is not direct, and positioning him will take some skill. So Rosalina is going to have some power to make up for that, plus her melee attacks have exceptional range due to the cosmic effects that seem to form the hit boxes of her attacks. I really think the "big, easy target that is very light" is Rosalina's ONLY major draw back, and it's a big enough one to prevent her from being OP, I feel. I don't feel Luma is there to make up for Rosalina lacking attack strength or knock back, he's there to draw attention away from Rosalina and be a nuisance to her opponents, making it harder to get hits in on an otherwise easy target. I think the added combo potential is more of a secondary thing. I think not every Rosalina player will be great at utilising Rosalina and Luma for tag team combos, but those who aren't will probably focus on using Luma as a decoy to let Rosalina approach easier. So essentially, we will probably have offensive Rosalina players and defensive Rosalina players, and both will be equally valid playstyles. I think this is another way in which the dev team is bridging the gap between Brawl and Melee.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Game & Watch, are you ready to kill Rosaloser? Rosaloser loses against all characters. :grrr: She is also the training dummy of choice! :idea: #TrainingDummyHype

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never did get to bring this up yet, so...

Rosalina vs. Ike

Ike is quite powerful with his long-ranged sword. As such, he could use it to contain the Luma, but against a defensive Rosalina, Ike will have to fight with caution. While his sword may be devastating for lightweight fighters, Ike isn't exactly a fast attacker, as he does risk getting punished if Rosalina blocks any of his sword attacks. Similarly, Counter pretty much spells a grab opportunity for Rosalina.

Recovery-wise, Quick Draw does have a flaw in that it can get stopped prematurely if anyone is in Ike's path. Whether or not this will still occur in Smash 4 remains to be seen, but in the worst case scenario, the Luma can just take the attack, and that'll mess up Ike's horizontal recovery. Aether's super armor frames make it almost impossible to counter without grabbing Ike, so Rosalina may need to time her counterattack wisely.

In the end, Ike's powerful sword may help him deal with Rosalina's approaches to some extent, but if Rosalina is playing defensively, Ike's slow and laggy attacks may lead to his undoing.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I never did get to bring this up yet, so...

Rosalina vs. Ike

Ike is quite powerful with his long-ranged sword. As such, he could use it to contain the Luma, but against a defensive Rosalina, Ike will have to fight with caution. While his sword may be devastating for lightweight fighters, Ike isn't exactly a fast attacker, as he does risk getting punished if Rosalina blocks any of his sword attacks. Similarly, Counter pretty much spells a grab opportunity for Rosalina.

Recovery-wise, Quick Draw does have a flaw in that it can get stopped prematurely if anyone is in Ike's path. Whether or not this will still occur in Smash 4 remains to be seen, but in the worst case scenario, the Luma can just take the attack, and that'll mess up Ike's horizontal recovery. Aether's super armor frames make it almost impossible to counter without grabbing Ike, so Rosalina may need to time her counterattack wisely.

In the end, Ike's powerful sword may help him deal with Rosalina's approaches to some extent, but if Rosalina is playing defensively, Ike's slow and laggy attacks may lead to his undoing.
Speaking of a Defensive Rosilina, I think that her goal would be to have luma at the back of Ike, and by doing that, pushing star strikes are him the whole time so it reduced him to an air game. Though considering what you've said, brings me to another point "Rosilina is going to be NASTY at edge guarding since she gets luma back even if he dies."

Also, How do you think Rosalina Vs. Diddy will go?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, How do you think Rosalina Vs. Diddy will go?
I did bring that up a few months back, and it'll probably come down to who can pressure who more. Diddy's banana peels may be rendered ineffective by Gravitational Pull, so he might have to resort to direct combat instead.

Top Bottom