• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosaluma vs. Other characters

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
It may be too early, but who cares?

How do you guys think Rosalina will fare against the other fighters?
I don't mean tier listing, just your opinions on individual match-ups.
image.jpg
Vs. Rosaluma

Marth match-up: Rosalina clearly has an advantage here. Marth, as we all know, is pure melee. Rosalina can keep him away with the star bit shot or any attack with the luma.

Recovery: Rosalina can gimp Marth's average recovery easily. Her dair is pretty quick, and it looks like a spike. Dolphin Slash is quick to come out, but fairly predictable and easy to gimp.

Grabbing: There's nothing on Rosalina's grab and grabbing game yet, but the luma should make it hard for any character to approach.

Seems to me Rosalina has an edge on marth. Tell me what you think of this match up and give some of your own evaluations!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Let's see what I could input for this matter...

Rosalina vs. Mario: While Mario could spam his fireballs against the Lumas, being able to cope with Rosalina's reach might be a problem.

Rosalina vs. Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong's approach options can be hindered by the Luma's presence, especially considering his size and lack of projectiles.

Rosalina vs. Kirby: The outcome would be dependent on if Kirby manages to copy Rosalina's abilities. If Kirby does copy Rosalina, the matchup becomes more evenly matched.

Rosalina vs. Bowser: Being a big target leaves Bowser pretty vulnerable to the Luma's onslaught. Fire Breath could solve Bowser's Luma problem.

Rosalina vs. Sonic: Luring the Luma away from Rosalina is Sonic's biggest priority. The Spring Jump could help him bypass the Luma, but coping with Rosalina's attack range may be another story.

Rosalina vs. Mega Man: While Mega Man can safely handle the Luma from a distance, he might not be able to cope with Rosalina's attack range.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
The luma seems like a strong point to her play style (kinda obvious). whether or not a character can get past it will be a big thing.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Since I don't know too much on how Rosalina fully works, I'll mostly focus on how the opponent can easily fair against her.
Rosalina vs. Fox: We all know Fox, and how he usually is really good even with characters. When against Rosalina & Luma, he is about even, he could easily get close to Rosalina using his side special and dodge/block Luma if needed. The blaster could help rack up damage on both of them leading to a powerful knock out.
Rosalina vs. Toon Link: The links are known for their projectile zoning. Toon Link can use his arsenal of them to keep the Luma away from him, and with Toon Link's high jump height in speed he could easily bypass the Luma to go for Rosalina head on.

I will edit this for more later.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
he could easily get close to Rosalina using his side special and dodge/block Luma if needed. The blaster could help rack up damage on both of them
Fox's up special could also be effective, and his reflector would negate that star bit attack.
Wouldn't the blaster just hit the luma, effectively shielding Rosalina?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Fox's up special could also be effective, and his reflector would negate that star bit attack.
Wouldn't the blaster just hit the luma, effectively shielding Rosalina?

Questionable. It may just fly over the Luma's head, as it is quite short.
What we've seen Luma blocking is Samus' (mostly-fully) charged charge shot and Mega Man's (mostly-fully) charged Mega Buster, both of which are quite large, large enough to be soaked up by Luma. I'd say small projectiles that are higher would completely bypass Luma (unless you can make it jump?).
Samus' Missiles, Megaman, with the absurd amount of projectiles he's got at his disposal, is bound to have something that could be used for that situation. (Even just a lesser charged Mega Blaster.) and stuff like that.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
That's true, but a lot of these energy projectiles will be blockable with the down special. I guess it's important to note that luma isn't a perfect shield and some characters can get past it.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think your Marth prediction is wrong. Marth has a long reach and that tipper, while Luma's moves are very close, he could easily out-space any of his moves bar star-bit spray and get good damage on it, or knock it away (it seems to dissipate when it gets too far away from Rosalina). She does have good attack range herself, but her moves seem reasonably slow, and have lingering hitboxes.. making them Counter bait.

We'll see, but I think Marth will be able to get rid of the Luma more easily than most, neutering most of her abilities.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point. However, I think if the luma can tank enough attacks it should be able to buy Rosalina some time.
I do agree on the counter though, that could prove problematic. Still, Rosalina's aerial game looks pretty safe because of how her aerials have good priority.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
for the megaman vs rosa mu it will be in mega mans favor as his crash bomber could stick to the luma which means the luma can never be near us. we would have to be aggressive and punish any stage control option he throws out.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
for the megaman vs rosa mu it will be in mega mans favor as his crash bomber could stick to the luma which means the luma can never be near us. we would have to be aggressive and punish any stage control option he throws out.
Yes, crash bomber will make us waste time with moving the luma away. Luckily for this match-up, Down special will stop a ton of megaman's attacks

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Yes, crash bomber will make us waste time with moving the luma away. Luckily for this match-up, Down special will stop a ton of megaman's attacks
What if mega man baits our down special? It could be punishable. Then again you could just go by reaction !

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What if Rosalina can hold her Star Barrier, much like with Fox's Reflector? That would probably render most projectile attacks useless.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
It will definitely be a staple move against projectile users/spammers. When to use it will be kinda situational though.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't know how the star shield will work in regards to the Metal Blade and Crash Bomber, as both act as a projectile (which seem to be deflected) and items (which are drawn to her). I think a lot of the match-up will be decided by that.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
It's possible that only energy projectiles are deflected and the physical ones hit anyways.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I wonder if the warp field works on other characters, similar to how marios cape turns people around or how mewtwos confusion flips people.

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
watch her have like, no kill moves except for the dair spike. she's just great on racking up dmg and keep opponents away from her. i feel like that's how they'll probably balance her out.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
her damage racking skills and ranging will make for a great support character in doubles

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
definitely. i can see her being absolutely wonderful in doubles. i just want to see what her nair and bair are for potential kill moves for 1v1s, cause right now, her specials definitely aren't kill moves.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
But we didn't really get any numbers in that video, so some of these moves could be a lot more powerful than we think. Plus, maybe some of the luma's attacks have some strong knock back. It's hard to tell so far which luma moves are which.

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
i do have a feeling her dsmash has a few hits to it with Luma, and is very similar to Zelda's. high horizontal kb.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i also think side b, the one that sends luma ahead might have decent knockback at high percents, probably a quick kill move at the edge of a stage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
watch her have like, no kill moves except for the dair spike. she's just great on racking up dmg and keep opponents away from her. i feel like that's how they'll probably balance her out.
I'm pretty sure that she'll have some pretty powerful attacks in her arsenal. We just don't know how strong, simply because of the lack of visible damage percentages.

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
I'M OK WITH THIS. I'LL JUST MAIN ALL THE AWESOME FEMALES.

and Zelda was my main in PM, so hopefully she's better in this game than in Brawl. but it seems like i'll main Rosalina and Zelda, try out ZSS again if(and when) she's in, and WFT i'm going to give more time than other chars.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina vs. Zelda: The main problem working against Zelda is her lack of effective approach options. Rosalina, on the other hand, has the Luma to help her approach. But with the Phantom being a potential summon for Zelda, that might give the Luma some trouble. On the other hand, the Phantom probably can't be controlled, meaning that avoiding it will probably be easier than it looks.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
However the phantom works, it will be cool to have it fight the luma. Both are summons, both are physical tanks for magical characters. It might be a fun matchup, as long as zelda is better and tougher in this game. But we'll have to get more on zelda first.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
zelda shouldnt be a clone of rosalina, otherwise rosalinas reveal would have been worthless if they were just gonna have zelda do the same thing. this would make rosalina a non unique newcomer.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Rosalina is in danger of being "non-unique". Rosalina has to be the only puppeteer in brawl, and that's pretty far from zelda. Plus, Rose's character is super unique! That makes her cooler than than the others!

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
i truly hope Zelda doesn't have the Phantom, I like transforming between the two characters to screw around with my opponents.

and on-topic, i feel like the Rosalina/Zelda match-up could go either way. Nayru's Love, if it works right in this game, can be used very efficiently against Luma. and Din's Fire or Farore's Wind can obviously be used to bypass Luma if need be. and if her aerial game is great for once, she could destroy Rosalina. but this all depends on what Zelda's game is like now, and how everything works for Rosalina and Luma. but i feel like Luma loses out to Zelda, and it's up to Rosalina to beat her.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I have a feeling that Phantom will be a summon that only appears for a few seconds. Ala Spike using monkeys in PSASBR. (He would summon a Pipo Ape that would attack a character for a few seconds then leave)

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
It may be too early, but who cares?

How do you guys think Rosalina will fare against the other fighters?
I don't mean tier listing, just your opinions on individual match-ups.
View attachment 5304 Vs. Rosaluma

Marth match-up: Rosalina clearly has an advantage here. Marth, as we all know, is pure melee. Rosalina can keep him away with the star bit shot or any attack with the luma.

Recovery: Rosalina can gimp Marth's average recovery easily. Her dair is pretty quick, and it looks like a spike. Dolphin Slash is quick to come out, but fairly predictable and easy to gimp.

Grabbing: There's nothing on Rosalina's grab and grabbing game yet, but the luma should make it hard for any character to approach.

Seems to me Rosalina has an edge on marth. Tell me what you think of this match up and give some of your own evaluations!
I think she will dominate all high wight chars like bowser,donkey kong cuz her forward throw looks like it dose light knock back or throw range and that can be a low percent combo and luma can end it :) am I right? O.o seriously i don't know I'm guessing

Last edited:
Top Bottom