• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocket Slime for Brawl. Accept no substitutes.

1. Does it matter? Chocobo isn't the face of FF. Slime is. You have to play FF to know Chocobo - not so with DQ and Slime.

2. Hmm... notice a whopping lack of appearances on a Nintendo system for any of those games?

3. Yeah, 1.3 million people really hated DQVIII. DQVIII's sold 5.2 million worldwide. And maybe Sakurai would look at Cloud's roles - only one, a minor role, being on a Nintendo system - and decide that he's not the best choice?

4. IT DOESN'T MATTER! Goombas never have, are not, and never will be the mascot of Mario. Are they the most recognizable figure in Mario? No. So you can understand why people argue that two incomparable creatures are compared?

Slime:

Appears in every DQ game ever made, from the start.
Mascot of the entire series.
Has tons of promotional material, including toys, plushes, keychains, clothing, and even a controller.
Has had starring roles.
Is recognizable worldwide (DQ doesn't have to be popular to have a very identifiable figure).

Goomba:

Does not appear in all Mario games, and didn't appear from the start.
Could never be said as being the mascot of Mario.
Does not have very much promotional material.
Has never had a starring role.
Is recognizable worldwide.

So Slime - 5/5. Goomba - 1/5.

Very similar.

Slimes got games about them, where you play as a Slime and only as a Slime. The good guys are Slimes. The whole premise is based around Slimes. Playing a DQ and encountering a Slime go hand-in-hand. You must have seen a Slime to have played DQ, although you do not have to have played DQ to have seen a Slime.

The fact of the matter is that I can tell you one good reason why you could never be considered objective by any standards "you don't hate Slime". The problem is that Slime fails anything Sakurai set-up, it's that he fails your personal standards.

1. Does it matter? Chocobo isn't the face of FF. Slime is. You have to play FF to know Chocobo - not so with DQ and Slime.

2. Hmm... notice a whopping lack of appearances on a Nintendo system for any of those games?

3. Yeah, 1.3 million people really hated DQVIII. DQVIII's sold 5.2 million worldwide. And maybe Sakurai would look at Cloud's roles - only one, a minor role, being on a Nintendo system - and decide that he's not the best choice?

4. IT DOESN'T MATTER! Goombas never have, are not, and never will be the mascot of Mario. Are they the most recognizable figure in Mario? No. So you can understand why people argue that two incomparable creatures are compared?

Slime:

Appears in every DQ game ever made, from the start.
Mascot of the entire series.
Has tons of promotional material, including toys, plushes, keychains, clothing, and even a controller.
Has had starring roles.
Is recognizable worldwide (DQ doesn't have to be popular to have a very identifiable figure).

Goomba:

Does not appear in all Mario games, and didn't appear from the start.
Could never be said as being the mascot of Mario.
Does not have very much promotional material.
Has never had a starring role.
Is recognizable worldwide.

So Slime - 5/5. Goomba - 1/5.

Very similar.

Slimes got games about them, where you play as a Slime and only as a Slime. The good guys are Slimes. The whole premise is based around Slimes. Playing a DQ and encountering a Slime go hand-in-hand. You must have seen a Slime to have played DQ, although you do not have to have played DQ to have seen a Slime.

The fact of the matter is that I can tell you one good reason why you could never be considered objective by any standards "you don't hate Slime". The problem is that Slime fails anything Sakurai set-up, it's that he fails your personal standards. Chocobo does NOT beat Slime in importance, not in a million years. Slime predates Chocobo, and not only is DQ more popular than FF in Japan, Slime is more popular than Chocobo. If you were to ask the population of Japan to identify the two characters without looking them up, I guaratnee you that Slime would win by a landslide.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Considering Square Enix and Nintendo are on bad terms, we'll even be very lucky to even have Geno as a character. I doubt slimes will come in.

Not really.

Although, I suppose this thread is also composed of opposition.

So, I'll give you that part of it, the irrational opposition, is a pretty significant failure.

Now, shoo. Go make a blanket fort or something.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The point IS that DRAGON QUEST does NOT sell well outside Japan. So busynesswise it'd be a TERRIBLE move to introduce a chararacter (from one of the most arrogant and complicated companies around) that the rest of the world dislikes. How does that help sales?

People outside Japan are not very keen on having a smiling blob as a smasher. Ask anyone you know about a Square-Enix rep, and guess what they'll answer.

Final Fantasy characters, Kingdom Hearts characters, or Chrono Trigger characters at most.

Nobody outside Japan gives a **** about Dragon Quest. Or at least not enough to make a difference. Sorry, I was with you at the beginning, but this argument is fairly dumb. Sakurai clearly stated that he wanted a character made famous outside Japan too. And Slime is not exactly that character. Did Slime even get EVEN a single vote on the poll? Clearly not many people out there think as you do... And the poll was Japanese.

1. My point is that based on the fact that it sold enough to warrant them to continue releasing games in high quantity in America and Europe, with heavy advertising for them all, they did succeed. Oh, and the fact that they sold well period.

2. Yeah, good idea - a primarily Sony franchise getting a rep in Brawl. Makes perfect sense.

3. Yeah, Sonic isn't quite big enough. He's huge in America, he's huge in Europe. But huge isn't quite huge enough, right? Having a character that's extremely - like, extremely extremely popular in Japan primarily isn't going to hurt anyone. Especially when Sakurai, in that same statement, changed his mind, since including JP-only characters like Marth and Roy helped them become popular outside of Japan.

4. Fun fact: Guess who it was aimed at!

DQ fans?

Nope.

NINTENDO FANS. They picked Geno because they like Mario and Geno is Mario.

No duh they didn't pick a character from a franchise from a different developer.

AkA`Mr.Wigz

Smash Apprentice
Im just messing with you man...

I want slime in brawl too...he would be a who the f*** character like Marth/Roy was in Melee

syke!!!! Slime is just a drop of water dude...

Mario's a fat minimum wage plumber, Link's a tight-wearing fruit, Samus is a generic space marine, Kirby's a rubber ball, Pikachu's a rat, etc.

If your best argument is trying to degrade one of Japan's biggest video game icons as a "drop of water", then please destroy your keyboard, monitor, computer, house, and sew your hands to your feet.

It'd be a much, much happier world.

AkA`Mr.Wigz

Smash Apprentice
whats your argument? that a drop of water should be a playable character...

all the characters you mentioned are gaming icons everyone knows who they are...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
whats your argument? that a drop of water should be a playable character...

all the characters you mentioned are gaming icons everyone knows who they are...
And slime isn't an extremely recognizable character?

While Sakurai is TRYING to include more that is loved by the worldwide crowd, that does not mean that the game will not be japan-centric, it's just going to be slightly less so.

And it's not like Dragon Quest isn't a reasonably well-liked series here, it's just not final fantasy status.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
Please keep this **** on NeoGAF.

Slime is honestly the worst idea ever.

I'm not going to argue with you about it. I don't care about your sales, or your numbers, or your fanboyism.

Just no.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The point IS that DRAGON QUEST does NOT sell well outside Japan. So busynesswise it'd be a TERRIBLE move to introduce a chararacter (from one of the most arrogant and complicated companies around) that the rest of the world dislikes. How does that help sales?

People outside Japan are not very keen on having a smiling blob as a smasher. Ask anyone you know about a Square-Enix rep, and guess what they'll answer.

Final Fantasy characters, Kingdom Hearts characters, or Chrono Trigger characters at most.

Nobody outside Japan gives a **** about Dragon Quest. Or at least not enough to make a difference. Sorry, I was with you at the beginning, but this argument is fairly dumb. Sakurai clearly stated that he wanted a character made famous outside Japan too. And Slime is not exactly that character. Did Slime even get EVEN a single vote on the poll? Clearly not many people out there think as you do... And the poll was Japanese.
Sakurai is Japanese.

1. Oh, get over yourself. You also don't care that Slime does not fail any criteria imposed by Sakurai or, Hell, people on this forum beyond reason (ie, I'm not going to accept a condition that a character must have arms and legs).

2. It doesn't matter which Slime is used.

Exactly - no argument there.

See, an argument has to be based on reality, not the little corner in a user's imagination where they think that they make sense.

AkA`Mr.Wigz

Smash Apprentice
I'll respond with your own argument:

Slime is a gaming icon, everyone (as you used it) know who he is.
I have been defeated (and will not return to this thread)

who knew i was my own weakness...

BTW: I don't think Slime's as big of an icon as Mario, Sonic, Link

Sonic is definitely not an icon in Japan. An icon of Sega maybe, but not gaming.

Slime, Mario, Link are video game icons in Japan, Sonic is not.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
BTW: I don't think Slime's as big of an icon as Mario, Sonic, Link
That's because his primary fanbase is in Japan, but he's still about as recognizable on average worldwide as Samus, Link, and Kirby.

The games sell reasonably well around the world, definitely enough to be recognizable everywhere, but the CRAZY fanbase in Japan bumps his popularity up enough to be as recognizable on average as the 3 mentioned characters.

Which just goes to show you, never judge this sort of thing based on your personal feelings for a character, because a lot of that is based on narrow-minded cultural assumption and if you lived in say, France, you'd feel very differently about this.

Especially if you lived in Japan, I'd venture to guess he's the most requested 3rd party character in Japan.

Keep in mind those same narrow-minded cultural assumptions are the strongest argument for Slime since his primary fanbase is in Japan, and Sakurai is Japanese.

AkA`Mr.Wigz

Smash Apprentice
I guess you all are right...I got biased opinions involved...

There have been characters from japan-only games to be featured in Brawl...but as a 3rd party (assuming he is) I would rather have Mega man.

BTW out of curiosity what is Mega man's popularity in Japan?

Cless

Smash Champion
I guess you all are right...I got biased opinions involved...

There have been characters from japan-only games to be featured in Brawl...but as a 3rd party (assuming he is) I would rather have Mega man.

BTW out of curiosity what is Mega man's popularity in Japan?
Mega Man is like Sonic is to us in Japan. He's the most requested characters outside of Sonic.

You know that your argument sucks when you have to rely on grade school kids to pick up the pieces of your horrible, incompetent argument.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Well, my only question is: If slime is so popular in japan, why wasn't he on Sakuri's poll (which was japan-only). I mean, if he was, slime might have more of a chance, but other than that I don't see it happening.

BECAUSE IT WAS TO NINTENDO FANS WHO ARE NOT NECESSARILY DQ GAMERS.

We don't even know if Slime got any votes or not, Sakurai simply mayn't have mentioned him.

And to Smash Child, you just butchered a humorous Futurama joke. And support Gallade. My God, man.

Top Bottom