• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocket Slime for Brawl. Accept no substitutes.

D

Deleted member

How the heck do you honestly believe that Slime has a better chance than Geno?!

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
Meh, honestly if Bomberman doesn't make the cut I could care less what other third parties make it in. Bomberman is the only third party I want.

Ironically, I'm sure most of these people who don't support this guy are they ones who supported Sukapon or Stafy, yet I agree with them.

However, if it came to be this guy as the third third party slot, I honestly wouldn't mind at all... Never liked the slimes much in DQ though.

DarkDeoxys26

Smash Apprentice
How the heck do you honestly believe that Slime has a better chance than Geno?!
Uh.. I don't. Besides, just because you like Geno more, it doesn't mean he'll have a greater chance of being in. Just like Rocket, he has only been in one game, ages ago. Yes, Geno's popular, but so is Rocket the Slime.

But he stretches to charge his roll. He doesn't have shapeshifting abilities. He uses his whole body for the Elasto Blast.
So you're telling me he can stretch all the way out to roll but can't stretch an inch out to whack someone?

Cless

Smash Champion
Firstly, they wouldn't use Trun... err Angelo. They'd use Goh... err the hero. Secondly, they weren't on a Nintendo console, and they'd probably use a character from the most popular DQ, which I'm pretty sure 8 isn't.

DQIX?

That's not even coming out until late 2008.

Also, here's a fun idea - show me where arms and legs are required.

The lack of arms and legs =/= the lack of grabbing and moving.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Rocket Slime is just an generic enemy. You slay hundreds of them in the games. He has no story, no background, no character. He's just a monster.

Do you find anything like that in the Smash series? A koopa troopa? A goomba? A metroid? No? Well there you go.

He may be iconic, but that doesn't mean anything if he has no actual character. Think of SSE, where every character has his plotline. What would Rocket Slime do?

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
DQIX?

That's not even coming out until late 2008.

Also, here's a fun idea - show me where arms and legs are required.

The lack of arms and legs =/= the lack of grabbing and moving.
Mr. Saturns was going to be playable in melee but they could not make a good moveset for him because he has no arm and he could not grab things, so they did not make him playable but as an item because of that.

Also it would be good advertising to have Hero in brawl.

It's "just" a generic enemy if you ignore the fact that it's the mascot of the entire series, and has its own spin-off franchise where you play as a unique slime.

Explain to me how Koopa Troopa, Goomba, and Metroid are the mascots of their franchises and/or have their own franchise.

And explain how Pikachu is different. In the games, Pikachu is a generic creature. Very, very few games put him in the role of a unique character. How will he work in the SSE?

Mr. Saturns was going to be playable in melee but they could not make a good moveset for him because he has no arm and he could not grab things, so they did not make him playable but as an item because of that.

Also it would be good advertising to have Hero in brawl.
Yeah, that was kind of a lie. Mr. Saturn was not going to be playable.

And the fact that Mr. Saturn lacks grabbing ability is pretty irrelevant. Slime can do literally anything any character in any Smash Bros. can do, which includes grabbing, using items, and throwing.

Oh, and by the way, how does Hero advertise DQIV, DQV, DQVI, or any of the many other DQ games on the DS and Wii?

Slime is the only connecting force, and if you ever argue generic characters, Hero is a generic character because of the ability to modify his appearance, and the standard Hero appearance being the default.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
It's "just" a generic enemy if you ignore the fact that it's the mascot of the entire series, and has its own spin-off franchise where you play as a unique slime.

Explain to me how Koopa Troopa, Goomba, and Metroid are the mascots of their franchises and/or have their own franchise.

And explain how Pikachu is different. In the games, Pikachu is a generic creature. Very, very few games put him in the role of a unique character. How will he work in the SSE?

Yeah, that was kind of a lie. Mr. Saturn was not going to be playable.

And the fact that Mr. Saturn lacks grabbing ability is pretty irrelevant. Slime can do literally anything any character in any Smash Bros. can do, which includes grabbing, using items, and throwing.

Can you show me was that was said to be a lie?

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
That Mr. Saturn was going to be playable.

I have never once heard that.

Mind responding to my other comments?
In was the feed back Sakurai from melee were he just talked about it and what was going to be melee and the first SSB games but was not I will try to find a link it is some where on these forums.

Edit: Because he is the main protagonist of the game and he is all ways called Hero.

In was the feed back Sakurai from melee were he just talked about it and what was going to be melee and the first SSB games but was not I will try to find a link it is some where on these forums.
Mind responding to my post instead of focusing on this irrelevance?

Do you understand that lack of arms =/= lack of grabbing ability?

Do you debate that Slime's ability to grab, shown in many, many games, doesn't matter, because Sakurai couldn't put Mr. Saturn in because of HIS lack of arms?

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
Mind responding to my post instead of focusing on this irrelevance?

Do you understand that lack of arms =/= lack of grabbing ability?

Do you debate that Slime's ability to grab, shown in many, many games, doesn't matter, because Sakurai couldn't put Mr. Saturn in because of HIS lack of arms?
I have played some of Slime games but not one time have I seen him grab something and also Mr. Saturn was had to make a moveset for because he has no arms.

I have played some of Slime games but not one time have I seen him grab something and also Mr. Saturn was had to make a moveset for because he has no arms.
...Did you bother to play either of the games he starred in, in which he picks up and throws enemy and items?

And what does Slival do?

He approaches an item, and picks it up with his head.

Slimes can pick up items. You've been losing this debate the very instant you thought to participate in it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wow, I never could've given a moveset to Slime!

You're good.

I agree that either he or Chocobo are the most likely Squeenix reps. Or maybe a combination of both..

Don't forget METAL Slime as an alt color. :p

It was to expect that people would flame you so don't worry. These people only care for badass dark-evil-gorey characters that turn super saiyan and can wreck the world in under a second.

Japan sides with the weaker-humbler characters like Slime.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman

Only because he is a mascot doesn't mean he would be suitable for Brawl.

Pikachu was a main character in the anime, is the most popular pokemon, has NUMEROUS games dedicated to him AND he has character.

Slime has no character. He has no emotions, can't communicate (yes, Pokemon can communicate. They can express emotions with their body, their hands, their voice; Slime can make a :) and a :( face)

PLUS there are other Squeenix characters that would get in instead of him including Final Fantasy with a ton of characters, Geno who's very likely, Crono Trigger...

Only because he is a mascot doesn't mean he would be suitable for Brawl.

Pikachu was a main character in the anime, is the most popular pokemon, has NUMEROUS games dedicated to him AND he has character.

Slime has no character. He has no emotions, can't communicate (yes, Pokemon can communicate. They can express emotions with their body, their hands, their voice; Slime can make a :) and a :( face)

PLUS there are other Squeenix characters that would get in instead of him including Final Fantasy with a ton of characters, Geno who's very likely, Crono Trigger...
Please, if you're going to talk, shut your mouth.

Slime is the mascot of the entire franchise. Common enemy in all games, unlike Pikachu. He's the most well-known enemy in the series. He has two games dedicated to him (Pikachu has only two as well).

Slime has no character [if you ignore the two starring roles he has]. Pikachu has no character in any games as well, if I ignore the two starring roles he has. Crono hasn't been relevant for years. Geno has only his Mario role going for him - like I've said so many times, Square Enix's not gonna say "let's ignore one of our biggest faces we've ever made so we can throw in a character that appeals to Mario fans!". All of the Slimes in DQ Heroes have their own unique personality.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
It's not what Squeenix wants, it's what Nintendo wants.

If Nintendo wants Geno, they will get him. Squeenix is in no position to say "nah, do not want, take Slime instead"

And Nintendo will pick Geno (who stared in a popular Mario game) ANYDAY over a dumb monster.

So Sakurai would forgo the idea of getting third party characters that actually represent the third parties in any way.

Apparently, you seem to think that Geno is as notable as Snake's mullet.

And you seem to think that Sakurai is a dribbling idiot who would not pick Slime as a PC because he's a "dumb monster". He would look at his significance, and realize that so many people know who Slime is.

What purpose would Geno serve? He certainly wouldn't bring in any new gamers, since the gamers that could be brought in are Mario players. Just because people play DQ games doesn't mean they know Geno. Give me one good reason why Sakurai would want to give something that appeals to an already satisfied audience instead of an audience without any reason to buy SSBB.

DQ is a monster in Japan, both figuratively and literally.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Sakurai would forget that idea. He doesn't want to *represent* the third parties with their mascots. The Smash series represents NINTENDO'S history, their most popular franchises and characters. Snake was only included because Sakurai was begged to do it and that guy was some close friend of Sakurai or something like that. And Sonic was included because he has a close bond with Nintendo's popular characters (brandnew example: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics). He was not included to represent Sega in any way.

Dragon Quest is a third party game, so why would they want to represent it in any way?

As said above, they want to represent Nintendo's history, that includes Geno. I know that there won't be many new gamers that get interested in Brawl because of him, but that's not the point of putting characters in. Geno was a major character in a very popular Nintendo game, that's why he will get in.

And besides: do you think they get any new gamers because they include the Ice Climbers or Game & Watch? :laugh:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ah there's a strong point.

Sakurai gets whoever HE wants. It's HIS game and he knows what benefits him and his company.

Even if it doesn't benefit him and co. Sakurai gets the last word. Squeenix most likely would say

"We prefer that you put Cloud or Sora in, or else you can forget about it."

Sakurai: "Alright. Let's forget about it. :) *Calls secretary* "You may allow the Namco representative in now."

1. What does he represent with Snake or Sonic? Yeah, Nintendo fans certainly go ga-ga over that huh?

2. Oh? Did Sakurai tell you why he put in those two characters? Did he say that he put them in for the sake of Nintendo fans and Kojima? The fact that you actually spoke for why Sakurai included Snake and Sonic proves that you have no place in existing on this forum.

3. And forgo does not mean forget. Don't pretend to comprehend the English language.

4. Slime is the mascot of a Nintendocentric video game series, a series dating back to the NES. He's very important to Nintendo and many people know him. And they'd want to represent DQ for the same reason they want to represent Sonic or Metal Gear.

5. Again, you are telling me what Sakurai thinks - not based on what he actually DOES think, but rather, what you want him to think. Slime is an icon in Japan.

6. What? So why even include characters from franchises outside of Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, EarthBound, and Star Fox? Under your logic, SSB is not about attracting new people, even though it is exactly that. He didn't put in Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, Solid Snake, Sonic, or Olimar to make the already-happy fans happier, he put them in so that the unhappy fans whose favies which lacked representation would become happy.

7. Amazing argument. So, logically, popularity has nothing to do with why a character gets picked unless every single character in the game is in because of their popularity. I forgot, life is black and white, popularity has to be the reason for inclusion for 100% of the characters or 0% of the characters. Thank you for enlightening me that life is based on one dimensional logic.

8. Why in the world would they demand those characters knowing the limits Sakurai implemented? Sakurai doesn't get whatever he wants, and he's not some big cheese business exec who'd brush anyone off if they didn't give him what he wants. Putting in Slime would be more logical, more relevant, and more intelligent. Cloud isn't as big as Slime in Japan. Sora isn't as big as Slime in Japan. There are five games coming out in the next year, man. The fanbase for DQ games in Japan on the DS is huge. DQM Joker sold more than 1.4 million, making it the best selling DQ Monsters game since the original. DQIV has sold 1.2 million copies so far and it's still selling like hotcakes, it'll probably surpass the original NES game at this rate! DQVI is coming out this year, and DQVI hasn't been on anything since the Super Famicom, and DQIX is coming out at the end of the year - the first main DQ game to start out on a Nintendo system since DQVI. There is more than enough reason for Sakurai to say that Slime would be a better choice, and on top of that, so would SE. The fanbase exists on Nintendo systems. The fanbase for DQ makes the fanbase for Mario RPG look absolutely minuscule in comparison. Hell, even in America and Europe DQ is popular - DQVIII sold more than 1.3 million outside of Japan. Honestly, you're coming up with the absolutely most pitiful reasons to say that Sakurai would not go for Slime. 100% of them have been untrue, and pretty much 100% idiotic as well.

D

Deleted member

What purpose would Geno serve?

Mario RPG
The release of Mario RPG for the VC
and (if it is true) the upcoming Mario RPG sequel.

He certainly wouldn't bring in any new gamers, since the gamers that could be brought in are Mario players.

And, you know that as a fact? Since when have the Ice Climbers brought any gamers that aren't "Ice Cimber gamers"?

Just because people play DQ games doesn't mean they know Geno.

And vice versa.

Give me one good reason why Sakurai would want to give something that appeals to an already satisfied audience instead of an audience without any reason to buy SSBB.
Geno would make the Brawl audience more satisfied because more than 3 quarters of the Brawl population actually want Geno.

D

Deleted member

Mario RPG

He certainly wouldn't bring in any new gamers, since the gamers that could be brought in are Mario players.

And, you know that as a fact? Since when have the Ice Climbers brought any gamers that aren't "Ice Cimber gamers"?

And vice versa.

Give me one good reason why Sakurai would want to give something that appeals to an already satisfied audience instead of an audience without any reason to buy SSBB.
Geno would make the Brawl audience more satisfied because more than 3 quarters of the Brawl population actually want Geno.

1. Yeah, that's significant - five upcoming DS/Wii games, a legacy of dozens of games is much less than a game, a re-release of said game, and a rumored sequel.

2. The Ice Climbers were put in as retro stars. Square Enix wouldn't say "let's put in this one-shot character as OUR representative! Why bother offering up a character that people don't even have to play DQ to know?"

3. What does that even mean? You don't have to have played DQ to know who Slime is, but you do have to have played SMRPG to know who Geno is. You may see him, you may hear about him, but you can't know him unless you play the game or research him. Slime, however, is everywhere, in game and out of them.

4. Three quarters? What does that even mean? Slime doesn't get any "love" because the polls don't attract the gamer that would request him. Geno was only requested for being in Mario, not for being made by Square.

D

Deleted member

Mario RPG

And vice versa.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I just joined up to give my two cents on the matter of the Slime showing up in Brawl.

I’m a Japanese teenager, but after spending a lot of time in the US, I know that Japanese people and Americans (and I suppose Europeans) have very different perceptions on the matter of video games. For example, Halo and Grand Theft Auto are massive franchises in the US, but I doubt anyone but the most hardcore gamers know of them in Japan. I’ve seen quite a few people bemoaning how Metroid is virtually unknown over here as well. I was just recommending the Prime series to my friend a few days ago, and he didn’t recognize the brand until I told him that it’s the games which stars Samus from Smash Brothers.

I suppose that the reverse is the case when talking about Slime. While you guys might mock the Slime as a blob (admittedly, this is rather fitting, especially when you consider that the Slime is the weakest monster in the Dragon Quest series), in Japan, he’s a gaming icon that’s only matched by the likes of Mario and Pikachu (and possibly Sonic) being a mascot of the most popular RPG here. I haven’t played any of the Dragon Quest games (though I might get one when the DS game comes out), but even I know of the Slime.

As much as I don’t want to admit it, the Slime is more firmly ingrained in the psyche of the average Japanese person than any of the other characters in Smash Brothers (excepting the ones I’ve noted above). The vast majority of people on the street wouldn’t know who Link is if I show them a picture of him (even some of the people who have seen him would probably answer “Zelda”), but I’d say off the bat that at least 25% (maybe over a majority) of people would recognize the Slime.

Just check out this wikipedia entry about him

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スライム_(ドラゴンクエスト)

its looks to be almost as long as Mario’s entry at first glance

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マリオ_(ゲームキャラクター)

Sakurai might try to get more international characters in the game (as the majority of sales would be made overseas anyways), but as a Japanese person himself, I doubt that he could deny the idea of squeezing Slime into Brawl being extraordinarily tempting. After all, he already got two massively popular gaming icons from third parties.

Now, of course, I seriously doubt that the Slime would be a viable option for a playable character. After all, he’s a blob. However, if Nintendo is negotiating with SquareEnix, there is likely to be a huge possibility of the Slime showing up as an AT like Gray Fox (and possibly Knuckles and Tails). Now I don’t know how difficult it would be for Nintendo to get the rights for the Slime if they are negotiating to get Sora or Geno (DragonQuest being a different franchise from the aforementioned two significantly), but I can’t imagine it being so much of a hassle that Nintendo decides not to.

1. GTA is actually fairly popular in Japan.

2. Slime, like I've shown, is only slightly difficult to make a moveset for, and only with A moves. I'd hope Sakurai could outperform me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still think Chocobo beats Slime in popularity and importance.

I mean how many games does Slime have? (Not counting Dragon Quest)

And how many games does Chocobo have? (Not counting Final Fantasy)

And the remark about comparing Cloud and Slime was pretty stupid... While Chocobo is the icon of FF in Japan.. Cloud is the face of FF wordlwide. FFVII alone has had more games than Slime's ever cast in.
(FFVII, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, and yeah, let's also count Advent Children).

Wada, Square-Enix's president is VERY aware of how succesful FFVII is. And trust me, they'd rather have a guy that promotes his games internationally, than a slime who's only loved in Japan.

That's just my view on the matter.. I don't like Cloud, but I don't hate Slime either. I understand when people compare them to Goombas, and they have the right to do so. They ARE the weakest enemies after all..

I would go with Crono as the perfect Squeenix rep. Because Crono was born because of a combination of staff from both parties. But naturally, that won't ever happen...

Top Bottom