• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
Well, I can't say I missed Japes, but I really like the stagelist anyway. ^.^

Anyway, since Asian Mike isn't going to be at this, I'm willing to help out with running everything if White Mike wants it. I'm pretty comfortable with seeding and things, I have run a tournament before, and we could use my laptop. =P

:005:
thanks alot Jake, I do understand the bracket system somewhat but help is always welcome and I'm sure you understand it more than I do.

I would prefer to use my laptop just cuz we've been using it for every tournament so far and storing all the results for everything on there so it's all in one place.

Edit: glad your bringing a setup Mark, more TV's and Wii's!!!!!

JAPAN FOX

Smash Cadet
Good thing everyone just ignore jamie's posts on my account :p I see many punches to his spine in future.
And I couldn't play fox for crap last night XD

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Ill bring my Wii and my old TV (not the giant one sadly....well, maybe) Also may be bringing a scrubby friend...he sort of keeps changing his mind on going or not

brningpyre

Smash Lord
I'm trying to get some of my scrubby friends to come, too.

Oh hey, Maiko. How about you send me the seeding algorithm (lol) that you use, and then White-Mike sets up the pools, and I use it to determine the brackets?
(which will inevitably be changed, lol)

T-block

B2B TST
eh it's pretty simple

four pools
divide the bracket into four regions
seed the top 16 into those four regions, making sure each region has one player from each pool, and using 1-4, 2-3
anyone leftover fights 4th places, determined randomly
anyone still leftover fights 3rd places, determined randomly and so on
everyone else gets byes

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That's your "algorithm"? If a TO doesn't follow those steps, they're definitely doing it wrong. =P There are other little things that should be paid attention to as well IMO, such as putting 1/2 from the same pool on opposite halves of the bracket and placing the best players outside top 16 (i.e. 5th seed) against 4th seeds, the next best against 3rd seed, etc.

@ White Mike's earlier post: Sounds good. As long as you have TiO, it'll work fine for mine. ^.^

T-block

B2B TST
"algorithm" was a joke. yeah it's really simple, and i have no idea why tio consistently messes it up.

i didn't get into specifics... keith should be able to figure it out (i did mention players after the top 16 though ._.). 1423 is the magic sequence...it shows up everywhere.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
and i have no idea why tio consistently messes it up.
???

Just do it manually. =S Don't let the program prevent you from doing it properly.

(i did mention players after the top 16 though ._.).
You said it's random after top 16, and I specified the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 pattern. I'm just nitpicking. =3

keith should be able to figure it out
I already know it like the back of my hand though. =S

T-block

B2B TST
tio messing it up is the reason why i do it manually now... you were around back when we decided to stop following tio's brackets...

no, i meant to follow the pattern you're describing. random as in which 5th place fights which 4th place, which 6th place fights which 3rd place etc. ideally it wouldn't be random, but we haven't had more than like...18 people? recently, so i didn't put in much effort past the top 16

yes jake, i'm counting on you to help out too ._.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That's good. I did notice some places where players from the same pool weren't really seperated in the previous monthly's bracket, so I was a little concerned. :x I thought TiO might've been the culprit.

The way you phrased it made it seem like you were doing it randomly. I should've known better though. >.<

Yay. ^.^

T-block

B2B TST
That was due to Dan, Luke and Jack all being on the same side of the bracket. Luke brought that to my attention, and I thought it was a valid concern, so I did some swapping.

BUT, there's a case for those three not even being the clear top three anymore, so if it happens again I say just let it be xP

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
ooooooo wario is pretty sexy, and you do have a thing for using characters that like NOBODY on our scene plays regularly haha, like nobody around here plays olimar and our only regular wario is keith (unfortunately mike's little brother can't come)

Just wondering who would be interested in carpooling to MLG Raleigh, NC Aug 27-29? I'm thinking about going but I don't know for sure yet, I just wanna see who would be interested in this before I plan anything out for sure. I looked up flight info and a round trip would be about $600, i'm definately not paying that much haha.

Edit: Speaking of your little brother mike, do you think he might be able to come once school is done for the summer? aka july and august

Frio

Smash Champion
Yeah, I like using rare characters cause people don't know wtf to do. And Mike, do I smell a car pool for MLG 0-o

Frio

Smash Champion
Well I just call dibs in being the car pool >_> Tournies twice a month would be suicidal to this community imo

T-block

B2B TST
anyone seriously suggesting twice a month obviously does not understand our community dynamic

i might not be back in time for raleigh =( dallas is out of the question i guess? it's just a weekend...who cares about midterms anyways.

HEY TOKAIO RESPOND TO MIKE'S QUESTION

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Speaking of your little brother mike, do you think he might be able to come once school is done for the summer? aka july and august
I doubt it. My parents really don't like me going to tournaments. I'll try my best, but I don't think they'll let me. =/

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
the thing about dallas is not cuz of midterms for me but the fact that im doing my student teaching then, so raleigh is really my only option for MLG, plus it's right at the end of summer before school so im trying to convince ppl to go to that one the most if any

and ye monthlies twice a month is ridiculous

Edit: Dag jason that blows

Frio

Smash Champion
I doubt it. My parents really don't like me going to tournaments. I'll try my best, but I don't think they'll let me. =/
Hurry up and turn 18 already

And when do UoA classes start anyways. I rather not miss my first few days of uni >_>

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
not until september 8th this year so it's actually pretty late starting, usually it's the first few days of september. So if university ppl came to MLG Raleigh they'd have over a week back before classes would start

Also we have 4 setups now: Super Hensel Bros., Mark, Adam, Stephen
If anyone else can bring some that would help speed things up alot!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That was due to Dan, Luke and Jack all being on the same side of the bracket. Luke brought that to my attention, and I thought it was a valid concern, so I did some swapping.
Entirely avoidable without making people from the same pool play early on...

I'ma use sexy wario to change things up
-1 tourney threat

I eat Warios for breakfast. om nom nom

Just wondering who would be interested in carpooling to MLG Raleigh, NC Aug 27-29? I'm thinking about going but I don't know for sure yet, I just wanna see who would be interested in this before I plan anything out for sure. I looked up flight info and a round trip would be about $600, i'm definately not paying that much haha.
I'd be all over this if I wouldn't be gone by then. >.>

Edit: I'll probably bring my TV again.

TheCresent

Smash Apprentice
ooooooo wario is pretty sexy, and you do have a thing for using characters that like NOBODY on our scene plays regularly haha, like nobody around here plays olimar and our only regular wario is keith (unfortunately mike's little brother can't come)

MLG road trip sounds like a great idea.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
You guys are aware of how LONG of a roadtrip that is, right? To either Texas or N. Carolina, that's a helluva long drive.

Links:
To Raleigh, North Carolina.
To Dallas, Texas.

And it's also a LOT of time to take off from school/work. Even if you skip doubles, it's gonna be like, 3 days of travel either way, and 2 days of tournament play.

It would be fun, though. Dan and I were just talking about it, the night before the last Melee tourney. He gets back from a long road trip to New Brunswick right before that, lol~

Also, YAY MOAR WARIO DITTOS!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i don't think so

and lol i think its so cool how Jem is so well known in the brawl community. I used to play melee with him for a summer when i was in seattle. haha. I wonder if he still plays melee

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure he does. I lurk WA tournament pages on AiB a lot to find things for BC to travel to, and I've seen him talk about his performance in Melee doubles or something before...

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
it seems like ALOT of ppl want to go, we'd probably have to do 2 cars to make that work

Edit: and ye it would likely be a three day road trip haha it would be awesome! and then three days back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom