• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Is the ship's tilting random or systematic? I'm not totally sure but I'm just gonna say I've seen Lylat gimp more people than Randall has saved on Yoshi's. Plus the platforms benefit everyone randomly, whereas Lylat's tilting hurts a lot of characters recoveries.

Edit: And while I love Pictochat (we have it on the starter's list at our smashfests), it can be pretty ******** sometimes hahaha. The roller coaster and the venus flytrap are specifically ridiculous. But to me it seems like everyone bases ban criteria off of which stages make Metagay ever more gay.

TheCresent

Smash Apprentice
Is the ship's tilting random or systematic? I'm not totally sure but I'm just gonna say I've seen Lylat gimp more people than Randall has saved on Yoshi's. Plus the platforms benefit everyone randomly, whereas Lylat's tilting hurts a lot of characters recoveries.
lol way to see scrubs play, sounds like 08 recoveries.

Limeee

Smash Champion
omg, ban yoshis

so ban ps2 as well mike?

the difference is that randall only saves people offstage, whereas the wind transformation affects the entire stage

but randall is pretty stupid

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The ghost is ****ing ********, and the shy guys are just as ****ing bad. **** both HAZARDS and **** this stupid ****ing stage.

TheCresent

Smash Apprentice
Anybody that can powershield/wait for opportunities when people are camping, no matter how minor, is a legit player in my books.

lol

but anyway, you just have to be patient with campers if you run in and just get hit by everything they throw out, you're doing it wrong.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

CPs:
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Norfair
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Pokémon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise

Oh look, the perfect Brawl stage list.
Edit: You can also move Lylat to CPs and not use stage-striking.
AHAHAHAHAHA! Those two stages over pictochat? Omg

T-block

B2B TST

Edit: And while I love Pictochat (we have it on the starter's list at our smashfests), it can be pretty ******** sometimes hahaha. The roller coaster and the venus flytrap are specifically ridiculous. But to me it seems like everyone bases ban criteria off of which stages make Metagay ever more gay.
Lylat actually has "transformations". The ship follows a set path through space (same background has the same tilt at the same time), but the path it follows (the transformations) has a random order. If you really really studied the stage, I'm sure you could predict the tilt of the ship most of the time actually...

But Monty, I don't see your point lol... are you saying Lylat should be CP if YI is CP? Because I definitely think YI should be CP.

omg, ban yoshis

so ban ps2 as well mike?

the difference is that randall only saves people offstage, whereas the wind transformation affects the entire stage

but randall is pretty stupid
Random does not mean ban ._. There can be a case for random = not starter (which is why I don't argue for Pictochat to be a starter, and why I argue for YI to be CP). PS2 is definitely CP, but if you want to say it's not a starter because of its randomness, I can accept that.

Where the stage feature occurs doesn't matter. In both situations presented by you and me, a feature of the stage changed the stock count. That's all that matters.

The ghost is ****ing ********, and the shy guys are just as ****ing bad. **** both HAZARDS and **** this stupid ****ing stage.
Luke telling it like it is.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Lylat actually has "transformations". The ship follows a set path through space (same background has the same tilt at the same time), but the path it follows (the transformations) has a random order. If you really really studied the stage, I'm sure you could predict the tilt of the ship most of the time actually...

But Monty, I don't see your point lol... are you saying Lylat should be CP if YI is CP? Because I definitely think YI should be CP.
I'm not really trying to make an argument, just feeding on/providing information. I support Yoshi's vs Lylat, but I can see why someone would feel otherwise.

And Luke, sorry I guess it's also related to what I'm used to. Nate introduced the EC rule set to us, and the first Brawl tournaments I went to were EC. I'm just assuming they've already gone through these discussions and made the right conclusions considering their metagame is a little more advanced. But ya, I can see why Norfair and Japes could be considered as/more ******** as/than PC.

T-block

B2B TST
The sad thing is, most of the stages they ban are banned without being given a chance. I could understand your argument if EC had Pictochat on their list for months, and then decided it was too random for play based off matches played during those months. Instead, these stages are rarely played, and when they are, they are played suboptimally, so they actually have no data for competitive play on these stages. Their metagame is not more advanced with respect to stages. If they come over here and we know how to play Pictochat and they don't, wouldn't you say we are more advanced in this aspect?

I don't think the stage is as intrusive as most people claim. Only 6 transformations have active hitboxes, and only 5 transformations have the potential to kill you.

Thread on Pictochat

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Only 6 transformations have active hitboxes, and only 5 transformations have the potential to kill you.
Is that supposed to argue in favour of Pictochat? LOL. No johns though, I'm not a big fan of Pictochat personally, but it's a solid CP.

Using the MLG list would be a pretty cool way to do things. It kills arguments, and doesn't afraid of anything.

That, or Zeriph's list + Pictochat as a CP.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah it's in favour of Pictochat, considering there are 27 transformations total, and you only see approximately 15 of them in an average 5-minute game.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they did a lot of stage testing early in the game's life, but I guess there is enough reason to continue to test stages after key changes in the character metagame.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I thought it was only 4/6? The bulbs of fire can't KO, and the bullets have set knockback, do they not? That leaves the mine cart, the plant, and the 2 sets of spikes (the pole things coming from the ground, and the ones that appear from the sides). Even then, I don't recall ever seeing the spikes on the side KO unless somebody was sent into them with what would have been a KOing blow anyway.

If we wanna talk numbers, I can also say that 3/3 of Halberd's hazards can KO. =0

:005:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
yoshi's island should be a cp. ps2 should be cp, ps1 cp, halberd cp, I don't really know where to put pictochat though...cp or ban? haha

KarlR

Smash Cadet
I cant believe this discussion is happening again ... guess theres nothing else to do on these ****ty boards lol.

-yoshis island -> cp
-keep pc since its fun and not lame
-remove greengreens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom