• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Williams Honorarium

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just to break the news to anyone who has not heard, he committed suicide earlier today.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/

It hit me that his daughter was quite literally involved with Smash, down to her involvement at the tournament for Smash Bros where Zelda said she was a regular player of the game...and I believe was actually pretty good at playing.
I know Robin himself was quite a fan of video games, down to the naming of his daughter of the popular Nintendo series.

I know there are a few give back threads on here, such as 'Thank you Sakurai,' but perhaps there is a way for the Smash community to show support back?
I think it would be pretty cool if Sakurai acknowledged this in some way- he was quite a well known entertainer and philanthropist. Perhaps a PotD mii to commemorate?

As this has become the official thread for the topic, if anyone has anything of note that can be added to this initial post, please feel free to tag me in the message. I would love to get something going here.

UPDATE: Of course, as I was trying to think of something the video game community could do, someone else did in fact think of something. A petition was made at change.org to make Robin a character in the new Zelda game. If you would like to add your support, click below.

"Make an NPC named after Robin Williams in the new Zelda title"
https://www.change.org/en-AU/petiti...new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams

Last edited:

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for it. He was a beautiful man and deserved the best. He's left far too soon, hope his memory will live forever.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am moving this to the Media Metropolis subforum.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I woke up to this terrible news. I am a huge Robin Williams fan and have viewed most if not all of his works. But I also respect the man for his intellect, humor, charity, and his support of gaming. He was the first celebrity I heard of actively participating in the video gaming industry and something I found to be very cool - especially for his love of the Zelda and Evangelion series. His passing is tragic and just to soon - especially given his career was still on going. While he did get criticism for being to humorous in more solemn movies such as Dead Poets Society, I actually liked that about it and felt he was able to adapt to various roles very well.

The world has lost a great actor, a great comedian, a greater gamer, and a great person. He will be missed greatly.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I admittedly haven't watch much of the man's movies, but the ones I have seen were very enjoyable, with him as the best part. He was a very respectful man, his family and friends have my sympathy.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Dear Robin Williams,

Thank you for helping my family relationship flourish with Mrs. DoubtFire and voicing Genie from Aladdin to make him a memorable character.

May you rest in piece everlasting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Men like him do not come around very often in this world. Filled with some celebrities whom are corrupted, Robin Williams was a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
Really Sad news. My deepest condolences to his family, especially Zelda. From what i've heard about him, he seemed like a great person. On screen, he was hilarious. I'll miss ya Genie.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464

Thank you for everything Robin Williams

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464

(sorry about the double post I wanted to get both videos posted)

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I was literally torn to shreds when I found out he was gone. Robin Williams was one of my favorite actors and just a great person, having the same interests as many of us. Here's to one of the great and funny men of our time!

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The news is very sad. He was a caring, genuinely funny, lively and intelligent man. I've always been his fan.

As for Sakurai and a PotD, there will be no mention of it. The only nod to Sir Robin Williams will be a PotD involving Princess Zelda or something Zelda related, or perhaps an almost filler type picture where a character will be in a pose kneeling or bowing to Zelda, something of that sort; as a sign of respecting someone or a special person. Along those lines.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Robin Williams I liked this guy for making the voice of genie in Aladdin I heard this bad news 4 hours ago I couldn't believe it :(

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
He's one of my recongizable actor in my whole life, looks like Night at the Museum 3 is his last masterpiece, hope you guys will go see it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Can someone play the song of time to stop him from doing this...

Rapidkirby3k

"Let's Go!"
NNID
Rapidkirby3k
Switch FC
0884-6756-7584
Truly sad news to hear. He really was a great (and funny) actor. =( I even grew up watching some of his movies, such as Aladdin, Ferngully, Mrs. Doubtfire, What Dreams May Come... :(

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ugh. Everything is so sour to me now that this news has broken. Such a good source of light and joy in the world. Just wish he could have provided himself with as much joy as he brought the rest of the world.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors and comedians and he seemed like a real great guy. I loved him in Jumanji and his other works. My condolences to his family.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
I don't think another celebrity death has ever affected me as much as this one did. Robin Williams has been one of my biggest influences ever since I was just a young child. I feel like I've lost a friend and a mentor. He will truly be missed, but his legacy will always live on in all his works.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I don't have the same gripes as people who revered Robin Williams do. But my numbness doesn't nothing to invalidate your feelings. I'm not gonna worship his achievements to something delusionally godlike. That's just disrespectful! I, too, want to sample some of those palpable memories of yours. I've certainly seen my share of his work too.

What I admire most about Robin was how accessible and faithful he was towards so many mediums. Movies, television, animation, games. He cherished them all in the same regard. He took each of them on the same level of conviction. Most importantly, he contributed to them with many memorable performances and contributions.

I mean, name me another celebrity you know who's just as much of a nerd as one of us!

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't have the same gripes as people who revered Robin Williams do. But my numbness doesn't nothing to invalidate your feelings. I'm not gonna worship his achievements to something delusionally godlike. That's just disrespectful! I, too, want to sample some of those palpable memories of yours. I've certainly seen my share of his work too.

What I admire most about Robin was how accessible and faithful he was towards so many mediums. Movies, television, animation, games. He cherished them all in the same regard. He took each of them on the same level of conviction. Most importantly, he contributed to them with many memorable performances and contributions.

I mean, name me another celebrity you know who's just as much of a nerd as one of us!
It's more than that. As a person, he was always helpful and worked towards great causes via charities including the Comic Relief, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, of course the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, and others. His support of the LGBT community and the fact he's as liberal as they come does make him popular among those who too are liberal (myself included). Even some conservatives like the man; he's that lovable.

Many may laud him for his acting career, but I give my high praises for who he was as a human being. Nostalgia is a powerful thing (I grew up watching his movies), but even I can eliminate my nostalgia in this case and still be heavily saddened that he's gone; the world really did lose a wonderful human being.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It's more than that. As a person, he was always helpful and worked towards great causes via charities including the Comic Relief, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, of course the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, and others. His support of the LGBT community and the fact he's as liberal as they come does make him popular among those who too are liberal (myself included). Even some conservatives like the man; he's that lovable.

Many may laud him for his acting career, but I give my high praises for who he was as a human being. Nostalgia is a powerful thing (I grew up watching his movies), but even I can eliminate my nostalgia in this case and still be heavily saddened that he's gone; the world really did lose a wonderful human being.
I don't have to sum up his philanthropy too just to get along how great of a human he was. I'm taking away why I respect from what he did in his life, nostalgia nonewithstanding.

I guess I'm just myopic about the human condition, but his generousity certainly reflects how likable his personality was. There's a small margin of notable people who commit to their causes whilst being understated about it. Dilettanting one out of the bunch only saddens me further about his death.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not to be cynical, but he didn't actually come up with that, it's a line from a movie. It's a little weird to use it to eulogize him as if it had some great personal significance.
That's irrelevant. It's still a quote he said, whether it was from a movie or not. Why does a movie quote said by him suddenly lack importance while other movie quotes from long dead celebrities hold merit?

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
That's irrelevant. It's still a quote he said, whether it was from a movie or not. Why does a movie quote said by him suddenly lack importance while other movie quotes from long dead celebrities hold merit?
When did I say it was okay to do that with other celebrities? It's disrespectful to the man who wrote those words to attribute them to someone else and disrespectful to Robins to attribute something he never directly expressed and may not have believed to him.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
When did I say it was okay to do that with other celebrities? It's disrespectful to the man who wrote those words to attribute them to someone else and disrespectful to Robins to attribute something he never directly expressed and may not have believed to him.
Guy, say what you want about what you morally think on the subject another time. This is a tribute to a man, not a debate thread in the Debate Hall.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Guy, say what you want about what you morally think on the subject another time. This is a tribute to a man, not a debate thread in the Debate Hall.
Maybe stick to posting tributes to things he actually did if you're trying to do something other than buff your post count, is all I'm saying. You're being disrespectful to the person you claim to be honoring, but in the interest of not crossing the line myself, I'll cut my participation in the discussion off here.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Maybe stick to posting tributes to things he actually did if you're trying to do something other than buff your post count, is all I'm saying. You're being disrespectful to the person you claim to be honoring, but in the interest of not crossing the line myself, I'll cut my participation in the discussion off here.
I'll hazard a bet you didn't bother to read what I had previously said about the man:

Top Bottom