• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Williams Honorarium

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

A little back story on this old video from 2001 - the gorilla here, Koko, can understand human speech and can express many things via human sign language. It's childhood friend (a fellow gorilla) had passed away six months prior to this video.

It's time with Robin Williams, however, was the first time it smiled or laughed after the passing of it's friend. It also recognised him from his movies.

The man truly was a gift not only to humanity, but also to the planet Earth as a whole.

Oh, and:

----------------

Also:

"All Google Adsense revenue earned by this video will be donated by me to the "Anxiety and Depression Association of America" (ADAA) for the fight against depression. So let's celebrate the life of the late, great Robin WIlliams with this review of a movie containing some of his best voice work as the beloved Genie. Jeremy reviews Disney's "Aladdin"!"

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to add some important things here.

First of all, Zelda William's thoughts:

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.
To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too…
Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."
Also, an important petition - "Make an NPC named after Robin Williams in the new Zelda title"

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petiti...new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Signed and shared to Facebook. Hopefully, more support will come out of this.

I should also say that the wording of this petition is a bit fallacious in its cause. Specifically how the author says for NoA to get localization to just name some NPC Robin. You should comment on how you want this NPC to look and act like Robin as well. It would be a pretty neat piece of gaming trivis otherwise.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Signed and shared to Facebook. Hopefully, more support will come out of this.

I should also say that the wording of this petition is a bit fallacious in its cause. Specifically how the author says for NoA to get localization to just name some NPC Robin. You should comment on how you want this NPC to look and act like Robin as well. It would be a pretty neat piece of gaming trivis otherwise.
Well doing that much is a bit harder, because that would require convincing the actual developers.

At the least though, there should be a genie in the game. Doesn't even have to particularly look like Robin, but just name him Robin. That would be a clear enough reference.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just saying, harrowing grasps of red tape like that are the foundation of most petitions. If we want the best effect possible, we should get them to get to the devs. Ultimately, this is up to the discretion of the author.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
What if it had to do with the happy masks salesman. (if he is included in said title.)
It could even just be a bit of dialogue, such as

Happy masks salesman:
(content)
It's hard work to sell happiness.

(frantic expression)
It's a very trying business.

(begins to frown.)
and people tend to believe you're not well.

(content)
But a good friend once told me. . .

(grinning)
"You're only given one little spark of madness.
You musn't lose it ."

End of dialogue

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am still having a hard time coming to grips with his death. I was not only a huge fan of his works but I respected him as a comedian, a philanthropist, a gamer, and as a person. Many of his movies such as "Good Morning Vietnam", "Patch Adams", "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poets Society", and even "Aladdin" inspired me to cherish the moment that you have and to look forward to the future; even if it is a bit frightening. And while I am deeply saddened by his passing, this quote from "Patch Adams" hit me really hard in a good way.

"What's wrong with death sir? What are we so mortally afraid of? Why can't we treat death with a certain amount of humanity and dignity, and decency, and God forbid, maybe even humor. Death is not the enemy gentlemen. If we're going to fight a disease, let's fight one of the most terrible diseases of all, indifference."

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to add some important things here.

First of all, Zelda William's thoughts:

Also, an important petition - "Make an NPC named after Robin Williams in the new Zelda title"

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petiti...new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams

Yes, was coming to add this to the original post!
Really think Nintendo will in fact follow through with this, in fact.

I agree to nearly the fullest extent I can, @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom ; I was affected by his movies and him as a person, not his comedy so much. Particularly relating to specific characteristics to his life, personality, choices, and detriments.
Though his relatability is perhaps what makes this difficult on many people. Not as much a personal loss, for I only knew him on a second degree, which perhaps makes him enough of a person rather than an ideal or distant incarnation of media with my imagination as most celebrities are, intangible realities...

Strangely difficult indeed.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A Fox News reporter calls Robin Williams "such a coward" over his suicide:

Unless he has a family he has to feed, I hope he gets fired.

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Here's an alternate perspective.

I don't know what really happened, not going to pretend I do.

Robin is dead and it's a tragedy, such a bright light snuffed out.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was literally in tears when I heard the news. He was truly one of a kind who made me and the whole world laugh...

R.I.P. Robin Williams... He will definitely be missed...

"O Captain! My Captain!"

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A bit late, but it is quite a shame that Robin Williams committed suicide. He was a great and funny guy. It is sad to see that he died like this.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I find it funny how when thousands of good people die no one cares, but if it's just one man people will start crying, then they care.

I also don't like the fact how he had fame and money. He could literally go anywhere in the world or buy anything he wanted to. Usually I think that people who commit suicide are cowards and ungrateful because millions of people are starving and dying in third world countries and they dont kill themselves. With the lack of evidence for most religions I believe we are most likely gone for good when we die. I don't want to hive up my only chance at life, so I would never resort to suicide. I don't want anyone to die unless there deaths are for the greater good. I have a right to speak and this is just my criticism on the issue, please do not flag or report me because you can't take an opinion. He had millions of people who cared for him, familt and fans. Why would you leave behind your family like that? Keep the suffering to yourself, try to fix the depression, dont spread it onto others you love.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find it funny how when thousands of good people die no one cares, but if it's just one man people will start crying, then they care.

I also don't like the fact how he had fame and money. He could literally go anywhere in the world or buy anything he wanted to. Usually I think that people who commit suicide are cowards and ungrateful because millions of people are starving and dying in third world countries and they dont kill themselves. With the lack of evidence for most religions I believe we are most likely gone for good when we die. I don't want to hive up my only chance at life, so I would never resort to suicide. I don't want anyone to die unless there deaths are for the greater good. I have a right to speak and this is just my criticism on the issue, please do not flag or report me because you can't take an opinion. He had millions of people who cared for him, familt and fans. Why would you leave behind your family like that? Keep the suffering to yourself, try to fix the depression, dont spread it onto others you love.
How do you expect people to get especially upset over every death? People don't instinctively know when people die around the world. We don't know when people are dying as each death happens, and lots of people try to do what they can to help those that are dying. A lot of people were just upset over Robin Williams' death because he's a specific person a lot of people are attached to. What you're saying is as bad as saying "I find it funny when thousands of people die and no one cares (this part being untrue) and then when someone's mother dies, that person is really upset".

The rest of your comment screams both jealousy and ignorance. How much material and monetary wealth he had means nothing (ever heard the phrase "Money can't buy happiness"?). Depression is a mental illness. And Robin had it for at least a decade. When someone commits depressive suicide (keeping in mind that not all suicide is depressive - there is such a thing as "euphoric suicide", where perfectly happy people with good lives kill themselves because they simply prefer the concept of death to the concept of life, even if they really like the concept of life), they generally are not in a perfect state of mind, they are often quite out of their minds.

And people who kill themselves even due to depression, that doesn't automatically make them a coward. A coward is someone who only escapes fear rather than facing it, but not all people kill themselves because they are afraid of life. Some kill themselves because they are outright bored with life. Which is anything but fear, that's apathy.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
How do you expect people to get especially upset over every death? People don't instinctively know when people die around the world. We don't know when people are dying as each death happens, and lots of people try to do what they can to help those that are dying. A lot of people were just upset over Robin Williams' death because he's a specific person a lot of people are attached to. What you're saying is as bad as saying "I find it funny when thousands of people die and no one cares (this part being untrue) and then when someone's mother dies, that person is really upset".

The rest of your comment screams both jealousy and ignorance. How much material and monetary wealth he had means nothing (ever heard the phrase "Money can't buy happiness"?). Depression is a mental illness. And Robin had it for at least a decade. When someone commits depressive suicide (keeping in mind that not all suicide is depressive - there is such a thing as "euphoric suicide", where perfectly happy people with good lives kill themselves because they simply prefer the concept of death to the concept of life, even if they really like the concept of life), they generally are not in a perfect state of mind, they are often quite out of their minds.

And people who kill themselves even due to depression, that doesn't automatically make them a coward. A coward is someone who only escapes fear rather than facing it, but not all people kill themselves because they are afraid of life. Some kill themselves because they are outright bored with life. Which is anything but fear, that's apathy.
Oh cool, are you telling me you wouldn't be happy to be own millions dollars? I think most people would be happy to be given that much money. Dont video games make you happy? You bought it with money. Money makes people happy because of the things it lets you buy. The paper is worthless, the things you buy are what you care for.

I just find it ironic how people in first world countries suffer compared to people in third world countries. At some point you need to own up to your disability or state of mind and try to fix it.

Im not telling anyone to cry over every death, I just find it unfair how one mans death is so much greater than others who died, like he had more worth or was special.

I am jealous of rich people, I'm not afraid to say it because it's normal for people to want what they can't get. I don't have money to buy most of the games I want.

Just because you hear someone say something you don't like doesn't mean that they are ignorant. I am not lacking any knowledge of this topic but why he was depressed, please enlighten me. I'm pretty sure he was a kind person overall, other than choosing to eat and use animals even when better cheaper alternatives are present, though cost wouldn't be a problem.

I hate how good people have to die. Dying is painful. You end up forgotten fast if you're not known. If you do make it to fame and fortune, the people who remember you will also be forgotten too, it just takes longer for your existence to diminish into nothing.

I dont believe in the afterlife as no evidence has shown. So I cant really say rest in peace. Because if you dont exist anymore you cant rest or have peace.

We are all just little worthless insects living on a ball of dust. Try to keep what little worth you have for as long as you can. We all die someday, just focus on delaying it.

Again, don't flag or report because you can't take an opinion. I really dislike sensitive people.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh cool, are you telling me you wouldn't be happy to be own millions dollars? I think most people would be happy to be given that much money. Dont video games make you happy? You bought it with money. Money makes people happy because of the things it lets you buy. The paper is worthless, the things you buy are what you care for.

I just find it ironic how people in first world countries suffer compared to people in third world countries. At some point you need to own up to your disability or state of mind and try to fix it.

Im not telling anyone to cry over every death, I just find it unfair how one mans death is so much greater than others who died, like he had more worth or was special.

I am jealous of rich people, I'm not afraid to say it because it's normal for people to want what they can't get. I don't have money to buy most of the games I want.

Just because you hear someone say something you don't like doesn't mean that they are ignorant. I am not lacking any knowledge of this topic but why he was depressed, please enlighten me. I'm pretty sure he was a kind person overall, other than choosing to eat and use animals even when better cheaper alternatives are present, though cost wouldn't be a problem.

I hate how good people have to die. Dying is painful. You end up forgotten fast if you're not known. If you do make it to fame and fortune, the people who remember you will also be forgotten too, it just takes longer for your existence to diminish into nothing.

I dont believe in the afterlife as no evidence has shown. So I cant really say rest in peace. Because if you dont exist anymore you cant rest or have peace.

We are all just little worthless insects living on a ball of dust. Try to keep what little worth you have for as long as you can. We all die someday, just focus on delaying it.

Again, don't flag or report because you can't take an opinion. I really dislike sensitive people.
2edgy4me

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, it's just you're completely missing very, very basic stuff and proceeding to ramble with pseudo-philosophical nonsense, that for the most part, is factually wrong.

Depression is a disease. Like cancer. Only it's a mental disease. There is no known cure for it, much like cancer.

And it's fine to want that which you don't have but to make jealousy the forefront of your "why people shouldn't care about his death" argument is really obnoxious, disrespectful, and juvenile.

And I largely don't care to respond to such ignorance in detail because I don't think I'll be getting through since my initial reply didn't seem to do the job, and it's pretty cut and dry. It's fine if you don't care about his death, but don't disregard the feelings of others just so you can be a contrarian.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
No, it's just you're completely missing very, very basic stuff and proceeding to ramble with pseudo-philosophical nonsense, that for the most part, is factually wrong.

Depression is a disease. Like cancer. Only it's a mental disease. There is no known cure for it, much like cancer.

And it's fine to want that which you don't have but to make jealousy the forefront of your "why people shouldn't care about his death" argument is really obnoxious, disrespectful, and juvenile.

And I largely don't care to respond to such ignorance in detail because I don't think I'll be getting through since my initial reply didn't seem to do the job, and it's pretty cut and dry. It's fine if you don't care about his death, but don't disregard the feelings of others just so you can be a contrarian.
2edgy4me.

I know it's a disease. Many people have depression on the same level or worse but still live and get help. He wasn't strong enough to survive and is gone now.

I said I am jealous of those who have what I want, but I am not basing my argument out of jealousy.

Why do you keep on assuming things? Why would I base my argument on jealousy? Why would you assume I don't know it's a disease? Because you want to win like me. This argument holds no value. I continue on because I believe I am right. Don't call someone ignorant because you don't like their opinion.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
2edgy4me.

I know it's a disease. Many people have depression on the same level or worse but still live and get help. He wasn't strong enough to survive and is gone now.

I said I am jealous of those who have what I want, but I am not basing my argument out of jealousy.

Why do you keep on assuming things? Why would I base my argument on jealousy? Why would you assume I don't know it's a disease? Because you want to win like me. This argument holds no value. I continue on because I believe I am right. Don't call someone ignorant because you don't like their opinion.
It's not about strength though. That literally has nothing to do with depression. Much like how strength won't help you cure cancer (by the way, are you noticing a pattern yet?).

The rest of your argument has me inclined to think otherwise and you still aren't doing anything to imply otherwise.

-I'm not assuming anything, merely going off of what you're saying, nothing more.
-You tell me.
-I'm not assuming you don't know it's a disease, you are just blatantly ignoring the fact even when it's presented right in your face, and it changes the validity of your whole argument, but you refuse to acknowledge that.

And don't be assuming things about me, I don't want to win anything. I gain nothing from this (that's a pattern with 99% of my posts on this website). What you're saying isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong and I'm correcting you, for your own good more than anyone else. Because quite frankly, if you said what you're saying right now to someone IRL, it'd potentially be your death being mourned over after the fact.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
It's not about strength though. That literally has nothing to do with depression. Much like how strength won't help you cure cancer (by the way, are you noticing a pattern yet?).

The rest of your argument has me inclined to think otherwise and you still aren't doing anything to imply otherwise.

-I'm not assuming anything, merely going off of what you're saying, nothing more.
-You tell me.
-I'm not assuming you don't know it's a disease, you are just blatantly ignoring the fact even when it's presented right in your face, and it changes the validity of your whole argument, but you refuse to acknowledge that.

And don't be assuming things about me, I don't want to win anything. I gain nothing from this (that's a pattern with 99% of my posts on this website). What you're saying isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong and I'm correcting you, for your own good more than anyone else. Because quite frankly, if you said what you're saying right now to someone IRL, it'd potentially be your death being mourned over after the fact.
A mental handicap is different than a physical handicap. Depression is easier treated than cancer. One pill and it slowly starts to fade, with the help of therapy and other services.

1) You assumed I was basing my argument off of jealousy.

2) You assumed I wanted people to get upset over every death.

It is harder for them to reach out for help, I understand that. If you are mentally or physically handicap then you are broken. Our broken machines and tools are thrown away, much like how the sick are, as they can't positively influence our evolution. Not that they dont deserve to live, but they only pass down negative genes and traits down to others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom