• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB OFFICIAL MATCHUP DISCUSSION: Pit

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Continuing our trend of 2x matchups per week (last one before the normal 1x/week), we're gonna do talk about Pit. Sure, its not necc. a super common character, but- it at least gives us a break from beating some matchups to death. That being said....

I would like to have a bit more "order" to the discussions from now on (as it makes it easier on me whenever I try to compile them into synopses). Please post in the following "format" (or at least a reasonable facsimile of)

ROB's Advantages:

ROB's Disadvantages:

Opponent's Advantages:

Opponent's Disadvantages:

What ROB should try to do:

How to do it:

How opponent can stop it:

What Opponent should be trying to do:

How they'll do it:

How ROB can stop it:

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick)
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban)
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants)

Ratio:

This may look lengthy, but- it shouldnt be that hard as the +/- for each character is just more or less a list.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
ROB's Advantages: Range of his moves >>>> Pits.

ROB's Disadvantages: Big = combo-able

Opponent's Advantages: Ledge games/better projectile

Opponent's Disadvantages: 3 Kill moves and they are hella easy to read.

What ROB should try to do: camping is nigh impossible in this match up. Pits arrows come out too fast. Your better off sh-airdodge your way into F-tilt range rather than have a long ranged fight. Get him off the stage. Pit is soooooooo fun to gimp. He thinks he has lots of trixies to get back onto the stage. Going under the stage Is negated with weak laser gimps.

How opponent can stop it: He sits on the ledge and shoots arrows at you until you aproach then u-airs u until you get away from the ledge so he can shoot more arrows.

What Opponent should be trying to do: Camp w/ arrows and plank. Till kill % Then Bair/Ftilt/Fsmash for the kill.

How ROB can stop it:
PS or Sh air dodge the arrows and zdrop gyros on the planking pit.
Counterpicks (what ROB should pick) Mansion/Frigate
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban) FD
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants)Smashville/lylat

Ratio: Definition of even 50-50

Doctor X

Smash Lord
ROB's Advantages: Aerials beat pretty much all of Pit's moves, plus since Pit is midweight and can recover from almost anything, being able to kill with charged lasers is a plus.

ROB's Disadvantages: Aerials lag a bit, leaving an opening for bairs which are deadly. Also very vulnerable to arrow gimps because he can't air dodge out of his up-B.

Opponent's Advantages: Reflectors and curving arrows makes Pit one of the few characters that can completely shut down Rob's projectile game.

Opponent's Disadvantages: All his ground moves lag a bit, leaving him open to dsmash if Rob spot dodges. Plus they're all mostly multi-hit, so Rob can SDI out and fair him sometimes, which is really obnoxious.

What ROB should try to do: Chase him off the stage, force him to use his up-B, then kill him with any move. Otherwise, usmash or nair him out of his glide for kills.

How to do it: Throws are great for getting Pit off the stage. His dodges have almost no lag, though, so he can be difficult to grab. Grabbing from kind of tech chase or glide toss I think would be ideal. Once he's off, stand on the edge and try to read where he's going to go. You'll either run off the edge and fair if he goes to the edge, or turn around, jump off and laser to take him out of his glide if he goes low.

How opponent can stop it: Recovering very high or very low is usually pit's best bet.

What Opponent should be trying to do: Shoot rob with lots and lots of arrows, then get him off the stage, from there try to get him to waste his jump, then follow with a gimp or kill.

How they'll do it: Throws, fsmash, fair, bair, and ftilt are what you want to watch out for from Pit. If they don't kill you outright, he can use arrows to force a jump then follow with more arrows into your up-B until you run out of gas, or jumping off the stage and trying to bair you out of the up-B (very difficult since he has to properly outspace the fair and hit you before you can do another one).

How ROB can stop it: If you get knocked off the stage, be very careful with your jump. Do not use it unless you have to. Without it you are vulnerable.

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick): Anything with a close side boundary so you can kill him with lasers easier. Pictochat and Yoshi's are good.
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban): Ban Halberd. Pit's edgegame and recovery are very tough to beat on that stage due to the soft floors.
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants): Yoshi's Island

Ratio:
Very much 50-50

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Will post full analysis of this later, I know more about this matchup than probably anyone else out there lol, cause one of the best Pits (pretty much besides Sagemoon, but he keeps quitting and rejoining etc), Rogue Pit, is a crew member of mine, lives right near me, and we're standard doubles partners.

This is as even as it comes. There are too many things both characters have to deal with the other one.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
I know this matchup pretty well.
I play vs Sagemoon (lolpwndchibo)

anywayy.....

This is in ROB's advantage but only slightly.
Pit has arrows and shield poke kills with bair, but other than that he's not a huge pain to deal with.

If pit tries to recover low/under the stage, blast him with a laser.

if the pit you are facing is smart, play slightly more agressive than you normally would.

45/55 ROB's advantage

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
if the pit you are facing is smart, play slightly more agressive than you normally would.
this.

this is one of the matchups that is definitely played better being aggressive.

il prob type up my analysis when im bored in comp sci class tonight lol

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Will post full analysis of this later, I know more about this matchup than probably anyone else out there lol, cause one of the best Pits (pretty much besides Sagemoon, but he keeps quitting and rejoining etc), Rogue Pit, is a crew member of mine, lives right near me, and we're standard doubles partners.

This is as even as it comes. There are too many things both characters have to deal with the other one.
You probably are twice as good as me against the Pit match-up, I can't wait to read it....I have no real idea how to fight Pit LOL.

Top Bottom