• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Victory - video four.....FINALLY?!?!?

Staco

Smash Champion
Yeah, istudy is awesome.
He was like the first one, who pulled me into the international smash scene.
On my first big smash tourney (Cologne is Brawln, August 2009) he played me like 5+ hours, which was pretty awesome for me as an offline newcomer.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
istudy in his prime would beat nearly everyone
then again that can be said for alot of people xD

Staco

Smash Champion
istudy in his prime would beat nearly everyone
then again that can be said for alot of people xD
nah, it´s not him getting worse, it´s the others getting much better
he shouldnt have quitted for such a long time

Mr-R

Smash Champion
no it's him playing the game once in every 2 months

Staco

Smash Champion
Of course you do, but I think thats just a minor factor of why iStudy cant keep up any more.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hey... I have a question.

What do you think I can learn from watching my own tournament matches? What should I look out for, what can I analyse, what can I learn from my opponent? How do I make it something worthwhile?

Jem.

Smash Master

What do you think I can learn from watching my own tournament matches? What should I look out for, what can I analyse, what can I learn from my opponent? How do I make it something worthwhile?
Why are you getting hit

Why is your opponent getting hit

Why is your opponent not getting hit

Why you lost

Bad habits you have. EX: out of nervousness, air-dodging a lot when trying to get back on stage and you get punished a lot

Reasons your opponent did attacks that hit or did not hit

Opportunities you missed out on

That's usually what I look for, I don't really seperate them though, my brain just works that fast on all cylinders when I watch videos.. So try that.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I got you Gheb ^__^ will make a vid soon I guess

it's hard when nobody has like a topic they want me to talk about that has any depth

Exdeath

Smash Master
What do you do to handle inexperienced players and experienced players? Sometimes I'll do very well against a national player and then lose to a player who is worse than I am. Aside from mindset problems (I try to take everyone seriously). What I've been doing is just relying on Neutral B/gimmicks against players who are ~mid-level, but sometimes players are experienced enough to get around that, but not to the point where their thoughts are structured to the point where I can read them.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I recorded something with this today before I went, However Its only like 3-4 minutes. I suppose I could rant on it but that kinda ruins the point of this imo for me.

Any one else have any questions so I have enough to put up for a video!? ^_^

thanks Xdeath

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dögüsch Smash and BiP2 impressions would be awesome if you didn't do them already. And new players you met that have impressed you and didn't hear about yet? Any "lessons" learned from the tourney? Assuming you'll attend M2N - any outlooks yet? Anything you'd like to prepare for in particular?

I'd also like to hear the differences between USA and EU in terms of hosting tournaments. What are the pros and cons in comparison?

:059:

Exdeath

Smash Master
What do you think breeds consistency? e.g. Continual practice, solid mindset, good diet, etc.

Laem

Smash Champion
i'd ask if anything were to come to mind (what defines one's d3 as 'ghetto' :D?)
you left one question out from gheb tho about difference in hosting
but content on dis **** is preh gud (Y)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You don't have to apologize for not answering a question. They are just suggestions on what direction your explanations take. If two of my questions are enough to fill 9 minutes that's cool. No need to answer everything asap.

:059:

Orion*

Smash Researcher

I love how I definitely forgot about this one LOOOL i will do it next time <3

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Do you guys believe the idea of having a natural limit? Like once you reach a certain point, you are at your maximum potential and cannot progress any further?

I know that by practicing a lot, anyone can get better. But is there a limit for people? We all would like to think that you get back exactly what effort you put into something, but it is a fact that some people are more naturally gifted than others. This is apparent in our differences in various types of intelligence.

Sometimes we say someone has "potential" for the game, but does having high "potential" mean you progress faster towards being perfect or that it means you have a higher maximum skill limit than other people?

I just want some input because this concept interests me. Personally, I believe there is no limit, but that there is diminished return for the effort you put in.

on a much lighter note: http://www.geekstir.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/batmanspy.jpg
Also do you think growth is exponential? What do you think about wifi? What are your thoughts on learning to pick up habits of players? What are good examples of zoning?

Food for thought cuz i want this continued :)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You can't reach a peak in a video game in my opinion. There's not enough to get out of the game to practice as much as say... professionals in sports. They study film, practice for hours, and alter their diet to be the best they can be. They revolve their entire life around getting better so they can get sponsorships, better contracts, and win more games.

You win like what 1000$ at a national and 200 at locals? Why would you spend more than 20 hours a week playing a game where theres minimum reward?

If you practice more than the next guy, you'll most likely get better than them. It just depends on how fast you get better. If you have people (should be better than you) helping you (to point out your mistakes, flaws, and what you're doing right), and consistent practice with competitive people, then you're get better faster.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Well there are certain physical limitations like reaction time, computing power, maximum finger dexterity that are nerfed by human limitations. But those limits can be extended preeeeetty far. Someone could probably max out reaction time at like 9 or 10 frames lol. And thats like bbqhax crazy reaction time. O__o

You can't reach a peak in a video game in my opinion. There's not enough to get out of the game to practice as much as say... professionals in sports. They study film, practice for hours, and alter their diet to be the best they can be. They revolve their entire life around getting better so they can get sponsorships, better contracts, and win more games.

You win like what 1000$ at a national and 200 at locals? Why would you spend more than 20 hours a week playing a game where theres minimum reward?

If you practice more than the next guy, you'll most likely get better than them. It just depends on how fast you get better. If you have people (should be better than you) helping you (to point out your mistakes, flaws, and what you're doing right), and consistent practice with competitive people, then you're get better faster.
Ummm, money isn't the only stimulant for success out there lol. You can be as dedicated as an NFL player who just so happens to be being paid seven digits if you're self-motivated. :3

etecoon

Smash Hero
you can't really "max out" your reaction time, you can improve your recognition of animations to an extent, the brain also creates shorter pathways for frequently used pieces of information, and your level of focus impacts it, but everyone has a base processing speed that you can't significantly alter.

I do agree that most people could make a lot of improvement though. I think I could be around twice as good as I am now if I could put the time in, my wii is dead though and I'm probably quitting the game soon. so frustrating too because I feel like only in the past 2-3 weeks have I really figured out what I needed to do

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
In a way yes, but in a way no. I feel like there is a point that everyone will hit eventually, this point is where you know everything about the game. For example you know frame data, you know all the characters moves, all the animations, all the little tricks gimmicks you can try to pull of, you know all of the 'game' stuff. I feel like most everyone will reach this level with enough time spent on the game.

However, I do not feel like this is a limit, because once you got all that down, the game finally begins to start. Smash seems to me like a head game. You know in poker how people say 'you don't play your hand, you play the opponents hand.' I feel like this is the literal definition of smash. You could get two people who know everything about the game, know EVERYTHING, but one will win and one will lose. You play your opponent, you try to think what he is thinking, try to tap into his mentality, what he feels, when he is getting scared, when he is getting momentum and confidence. It is a head game really, any competitive game is a head game.

Someone mentioned sports, I like that they did for you see in sports there isn't as much of that 'knowing you opponent, getting into his mentality and ****ing him up' for in sports there is 10000000000000 factors that aren't present in smash, and in sports you have 1000000000 more options than you do in smash, this makes predicting and knowing your opponent much harder and less effective than in smash.

TL;DR - Smash is a game about predicting your opponent and knowing him better than he knows himself. There is no limit on that.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Someone mentioned sports, I like that they did for you see in sports there isn't as much of that 'knowing you opponent, getting into his mentality and ****ing him up' for in sports there is 10000000000000 factors that aren't present in smash, and in sports you have 1000000000 more options than you do in smash, this makes predicting and knowing your opponent much harder and less effective than in smash
this is extremely untrue and in fact much of what you see in baseball and football at least is applicable to not only smash but most other forms of competition. pitching is probably the best example IMO. there are some pitchers that can get by mostly just throwing extremely fast but most of them have to do things like reading, conditioning, and mixing up just like you would in any fighting game. you see other similarities too like the benefits of being able to throw more than one pitch out of the same arm slot is kind of like how olimar is ****ing annoying because half his animations look almost identical...

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
lolsports.

Sports: get a ball throw/kick/move it somehow.
Smash: get some plastic and metal and flip your thumbs around on it.

Take ur pick lol.

etecoon

Smash Hero
not really a brawl specific question but something applicable to all competitive games, any advice or anything that works for you in staying focused?

just something I've been thinking about today, my results are really, really all over the place and I think I might have severe ADD lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
caffeine keeps you calm? o_O I don't notice a huge difference in any case but I do typically drink one or two energy drinks at tournaments, it does help react faster but my mind still wanders about the same as usual

it might be something you just develop with time idk, like 8 months ago I had a set where there was commentary being done for it and it distracted the **** out of me and I couldn't concentrate on the game at all(and then the commentary didn't even get used when it was uploaded...). tonight I did two sets on livestream and was able to pretty much completely block out anything that was being said. those are outside distractions rather than anything internal but I think the kind of focus needed is related anyway, hopefully moving in the right direction

Exdeath

Smash Master
caffeine keeps you calm? o_O I don't notice a huge difference in any case but I do typically drink one or two energy drinks at tournaments, it does help react faster but my mind still wanders about the same as usual

it might be something you just develop with time idk, like 8 months ago I had a set where there was commentary being done for it and it distracted the **** out of me and I couldn't concentrate on the game at all(and then the commentary didn't even get used when it was uploaded...). tonight I did two sets on livestream and was able to pretty much completely block out anything that was being said. those are outside distractions rather than anything internal but I think the kind of focus needed is related anyway, hopefully moving in the right direction
I have a lot of problems with this, but it actually helps my play vs. lower level players, too. I think that my auto pilot doesn't work as well when I'm still paying attention to the match (as in I play better on auto pilot when I'm zoned out).

Top Bottom