• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals Of Aether Trailer Released At E3: New Character Maypul!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
For those who don't know, Rival of Aether is an upcoming indie game title set to release on Xbox One and PC that holds many game mechanics similar to the Smash series. The game is "set in a world where warring civilizations summon the power of Fire, Water, Air, and Earth" where players can either learn about the planet of Aether and untangle its conflicts in a story mode, or take to online to battle others across the globe.

A Four Player Match In Action

The third trailer for the game was released at E3 today which includes gameplay from the character Forsburn alongside the reveal of a new character: Maypul! With her leafy and forest based attacks she looks to be an exciting addition to the roster. Check out the trailer below!

To learn more about the game be sure to check out its official Smashboards thread or visit the Rivals of Aether website. Be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for any other new on this promising indie game!

SmashCapps was incredibly excited to see the trailer and can't wait to get his hands on all of the characters. To share in the anticipation for the game follow him on Twitter.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I can't believe my cousin got in this game!
There were just so many auditions! We were afraid she wouldn't make it!

D

Deleted member

This game looks nice but i'd play it if it was available on PS4.

Fik

Smash Cadet
NNID
fikidydog
Looks fun. Seems like it'll play a lot like Super Smash Flash, but I wonder if it will use the same combo system as smash or something along the lines of street fighter or MK.

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
I wonder how much of a rip off its going to be.
#SoOriginal
It's like what D.O.T.A did with W.O.W. and subsequently what LoL did with D.O.T.A. I like it, and I encourage it so people can stop complaining about muh patches.

Last edited:

KrozoMagnus

Smash Rookie
I got to have the January build. It is a very fun game, much smoother than Smash flash IMO. I love pixel art and sprites, so this game appeals to me.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Looks fun. Seems like it'll play a lot like Super Smash Flash, but I wonder if it will use the same combo system as smash or something along the lines of street fighter or MK.
It plays like a Smash Bros. game. Most notably Melee.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
#SoOriginal
Because literally every game, piece of music, movie, book, etc. that you like is not derivative of something else.

How about we encourage indie devs like this, K? K.

For the sake of being current and super hip I will try to hashtag something too: #YouAreBeingADingus

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
inb4 lawsuit
It won't hold under a copyright suit. It's taking the physics and mechanics, but none of the original characters. Nintendo didn't patent the percentage system or the stage boundary system just like Street Fighter didn't patent the life bar system in fighters.

Additionally, if we were going by stage boundaries, Nintendo would have been sued by the creators of Soul Calibur a long time ago, and probably someone before Soul Calibur would have sued them.

gamegalaxy64

Smash Cadet
NNID
flarefusion1
3DS FC
1048-9074-1793
I hope to see a competitive scene derive out of this game

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
#SoOriginal
You might be on to something because we all know Sakurai invented the platform fighting genre right? He only made the genre popular with a project that first started off as a low budget original IP. A game called The Outfoxies existed before that and was created by Namco. By your logic any new platform fighter that's not a smash bros fan game will be a rip off because it's visually and plays similar to one of the Smash Bros games made by Sakurai. Your use of rip off is irrelevant because you'll find plenty of clones, good or bad of every single genre out there. I see no bootleg Mario or muscled race car driver fighting in this game. They know their target audience and they know we love games like smash. I support this because it looks awesome, I dig the mechanics, character designs, and that fact that it's just great to see some variety out there since AAA devs won't step up make their own smash clone that's not like PSASBR or Battle Stadium D.O.N (game was hype though).

If you want to know how much of a "rip off" it is then do some #Research.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Finally a Melee without all the pesky 20XX!

IT CAN BE WHATEVER YEAR WE WANT ISN'T THIS GREAT
But if X is a variable, 20XX could be any of 100 different years.

Fox is going to reign for 100 years, then the Skilled Roy will top the tier list. Our children five generation from now will look back on your post and see how foolish we were to not heed the advice that a Skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Rivals of Aether! It's got your favorite characters! Including Pyroar and Stagnaught! :4lucario:

So real quick- is this game being covered just because it has Smash mechanics?

Rhino Games

Smash Rookie
I really like this game, Its seems to be lots f fun and I would like to get a build.Would that cost anything? Also it seems this game has no heavy characters as of yet. Can we have a character that is like Ike? or just have some aspects of him. I mean its called rivals of AETHER for crying out loud.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Rivals of Aether! It's got your favorite characters! Including Pyroar and Stagnaught! :4lucario:

If I remember right, the creators name Smash as their inspiration for making it. Quite a few moves resemble ones from Smash as a deliberate homage.

Serious props to the developers for doing different things within each element. The second Fire-type fighter uses smoke and explosions over direct flames, and where the first Earth fighter uses stone, the second is plant-based! I'm willing to bet the second Water one is based around ice and the second Wind one uses lightning.

I'm interested, but I think I'll see how things play out before I grab the inevitable Steam release. If it's too Melee-esque, I'll probably pass on it, but if not, I call Maypul. >_>

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Hey, nice L on your profile pic. It's almost like *gasp* you stole it from Nintendo's Luigi.

#SoOriginal
If you want to see something unoriginal from me, check my sig. :p
You might be on to something because we all know Sakurai invented the platform fighting genre right? He only made the genre popular with a project that first started off as a low budget original IP. A game called The Outfoxies existed before that and was created by Namco. By your logic any new platform fighter that's not a smash bros fan game will be a rip off because it's visually and plays similar to one of the Smash Bros games made by Sakurai. Your use of rip off is irrelevant because you'll find plenty of clones, good or bad of every single genre out there. I see no bootleg Mario or muscled race car driver fighting in this game. They know their target audience and they know we love games like smash. I support this because it looks awesome, I dig the mechanics, character designs, and that fact that it's just great to see some variety out there since AAA devs won't step up make their own smash clone that's not like PSASBR or Battle Stadium D.O.N (game was hype though).

If you want to know how much of a "rip off" it is then do some #Research.
Because literally every game, piece of music, movie, book, etc. that you like is not derivative of something else.

How about we encourage indie devs like this, K? K.

For the sake of being current and super hip I will try to hashtag something too: #YouAreBeingADingus
It's like what D.O.T.A did with W.O.W. and subsequently what LoL did with D.O.T.A. I like it, and I encourage it so people can stop complaining about muh patches.
3 quotes, I wonder how many people think its necessary to try and tell me something about the word "rip off"
When I say "just how much this will be a rip off of", that's basically saying: "how many elements from the original formula will it steal?" *gets another alert* ...There is being a clone then there is being to much of one. Street fighter and mortal combat are very similar, but they aren't just stealing each others identities. This game steals what makes Smash brothers unique from a gameplay aspect, so I consider it a rip off for now. I haven't seen anything aside from parrying that isn't in a Smash Bros game.

That's not saying its bad, its just saying its very unoriginal. Slapping a different code of paint and changing the defensive option doesn't make it a new game.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Kind of yes. It's inspired by smash, it's primary target audience is smashers, and it's being developed by smashers. Since we're the target audience, we're the best people to showcase the game to and look to for advice and community input. It would make no sense to not cover it given how involved with our community the game is.

I would play it if it had a Wii U port.
Because you don't have an Xbox? Because as far as I'm aware it's also for PC, and will support Gamecube controllers.

3 quotes, I wonder how many people think its necessary to try and tell me something about the word "rip off"
When I say "just how much this will be a rip off of", that's basically saying: "how many elements from the original formula will it steal?" *gets another alert* ...There is being a clone then there is being to much of one. Street fighter and mortal combat are very similar, but they aren't just stealing each others identities. This game steals what makes Smash brothers unique from a gameplay aspect, so I consider it a rip off for now. I haven't seen anything aside from parrying that isn't in a Smash Bros game.

That's not saying its bad, its just saying its very unoriginal. Slapping a different code of paint and changing the defensive option doesn't make it a new game.
Other games essentially stole from Street Fighter what made it unique and made it their own. This game is doing the same. It has mechanics that makes it unique and mechanics that are ripped off from smash. Just like Mortal Kombat to Street Fighter. That doesn't make it bad. It revolutionizes the genre. You're essentially saying this game is a rip-off because no other game has already ripped smash off. I for one would love to see smash's concept change from a franchise to a full genre.

Last edited:

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
This game looks pretty fun. I might try it out when it's released.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If you want to see something unoriginal from me, check my sig. :p

Who cares who's copying who? You don't see Namco suing Nintendo because of the influences Super Mario Bros took from Pacland. If you're expecting to find originality in the year 2015 from the video game industry then you need to find a new hobby. Namco made a party fighter that had moving stages, stage hazards, items, a monkey with a gun, and two tag team characters that were kids. Sound familiar? SNK started the Multi franchise fighter first with The King of Fighters '94, not Sakurai or Nintendo. Smash had a dedicated block button in a fighting game. Too bad Ed Boon beat Sakurai first. So what exactly was Sakurai being original with? That coat of paint he originally had for Dragon King was replaced for Nintendo characters.

See there's a big variety of fighting games out there but not Smash style platform fighting games (not counting ssb fan games). You make it seem like a bad thing. I want nice things fam.

Also here's MK's very own Ken. His name is Kobra.:troll:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Looks a bit technical for my liking, but looks like it'd be great to watch in a tournament setting; looking forward to seeing more of this!

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
wouldn't it make sense to play on xbox controller on pc ? so your ready for tournaments which would be on xbox

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
looks like i can break it off with sakurai now

Last edited:
Top Bottom